Burton Slide Test

Nora Maidansky

Mar 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/7/97

Does anyone have an opinion on the slide test from the burton binding
manual for which foot forward?

I was just setting up my new Burton board with the new Burton bindings.
I almost skipped "which foot forward" section since I have been riding
for a few years(regular). Then I decided to read it anyway. They suggest
to slide accross a smooth floor in socks to see which foot you put
forward. That is the same foot to put forward on the board.

Well, I did that and I definetly prefer my right foot. Which means I
have been riding the wrong stance for the last 6 years. When I
originally was determining which foot forward, someone did the push test
on me. Does any one have any suggestions as far as what is the better
test? I could just try it but I am afraid that if goofy is my preferred
stance, I still may not find it more comfortable because I am so used
to regular.

Any ideas?

Erik Runeland

Mar 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/8/97

Hmm.. It's an interesting question indeed. When I started out
snowboarding, not as long ago as six years but anyhows, I heard about
that sliding test, and I did it, and it told me I am goofy too. I t
makes sense, since I have been doing fencing for many years, and there
the stance is very goofy. I tried both goofy & regular the first day,
but of som strange reason I stuck to regular, and now that's the way
that feels comfortable. I have been thinking about switching to goofy
now that I have learnt how to get down the hill, but it would suck to
be a beginner again. Ouch, I already feel that familiar 'backwards
dive' pain in the back of my head... ;)
Regarding the actual linoleum test, I think it makes more sense
thatn most other strange tests out there. It actually shows how your
body likes to keep the balance. Maybe the other tests show that too,
but to me, this sounds like the test most likely to work good.

/Erik

Willliam Schnebel

Mar 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/8/97

Nora Maidansky wrote:

> Does anyone have an opinion on the slide test from the burton binding
> manual for which foot forward?
>
> I was just setting up my new Burton board with the new Burton bindings.
> I almost skipped "which foot forward" section since I have been riding
> for a few years(regular). Then I decided to read it anyway. They suggest
> to slide accross a smooth floor in socks to see which foot you put
> forward. That is the same foot to put forward on the board.
>
> Well, I did that and I definetly prefer my right foot. Which means I
> have been riding the wrong stance for the last 6 years. When I
> originally was determining which foot forward, someone did the push test
> on me. Does any one have any suggestions as far as what is the better
> test? I could just try it but I am afraid that if goofy is my preferred
> stance, I still may not find it more comfortable because I am so used
> to regular.
>
> Any ideas?

I also ride regualar, but all the tests say I should be goofy. If you've
riding regular for 6 years and you feel comfortable I would not change
it now. These tests are just to give you a idea of which way you should
ride they are not the law.

Willy

Dave Roberts

Mar 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/10/97

Nora Maidansky wrote:

> Well, I did that and I definetly prefer my right foot. Which means I
> have been riding the wrong stance for the last 6 years. When I
> originally was determining which foot forward, someone did the push test
> on me. Does any one have any suggestions as far as what is the better
> test?

I ride regular, but when sliding about on lino, I used to put my right
foot forward. I think it's a bad test. I surfed long before I got on
a snowboard and riding regular was just natural for me. I believe that
the body prefers different feet depending on the situation. On lino,
your leaning back more that you would on a snowboard. Awww heck -
what do I know.

I think the best test is to borrow someones skateboard for an hour, and
roll down a gentle slope. It will soon be apparent which is the
easiest.

- Dave.

John O'Dea

Mar 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/10/97

When I was starting, I was given a alternative test - "Try and barge down a
door and see which shoulder gets bruised" (or at least imagine it). At
least it's a bit more dramatic.

I guessed myself as goofy, as did 3/4 of the class I learned with, but I
came to the same conclusion on the slide test anyway.

John

Bob Immler

Mar 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/11/97

Nora Maidansky wrote:

> Does anyone have an opinion on the slide test from the burton binding
> manual for which foot forward?

The slide test doesn't work with me. When sliding, I feel equally
comfortable with either foot forward. But on a board (and a water ski)
I've always ridden with my right foot forward...goofy!

RP Pelletier

Mar 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/11/97
to Nora Maidansky

Another simple test for the one foot forward thingy is serving a
vollyball. Provided you've served one before.

Just close your eyes and act like you are going to serve a vollyball.
Which foot do you automagically put forward?

Like all other tests, this is also subject to failure. It also tends to
favour your strong hand. But run a couple of these test thingies and
you'll eventually hit home.

rgds

-rpp

Bob Immler

Mar 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/11/97

RP Pelletier wrote:

> Another simple test for the one foot forward thingy is serving a
> vollyball. Provided you've served one before.
>
> Just close your eyes and act like you are going to serve a vollyball.
> Which foot do you automagically put forward?

Just got back from playing volleyball. I serve with my left foot
forward. But I board goofy.

First time I went they did the "push" test and I put out my right foot.
Since then I've been riding goofy. Can't imagine riding with my left
foot forward. Also waterski with the right foot forward.

JakStraw1

Mar 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/12/97

I boarded (regular) for a year and then noticed that when walking the dog
down a snowy hill I would slide down it goofy. So, I took a morning,
switched my bindings around and spent a couple of hours getting the crap
beat out of me at a local resort by the bunny hill!!! It was almost worse
than the first time I boarded! The moral of the story--if you have been
boarding for 6 years and are thinking of switching you may be asking for a
world of hurt. It probably isn't hurting you to slide the way you
currently do.
just my humble $.02.

HAAVARD JAKOBSEN

Mar 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/12/97

I serve with my left foot forward(because my right arm is stronger and
more coordinated. Anyone that are right handed should serv this way.)
If someone pushes me on ice, I will put my right foot forward.(because
it is stronger, more dominat)
If someone pushes me in the back I will put my right foot forward.
(because it is stronger and will catch me better.)
I ride regular, because my right leg is stronger(!?!?!?!)
(I like powder ALOT)

My advise is: get on a mountain. Set your board up regular.
If you think it doesn't work, and feel that you want to ride
fakie all the time switch... (it's only 4 screws to loosen and tighten)

Nicholas Palmer

Mar 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/13/97

Heres the best way. Stand with your feet side by side and your eyes
closed. Have someone go behind you and give you a "gentle" push. Which
ever foot you put out in front to balance is the one you'd put forward
on a board. This way works best though if the person being tested
doesn't know that your testing them, because that way the body just
reacts, no the brain.

Nick.

Bruce Wallace

Mar 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/17/97

What about the "hurdle" test?
Actually I just made that up - but...
When attempting to jump a small hurdle, or fence
or rock, do you favor leading right leg first
or left leg first?
I ride goofy, and find this test reflective of
of my stance preference.

Bruce

Markasan

Mar 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/26/97

That tip is worthless!!!

RP Pelletier <ran...@moscow.nsc.com> skrev i inlägg
<332592...@moscow.nsc.com>...

> Another simple test for the one foot forward thingy is serving a
> vollyball. Provided you've served one before.
>
> Just close your eyes and act like you are going to serve a vollyball.
> Which foot do you automagically put forward?

Apr 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/5/97

I've just been to Scotland, and decided that after learning to ride
regular, coming down the slopes on snow, I prefer Goofy...... I can
turn far better....only thing is, when I get back on plastic, I
can't!! Can't figure that one out at all.... I Waterski with my
right foor forward, I wakeboard the same way, I've surfed that way
too, but I ride regular on plastic, and goofy on snow......

Awww hell..... I'll just have to learn both ways then I can just show
off!!! NOT!

Cheers

mailto:cas...@enterprise.net

On Fri, 07 Mar 1997 09:14:07 -0500, Nora Maidansky

<no...@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

>Does anyone have an opinion on the slide test from the burton binding
>manual for which foot forward?
>

>I was just setting up my new Burton board with the new Burton bindings.
>I almost skipped "which foot forward" section since I have been riding
>for a few years(regular). Then I decided to read it anyway. They suggest
>to slide accross a smooth floor in socks to see which foot you put
>forward. That is the same foot to put forward on the board.
>

>Well, I did that and I definetly prefer my right foot. Which means I
>have been riding the wrong stance for the last 6 years. When I
>originally was determining which foot forward, someone did the push test
>on me. Does any one have any suggestions as far as what is the better

Jack Michaud

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

><no...@bellatlantic.net> wrote:
>
>>I was just setting up my new Burton board with the new Burton bindings.
>>I almost skipped "which foot forward" section since I have been riding
>>for a few years(regular). Then I decided to read it anyway. They suggest
>>to slide accross a smooth floor in socks to see which foot you put
>>forward. That is the same foot to put forward on the board.
>>
>>Well, I did that and I definetly prefer my right foot. Which means I
>>have been riding the wrong stance for the last 6 years. When I
>>originally was determining which foot forward, someone did the push test
>>on me. Does any one have any suggestions as far as what is the better
>>test? I could just try it but I am afraid that if goofy is my preferred
>>stance, I still may not find it more comfortable because I am so used
>>to regular.
>>
>>Any ideas?

It is quite possible to "unlearn" a natural tendancy such as reg/goof.
They used to *make* left handed people switch to righty in catholic
schools because they thought it was evil or something. The push test is
totally inconclusive, it generates different results every time - not
very scientific. But props to you for being such a determined learner.
You obviously stuck it out on the "wrong" stance long enough to make it
right. If your riding is fine regular, don't sweat it. You will
probably be regular for the rest of your life, in any sideways sport,
even though you genetically started out as a goofy. It doesn't matter.
BUT, for people just starting out, it is truly best to go with the foot
determined in the slide test.

-Jack
gmic...@hopper.unh.edu
UNH Engineering '96
http://pubpages.unh.edu/~gmichaud
"Thesis clashes with antithesis to produce synthesis." - Marx

Frank Owen

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

In article <01bc3a20$805d64a0$959017c2@default>, "Markasan"
<maa...@hem1.passagen.se> wrote:

>That tip is worthless!!!
>
>RP Pelletier <ran...@moscow.nsc.com> skrev i inlŠgg

><332592...@moscow.nsc.com>...
>> Another simple test for the one foot forward thingy is serving a
>> vollyball. Provided you've served one before.

Yes, totally worthless. For volleyball, the forward foot will ALWAYS be the
one opposite the hand you use to strike the ball when serving. This would
imply that all right-handers are regular, and all left-handers are "goofy",
which is clearly wrong...

RP Pelletier

Apr 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/11/97

My bad, didn't mean to provide you with a worthless tip. I guess that
means you won't be using it then? I've found that for people that do
not have a clue and "amby" people, that starting with this foot forward
works quite nicely. Next time you have an amby, tell them quick like to
close their eyes and serve a volleyball. Everybody prefers one side for
something that they do, it's just a matter if syncing that something
with a good choice to start the unknown with. Not much in this world is
worthless in any case, even an asym.

rpp

fattrax

Apr 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/13/97

Even with the volley ball test, you've got a 50 - 50 chance of getting it
right. Best result will result from getting on a skateboard and seeing
what feels least awkward.
Fattrax