Hot Dog Wayne

lal_truckee

Jan 3, 2010, 4:22:53 PM1/3/10
Wayne Wong was out skiing today so I had a chance to chat a bit and ski
with him a couple of runs - actually that would be more like chase him;
he skis fast, smooth, and very body quiet.

He was skiing on Anton Active Suspension skis
<http://www.antongliders.com/index.php> which while looking weird seem
to work fine. Of course it's hard to separate skier from ski - when he
traded his Active Suspension skis with a bystander Wong's skiing looked
just about the same on common run-of-the-mill skis.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDr0SSejfT4>

The Active Suspension is an interesting technology - I wonder if it will
catch on. Year ago I had a big race plate that center mounted and rolled
up fore and aft so the ski could reverse camber; that sort of thing
seems to have disappeared.

The Real Bev

Jan 3, 2010, 6:12:37 PM1/3/10
lal_truckee wrote:

> Wayne Wong was out skiing today so I had a chance to chat a bit and ski
> with him a couple of runs - actually that would be more like chase him;
> he skis fast, smooth, and very body quiet.
>
> He was skiing on Anton Active Suspension skis
> <http://www.antongliders.com/index.php> which while looking weird seem
> to work fine. Of course it's hard to separate skier from ski - when he
> traded his Active Suspension skis with a bystander Wong's skiing looked
> just about the same on common run-of-the-mill skis.
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDr0SSejfT4>

I think that tells us something right there. Whatever happened to the
piezo-whatever breakthrough (breakthrough=expensive) technology of a few years
past?

> The Active Suspension is an interesting technology - I wonder if it will
> catch on.

Of course. It's highly visible, highly technical, and clearly highly expensive.

> Year ago I had a big race plate that center mounted and rolled
> up fore and aft so the ski could reverse camber; that sort of thing
> seems to have disappeared.

As I said before, I think that tells us something right there.

My dirt motorcycle was newer and nicer than my son's. He could ride either of
our motorcycles on flat tires and STILL outride me every single time. Skill is
clearly more important than hardware.

--
Cheers, Bev
"I believe that forgiving [terrorists] is God's function.

VtSkier

Jan 4, 2010, 10:34:47 AM1/4/10

<smile> Those look pretty neat. I'm sure there is some
advantage beyond being a device to separate a bit more
gold from the buyer. If the dog and pony show shows up
here, I'll try a pair.

Meanwhile, my very stiff Atomics do a good job on our
EasternFirm(tm), and when I do get to ski RealSnow(tm)
such as Wayne was skiing on in the video, I will
continue to rent the worst at El Cheapo's in South Lake.
Those seem fine for RealSnow. The only real trouble I
had was on the wind-blown side, but I think that was
because the particular pair of skis I had had not gotten
their yearly tune yet.

Walt

Jan 4, 2010, 4:49:37 PM1/4/10
lal_truckee wrote:

> The Active Suspension is an interesting technology - I wonder if it will
> catch on. Year ago I had a big race plate that center mounted and rolled
> up fore and aft so the ski could reverse camber; that sort of thing
> seems to have disappeared.

From the website:

"A dramatic transition on ski slopes began in the 1950's with grooming
and now all groomed recreational ski slopes and race courses no longer
have the vital soft snow or powder that compresses and conforms to the
base of the ski. Thus the critical pressure and contact at the tip and
tail is continually lost, and with it, stability and control. The snow
changed dramatically but the ski didn't."

Hmmmm. Ski technology hasn't changed since the 50's? Who knew?

My take is that this device is the logical extension of the "pilot" or
"motion" binding system, which were also claimed to make groomed feel
like powder. I never liked those binding technologies - it put another
layer of stuff between my feet and the skis, with the result of a lack
of feel.

//Walt

Let Mikey Ski It!

Jan 4, 2010, 10:31:52 PM1/4/10
On 2010-01-03 14:22:53 -0700, lal_truckee <lal_t...@yahoo.com> said:

> Wayne Wong was out skiing today so I had a chance to chat a bit and ski
> with him a couple of runs - actually that would be more like chase him;

> he skis fast, smooth, and very body quiet...

Cool! One of the greats.

Mike...
--
Breckenridge Ski Photography: http://BreckenridgeSkiPhotos.com or Facebook
Breckenridge photo ski blog: http://Powderday.us

lal_truckee

Jan 5, 2010, 11:37:45 AM1/5/10
On 1/4/10 7:31 PM, Let Mikey Ski It! wrote:
> On 2010-01-03 14:22:53 -0700, lal_truckee <lal_t...@yahoo.com> said:
>
>> Wayne Wong was out skiing today so I had a chance to chat a bit and
>> ski with him a couple of runs - actually that would be more like chase
>> him; he skis fast, smooth, and very body quiet...
>
> Cool! One of the greats.
>
> Mike...

long time no read ...

Let Mikey Ski It!

Jan 6, 2010, 3:20:40 PM1/6/10
On 2010-01-05 09:37:45 -0700, lal_truckee <lal_t...@yahoo.com> said:

> long time no read ...

I still drop in and read the skiing threads (I have a very active kill filter).

Wayne also got into powder 8's at the worlds and was one of the
inspirations that got us going in the sport.

My photography is still going - made the front page of the Summit Daily
this morning, etc.

Keep skiing!

Stuart

Jan 8, 2010, 10:01:00 AM1/8/10

"lal_truckee" <lal_t...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Haven't seen Wally since 1984 Canadian Nationals. Shit he's gotta be getting
closer to 60 now..

lal_truckee

Jan 8, 2010, 11:36:29 AM1/8/10
On 1/8/10 7:01 AM, Stuart wrote:

> Haven't seen Wally since 1984 Canadian Nationals. Shit he's gotta be getting
> closer to 60 now..

Heh. That makes him a youngster ...

He looks pretty much the same as he looked 20 years ago when he used to
bring his traveling circus around here yearly. Hair still black, face
still deep tan, huge grin.

Bob F

Jan 8, 2010, 11:45:43 AM1/8/10

That's a problem???

Stuart

Jan 8, 2010, 10:20:46 PM1/8/10

"Bob F" <bobn...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Obviously not for him. I take back the date, it was more like 1974.