Another "not just another Wednesday"

Livendive

May 3, 2001, 5:26:21 PM5/3/01
Last week, I posted a little bit about our DZ and Wednesday jumps, then
about JM'ing a friend and getting my 8-stack, both of which seemed a bit out
of the ordinary and incredibly fun for mid-week. Well yesterday was again
far from ordinary for me, though at the other end of the spectrum.

I made one jump yesterday, and it wasn't at our DZ, but rather way out in
the country. I was jumping my friend Mike's rig, and launched a 4-way with
friends Bill, Larry, and Bob. I pulled out of the 4-way at about 5300 feet,
and watched the other three fall away with an open slot. About 10 seconds
later, Bill pulled and Larry and Bob turned and tracked, pulling 3 and 6
seconds after Bill. The "preferred" landing area was extremely tight, and
3-D, as it was surrounded by trees on all 4 sides. With my brakes still
stowed, I watched Larry make one final turn inside the trees and slide in
his landing, ending up back on his feet. Then Bob entered the area in deep
brakes, and without any flare left, tumbled but stood up immediately.
Bill's entry looked pretty good from my vantage point, as I couldn't tell he
set up a couple feet low and his body went through some of the branches, but
he had a nice standup landing near the middle. This is when I unstowed the
brakes, at about 2500 feet. I did a couple spirals and started checking
drive in each direction while over the top of the landing area. When I was
at about 800 feet, a friend on the ground rotated the arrow in the landing
area 90 degrees, suggesting I not take the same approach the first three
guys did. Hey, sometimes ya gotta adapt, but I was still wishing there was
a gap in the trees on the new approach side like the one in the "Plan A"
corner (that Bill had recently widened for me). As I sashayed on my base
leg, trying to get closer to the tops of the trees, I realized my outs were
going to disappear in a matter of seconds, and I'd then be committed to the
landing area. A braked 150 degree turn, and I let the toggles up to dive in
next to the trees. I recovered from the dive about halfway across the
landing area, flared and touched down about 2/3rds of the way across. I
still had some forward speed and had to run a few steps. On my 4th step, I
looked up and saw two branches sticking out. At the same time as I was
thinking "Damn...", I was amazed that this was going to end in a manner I
couldn't have pulled off if scripted. I stopped and the canopy settled it's
end cells on those two branches, with the middle supported by smaller stuff
in between.

I pulled the cutaway handle and walked about 6 feet to join the hushed
people gathered there. I then turned and looked back at Mike's canopy
hanging there, with a sadly empty spot between the still, perfectly spread
risers, and listened while the bugler finished playing "Taps", which he'd
started as I set up for final.

Blue skies Mike.
Dave

Our friend Mike Moore was killed in a car accident last Saturday night, at
the age of 34. You always hear "he was the nicest guy you'd ever want to
meet", but when describing Mike, it is not lip service. He really was an
absurdly generous soul. I'm thankful I got the chance to hug him and thank
him for the unexpected nice things he did for me, but sincerely wish I'd had
the chance to return the favors of friendship. His family buried him in his
jumpsuit and helmet, and donated his rig to our dropzone, in memory of the
good times he had with us. The rig is not for sale or rent. At the request
of Mike's family, it will be made available to young jumpers who can't
afford their own gear yet. Basically new and containing decent sized
canopies (Tri-190 main), it should suit that purpose very well.

When looking through Mike's stuff, his family came across several notepads
he'd used to write down little thoughts on religion, risk, and life in
general. One of his most recent entries was as follows: "A person's life
is not a means to an end. It is an end in itself. There is no specific
place that you can get to and then say "I've had a complete life." Every
moment of every day, your life is "complete." The journey can and will end
suddenly, and then it will be complete."

D15159

May 3, 2001, 6:53:55 PM5/3/01
>The "preferred" landing area was extremely tight, and
>3-D, as it was surrounded by trees on all 4 sides.

Sorry about your friend. A couple of years ago I lost a good one too (on a demo
just like yours). Save me a slot Scott! Blues, JG

Alive...@aol.com

May 3, 2001, 9:34:31 PM5/3/01
Very nicely spoken Mr. Todak.  That flipn landing area is the smallest I'm
ever going to try for, if it wasn't for Mike's family I wouldn't have tried.

Blue sky

Alive...@aol.com

May 3, 2001, 9:47:59 PM5/3/01
Besides I knew I could kick THAT tree's ass !!!!

DZ SCUBIE

May 4, 2001, 10:25:14 AM5/4/01
>He really was an
>absurdly generous soul. I'm thankful I got the chance to hug him and thank
>him for the unexpected nice things he did for me, but sincerely wish I'd had
>the chance to return the favors of friendship.

Dave, look up and see Mikes smile, your post has lifted my spirit and put a
smile on my face and I thank you for that. I would have liked to have met your
friend.

Sean
aka "The Fed"

TY

May 4, 2001, 11:27:28 AM5/4/01
When I first read your post, Dave, I didn't see the second part of it, so I was
having trouble understanding the meaning of it. After reading some of the other
and the hairs on my arms just stood right up. What a fitting tribute. It's
amazing how things turn out sometimes. I'm very sorry to hear about your
friend, Mike. My condolences. What a neat idea for his family to do with his
rig. My thoughts are with you all.

Blue ones forever,
Donna

David King

May 4, 2001, 12:12:34 PM5/4/01

> I made one jump yesterday, and it wasn't at our DZ, but rather way out in
> the country. I was jumping my friend Mike's rig,

Thank you Dave,what a wonderful tribute for your friend.
Blue Skies Mike