Aggie Baseball -- Apr 2-3

1 view

HAMANN, JERRID RYAN

Apr 4, 1993, 1:33:00 PM4/4/93
Aggie pitcher Jeff Granger peers in for the sign for his soon-to-be
20th strikeout of the game. An Amtrak train rolls by Olsen Field, the
engineer blasting out the first line of the Texas Aggie War Hymn on the
engine's airhorn. To the tune of thousands of whoops and cheers, Granger
fires in strike three, en route to a SWC record of 21 strikouts in one game.
The Ags took two from Lubbock Christian this weekend, 16-0 Friday
night, behind Granger's 21 K's, and 18-3 Saturday. These two wins take
the Ags to a hard-fought 33-3, and surely a higher ranking in this week's
polls.
Anyone interested in seeing the wronghorns drop three straight:
April 30 7pm :: t.u. at A&M
May 1 & 2 :: A&M at t.u.

See you in Omaha,

Jerrid Hamann
Texas A&M University '96
jrh...@zeus.tamu.edu

Jim A. Andrews

Apr 5, 1993, 9:47:48 AM4/5/93
In article <4APR1993...@zeus.tamu.edu> jrh...@zeus.tamu.edu (HAMANN, JERRID RYAN) writes:

> Anyone interested in seeing the wronghorns drop three straight:
> April 30 7pm :: t.u. at A&M
> May 1 & 2 :: A&M at t.u.

Interesting -- I thought the Aggies played UT on those dates. Must be some
kind of scheduling conflict, sure hope they work it out. It'll be painful
to watch A&M drop from a 1/2/3 ranking all the way to, oh, 11 or 12.

Where they belong. Perhaps A&M will schedule some real noncon teams in '94.

J.J.Clyde

Apr 5, 1993, 9:55:07 AM4/5/93
(HAMANN, JERRID RYAN) writes:

> Aggie pitcher Jeff Granger peers in for the sign for his soon-to-be
>20th strikeout of the game. An Amtrak train rolls by Olsen Field, the
>
> [blah,blah,blah]
>
>See you in Omaha,
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>Jerrid Hamann
>Texas A&M University '96
>jrh...@zeus.tamu.edu

Dear Woof Gods,

Please do yo thang.

Sincerely,
--J.J.

MILLER, JIMMY A.

Apr 5, 1993, 10:45:26 AM4/5/93
In <1993Apr5.1...@nntpserver.chevron.com> hj...@usho77.hou281.chevron.com writes:

> (HAMANN, JERRID RYAN) writes:
> >
> >See you in Omaha,
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Dear Woof Gods,
>
> Please do yo thang.

Emergency Anti-Woof System activated:

Why surely, the aggies will be most fortunate win even 1 game in the
punishing world of SWC baseball, much less even hope to see Omaha anywhere but
on TV.

Emergency Anti-Woof System off.

This has been a prelimnary test of the Aggie Emergency Anti-Woofing System.
(AEAWS) Had there been an actual woof, you would have been notified by the
authorities. We now return you to your regularly scheduled newsgroup.

semper fi,

Jammer Jim Miller
Texas A&M University '89 and '91
* I don't speak for UH, which is too bad, because they could use the help. *
*"Become one with the Student Billing System. *BE* the Student Billing System."*
* "Power finds its way to those who take a stand. Stand up, Ordinary Man." *
* ---Rik Emmet, Gil Moore, Mike Levine: Triumph *

MILLER, JIMMY A.

Apr 5, 1993, 10:49:02 AM4/5/93
In <1993Apr5.1...@chpc.utexas.edu> eza...@chpc.utexas.edu writes:

> In article <4APR1993...@zeus.tamu.edu> jrh...@zeus.tamu.edu (HAMANN, JERRID RYAN) writes:
>
> > Anyone interested in seeing the wronghorns drop three straight:
> > April 30 7pm :: t.u. at A&M
> > May 1 & 2 :: A&M at t.u.
> >

> Interesting -- I thought the Aggies played UT on those dates. Must be some
> kind of scheduling conflict, sure hope they work it out. It'll be painful
> to watch A&M drop from a 1/2/3 ranking all the way to, oh, 11 or 12.

Ahh, one good woof deserves another. Hopefully they will cancel out. I fig-
ure we'll see another 2-1 split like most of the past decade. Then we have to
do the tourney. Vicious.

> Where they belong. Perhaps A&M will schedule some real noncon teams in '94.

Ahem. Like Mary-Hardin Baylor?

Jim A. Andrews

Apr 5, 1993, 11:19:20 AM4/5/93
In article <1ppgsu$c...@menudo.uh.edu> HADC...@admin.uh.edu (MILLER, JIMMY A.) writes:

> Ahh, one good woof deserves another. Hopefully they will cancel out. I fig-
>ure we'll see another 2-1 split like most of the past decade. Then we have to
>do the tourney. Vicious.

Vicious, yes. But that's the way it oughtta be!!!

>> Where they belong. Perhaps A&M will schedule some real noncon teams in '94.
>
> Ahem. Like Mary-Hardin Baylor?

Point taken -- but you gotta include Miami, Cal-State Fullerton, and so on,
and so on, and so on . . . actually, if you want to woof on UT, you should
start with Gus' refusal to leave the Austin City Limits, except at gunpoint.

MILLER, JIMMY A.

Apr 5, 1993, 2:25:20 PM4/5/93
In <seale.734031656@bcserv> se...@bcserv.wustl.edu writes:

> HADC...@admin.uh.edu (MILLER, JIMMY A.) writes:

> >ure we'll see another 2-1 split like most of the past decade. Then we have to
> >do the tourney. Vicious.
>
> >> Where they belong. Perhaps A&M will schedule some real noncon teams in '94.
>

> And that woof deserves another. Both of you still have to play Texas Tech
> Who is currently alone atop the SWC and who has the greatest baseball team
> ever.

Minor correction, Tech is tied with A&M atop the SWC at 5-1. Texas is cur-
rently 2-1. And I trust you meant best team ever *at Tech*. :-)

> BTW, Sheryl Swoopes has decided to play baseball for the rest of the
> season and pitch. I guess we'll get our second National Championship this
> year.

Nahh, I hear she's foregoing her remaining eligibility to play for the Mav-
ericks, whom I understand can use the help!

Scott Travis

Apr 5, 1993, 1:15:26 PM4/5/93
Am I glad! At last, I see some coverage of the Aggies! I was getting a bit sick
and tired of seeing only t.u. reports. I certainly hope there will be more to
come of A&M baseball here. Thanks for the news!!!

Oh,... and GIG 'EM AGS!!!!!! WHOOP!!!

--
Scott Travis VK7ST / KB5GEO _--_|\ "What? No Silicon Heaven?
University of Tasmania / \ Then where would all the
Scott Travis VK7ST / KB5GEO _--_|\ "What? No Silicon Heaven?
University of Tasmania / \ Then where would all the
VK...@VK7GL.TAS.AUS.OC \_.--._/ calculators go?"
s_tr...@postoffice.utas.edu.au v -Kryten

Seale (Jeff)

Apr 5, 1993, 1:40:56 PM4/5/93
HADC...@admin.uh.edu (MILLER, JIMMY A.) writes:
>ure we'll see another 2-1 split like most of the past decade. Then we have to
>do the tourney. Vicious.

>> Where they belong. Perhaps A&M will schedule some real noncon teams in '94.

And that woof deserves another. Both of you still have to play Texas Tech
Who is currently alone atop the SWC and who has the greatest baseball team

ever. BTW, Sheryl Swoopes has decided to play baseball for the rest of the

season and pitch. I guess we'll get our second National Championship this
year.

>Jammer Jim Miller
>Texas A&M University '89 and '91
>********************************************************************************

-Jeff

Jim A. Andrews

Apr 5, 1993, 2:51:55 PM4/5/93
In article <1pptig$r...@menudo.uh.edu> HADC...@admin.uh.edu (MILLER, JIMMY A.) writes:

> Minor correction, Tech is tied with A&M atop the SWC at 5-1. Texas is cur-
>rently 2-1.

Um, nope. I have Texas (5-1, 36-5) and A&M (5-1, 33-3) tied, with Tech (7-2,
29-8) sorta close. Texas swept TCU this weekend, and Tech must have gone 2-1.

By the way, I have the collective SWC record at 199-67 (0.748). This was
higher earlier in the season, but even so, only 40 nonconference losses between
7 teams ain't bad. So, how 'bout a collective SWC woof (uh-oh):

Three in Omaha. Maybe more? Oh jeez I did it now . . .

MILLER, JIMMY A.

Apr 5, 1993, 5:18:23 PM4/5/93
In <1993Apr5.1...@chpc.utexas.edu> eza...@chpc.utexas.edu writes:

> In article <1pptig$r...@menudo.uh.edu> HADC...@admin.uh.edu (MILLER, JIMMY A.) writes:
> >
> > Minor correction, Tech is tied with A&M atop the SWC at 5-1. Texas is cur-
> >rently 2-1.
>
> Um, nope. I have Texas (5-1, 36-5) and A&M (5-1, 33-3) tied, with Tech (7-2,
> 29-8) sorta close. Texas swept TCU this weekend, and Tech must have gone 2-1.

Ackk! Well, that's what I get for looking in the Daily Cougar, which is UH's
excuse for a student paper (I'm stuck working here, you see...).

> By the way, I have the collective SWC record at 199-67 (0.748). This was
> higher earlier in the season, but even so, only 40 nonconference losses between
> 7 teams ain't bad. So, how 'bout a collective SWC woof (uh-oh):
>
> Three in Omaha. Maybe more? Oh jeez I did it now . . .

You schmuck! Now you've gone and done it! :-) Hmmm: All three teams will
be slaughtered by LSU. That ought to get us out of hock and the tiggers in
hot water with the woof gawds.

Mark W. Leddy, Texas A&M

Apr 6, 1993, 11:50:00 AM4/6/93
In article <1993Apr5.1...@chpc.utexas.edu>, eza...@chpc.utexas.edu (Jim A. Andrews) writes...

>In article <4APR1993...@zeus.tamu.edu> jrh...@zeus.tamu.edu (HAMANN, JERRID RYAN) writes:
>
>> Anyone interested in seeing the wronghorns drop three straight:
>> April 30 7pm :: t.u. at A&M
>> May 1 & 2 :: A&M at t.u.
>>

>Interesting -- I thought the Aggies played UT on those dates.....

>Where they belong. Perhaps A&M will schedule some real noncon teams in '94.

Oh yeah.....like St.Mary's and the others that Texas plays, right?
Maybe we should play teams like Mary Hardin-Baylor and Lubbock Christian,
too.

Oh excuse me...my mistake. We did play MHB and LC (2 games each, as a matter
of fact). And what's this I see...we swept them. Hey, that's a pretty good
noncon performance considering those teams beat Texas earlier this year.

You want harder noncon schedules? Try playing ANY game on the road before
game #42 of the season. Everybody in the state know that Texas gets games
handed to them at the Disch....
Ex. A balk called on a Miami pitcher in the bottom of the 9th
with the game tied and Gardere (scrub) on third. UT wins.
Ex. On a sac fly that ties the game in the 8th, UT appeals the
tag-up and, SURPRISE!, the ump calls the runner from Lamar
out for leaving early, thus keeping Texas in the lead.

You want A&M to schedule real teams, but Gus cancels a 3-game series with
Arizona State because it's UT's turn to travel.....

Until you guys play on the road with neutral or, god forbid, UNFAVORABLE
umpiring, your schedule is no harder than anyone else's around.

Mark Leddy

...waiting for Gus to kill Brooks' arm from over using him like he
did to Kirk Dressendorfer's ......

Jim A. Andrews

Apr 6, 1993, 11:22:51 AM4/6/93
In article <6APR1993...@venus.tamu.edu> mwl...@venus.tamu.edu (Mark W. Leddy, Texas A&M) writes:
>In article <1993Apr5.1...@chpc.utexas.edu>, eza...@chpc.utexas.edu (Jim A. Andrews) writes...
>
>>Where they belong. Perhaps A&M will schedule some real noncon teams in '94.
>
>You want harder noncon schedules? Try playing ANY game on the road before
>game #42 of the season. Everybody in the state know that Texas gets games
>handed to them at the Disch....

Read my previous post acknowledging the fact that Gus hates to travel.

>You want A&M to schedule real teams, but Gus cancels a 3-game series with
>Arizona State because it's UT's turn to travel.....

Bullshit. The two teams tried to kill each other in their last series,
and given that the coaches are good friends, they postponed further play.
It's very possible they'll NEVER play each other again in the regular season.

>...waiting for Gus to kill Brooks' arm from over using him like he
>did to Kirk Dressendorfer's ......

This is my favorite myth about Gus. Opposing fans, coaches, etc., love
to rag on him about killing pitchers. Hell, some of the pro coaches do
it as well -- but let's not accuse THEM of having any ulterior motives.
My answer to anyone critical of Gus' handling of pitchers starts with

Roger Clemens

It then proceeds to

Greg Swindell

Shall I continue? Signing off in the Jammer anti-woof fashion:
Go Six-Pac! Go LSU! Go Cal-State! Omaha or bust . . . (is that eight?)

Joanna L. Castillo

Apr 6, 1993, 3:53:20 PM4/6/93
In article <6APR1993...@venus.tamu.edu> Mark W. Leddy, mwl...@venus.tamu.edu writes:

[Writing about how UT gets its wins:]

> Ex. A balk called on a Miami pitcher in the bottom of the 9th
> with the game tied and Gardere (scrub) on third. UT wins.

Excuse me but just about everyone in the stands yelled in unison with the
official that the pitcher balked. Miami did not contest the call. Just
because UT won the game on that call doesn't mean it was a bad call. If
you dislike having a balk rule in the game, tough noogies. UT takes
advantage of it and tries to get pitchers to balk -- it happens to work
once in a while.

> Ex. On a sac fly that ties the game in the 8th, UT appeals the
> tag-up and, SURPRISE!, the ump calls the runner from Lamar
> out for leaving early, thus keeping Texas in the lead.

UT won the game 10-5 -- that one run didn't end up meaning anything in
the final outcome. I agree that the call was probably bad. It sure
wasn't the only bad call in the game, though -- there were several. An
earlier call (by the same ump) called a Lamar runner safe at home and he
sure looked out. And, as a point of interest, that ump (the one you claim
served up the victory on a silver platter to Texas -- btw, were you at the
game in question?) officiated at a game last week. The minute he walked
out onto the field, he was booed quite loudly by the fans. That doesn't
sound like the kind of treatment he'd be expected to get if he'd been as
kind to UT as you claim. Not to me, anyway.

In summary, with the amount of ragging that the umps get from the fans at
the Disch (not to mention the arguments from the players), I doubt very
seriously that you could make a case for them going easy on the Horns.
All IMHO, of course.

Joanna (who can't believe she's being sucked into this pointless debate --
I really hate woof contests).

--
| "Whenever I dwell for any length of time on my own shortcomings, they |
| gradually begin to seem mild harmless, rather engaging little things, not |

David L. Crow

Apr 6, 1993, 4:21:27 PM4/6/93
mwl...@venus.tamu.edu (Mark W. Leddy, Texas A&M) writes:
>You want A&M to schedule real teams, but Gus cancels a 3-game series with
>Arizona State because it's UT's turn to travel.....

The ASU series was put on hold for 5 years because fights have erupted
the last two years. It was decided that the current personnel should
graduate before the series resumes.
--
----------- Opinions expressed are mine, not my employer's ----------
| David L. Crow | Internet: cr...@austin.ibm.com |

nelson jordan

Apr 8, 1993, 10:15:43 AM4/8/93
In article <1pq7mv$e...@menudo.uh.edu> HADC...@admin.uh.edu (MILLER, JIMMY A.) writes:
>In <1993Apr5.1...@chpc.utexas.edu> eza...@chpc.utexas.edu writes:
>
>> In article <1pptig$r...@menudo.uh.edu> HADC...@admin.uh.edu (MILLER, JIMMY A.) writes:
>> >
>> 7 teams ain't bad. So, how 'bout a collective SWC woof (uh-oh):
>>
>> Three in Omaha. Maybe more? Oh jeez I did it now . . .
>
> You schmuck! Now you've gone and done it! :-) Hmmm: All three teams will
>be slaughtered by LSU. That ought to get us out of hock and the tiggers in
>hot water with the woof gawds.

This one won't work with the woof-gods. It's gotta be a woof- not a fact!

MILLER, JIMMY A.

Apr 8, 1993, 10:46:35 AM4/8/93
In <1993Apr8.1...@b8.b8.ingr.com> jnjo...@clunker.b21.ingr.com writes:

> In article <1pq7mv$e...@menudo.uh.edu> HADC...@admin.uh.edu (MILLER, JIMMY A.) writes:
> >In <1993Apr5.1...@chpc.utexas.edu> eza...@chpc.utexas.edu writes:
> >> In article <1pptig$r...@menudo.uh.edu> HADC...@admin.uh.edu (MILLER, JIMMY A.) writes:

> >> 7 teams ain't bad. So, how 'bout a collective SWC woof (uh-oh):
> >>
> >> Three in Omaha. Maybe more? Oh jeez I did it now . . .
> >
> > You schmuck! Now you've gone and done it! :-) Hmmm: All three teams will
> >be slaughtered by LSU. That ought to get us out of hock and the tiggers in
> >hot water with the woof gawds.
>
> This one won't work with the woof-gods. It's gotta be a woof- not a fact!

All SWC fans may now relax. The enemy has apparently shot themselves in the
mouth...er, foot. :-)