Question of Sports Dominance

1 view

Stephen

May 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/26/96

This academic season, Clemson and played in a bowl game
(football), NCAA Tournament (Basketball), and is going to the College World
Series (Baseball). I think they're the only team that can claim this for all
three sports.

James Cox

May 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/27/96

srd...@primenet.com (Stephen) wrote:

You have a liberal definition of "dominance." That's not the word I'd
choose if my school had lost a bowl game by a score of 41-0, been
bounced from the NCAA basketball tournament in the first round, and
turned in seven straight "two and barbecue" performances in Omaha.

But good luck to the Tigers. I hope they can win a game in Omaha and
at least get that particular monkey off their back.

Craig K. Gowens (Commissioner of the SWc in '97)

May 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/27/96

Back in the 1992-93 Kansas made it to a bowl game, the Final Four
and the College World Series becoming the first team to ever do
all three in the same academic year. Several schools have been to
a bowl game, the NCAA basketball tourney and the College World
Series in the same year. I know Texas has done it three times.

Craig K. Gowens
Hook'em Horns

Big 12 Baseball page: http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~ckgowens/baseball/big12.html
Texas Baseball page: http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~ckgowens/baseball/texas.html
NCAA Tournament pare: http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/ncaa96/

The University of Texas at Omaha
College World Series Champions
1949 1950 1975 1983
College World Series Participants
1949 1950 1952 1953 1957 1961 1962 1963 1965
1966 1968 1969 1970 1972 1973 1974 1975 1979
1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1987 1989 1992 1993
NCAA Tournament Participants
1947 1949 1950 1952 1953
1954 1957 1958 1960 1961 1962 1963
1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973
1974 1975 1976 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984
1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991
1992 1993 1994 1995 1996

Stephen

May 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/27/96

In article <ckgowens-270...@slip-77-7.ots.utexas.edu> ckgo...@mail.utexas.edu (Craig K. Gowens (Commissioner of the SWc in '97)) writes:
>Back in the 1992-93 Kansas made it to a bowl game, the Final Four
>and the College World Series becoming the first team to ever do
>all three in the same academic year. Several schools have been to
>a bowl game, the NCAA basketball tourney and the College World
>Series in the same year. I know Texas has done it three times.

I know that each year there is 1 or 2 teams to pull this hat trick. Clemson's
done it at least one other time (1991?). Does anyone know if a school has
ever won a bowl game, won an NCAA Tournament basketball game, and won a CWS
game all in the same academic year?

Stephen

May 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/27/96

In article <4obhmd$m...@argentina.it.earthlink.net> lbj...@earthlink.net (James Cox) writes:
>You have a liberal definition of "dominance." That's not the word I'd
>choose if my school had lost a bowl game by a score of 41-0, been
>bounced from the NCAA basketball tournament in the first round, and
>turned in seven straight "two and barbecue" performances in Omaha.

>But good luck to the Tigers. I hope they can win a game in Omaha and
>at least get that particular monkey off their back.

Hopefully this year the team can be better focused since they take some CWS
experience with them.

Stephen

May 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/27/96

wrote:
>: Back in the 1992-93 Kansas made it to a bowl game, the Final Four

>: and the College World Series becoming the first team to ever do
>: all three in the same academic year. Several schools have been to
>: a bowl game, the NCAA basketball tourney and the College World
>: Series in the same year. I know Texas has done it three times.
> Interesting stuff. I wonder if FSU accomplished this in the early
>nineties.

I doubt it. Florida State hasn't exactly been a basketball school.

Luke S. Sheldon

May 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/27/96

>ckgo...@mail.utexas.edu (Craig K. Gowens (Commissioner of the SWc in '97))
> wrote:
> >: Back in the 1992-93 Kansas made it to a bowl game, the Final Four
> >: and the College World Series becoming the first team to ever do
> >: all three in the same academic year. Several schools have been to
> >: a bowl game, the NCAA basketball tourney and the College World
> >: Series in the same year. I know Texas has done it three times.

Back in 1986, LSU basically did the same as Kansas did in 1992-93, except
we got to a better (i.e. a New Year's Day) bowl game in addition to the
Final Four, hence placing LSU at the highest tier of the post-season
affairs for the three major sports that year (not too shabby). I mean, you
can't ask all that much more of an athletic program than that! Too bad
that we couldn't win them all, though. That would've been nice...

Stephen

May 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/27/96

I think Michigan did all 3 in the late 80's and/or early 90's. I may be off
by a year in one sport, but I think Clemson did all 3 in 91 (lost bowl game,
made it to final 8, made it to CWS).

Has any team won the national championship in 2 of the 3 sports the same
academic year?

CarlosA-E

May 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/28/96

ckgo...@mail.utexas.edu (Craig K. Gowens (Commissioner of the SWc in '97)) wrote:

: Back in the 1992-93 Kansas made it to a bowl game, the Final Four
: and the College World Series becoming the first team to ever do
: all three in the same academic year. Several schools have been to
: a bowl game, the NCAA basketball tourney and the College World
: Series in the same year. I know Texas has done it three times.

Interesting stuff. I wonder if FSU accomplished this in the early
nineties.

: Craig K. Gowens
: Hook'em Horns

J.J.Clyde

May 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/28/96

(Craig K. Gowens (Commissioner of the SWc in '97)) writes:
>>(Stephen) wrote:
>>
>> >This academic season, Clemson and played in a bowl game
>> >(football), NCAA Tournament (Basketball), and is going to the College World
>> >Series (Baseball). I think they're the only team that can claim this
>> >for all three sports.
>
>Back in the 1992-93 Kansas made it to a bowl game, the Final Four
>and the College World Series becoming the first team to ever do
>all three in the same academic year. Several schools have been to
>a bowl game, the NCAA basketball tourney and the College World
>Series in the same year. I know Texas has done it three times.

LSU has done the following:

in an academic year.....

1985-86 football......lost Liberty bowl
basketball....Final 4,
baseball......CWS, finished #5,
1986-87 football....SEC Champs/lost to Nebraska in Sugar
basketball....Final 8
baseball....CWS, finished #4

in a calendar year.....

1986 basketball....Final 4,
baseball......CWS, finished #5,
football....SEC Champs/lost to Neb/actual game played 1/1/87

1987 football....lost Sugar on 1/1/87
basketball....Final 8
baseball....CWS, finished #4
football....won Gator on 12/31/87, finished #5

...since then, only one other team has played in a NYD bowl game, made
it to the Sweet 16, and the CWS. That was Florida State in '90 or '91.
LSU one-upped them by getting to the Final 4.

--J.J.

Forrest Wesson

May 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/28/96

srd...@primenet.com (Stephen) wrote:
>In article <4odgs1$k...@news1.radix.net> CarlosA-E <pa...@radix.net> writes:
>>ckgo...@mail.utexas.edu (Craig K. Gowens (Commissioner of the SWc in '97))
>wrote:
>>: Back in the 1992-93 Kansas made it to a bowl game, the Final Four

>>: and the College World Series becoming the first team to ever do
>>: all three in the same academic year. Several schools have been to
>>: a bowl game, the NCAA basketball tourney and the College World
>>: Series in the same year. I know Texas has done it three times.
>> Interesting stuff. I wonder if FSU accomplished this in the early
>>nineties.
>
>I doubt it. Florida State hasn't exactly been a basketball school.

You don't know much about FSU do you.

Forrest Wesson

May 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/28/96

Two schools in NCAA history have schools played in New
Year’s Day Bowl, gone to the sweet 16 and gone to the CWS in
the same year. Those two teams are FSU and LSU.

Forrest Wesson

May 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/28/96

>...since then, only one other team has played in a NYD bowl game, made
>it to the Sweet 16, and the CWS. That was Florida State in '90 or '91.
>LSU one-upped them by getting to the Final 4.
>

>--J.J.

Yes, but FSU won their bowl game

Engineer

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

In article <4odgs1$k...@news1.radix.net>, pa...@radix.net says...

wrote:

>: Back in the 1992-93 Kansas made it to a bowl game, the Final Four
>: and the College World Series becoming the first team to ever do
>: all three in the same academic year. Several schools have been to
>: a bowl game, the NCAA basketball tourney and the College World
>: Series in the same year. I know Texas has done it three times.
> Interesting stuff. I wonder if FSU accomplished this in the early
>nineties.
>
>: Craig K. Gowens
>: Hook'em Horns

Yes, FSU did accomplish a New Year's Day Bowl, play in the Elite Eight in
basketball, and go to the CWS in the late eighties. Congrats to all the
Florida teams in the CWS and good luck!

Kevin (Kelsoman@Bridge.Net)

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

srd...@primenet.com (Stephen) wrote:

>I think Michigan did all 3 in the late 80's and/or early 90's. I may be off
>by a year in one sport, but I think Clemson did all 3 in 91 (lost bowl game,
>made it to final 8, made it to CWS).

>Has any team won the national championship in 2 of the 3 sports the same
>academic year?

No...it's never been done, but Miami has come closest...here are the
facts.....

1982 Baseball National Championship, Football # 6
1983 Football National Championship, Baseball CWS
1984 CWS, Football # 14
1985 Baseball National Championship, Football # 6
1986 Football # 2, Baseball Regionals
1987 Football National Championship, CWS
1988 Football # 2, CWS
1989 Football National Championship, CWS
1990 Football # 2, Baseball Regionals
1991 Football National Championship, CWS
1992 Football # 3, CWS
1993 Football # 14, Baseball Regionals
1994 Football # 3, CWS
1995 Football # 6, CWS
1996 CWS so far.....

All of this from a small poor private institution, take that all u
rich big State Schools.....

Kevin (Kels...@Bridge.Net)

Jeffrey Bechthold

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

On Wed, 29 May 1996, Kevin (Kels...@Bridge.Net) wrote:

> srd...@primenet.com (Stephen) wrote:
>
> >I think Michigan did all 3 in the late 80's and/or early 90's. I may be off
> >by a year in one sport, but I think Clemson did all 3 in 91 (lost bowl game,
> >made it to final 8, made it to CWS).
>
> >Has any team won the national championship in 2 of the 3 sports the same
> >academic year?
>
> No...it's never been done, but Miami has come closest...here are the
> facts.....

Are we talking about winning two of three national titles in football,
men's basketball and baseball? If so, USC has done it several times,
winning the football championship in the fall and the baseball title in
the spring.

In terms of academic school years, USC did it in 1962-63, 1967-68, and
1972-73. By the way, in 1962-63, the Trojans also won NCAA championships
in men's tennis, men's swimming and men's track & field.

If we're talking all three, then the Trojans don't qualify as they've
never won a basketball championship.

Later,
Jeff

michael

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

Actually, the first team to go to a New Years Bowl, Play in the Final
Four, and compete in the CWS would be LSU, 1986.

Stephen

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

In article <4ohg1q$j...@news.chattanooga.net> michael <tigers@tigers@mail.chattanooga.net> writes:
>Actually, the first team to go to a New Years Bowl, Play in the Final
>Four, and compete in the CWS would be LSU, 1986.

That doesn't count. We're considering only during the same academic year, not
calendar year.