composite bats--what the hell are they?

jon harrison

Dec 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/9/98
i know a guy who plays for sam houston state. he said last week the coaches
were talking about trying to get some composite bats ... just in case.
everything seems so wierd and unpredictable as far as the wood/metal thing
goes.
the kid played in the dallas college wooden bat league last summer. they had
some wooden bats, but broke them all quickly, and had to use composite bats.
they hated the composite bats. i guess they were heavy or something.
apparently, they are also indestructible, which i suppose would be the
allure for college coaches who don't want to use up all the wooden (easily
broken) bats.
who knows about them?

craig: tell me about those navarro boys. pouma (i'm not sure on the
spelling) is a serious hitter. how was his fall? how does he fit into the
plan? where's houser going to play?

what about that rhodes scholar? is he part of the plan?

jon harrison
irving TX

Koston

Dec 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/9/98
jon harrison wrote:

they are wooden bats with a polyuthene finish to help the durabilty of the bat

Craig K. Gowens

Dec 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/10/98
"jon harrison" <jo...@dhc.net> wrote:

> craig: tell me about those navarro boys. pouma (i'm not sure on the
> spelling) is a serious hitter. how was his fall? how does he fit into the
> plan? where's houser going to play?

Pumo is his name. Looked pretty good in the fall and is a good possibility
to start in right. I was very impressed with Houser. good bat and played
good D from what I saw. We haven't had a good defensive third baseman since
I've been here. They've all been good on offense (Flores, Byers, Salinas,
Johnson, Rumfield and Aspito) but lacking the glove.

> what about that rhodes scholar? is he part of the plan?

Augie has never seen fit to play Braswell much, even last year when Aspito
had some rather disasterous games defensively. At the very least he should
have been used as a late innings defensive replacement. He did get a few
starts though. Augie started him vs a&m last year in the games at College
Station, mainly because he has experience playing there and Olsen can be
a rough place to play for first time there. Braswell is a better shortstop
or second baseman, but with Moore and Nicholson at those spots, its doubtful
he'll play there much. I'm guessing he'll still be the primary backup this
year for the infield positions except first.

Craig K. Gowens
Hook'em Horns

--
Defacto 1998 Big XII Champions

1998: 34- 3 20-16 26-24
1997: 27-24
1996: 37-27 51-15

Steven Kidd

Dec 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/11/98
I'm a senior baseball pitcher at Georgia State University. I've pitched
against the composite bats in several collegiate summer leagues. The most
noteable composite bat is the Baum Bat.
It is a wood laminate that has been pressed together with a solid fiberglass
foam core.
Using the wood laminate makes the bat perform somewhat like a wood bat, but
the core prevents it from braking as easily (yes, they can be broken,
however it is very difficult to do so). They tend to be quite heavy
compared to wood bats and they don't hit quite as solidly as a wood bat.

Koston wrote in message <366EFFC0...@hotmail.com>...

>jon harrison wrote:
>
>> i know a guy who plays for sam houston state. he said last week the
coaches
>> were talking about trying to get some composite bats ... just in case.
>> everything seems so wierd and unpredictable as far as the wood/metal
thing
>> goes.
>> the kid played in the dallas college wooden bat league last summer. they
had
>> some wooden bats, but broke them all quickly, and had to use composite
bats.
>> they hated the composite bats. i guess they were heavy or something.
>> apparently, they are also indestructible, which i suppose would be the
>> allure for college coaches who don't want to use up all the wooden
(easily
>> broken) bats.
>> who knows about them?
>>

>> craig: tell me about those navarro boys. pouma (i'm not sure on the
>> spelling) is a serious hitter. how was his fall? how does he fit into the
>> plan? where's houser going to play?
>>

>> what about that rhodes scholar? is he part of the plan?

Jim Carr

Dec 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/11/98
NOSPAMc...@uts.cc.utexas.edu.REMOVEFORMAIL (Craig K. Gowens) writes:

>Defacto 1998 Big XII Champions

Is it legal to use Latin in Texas?

Anyway, Craig, I assume you know that Augie has been up in New York City
this summer working as the baseball expert for a new movie about a World
Series game (??) being filmed in Yankee Stadium. Are you worried that
the City will ruin his California style, not to mention his ability to
recruit in the south? ;-)

--
James A. Carr <j...@scri.fsu.edu> | Commercial e-mail is _NOT_
http://www.scri.fsu.edu/~jac/ | desired to this or any address

David Negrette

Dec 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/11/98

Jim Carr <j...@ibms48.scri.fsu.edu> wrote in message

>NOSPAMc...@uts.cc.utexas.edu.REMOVEFORMAIL (Craig K. Gowens) writes:

> Anyway, Craig, I assume you know that Augie has been up in New York City
> this summer working as the baseball expert for a new movie about a World
> Series game (??) being filmed in Yankee Stadium.

Rumor has it that he was also hangin' with the Kerndog, collaborating on a
new theatrical entitled: "Cheatin' Coaches, Violent Fans"

Craig K. Gowens

Dec 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/12/98
In article <74r9vv$1t$1...@news.fsu.edu>, j...@ibms48.scri.fsu.edu (Jim Carr) wrote:

> NOSPAMc...@uts.cc.utexas.edu.REMOVEFORMAIL (Craig K. Gowens) writes:
> >

> >Defacto 1998 Big XII Champions
>
> Is it legal to use Latin in Texas?

bona fide e pluribus unum dejure post hoc ergo propter hoc et cetera ;-)

> Anyway, Craig, I assume you know that Augie has been up in New York City
> this summer working as the baseball expert for a new movie about a World
> Series game (??) being filmed in Yankee Stadium.

Yep. He's actually in the movie from what I heard. He's the manager or
dugout coach or something.

> Are you worried that
> the City will ruin his California style, not to mention his ability to
> recruit in the south? ;-)

*His* California style could use some Texification and I'm more worried
about his ability to recruit in the southwest than the south. If Cal State
Austin is going to turn things around, we have to get the recruits in our
own state(s) first.

Craig K. Gowens
Hook'em Horns