Thanks & another question

1 view

ko...@netcom.com

Jul 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/26/95
Sorry, I'll try this again.

A while back I'd posted about a hard opening I'd experienced with my
first tandem jump and the neck pain it had caused and I asked for any
advice on how to help eliminate that problem in furture jumps. I'd
also had a bit of a problem with bruising from the straps between my
legs. I had hoped to log on and report the results of my second jump
sooner but, unfortunately, I wasn't able to make the next jump until
this past Friday. I would now like to thank everyone for their help and
report that the opening this time was as soft as it could be. I was also
left bruise free. I requested the same tandem master as I'd had before and
spoke with him about the problem with my neck and he took the extra pre-
caution of holding my head during the opening which seemed to help as well.
So, once again, I would like to thank everyone who responded and I would now
like to pose yet another question. I was planning to begin AFF training
after the second tandem dive but there's one thing that's still bothering
me and it actually bothered me more the second time than the first. I
seem to have a difficult time breathing while in freefall. Is there a
secret to it? I don't smoke. I've had asthma but haven't been bothered
by it at all in about twelve years. I brought my son-in-law for his first
dive Friday as well and he said he had no problem breathing at all. I've
decided to go to the DZ this weekend and do another tandem and try to
concentrate on this as I'd feel much more comfortable going into AFF
training with all my wits about me so to speak. Anyway, are there any
suggestions out there regarding breathing in freefall? Am I the only one
who's experiencing this? Am I wasting my time and money doing these
tandems and trying to get things right before going into AFF or should I
just dive in? I'm afraid this skydiving thing has really gotten a hold of
me. I've found that no matter what's happening in my life...whatever's hit
the fan...when I'm crouching in the doorway of the plane and the wind's
blowing in my face, nothing else matters and everything's in it's proper
perspective. By the time my feet touch the ground, it's as if the slate
has been wiped clean and I'm ready to face the world again. I hope this
feeling never goes away!
After experiencing this past jump - soft opening, even softer landing -
I drove the 1 1/2 hours home, went to bed, woke up the next morning and I
don't know what hit me but I drove back to the DZ and spent the next two
days watching experienced divers land. Studying each one and how they
flared, when they flared, how the wind affected the landings, etc. Yes, I
think the bug has bitten. :-) Anyway, thanks for any help you all can
give.
I'd also like to ask about protocol here. I've requested the same tandem
master for both jumps and I'm wondering if this is kosher or if you're
supposed to take whoever's up next. I'd really like to continue with this
guy as I feel very comfortable with him but on the other hand, I don't want
to be a nuisance.
Just one more thing, and I apologize for the lengthy post. If there is
someone on this list, possibly named Scott (black van - Midnight Cruzer)
who was at Skydance this weekend, thank you once again for the use of your
chair. Sorry I didn't get to thank you in person.
--Barb
Barbara Kangas
Cupertino, CA
ko...@netcom.com

Ben Daniels

Jul 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/26/95

>just dive in? I'm afraid this skydiving thing has really gotten a hold of
>me. I've found that no matter what's happening in my life...whatever's hit
>the fan...when I'm crouching in the doorway of the plane and the wind's
>blowing in my face, nothing else matters and everything's in it's proper

She sounds hooked to me :-) :-)

Skratch (33 years later)

----------------
bdan...@csn.net

Isugent

Jul 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/26/95
Barb, welcome to the sport !

As far as breathing in freefall goes, I distincly remember my first tandem
2 years ago : I had to make a conscious effort to breathe, the ground was
blurry, the wind was incredible, it was utter chaos !

The next jump was much better : I could see the fields and houses, I
didn't have to actually think about breathing, I got a feel for where Up
and Down were :-)

In other words, I think the brain just needs some time to adjust to the
radical experience that is Freefall, and you should be fine in one or two
more jumps.

Let us know !

Isabelle Sugent - A21115
Cypres-equipped

Barry Brumitt

Jul 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/27/95

> I was planning to begin AFF training
> after the second tandem dive but there's one thing that's still bothering
> me and it actually bothered me more the second time than the first. I
> seem to have a difficult time breathing while in freefall. Is there a
> secret to it? I don't smoke. I've had asthma but haven't been bothered
> by it at all in about twelve years. I brought my son-in-law for his first
> dive Friday as well and he said he had no problem breathing at all. I've
> decided to go to the DZ this weekend and do another tandem and try to
> concentrate on this as I'd feel much more comfortable going into AFF
> training with all my wits about me so to speak. Anyway, are there any
> suggestions out there regarding breathing in freefall?

No gills comments. I promise. :)

Seriously, every now and then peple experience this. I've even seen it happen
once to someone with 40-50 jumps. I think it's due to either just "nerves"
(you're hyperventialting, trying to catch your breath) or (PERHAPS!) failling
with you mouth open. Try making sure it's closed. This is a stretch, but it
might work. I'm confident this "problem" will go away.

> Am I wasting my time and money doing these
> tandems and trying to get things right before going into AFF or should I
> just dive in?

Do what *you* are comfortable with, and don't let anyone else tell you
otherwise. If you're ready for AFF, go for it. If not, not.

I'm afraid this skydiving thing has really gotten a hold of
> me. I've found that no matter what's happening in my life...whatever's hit
> the fan...when I'm crouching in the doorway of the plane and the wind's
> blowing in my face, nothing else matters and everything's in it's proper

> perspective. By the time my feet touch the ground, it's as if the slate
> has been wiped clean and I'm ready to face the world again. I hope this
> feeling never goes away!

Party on. I think I can relate pretty well :) :) :)

> After experiencing this past jump - soft opening, even softer landing -
> I drove the 1 1/2 hours home, went to bed, woke up the next morning and I
> don't know what hit me but I drove back to the DZ and spent the next two
> days watching experienced divers land. Studying each one and how they
> flared, when they flared, how the wind affected the landings, etc. Yes, I
> think the bug has bitten. :-) Anyway, thanks for any help you all can
> give.

Wow. Maybe I *would* recommend AFF, though the excitement of it might make
your head explode. <grin>

> I'd also like to ask about protocol here. I've requested the same tandem
> master for both jumps and I'm wondering if this is kosher or if you're
> supposed to take whoever's up next. I'd really like to continue with this
> guy as I feel very comfortable with him but on the other hand, I don't want
> to be a nuisance.

Drop Zones are a business. If you're getting good service from someone, and
don't mind waiting til he's availalbe, again, do what *you* are comfortable
with!

Blue skies... and seeya at Quincy next year?
Barry
--
Barry L. Brumitt | bel...@frc2.frc.ri.cmu.edu |99.9%|Disclaimer: Opinions
Robotics GradStudent| Skydive! D-15427,SL/AFF I'95 | PGP |given herein may not

Barry Chase-D9545/AFF I'94/Tandem Instructor

Jul 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/28/95
On Wed, 26 Jul 1995 09:04:42 GMT, ko...@netcom.com wrote:
= I seem to have a difficult time breathing while in freefall. Is there a
= secret to it? I don't smoke. I've had asthma but haven't been bothered

This comes up now and again in the group, and it's just a matter
of relaxing. Your system is getting charged with a WHOLE lot of
adrenaline, and you're pretty much just forgetting how to breathe.
Really.
During your level 1 free time, take a moment and inhale and exhale
slowly. All of a sudden you won't have a problem any more.

= I'd also like to ask about protocol here. I've requested the same tandem
= master for both jumps and I'm wondering if this is kosher or if you're
= supposed to take whoever's up next. I'd really like to continue with this
= guy as I feel very comfortable with him but on the other hand, I don't want
= to be a nuisance.

In fact, after I had made a few of the AFF jumps with one man, he
has brought two of his three daughters out and requested that *I* take
them on their tandem jumps. Much like a waiter in a restaurant, if you
ask, you can get the same one, you just might have to wait a little if
it's busy. That part is up to you.
Of course, the tandem master's signifigant other might have an
opinion or two! *8->

--
I'm afraid there's a five day wait for the handgun,
but you can have the knife today, Mr. Simpson