Is it just me....???

Darin L. Ninness

Dec 31, 1994, 4:37:26 PM12/31/94

Is it just me, or is this crappy weather really a depressant
for newbie skydivers?? Just when the weather was looking OK,
some moron had to schedule Christmas right there...Somehow I
didn't think the family would appreciate me blowing off XMAS
for a jump weekend...hmmm.

The weather here in Michigan was getting really (unseasonably)
nice..but then it *was* Xmas weekend and since, the weather has
been for shit.

Who was that that said he (she?) was getting a little vicarious
experience by driving behind semis while sticking his head ouyt
the window??? Maybe I can get my girlfriend to drive while I...
nevermind...

l8r!
Darin

Chutestar

Dec 31, 1994, 6:50:56 PM12/31/94
Darin:
Cheer Up it's bound to get better. WE've had seven weeks of great weekday
weather and Sh---y weekend weather. Makes it damn tough to make a living
as an instructor.

Happy new year!

Scott

BADutile

Dec 31, 1994, 6:52:49 PM12/31/94
No Darin it's not just you!?!

Being a newbie skydiver myself.....actually, I did blow off Xmas with the
family to go jump....nobody was happy with that situation but me. Ah
well, call me selfish.

I actually drove eight hours to get to the drop zone, and a good portion
of that I had the window down....arm and head out the window....fantasy in
full flight....I would go on but I don't want to get too personal!

Between now and my next date with the DZ, I get my ya ya's out by walking
up to Coit Tower (I live in San Francisco), then I just start running down
the street at full speed (very steep, ever see streets of S.F.?), I throw
my arms out to my sides and dream! I think I really blow away some of the
tourists....none of the neighbors have complained yet! Yeah, I may be
crazy, but f this is crazy, I should have gone there a long time ago!

Peace and Blue Skies,

Bonnie

p.s. Can I call myself a skyiver yet if I haven't finished the AFF yet?

Tim Reynolds

Dec 31, 1994, 7:18:30 PM12/31/94
In article <3e4qsh$6...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,

BADutile <badu...@aol.com> wrote:
>No Darin it's not just you!?!

We've been in the 60s here in Denver for like 3 weeks; I've made 2 jumps.
Xmas weekend was perfect and neither DZ open. Today it's about 8 degrees
out. Three day weekend of )football(. God just kill me and done with it...

>I actually drove eight hours to get to the drop zone, and a good portion
>of that I had the window down....arm and head out the window....fantasy in
>full flight....I would go on but I don't want to get too personal!

Did you really drive like that?? I used to do that. ROFL :-)))

Geez, I have Sacramento newspapers and apartment guides and maps all kinds of
beer bottles and crap all over my floor where my furniture would be if I had
any, and I'm losing it. Why didn't I think of Sacramento before?? UGH!

>Between now and my next date with the DZ, I get my ya ya's out by walking
>up to Coit Tower (I live in San Francisco), then I just start running down
>the street at full speed (very steep, ever see streets of S.F.?), I throw
>my arms out to my sides and dream! I think I really blow away some of the
>tourists

I'm sure the tourists are busy being freaked out by weirder things than you
;-) Your co-workers will start raising eyebrows when you track around the
office and dirtdive and giggle in your area. Man I hate working rirght next
to an airport.

>p.s. Can I call myself a skyiver yet if I haven't finished the AFF yet?

You could call yourself a "whoffo" (hehe) but why?

7 more weeks...

Tim

eye...@pbs.org

Dec 31, 1994, 10:49:23 PM12/31/94
In article <3e4ium$e...@detroit.freenet.org>, ah...@detroit.freenet.org (Darin L. Ninness) writes:

> Is it just me, or is this crappy weather really a depressant
> for newbie skydivers?? Just when the weather was looking OK,
> some moron had to schedule Christmas right there...Somehow I
> didn't think the family would appreciate me blowing off XMAS
> for a jump weekend...hmmm.
>
> [stuff deleted]
> l8r!
> Darin

I used to think it sucked growing up in Arizona. Well, really, just around
the holidays. I never had a "white Christmas," like in all the Norman Rockwell
paintings. So I was glad to move to the east coast, where there are four
different seasons, and I was happy.
Then... I took up skydiving. Just this past year (1994). And now, I don't
really mind the idea of spending the holidays back with the family in Arizona.
Except my mom can't figure out why I keep wanting to drive down to Eloy... or
Marana... or Buckeye... or...

[Eric Yeater, for whom the Public Broadcasting Service is not responsible]
A-license... soon as I take the darn test...

Gregory Layton Reid

Jan 2, 1995, 7:09:30 AM1/2/95
Darin L. Ninness (ah...@detroit.freenet.org) wrote:

: Who was that that said he (she?) was getting a little vicarious

: experience by driving behind semis while sticking his head ouyt
: the window??? Maybe I can get my girlfriend to drive while I...
: nevermind...

You still have a girlfriend? Not much longer I suppose. They don't much
like having there guy taking off on Friday only to reappear broke late on
Sunday. If you like the one you have you better get her involved in
skydiving, or maybe you could just pick up a new one at the DZ.

\\||// ----------------------------------------------
(_ _) / Greg Reid ac...@cfn.cs.dal.ca /
{(o)(o)} / Halifax Nova Scotia _________________/
( [] ) / Canada C1290 /
-------oOO-\<>/-OOo-------------------------------

Kimberly Olsen

Jan 2, 1995, 9:34:53 PM1/2/95
aren't lodi and davis just two hours away or are you going all the way to
perris

Kimberly Olsen

Jan 2, 1995, 9:38:14 PM1/2/95
he he he he he he he he ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kim olsen
a-4404
-
KIMBERLY OLSEN NXZ...@prodigy.com

Barry Brumitt

Jan 4, 1995, 10:12:02 AM1/4/95
In article <05e_950...@crystal.dircon.co.uk> Mike.Ca...@crystal.dircon.co.uk (Mike Carmichael) writes:

I was three months away from getting married when my bride to be said
"It's me or the Skydiving". I replied, without thinking about it "I'm
gonna miss you". Now I live with a jumper and when weather permits we
are heading to the DZ. Isn't life just great sometimes.

I have nightmares like this sometime. However, they always end the way you
say...

... The only thing dangerous about skydiving is the ground.

And people who think airspeed alone is sufficient for exit seperation... :)

Barry

--
Barry L. Brumitt | bel...@frc2.frc.ri.cmu.edu | Disclaimer: Opinions
Robotics GradStudent | PGP Available Upon Request | given herein may not

Mike Carmichael

Jan 4, 1995, 6:02:41 AM1/4/95
ac> You still have a girlfriend? Not much longer I suppose. They don't
ac> much like having there guy taking off on Friday only to reappear broke
ac> late on Sunday. If you like the one you have you better get her
ac> involved in skydiving, or maybe you could just pick up a new one at
ac> the DZ.

I was three months away from getting married when my bride to be said
"It's me or the Skydiving". I replied, without thinking about it "I'm
gonna miss you". Now I live with a jumper and when weather permits we
are heading to the DZ. Isn't life just great sometimes.

Mike ;-)

... The only thing dangerous about skydiving is the ground.

--
Mike.Ca...@crystal.dircon.co.uk
| The Crystal Tower, Enfield, London 081-447-8244 V21-V32bis,HST |
| InterNet: crystal.dircon.co.uk FidoNet: 2:254/220 |

Ben Daniels

Jan 4, 1995, 10:45:04 AM1/4/95
In article <3e4qsh$6...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> badu...@aol.com (BADutile) writes

(deleted)

>Between now and my next date with the DZ, I get my ya ya's out by walking
>up to Coit Tower (I live in San Francisco), then I just start running down
>the street at full speed (very steep, ever see streets of S.F.?), I throw
>my arms out to my sides and dream! I think I really blow away some of the
>tourists....none of the neighbors have complained yet! Yeah, I may be
>crazy, but f this is crazy, I should have gone there a long time ago!
>
>Peace and Blue Skies,
>
>Bonnie
>
>p.s. Can I call myself a skyiver yet if I haven't finished the AFF yet?

You certainly talk like one. Actually I've met a few skydivers who hadn't
even made a jump yet - but they were about to - sometimes you can kind of
tell :-) :-)

I lived in San Francisco before I came to Boulder. One day I went up to
twin peaks where the wind really blows. I climbed up on the wall and got
in my best track position and lifted up about 10 ft off the ground. It was
great! But then I noticed some tourists looking at me so I came back down
and tried to look nonchalant.

Skratch

----------------
bdan...@csn.org

John Luke Mills

Jan 5, 1995, 9:54:53 AM1/5/95
Barry Brumitt (bel...@frc2.frc.ri.cmu.edu) wrote:

: In article <05e_950...@crystal.dircon.co.uk> Mike.Ca...@crystal.dircon.co.uk (Mike Carmichael) writes:

: I was three months away from getting married when my bride to be said
: "It's me or the Skydiving".

I must be one of the luckiest guys around. I was jumping a lot when I
met my wife. I stopped for a while, my choice. When I was thinking about
getting back into it, she was all for the idea, even though she doesn't
jump. She is fairly knowledgeable about the sport and she put on the
condition of no CRW. (The idea of being wrapped again really gives me
the willies, so it is easy to the condition.)

She believes I am easier to live with when I am jumping. I am
also starting to get the idea that she likes being associated with
someone who is adventurous.
--
)
o /
> / )__ __
/ / / ) )
/ ( / ( (
(__/

s...@hybrid.com

Jan 4, 1995, 12:40:44 PM1/4/95

> p.s. Can I call myself a skyiver yet if I haven't finished the AFF yet?

You certainly are a skydiver. You become a skydiver when you begin to
dream of falling or peddling your trike fast enough to get airborne.
You become a skydiver when you marvel at the birds, the clouds, or a
wind-blown leaf. You stay a skydiver as long as you continue to be able
to look at life through the eyes of a child.

All the rest of it is just a matter of the implementation schedule.
Congratulations.

raff

Brenton Faulkner Milner

Jan 5, 1995, 1:28:30 PM1/5/95

I am without a doubt luckier than a pig in shit. I turned my
wife on to skydiving when we were dating, and she loved it
(like I knew she would). She is a natural, and with about one
hundred jumps is making 20 ways with folks with 500+ skydives.
We got engaged at the dropzone (I got her a Cypress instead of
a ring. You should have seen her whuffo friend's and family's
faces when she showed it off. When they asked "Yea, but where
is the ring?" She would look them in the eye and say, "Hey, a ring
can't save your life." We got married at the DZ, did a 20 way jump
in to the ceremony at the landing area, and the pilot did a
cool low altitude buzz over the crowd on take off. And, she
definitely understands when I go to the DZ on Friday and come
home broke Sunday.

Yahoo!!!

Blue Skies, Dark Beer

Brent

BADutile

Jan 5, 1995, 5:37:57 PM1/5/95
AHHHH Brent!

That's so perrty it brings tears to my eyes!

Wishing you many years of happieness and blue skies!

Peace,

Bon

Ron Lee

Jan 6, 1995, 5:01:32 AM1/6/95

: You still have a girlfriend? Not much longer I suppose. They don't much
: like having there guy taking off on Friday only to reappear broke late on
: Sunday. If you like the one you have you better get her involved in
: skydiving, or maybe you could just pick up a new one at the DZ.

My Girlfriend said she'd leave me if I ever went skydiving again ...

God I miss Her.

nuff said,

Ron ;-)

Pete Shew

Jan 7, 1995, 11:20:03 AM1/7/95

Luck? you don't know the meaning of the word. My wife and I had been
happily married for twenty one years when we both started skydiving
together - and both took to it like a duck to water. We are totally
incomprehensible to friends and family (the non-skydivers of course) as
we spend all our free time and holidays sitting on airfields.

Oh, and as if that weren't enough, our son started parachuting on the
same day as we did :-)

Pete Shew D10029
pete...@cix.compulink.co.uk

BADutile

Jan 7, 1995, 8:39:40 PM1/7/95
.> jmi...@cass.ma02.bull.com writes:
.> > Barry Brumitt (bel...@frc2.frc.ri.cmu.edu) wrote:
.> > : In article <05e_950...@crystal.dircon.co.uk>
.> > > Mike.Ca...@crystal.dircon.co.uk (Mike Carmichael) writes:
.> >
[...]

.> > --
.>
[...]

So, the moral of the story would be:

"The family that dives together, thrives together!"

Tim Reynolds

Jan 7, 1995, 11:42:13 PM1/7/95
In article <D21Mp...@cix.compulink.co.uk>,

Pete Shew <pete...@cix.compulink.co.uk> wrote:
>Luck? you don't know the meaning of the word. My wife and I had been
>happily married for twenty one years when we both started skydiving
>together - and both took to it like a duck to water. We are totally
>incomprehensible to friends and family (the non-skydivers of course) as
>we spend all our free time and holidays sitting on airfields.
>
>Oh, and as if that weren't enough, our son started parachuting on the
>same day as we did :-)

I suddenly have great respect for you.

Cheers,

Tim

>Pete Shew D10029
>pete...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Paul Fries

Jan 10, 1995, 12:11:20 PM1/10/95
It really doesn't matter who said:

>> I was three months away from getting married when my bride to be said
>> "It's me or the Skydiving".
>
>I must be one of the luckiest guys around. I was jumping a lot when I
>met my wife. I stopped for a while, my choice. When I was thinking about
>getting back into it, she was all for the idea, even though she doesn't
>jump. She is fairly knowledgeable about the sport and she put on the
>condition of no CRW. (The idea of being wrapped again really gives me
>the willies, so it is easy to the condition.)
>
> She believes I am easier to live with when I am jumping. I am
>also starting to get the idea that she likes being associated with
>someone who is adventurous.

I can do at least as well.

I was sporadically jumping when my wife and I met. A while later,
I decided to get back into it, and she thought I should consider newer
gear to maximize the good aspects. When we were to have our first
child, all she wanted was for me to get a CYPRES.

By the way, she has made a tandem jump. She says that jumping isn't
for her, but that she can certainly understand that the experience
would evoke a passionate response from the right persons.

Paul Fries
p...@alantec.com