Shaped skis vs real skis

Good Ol' Ed

Mar 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/31/97

Now that all the tourons are gone, and and the slopes of xxxx are
populated by locals, one sees very few of those newfangled Mikey Mouse
things they are trying to pan off as skis. The amazing thing is there
are just as many carve lines on the slopes as were during the high
season when ever other skier was on those things.

What can be the reason for this? Did you ever really see an intermediate
carving a turn?

Good Ol' Ed

There was a whole lot of skidding going on....

Jeremy Gilbert

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

I notice a funny thing while skiing in Colorado over Spring break. More
people on "real" skis were making carved turns than those on parabolic
skis. Back here at Bridger Bowl, you find very few parabolic skis at all
and much more carving. Moral of the story: if you live in a ski town, you
probably already know how to carve, and if you're unfortunate enough to
need to travel, you'll rent skis made for carving and skid. Do people
really think they're skiing better while they skid on shorter skis?
--
Jeremy Gilbert
gil...@digitaleyeq.com

Good Ol' Ed <e...@sisna.com> wrote in article <33429F...@sisna.com>...

Brian Duchinsky / Jim Kohn

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

Good Ol' Ed wrote:

> Now that all the tourons are gone, and and the slopes of xxxx are
> populated by locals, one sees very few of those newfangled Mikey Mouse
> things they are trying to pan off as skis. The amazing thing is there
> are just as many carve lines on the slopes as were during the high
> season when ever other skier was on those things.
>
> What can be the reason for this? Did you ever really see an intermediate
> carving a turn?
>
> Good Ol' Ed
>
> There was a whole lot of skidding going on....

I find your dismissal of shaped skis as "not real" skis to be completly
off base. I'm not sure what you consider "real" skis?

All of us who ski are able to ski at a much higher level because of the
incredible improvements in equipment over the last 20 years. Would we
say the boots we use today are "real" boots because they allow us to ski
better than we could on leather boots? I imagine that the skis you use
today would astound someone to last skied in the 50's, and they would
refer to you skis as not "real", or to easy!

Every aspect of our equipment has evolved and allowed skiers to improve
their technique solely because of the technology. Very few of us,
except the most skilled and athletic could have carved turns on 1960's
skis. More people today can carve turns because of better equipment and
shaped skis will allow even more skiers to carve turns sooner and enjoy
the sport even more, which will translate into more skiers and a better
sport for all of us. Very few ski towns would survive without the
vacation skier.

My only negative observation about shaped skis is that they seem to
allow less skilled skiers to ski faster before they have acquired the
skills needed to ski safely at higher speeds, perhaps we'll start to see
more accidents. Resorts may need to do more to educate newer skiers as
to their limits.

Jim
--
Homestead -> http://www.execpc.com/~blackjon
Microsoft Site Builder Network - Level 2

klaus@xmission.com@editme.first

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

Brian Duchinsky / Jim Kohn <blac...@execpc.com> wrote:

> I find your dismissal of shaped skis as "not real" skis to be completly
> off base. I'm not sure what you consider "real" skis?

Narrow threepins.

> All of us who ski are able to ski at a much higher level because of the
> incredible improvements in equipment over the last 20 years. Would we
> say the boots we use today are "real" boots because they allow us to ski
> better than we could on leather boots?

No. Plastics boots are not real boots. They are bondage equipment. Use
leather boots. I do.

> I imagine that the skis you use
> today would astound someone to last skied in the 50's, and they would
> refer to you skis as not "real", or to easy!

No. They would think they were outdated.

> Every aspect of our equipment has evolved and allowed skiers to improve
> their technique solely because of the technology.

... instead of skill.

> Very few of us,
> except the most skilled and athletic could have carved turns on 1960's
> skis.

Thank you for making my point.

>More people today can carve turns because of better equipment and
> shaped skis will allow even more skiers to carve turns sooner and enjoy
> the sport even more, which will translate into more skiers and a better
> sport for all of us.

Debateable. Most people can't drive a Porsche. They ride in it and
never enjoy its true potential.

> Very few ski towns would survive without the
> vacation skier.

And they'd be a better place for it. I don't mind walking instead of
riding a high speed six pack.

> My only negative observation about shaped skis is that they seem to
> allow less skilled skiers to ski faster before they have acquired the
> skills needed to ski safely at higher speeds, perhaps we'll start to see
> more accidents. Resorts may need to do more to educate newer skiers as
> to their limits.

Just ban the cheaters.

-klaus

Vail-for the skilled, athletic.

--
This .sig is in tribute to post parsing, spam generating, software:

postm...@127.0.0.1
c...@ix.netcom.com
club...@freestuff4u.com
bal...@ibm.net
p.ma...@inetarm.com

Keith McCammon

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

Jeremy Gilbert wrote:

> I find your attitude totally off base. Good Ol' Ed is simply making an
> observation. He is obviously someone who has been around a very long time,
> and has skied and carved on conventional skis more than once or twice. He
> is not trying to say that shaped skis represent the Devil on Earth, he is
> merely making an observation.
>
> He is observing that the locals (aka experts) are still skiing on
> conventional skis (probably because none of them needs to learn how to
> carve). Most of the locals are carving their way down the mountain. The

I think it's simply because experienced skiers have older skis and new
skiers have new skis.

In a couple years as experienced skiers buy new equipment you will see
more shaped skis.

I don't think this is any indication of the validity of the merits of
shaped skis.

Jon Francis

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

Don't forget that shaped skis have some real advantages (going straight
and fast not being one) including nice powder float for a versatile ski
and the ability to carve a LOT harder at slower speeds. You can put wings
on a pig but you can't make a pig fly (or something like that)...the logic
holds here, too...the point shouldn't be to magically make lousy skiers
good ones, but rather to allow people to do things they can't do on
shapeless skis.

Jon Francis

> Good Ol' Ed <e...@sisna.com> wrote in article <33429F...@sisna.com>...

Jeremy Gilbert

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

I find your attitude totally off base. Good Ol' Ed is simply making an
observation. He is obviously someone who has been around a very long time,
and has skied and carved on conventional skis more than once or twice. He
is not trying to say that shaped skis represent the Devil on Earth, he is
merely making an observation.

He is observing that the locals (aka experts) are still skiing on
conventional skis (probably because none of them needs to learn how to
carve). Most of the locals are carving their way down the mountain. The

tourists (which we all realize we need) all flock to the slopes for a
weekend and rent shaped skis and keep on sliding down the mountain. I have
noticed the very same thing. Point of fact: during a recent trip to
Colorado ( my one and only ski trip of the year) I looked and looked for
people carving on shaped skis. In four days I saw ONE! I couldn't count
the number of people carving on conventional skis. The point Good Ol' Ed
is trying to make is that these shaped skis do not automatically improve
your skiing as the retailers want you to believe.

The moral of the entire story is that, no matter what you're skiing on, it
takes a genuine advanced skier (level 8 and up) to consistently and
confidently carve a turn.

My forecast on shaped skis:
They will fade into the past like rear-entry boots as a gimmick. Not
quickly, mind you, but eventually they will be no more drastically shaped
than the GS or slalom skis in my closet.

Brian Duchinsky / Jim Kohn <blac...@execpc.com> wrote in article
<334458...@execpc.com>...

> Good Ol' Ed wrote:
> >
> > Now that all the tourons are gone, and and the slopes of xxxx are
> > populated by locals, one sees very few of those newfangled Mikey Mouse
> > things they are trying to pan off as skis. The amazing thing is there
> > are just as many carve lines on the slopes as were during the high
> > season when ever other skier was on those things.
> >
> > What can be the reason for this? Did you ever really see an
intermediate
> > carving a turn?
> >
> > Good Ol' Ed
> >
> > There was a whole lot of skidding going on....
>

> I find your dismissal of shaped skis as "not real" skis to be completly
> off base. I'm not sure what you consider "real" skis?
>

> All of us who ski are able to ski at a much higher level because of the
> incredible improvements in equipment over the last 20 years. Would we
> say the boots we use today are "real" boots because they allow us to ski

> better than we could on leather boots? I imagine that the skis you use

> today would astound someone to last skied in the 50's, and they would
> refer to you skis as not "real", or to easy!
>

> Every aspect of our equipment has evolved and allowed skiers to improve

> their technique solely because of the technology. Very few of us,

> except the most skilled and athletic could have carved turns on 1960's

> skis. More people today can carve turns because of better equipment and

> shaped skis will allow even more skiers to carve turns sooner and enjoy
> the sport even more, which will translate into more skiers and a better

> sport for all of us. Very few ski towns would survive without the
> vacation skier.
>

> My only negative observation about shaped skis is that they seem to
> allow less skilled skiers to ski faster before they have acquired the
> skills needed to ski safely at higher speeds, perhaps we'll start to see
> more accidents. Resorts may need to do more to educate newer skiers as
> to their limits.

Steven Deem

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97
to Jeremy Gilbert

On 4 Apr 1997, Jeremy Gilbert wrote:

> I find your attitude totally off base. Good Ol' Ed is simply making an
> observation. He is obviously someone who has been around a very long time,
> and has skied and carved on conventional skis more than once or twice.

I think it's you and Goodoled that are off base. You and others have this
sort of patronizing attitude that if everyone skied as well as you two,
they wouldn't need "shaped skis". You are missing the boat. The experts
in the backwoods of Montana may not have caught on to shaped skis yet, but
on the outskirts of Seattle many of the local experts are skiing them. I
imagine most of these folks knew how to carve turns before they bought
shaped skis, so what in the world are they using them for? The answer
lies in the performance characteristics of shaped skis in off-piste
terrain: they provide a better combination of
flotation/edging/turning/stability then any conventional ski can. Our
local experts are skiing the gnarliest of terrain and the gnariest of
conditions at Chrystal, Alpental, Blackomb, etc on shaped skis, and
skiing it amazingly well with these so-called intermediate crutches.

If you guys don't want to use shaped skis, fine. Just stop this silly
badmouthing, at least untill you've given them a real try (and I mean 10
or 20 days, not a demo day here and there). Shaped skis seem to be a
valuable learning tool, but they also provide a real performance advantage
for advanced skiers.

> > > My forecast on shaped skis:
> They will fade into the past like rear-entry boots as a gimmick. Not
> quickly, mind you, but eventually they will be no more drastically shaped
> than the GS or slalom skis in my closet.

Get out your wallet.

Horvath

Apr 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/5/97

On 3 Apr 1997 19:58:05 -0700, kl...@xmission.com@editme.first
scribbled:

>No. Plastics boots are not real boots. They are bondage equipment. Use
>leather boots. I do.

You use leather boots, too?

I wear leather cowboy boots and ty-rap them directly to my K2 four
skis. No bindings, just ty-raps.

There's nothing like the feeling of real leather next to your skin.

Horvath

I was surfing the net when Yahoo was only a hillbilly cheer.

RegCahn

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

I don't know about you guys but the reason I use these shape skis is that
I am not good enough to do 15 meter boarder (no poles) turns on my real
skis yet. I tried to do it on my GS skis, but they keep wanting to do
those big 30+ meter turns. Maybe some of you experts out there can
describe in 30 words or less, how you can carve <15 meter turns on real
skis. Maybe I should try using slalom boards next time.

I think my next pair of skis will the Elan Dark skis, its suppose to be a
~10meter ski.

Reg.

Rob Urwin

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

RegCahn <reg...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19970407082...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

Find some nice spring corn, go moderately fast, and then absolutely stomp
on them and lay them waaaay over. Works just fine on my crappy Atomic
AXC1's.

(With 3 words left over...)
--
Vail-10 Meter turns with G-Force
--

divi...@hotmail.com
camp...@worldnet.att.net

Patrick Chase

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

In article <19970407082...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, reg...@aol.com (RegCahn) writes:
|> I don't know about you guys but the reason I use these shape skis is that
|> I am not good enough to do 15 meter boarder (no poles) turns on my real
|> skis yet. I tried to do it on my GS skis, but they keep wanting to do
|> those big 30+ meter turns. Maybe some of you experts out there can
|> describe in 30 words or less, how you can carve <15 meter turns on real
|> skis. Maybe I should try using slalom boards next time.

Two words: Angulation. Pressure.

To pure-carve a tight arc on a more conventional ski, you need to get it
way up on edge (by knee angulation, hip angulation, full-body lean, or some
combination of the 3 depending on speed) and then extend your leg into the
ski to pressure it and make it arc.

-- Patrick

Jeremy Gilbert

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

Simple, crank HARD! Lean very far forward and lean on one ski with your
entire body as close to the center of the turn as possible. This is not
easy, and it can throw you out of control if you're not ready for it,
especially on a stiff ski.

RegCahn <reg...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19970407082...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

> I don't know about you guys but the reason I use these shape skis is that
> I am not good enough to do 15 meter boarder (no poles) turns on my real
> skis yet. I tried to do it on my GS skis, but they keep wanting to do
> those big 30+ meter turns. Maybe some of you experts out there can
> describe in 30 words or less, how you can carve <15 meter turns on real
> skis. Maybe I should try using slalom boards next time.

Good Ol' Ed

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

Brian Duchinsky / Jim Kohn wrote:

> Good Ol' Ed wrote:
> >
> > Now that all the tourons are gone, and and the slopes of xxxx are
> > populated by locals, one sees very few of those newfangled Mikey Mouse
> > things they are trying to pan off as skis. The amazing thing is there
> > are just as many carve lines on the slopes as were during the high
> > season when ever other skier was on those things.
> >
> > What can be the reason for this? Did you ever really see an intermediate
> > carving a turn?
> >
> > Good Ol' Ed
>
> I find your dismissal of shaped skis as "not real" skis to be completly
> off base. I'm not sure what you consider "real" skis?
>
> All of us who ski are able to ski at a much higher level because of the
> incredible improvements in equipment over the last 20 years. Would we
> say the boots we use today are "real" boots because they allow us to ski
> better than we could on leather boots? I imagine that the skis you use
> today would astound someone to last skied in the 50's, and they would
> refer to you skis as not "real", or to easy!
>
> Every aspect of our equipment has evolved and allowed skiers to improve
> their technique solely because of the technology. Very few of us,
> except the most skilled and athletic could have carved turns on 1960's
> skis. More people today can carve turns because of better equipment and
> shaped skis will allow even more skiers to carve turns sooner and enjoy
> the sport even more, which will translate into more skiers and a better
> sport for all of us. Jim

Jim, there are an awful lot of shaped skis out there but my observation
is that there is is very little carving going on. The vast majority of
skiers on them are just skidding around as usual. Why not just buy
shorter real skis? Those skidders could do the same thing on them.

Good Ol' Ed

Everybody talks carving but NOBODY does it.

Patrick Chase

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

In article <334968...@sisna.com>, Good Ol' Ed <e...@sisna.com> writes:
|> Jim, there are an awful lot of shaped skis out there but my observation
|> is that there is is very little carving going on. The vast majority of
|> skiers on them are just skidding around as usual. Why not just buy
|> shorter real skis? Those skidders could do the same thing on them.

Unfortunately, I've seen the same thing.

Lot's of people skidding around on expensive new SCXs and Fours. The new
skis _are_ easier to carve, but you still have to know how to let the skis
do the work instead of wanking them around. Given a choice between a pair
of parabolics or many hours of private lessons with a really good instructor
(same total cost, give or take) I'd take the lessons every time.

The funny thing is that a lot of the skidders believe that they are carving
their turns. If they're happy, then more power to them!

-- Patrick

Good Ol' Ed

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

RegCahn wrote:

> I don't know about you guys but the reason I use these shape skis is that
> I am not good enough to do 15 meter boarder (no poles) turns on my real
> skis yet. I tried to do it on my GS skis, but they keep wanting to do
> those big 30+ meter turns. Maybe some of you experts out there can
> describe in 30 words or less, how you can carve <15 meter turns on real
> skis. Maybe I should try using slalom boards next time.
>
> I think my next pair of skis will the Elan Dark skis, its suppose to be a
> ~10meter ski.
>
> Reg.

Good for you Reg, your one of the very few who use them as advertised.

Good Ol' Ed

Ask Patrick Chase to tell you how he does 15 meter carved turns on real
GS skis.

Patrick Chase

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

In article <33496A...@sisna.com>, Good Ol' Ed <e...@sisna.com> writes:
|> Ask Patrick Chase to tell you how he does 15 meter carved turns on real
|> GS skis.

Watch some videotapes of Michael Von Grueningen running GS. He's the best
skier I've ever seen, in person or otherwise, at getting skis to pure carve
turns at radii much tighter than their sidecuts. His technique is extremely
clean, so it's easy to see what he's doing. Sonja Nef is another good one
to watch, again because she's ultra-clean (arguably to the point where it
slows her down relative to someone like Compagnoni who takes more risks).

-- Patrick

Patrick Chase

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

In article <5i1qnt$9...@xmission.xmission.com> kl...@xmission.com@editme.first writes:
|> No. Plastics boots are not real boots. They are bondage equipment.

Now I understand why Joey went trolling for his Betty in r.s.alpine...

-- Patrick

John Cooley

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

In article <5i1qnt$9...@xmission.xmission.com> kl...@xmission.com@editme.first writes:
>Brian Duchinsky / Jim Kohn <blac...@execpc.com> wrote:
>
>> I find your dismissal of shaped skis as "not real" skis to be completly
>> off base. I'm not sure what you consider "real" skis?

>Narrow threepins.

>> All of us who ski are able to ski at a much higher level because of the
>> incredible improvements in equipment over the last 20 years. Would we
>> say the boots we use today are "real" boots because they allow us to ski
>> better than we could on leather boots?

>No. Plastics boots are not real boots. They are bondage equipment. Use
>leather boots. I do.

>Just ban the cheaters.

>-klaus

>Vail-for the skilled, athletic.

Can we then assume that Klaus uses hickory skis without metal edges?
That the leather boots do not have buckles? That his poles are made
of bamboo? Oh, and the threepin is pretty recent, too, by some
measures. Beartraps, cables and longthongs only. Anything else isn't
"real."

I've been known to ski Riflesight Notch at MaryJane on a narrow pair
of Karhu skis (not those "unreal" alpine boards with threepin
bindings on them) and old Snowpine boots. But, alas, the skis are
plastic with metal edges, and my poles were aluminum. Not "real"
at all, I'm afraid. Only organic materials allowed.

John Cooley

Vail-wooden skis, granola, furs and fashion. Wait-Am I lost?

Jeff

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

Patrick Chase wrote:

> Watch some videotapes of Michael Von Grueningen running GS. He's the best
> skier I've ever seen, in person or otherwise, at getting skis to pure carve
> turns at radii much tighter than their sidecuts. His technique is extremely
> clean, so it's easy to see what he's doing. Sonja Nef is another good one
> to watch, again because she's ultra-clean (arguably to the point where it
> slows her down relative to someone like Compagnoni who takes more risks).

Compagnoni-- who also just happened to win both her World Cup GS title
and World Championship gold on SHAPED skis! (Dynastar Max Zeros with G9
cosmetics) The point being that excellent skiers can carve on most any
ski, but more and more racers are experimenting with and winning with
shaped skis. There is no such thing as "real" skis, just "real skiers".
Which, I think, was the point Patrick was making.

klaus@xmission.com@editme.first

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

John Cooley <jo...@yuma.ACNS.ColoState.EDU> wrote:

> Can we then assume that Klaus uses hickory skis without metal edges?

Hickory? Too hard to work with. I use the finest teak. Buffs up real
nice.

> That the leather boots do not have buckles?

Sure don't. Anyone I've skied with will attest to that. Go ahead. Ask
'em.

> That his poles are made
> of bamboo?

Bamboo. Hell no. I just yank some out of the garbage. Poles are poles.

> Oh, and the threepin is pretty recent, too, by some
> measures. Beartraps, cables and longthongs only. Anything else isn't
> "real."

Ok.. I lied.. man you're quick. Cables.

> I've been known to ski Riflesight Notch at MaryJane on a narrow pair
> of Karhu skis (not those "unreal" alpine boards with threepin
> bindings on them) and old Snowpine boots.

Wow!! We are not worthy. I'll bet you barely get your feet when when
you walk on water. I go in all the way to my knees. Karhus suck
though. They break. If you need a replacement after you break one, let
me know.. I've got several singles.

> But, alas, the skis are
> plastic with metal edges, and my poles were aluminum. Not "real"
> at all, I'm afraid. Only organic materials allowed.

That's ok. We'll still let you hang out here. But don't let us catch
you at Xxxx.

> Vail-wooden skis, granola, furs and fashion. Wait-Am I lost?

Yup. Very.

-klaus

Vail-skiing, golfing, fishing, and woodworking... all under one roof.

--
This .sig is in tribute to post parsing, spam generating, software:

postm...@127.0.0.1
postm...@cyberpromo.com
club...@freestuff4u.com
bal...@ibm.net
p.ma...@inetarm.com

Anthea

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

Jeremy Gilbert wrote:

> I find your attitude totally off base. Good Ol' Ed is simply making an
> observation. . He

> is not trying to say that shaped skis represent the Devil on Earth, he is
> merely making an observation.

Good on yer, Jeremy! Some of these people act like shaped skis are a
religion, and launch fatwas against unbelievers.

> My forecast on shaped skis:
> They will fade into the past like rear-entry boots as a gimmick. Not
> quickly, mind you, but eventually they will be no more drastically shaped
> than the GS or slalom skis in my closet.

Jeez, I hope you're right. An excellent make of ski which shall remain
nameless is putting all its eggs in the shaped skis basket next season,
and I think others will follow suit.
Stock up now!

Ant

Anthea

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

Steven Deem wrote:
> I think it's you and Goodoled that are off base. You and others have this
> sort of patronizing attitude that if everyone skied as well as you two,
> they wouldn't need "shaped skis".
> If you guys don't want to use shaped skis, fine. Just stop this silly
> badmouthing, at least untill you've given them a real try (and I mean 10
> or 20 days, not a demo day here and there). Shaped skis seem to be a
> valuable learning tool, but they also provide a real performance advantage
> for advanced skiers.

Sorry kiddo. I can ski reasonably well, I've been skiing on a couple of
pairs of brand new shaped skis for the past 5 weeks all over Canada (and
Idaho and Montana), and I'd happily never ski them again.
It's no good flaming everyone who happens to think differently from you;
talk to a few people out on the slopes, on the lifts, skiiers.
Don't just go for the industry hype.
The jury is still out on shaped skis, and the skeptics are the
experienced, strong skiiers.

Ant

Butt Dawg

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Evil Ol' Ed wrote:

> Jim, there are an awful lot of shaped skis out there but my observation
> is that there is is very little carving going on. The vast majority of
> skiers on them are just skidding around as usual. Why not just buy
> shorter real skis? Those skidders could do the same thing on them.

I'd like some shaped skis (Olin DeToX's or some of those bitch'n Elong
SCuX's) but don't feel that I'm good enough for them yet. My loins burn
for them in my dreams, but I know that they are forbidden fruit and the
work of the devil. Like Pamela Lee, they are too good to be true and I
worry about what will happen when they/she gets older. Will the tips
sag? Will Tommy still want to ride them?

Concerned for humanity,
Andrew

klaus@xmission.com@editme.first

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

Steven Deem <sd...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

> This is where the problem lies. Most people who post on the supposed
> disadvantages of shaped skis have barely used them, but will gladly render
> various opinions about how they suck for this or that. The folks that
> have actually put a lot of miles on shaped skis (including me) know
> otherwise. I've been on shaped skis for two full seasons now (this one
> far from over), and have put 60+ days on two different models. I ski
> nothing but ungroomed terrain. For me, shaped skis are distinctly better
> than what I was on before (mostly slalom sidecut all-terrain skis). Ask
> your buddy Scott - he knows.

The point I don't understand is why people go to great lengths to
search out the most challenging areas and terrain and then make it
"easier" by using equipment that doesn't require as much skill. Decide
what you want, challenge or ease, and then choose your terrain and
equipment accordingly. If you really want challenge, get some three
pins and knock yourself out. If you want it easy, get big fat sidecuts
and stick to the blues runs. If you can't decide, stay home.

-klaus

Vail-Amazing how you can catch a 5 pound brown on a #22 midge fly.

Steven Deem

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97
to Anthea

On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Anthea wrote:

> Steven Deem wrote:
> > I think it's you and Goodoled that are off base. You and others have this
> > sort of patronizing attitude that if everyone skied as well as you two,
> > they wouldn't need "shaped skis".
>

> Sorry kiddo.

I wish. Just had a big birthday recently, and it wasn't my 30th.

I can ski reasonably well, I've been skiing on a couple of
> pairs of brand new shaped skis for the past 5 weeks all over Canada (and
> Idaho and Montana), and I'd happily never ski them again.

A personal choice that I will heartily respect.

> It's no good flaming everyone who happens to think differently from you;
> talk to a few people out on the slopes, on the lifts, skiiers.
> Don't just go for the industry hype.
> The jury is still out on shaped skis, and the skeptics are the
> experienced, strong skiiers.

This is where the problem lies. Most people who post on the supposed

disadvantages of shaped skis have barely used them, but will gladly render
various opinions about how they suck for this or that. The folks that
have actually put a lot of miles on shaped skis (including me) know
otherwise. I've been on shaped skis for two full seasons now (this one
far from over), and have put 60+ days on two different models. I ski
nothing but ungroomed terrain. For me, shaped skis are distinctly better
than what I was on before (mostly slalom sidecut all-terrain skis). Ask
your buddy Scott - he knows.

If they are good enough for Campangoni and Hattrup, they are good enough
for me.

Scott Abraham

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

Anthea whined:

> Sorry kiddo. I can ski reasonably well, I've been skiing on a couple of

> pairs of brand new shaped skis for the past 5 weeks all over Canada (and
> Idaho and Montana), and I'd happily never ski them again.

Two Buddha must report, in all good conscience, that Anthea looked quite
good skiing these dratted things.
Except, of course, for that moment on the downhill course at Lake Louise
when we hit the ice patches and Anthea proved that Australians can make
nice yellow trails just like Americans.

> It's no good flaming everyone who happens to think differently from you;
> talk to a few people out on the slopes, on the lifts, skiiers.

But it is more fun flaming everyone who disagrees with you.

> Don't just go for the industry hype.
> The jury is still out on shaped skis, and the skeptics are the
> experienced, strong skiiers.

Lemme see here. I've been waiting on Anthea, so that makes me an
experienced, strong skier.
I love the parabolics so damn much that I'm going to send my 7xk's off
to Oz cheap so her brother can enjoy them, because I have no intentions
of ever getting on a conventional ski again.
I have had the distinct pleasure of spending two weeks skiing next
year's Olin Apex NT's. Go anywhere, do anything, holds ice like a pair
of crampons, dial up warp speed without a quiver. Stomp on them and
play snowboarder, lighten up on the angulation and carve old fashioned
GS turns, even hit the bumps (lightly).
Simply the best pair of skis I've ever slapped on my size 14's, and I've
tried most of the good ones.
I feel like Fred Astaire the day he met Ginger Rogers. Batman the day
he met Robin. Buttdawg the day he met Dennis Rodman. klaus the day he
met Buttdawg.
I've found my dancing partner.
Two Buddha's verdict is damn sure in.
I just love those sidecuts.

Scott

Vail: Olin is guilty, guilty, guilty of making a hell of a ski.

Scott Abraham

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

Butt Dawg finally showed some honesty about his skiing ability:

> I'd like some shaped skis (Olin DeToX's or some of those bitch'n Elong
> SCuX's) but don't feel that I'm good enough for them yet.

When you get to the point that you can ski a groomed intermediate slope,
you will be good enough, Buttdawg. Try it: you'll find that there are
more Bogner Babes and trust fund sluts on the blue than on the green.

> My loins burn
> for them in my dreams, but I know that they are forbidden fruit and the
> work of the devil.

Your loins burn every minute of every day. Gonorrhea is treatable. See
your doctor, or raid klaus' medicine cabinet.

> Like Pamela Lee, they are too good to be true and I
> worry about what will happen when they/she gets older.

Unlike Pamela Lee, your sidecut skis will not run off to marry a scumbag
with tattoos, and the silicone is solid, not liquid, so you need not
worry about leaks.
Unlike your ex-wife, who has no sag whatsoever. When she skis the
bumps, the moguls quiver more than her boobs. What did you inject her
with? Quickrete?

> Will the tips
> sag? Will Tommy still want to ride them?

Buttdawg, Buttdawg. How many times do I have to tell you that you put
skis on your feet, not up your butt? We must find you a girlfriend soon

Your friend,

Two Buddha

Vail: Where no one ever thought of riding a parabolic BD style

klaus@xmission.com@editme.first

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

Steven Deem <sd...@u.washington.edu> didn;t get it and wrote:

> As for 3-pins - God made heels for a reason.

Achilles?

> Why would I want to let mine
> flop around in the breeze when they could be put to good use pushing my
> skis from side to side?

Uhhhh.. they push exactly the same.

Besides.. I love to watch guys with the heels locked and loaded do
that funny walk they do on the hikes. Almost as funny as the boarders
with their butts up in the air.

-klaus

Vail-pushy.

Anthea

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

Steven Deem wrote:
I've been on shaped skis for two full seasons now (this one
> far from over), and have put 60+ days on two different models. I ski
> nothing but ungroomed terrain. For me, shaped skis are distinctly better
> than what I was on before (mostly slalom sidecut all-terrain skis). Ask
> your buddy Scott - he knows.

Scott won't shut up about how good his skis are! I've been copping it
daily for weeks. And he's been copping my opinions about my shaped skis.
I'll admit that they turn very well, but hate the way you have to keep
turning them. It's interesting that you ski mainly ungroomed, as the
ones I've been on don't like ungroomed much, unless it's untouched
powder or something close. At least with a conventional ski, I find
that you can make them do just about anything by changing your style, or
working a bit harder. The shaped skis I've been on don't seem to respond
so well. And they're heavy!

For the record, one pair was 185 intermediate, "soft" improvers (very
easy to ski, armchairs), the other pair were 180cm advanced-level. very
stiff, with brilliant rebound in short turns, very tight, but murder on
ice.
Both were very poor in terrain that was cut up, slushed, icy, bumpy etc.
Still, it's encouraging that you've found shaped skis that perform off
the groomed, maybe there's hope yet!
I'll try shaped skis again, one day....maybe.

Right now the conventional Olins I got (for $80 yippee) Are more fun,
and promise some damn fine skiing (when I get used to the length and TB
stops trying to get me to crash on them).

Anthea

klaus@xmission.com@editme.first

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

Steven Deem <sd...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

> Yeh, right. I haven't seen too many 3-pinners on the downhill circuit.

Nor shaped skis. You tend to contradict yourself a lot, don't you?

-klaus

Vail-catch your limit each and every time.

Scott Abraham

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

Anthea forgot that the couch she is sleeping on could be moved to the
backyard while TB prayed for rain:

> You have been cheating by being too heavy, and having a pair of skis
> without a silly great sidecut and giant shovels, and nobbled me with
> some bloody womens wuss skis, which are so slow that risking
> major-league squirl and going into a tuck still results in diesel-engine
> speeds! So there.

Excuse me? Judging from your posts, I thought that the silly great
sidecut and shovels, etc., slowed someone down rather than speeded them
up.
Been wasting half my day waiting for the Aussie to get her thumb out of
her pouch.

> (He's narky cos I got some nice Olin conventionals, and they're 195cms,
> and he reckons they're too long.)

Anthea can barely reach up to touch the top of these things. She'd have
bought a pair of 220 downhills if she could find some, just to be macho.

> And I notice you're not waiting for me down anything with slush and crud
> all over it! That fellow carefully stem-christi-ing and howling "I hate
> this shit" looks a lot like TB...

You are too kind. Actually, I was in a wedge and traversing...and I
still ended up waiting on you.

> And your skis never leave the snow either! (except when you fall over
> that is).

TB falls over once in two weeks (cat track stop, too busy checking out a
pair of hooters in spandex) and Anthea has got to snitch.

> Good for ruining snowboard parks, too, I notice!
> A horrible sight. A grown man zooming up the ramps, and pounding the
> tops into oblivion, while the kids wail and hurl abuse.

It felt even better than a virgin ewe. Vengeance is so sweet.

> > Simply the best pair of skis I've ever slapped on my size 14's, and I've
> > tried most of the good ones.
> > I feel like Fred Astaire the day he met Ginger Rogers. Batman the day
> > he met Robin. Buttdawg the day he met Dennis Rodman. klaus the day he
> > met Buttdawg.
> > I've found my dancing partner.
>

> Dancing?!

Look, Anthea, just because I refuse to dance with anyone who is looking
my belt buckle in the eye doesn't mean I don't like you. I wouldn't
dance with klaus, either.

> And guess what is on those stickers he defaced his nice white skis
> with?!
> There ought to be a law...

If not for Vail, I would not have my Apex's. Ergo, I have Vail stickers
on my nice new free skis.
I am a grateful prophet, and I never forget my benefactors. Thanks to
klaus for floor space, BD for PC tickets, the slut of rsa for free
nookie, Nadine for doggie love (given to the doggie, alas), and Stu
Rempel of Olin for the best damn pair of skis I've ever had.
No thanks to Anthea. The only thing I've gotten off the wise-ass Aussie
is shit. She has no respect for her elders, even when that decrepit old
man leaves her eating his snow. She snuck up on Two Buddha while he was
hustling a lovely and said, "Did you get your rest, Dad?"
Hmmmm. What would happen if I short-sheeted the couch.....

Vail: Spiritual inspiration of Olin Skis

Steven Deem

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97
to kl...@xmission.com

On 8 Apr 1997 kl...@xmission.com wrote:

> Steven Deem <sd...@u.washington.edu> wrote:
>
> The point I don't understand is why people go to great lengths to
> search out the most challenging areas and terrain and then make it
> "easier" by using equipment that doesn't require as much skill. Decide
> what you want, challenge or ease, and then choose your terrain and
> equipment accordingly. If you really want challenge, get some three
> pins and knock yourself out. If you want it easy, get big fat sidecuts
> and stick to the blues runs. If you can't decide, stay home.

My problem is - I want it all!! Challenge, easy, snow, sun, money, no
job, etc, etc. I was skiing the challenging runs before shaped skis came
around; I'm just doing it a little bit better now. I can fly down those
double blues with reckless abandon. Only hit three snowboarders so far
this year.

As for 3-pins - God made heels for a reason. Why would I want to let mine

Ray F.

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

Ok Folks,
I've sat on the sidelines on this one and watched the hype and the truth
mixed in good fashion. I've been skiing for better than 30 years. I have
skied mostly GS skis from Atomic, Kastle, Blizzard and Fisher. On
occasion I've bought and enjoyed slalom cuts from Atomic both this years
SL and the 833SL which I loved. This year I was given a pair of Fischer
Race Revolutions with ESS bindings mounted, to race on. These are the
fastest most stable ski I have EVER skied. I like them so much I hung up
the Atomic sl s early and have been skiing only the revolutions.
The revolutions are a hybrid parabolic ski with a matched tip and tail
of 89mm. I put them up against my Fischer RC4s, the tip is about the
same and the tail I guess is about a 1/2 inch wider. Every person I have
let try these, 4 total, have since gone out and bought a pair for
themselves.

I hear a lot of people spouting off how parabolics aren't for racing.
The winner of this years Govenor Adams cup at Loon was skiing the same
skis.

My 2 cents

Ray

glamson

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

Scott Abraham <scot...@seanet.com> wrote:

: Simply the best pair of skis I've ever slapped on my size 14's,

I would of thought the Pride of Vail would be accompanied by bigger feet.
Tell me it is not true, TB.

Glen
Vail: Its True, Its True!!!!

Anthea

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

Scott Abraham wrote:
> Anthea whined:

I've been skiing on a couple of
> > pairs of brand new shaped skis for the past 5 weeks all over Canada (and
> > Idaho and Montana), and I'd happily never ski them again.
>
> Two Buddha must report, in all good conscience, that Anthea looked quite
> good skiing these dratted things.
> Except, of course, for that moment on the downhill course at Lake Louise
> when we hit the ice patches and Anthea proved that Australians can make
> nice yellow trails just like Americans.

I've skiied ice on crappy old hire skis, telemarkers, my wonderful Olin
DTSLs, not problem. Even the boring pair of shaped skis. But these
supposedly high-end shaped womens skis were bad to the point of being
dangerous! There was absolutely NO edge hold whatsoever. And they
weren't ice patches! The whole goddam thing was ice. Not bad ice mind
you, and those skis shouldn't have failed the way they did.
Felt like throwing them over the nearest cliff.

> Lemme see here. I've been waiting on Anthea, so that makes me an
> experienced, strong skier.

You have been cheating by being too heavy, and having a pair of skis

without a silly great sidecut and giant shovels, and nobbled me with
some bloody womens wuss skis, which are so slow that risking
major-league squirl and going into a tuck still results in diesel-engine
speeds! So there.

(He's narky cos I got some nice Olin conventionals, and they're 195cms,
and he reckons they're too long.)

And I notice you're not waiting for me down anything with slush and crud
all over it! That fellow carefully stem-christi-ing and howling "I hate
this shit" looks a lot like TB...

> I love the parabolics so damn much that I'm going to send my 7xk's off

> to Oz cheap so her brother can enjoy them, because I have no intentions
> of ever getting on a conventional ski again.

And your skis never leave the snow either! (except when you fall over
that is).

> I have had the distinct pleasure of spending two weeks skiing next

> year's Olin Apex NT's. Go anywhere, do anything, holds ice like a pair
> of crampons, dial up warp speed without a quiver. Stomp on them and
> play snowboarder, lighten up on the angulation and carve old fashioned
> GS turns, even hit the bumps (lightly).

Good for ruining snowboard parks, too, I notice!

A horrible sight. A grown man zooming up the ramps, and pounding the
tops into oblivion, while the kids wail and hurl abuse.

> Simply the best pair of skis I've ever slapped on my size 14's, and I've

> tried most of the good ones.
> I feel like Fred Astaire the day he met Ginger Rogers. Batman the day
> he met Robin. Buttdawg the day he met Dennis Rodman. klaus the day he
> met Buttdawg.
> I've found my dancing partner.

Dancing?!

> Vail: Olin is guilty, guilty, guilty of making a hell of a ski.

And guess what is on those stickers he defaced his nice white skis

Steven Deem

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

> Uhhhh.. they push exactly the same.

Yeh, right. I haven't seen too many 3-pinners on the downhill circuit.

> Besides.. I love to watch guys with the heels locked and loaded do
> that funny walk they do on the hikes. Almost as funny as the boarders
> with their butts up in the air.

That's why God made Silvrettas. Or was that the Swiss?

Patrick Chase

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

In article <334AA5...@conknet.com>, "Ray F." <r_fou...@conknet.com> writes:
|> I hear a lot of people spouting off how parabolics aren't for racing.
|> The winner of this years Govenor Adams cup at Loon was skiing the same
|> skis [Fischer Revolution Race/Weapon]

I've tried the Revolution Race (w/ Equalizer) and it is indeed a great ski.
The only gripe I had is that the wide tail tended to hang me up at the end
of the turn. That's more a result of the ski's lack of taper than of the
sidecut radius, though.

One thing to keep in mind, though: the Revolution Race has a 29 meter sidecut
radius. As such, it's right in the same league as present-day "GS Racing"
skis, and higher than any of the skis that are usually considered to be
"shaped"; most of those are in the 10-25 meter range. It's sidecut radius
is very close to that of this year's Fischer RC4 RS Worldcup, which has a
~30 meter sidecut. The main difference between the two is taper (the RS has
some, the revo race doesn't), not sidecut.

If I had to pick a "super sidecut" ski for racing, the Revolution Race would
definitely be it. I prefer the RS Worldcup myself, though.

-- Patrick

Steven Deem

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

On 8 Apr 1997 kl...@xmission.com wrote:

> Steven Deem <sd...@u.washington.edu> wrote:
>
> > Yeh, right. I haven't seen too many 3-pinners on the downhill circuit.
>

> Nor shaped skis. You tend to contradict yourself a lot, don't you?

On the other hand, if you'd like to match your 3-pins against my shaped
skis on a downhill course - now, that would be interesting. Snowboarders
beware.

Super sidecut skis: no contradictions

klaus@xmission.com@editme.first

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

Steven Deem <sd...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

Sure... as long as we have to walk up first. And then we can use a 90m
ski jump as the tie breaker.

-klaus

Vail-alternative sport.

Steven Deem

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97
to Anthea

On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Anthea wrote:

> At least with a conventional ski, I find
> that you can make them do just about anything by changing your style, or
> working a bit harder. The shaped skis I've been on don't seem to respond
> so well. And they're heavy!

I can make a shaped ski do just about anything also; it just takes a while
to get used to pressuring them differently than a conventional ski. Heavy
they are, but I like heavy. Better for blasting through Northwest crud.

> Both were very poor in terrain that was cut up, slushed, icy, bumpy etc.
> Still, it's encouraging that you've found shaped skis that perform off
> the groomed, maybe there's hope yet!

I've yet to find any one ski that does everything perfectly (shaped,
conventional or otherwise). Shaped skis come in a wide variety of
flavors; some are good on hard surfaces, some in crud, some only for
medium-speed cruising on groomed. Perhaps you ran into the latter type.

> I'll try shaped skis again, one day....maybe.

Ah, there is hope.
Whistler this weekend - perhaps I'll see you there. I'll keep my eyes
peeled for team Olin, members discernable by size and sidecut.

Anthea

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

Scott Abraham wrote:
> Anthea forgot that the couch she is sleeping on could be moved to the
> backyard while TB prayed for rain:

It's getting its revenge. My back is killing me! And that bloody cat
keeps missing its kitty litter tray. I rekcon it's senile.

> > You have been cheating by being too heavy, and having a pair of skis
> > without a silly great sidecut and giant shovels, and nobbled me with
> > some bloody womens wuss skis,

> Excuse me? Judging from your posts, I thought that the silly great

> sidecut and shovels, etc., slowed someone down rather than speeded them
> up.

Precisely. Your skis haven't got that and mine have (or had).

> Been wasting half my day waiting for the Aussie to get her thumb out of
> her pouch.

bollocks! You are having a rest! Nadine was right. He starts at about
9am on a good day, skis til about 11.30am and then says "I'm toast" and
blames a cold!

> > (He's narky cos I got some nice Olin conventionals, and they're 195cms,
> > and he reckons they're too long.)
>

> Anthea can barely reach up to touch the top of these things. She'd have
> bought a pair of 220 downhills if she could find some, just to be macho.

Nup. 205cm would do me nicely. I'll spend a season on the 195s and then
move on up to my rightful length. The 195s are just Vailized 180s
anyway.

That fellow carefully stem-christi-ing and howling "I hate
> > this shit" looks a lot like TB...
>

> You are too kind. Actually, I was in a wedge and traversing...and I
> still ended up waiting on you.

Poop!

> TB falls over once in two weeks (cat track stop, too busy checking out a
> pair of hooters in spandex) and Anthea has got to snitch.

It was bloody funny! Then there was the time you went swimming in the
snow outside the lodge at Panorama! Where's the camera when you need it?

> Look, Anthea, just because I refuse to dance with anyone who is looking
> my belt buckle in the eye doesn't mean I don't like you. I wouldn't
> dance with klaus, either.

Just as well. I'd get trodden on. Small people are normal! Tall people
are not!

> If not for Vail, I would not have my Apex's. Ergo, I have Vail stickers
> on my nice new free skis.
> I am a grateful prophet, and I never forget my benefactors. Thanks to
> klaus for floor space, BD for PC tickets, the slut of rsa for free
> nookie,

What?! I thought you paid for that with a discount Schweitzer ticket and
a used boot bag?!

Nadine for doggie love (given to the doggie, alas), and Stu
> Rempel of Olin for the best damn pair of skis I've ever had.
> No thanks to Anthea. The only thing I've gotten off the wise-ass Aussie
> is shit. She has no respect for her elders, even when that decrepit old
> man leaves her eating his snow. She snuck up on Two Buddha while he was
> hustling a lovely and said, "Did you get your rest, Dad?"

Yeah, and she looked very confused and then took off! I thought I was
being very respectful to my elders....heh heh

> Hmmmm. What would happen if I short-sheeted the couch.....

I'd sew up your pyjamas, cept you don't seem to bother with them.
which is probably why TB's housemates have banished him to the cellar,
where he dwells in the the Cave of Hope (Nadine can confirm this)
waiting for Lurv.
(TB is playing tennis - actually standing on the baseline blasting balls
at some poor old men - so I can post with impunity. Am looking forward
to taking out some of next season's Olin DTSLs tomorrow, will be
interesting to see what Shape does to the best skis in the world).

Anthea

klaus@xmission.com@editme.first

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

Ray F. <r_fou...@conknet.com> wrote:

> I hear a lot of people spouting off how parabolics aren't for racing.
> The winner of this years Govenor Adams cup at Loon was skiing the same

> skis.

Yah.. but the winner of the Drunken Fools Pitcher Dual Slalom at Blue
Mountain was on Weyerhauser two by fours. And we *both* know which is
the bigger race.

> My 2 cents

You get what you pay for.

-klaus

Vail-you get what you pay for.

Bruno Melli

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

Jeff (d-...@Ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: The point being that excellent skiers can carve on most any

: ski, but more and more racers are experimenting with and winning with
: shaped skis.

The way I see it:
When you race cars you use different tires/setup depending
on the track. When you ski race you use different skis depending on the
race type and course. If you have a very turny GS where a shaped ski
makes you go faster than the opposition then you are a better skier.
Not only because of your skills but also because you are smart enough
to use the right equipment for the right job.

It is a mistake for people to lump recreational skis into shaped versus
non shaped skis. You still have a lot of differences between models
within the same category. You still have skis that feel like
wet noodles and others that feel as stiff as a 2x4. In the end people
are responsible for buying what works for them.

The only thing that I regret about the shaped ski craze is that it limits
the choice of equipment for people who like a more traditional sidecut.
But apart from that who cares what other people are skiing on.

bruno.

Scott Abraham

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

glamson interrupted his daily devotion to the VailGods to write:

> Two Buddha praised his Olin Apex NT's:

> : Simply the best pair of skis I've ever slapped on my size 14's,
>
> I would of thought the Pride of Vail would be accompanied by bigger feet.
> Tell me it is not true, TB.

Remember, Glen, that the VailGods double what you already had, but they
do not double your feet unless you had a foot to begin with, like me.
Clear?
Enjoy your six inches,

Two Buddha

Vail: Double meat

glamson

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

Scott Abraham <scot...@seanet.com> wrote:
: >
: Remember, Glen, that the VailGods double what you already had, but they

: do not double your feet unless you had a foot to begin with, like me.
: Clear?
: Enjoy your six inches,

thats me mister average :-(

glen
Vail: Nothing Average.

: Two Buddha

: Vail: Double meat

Steven Deem

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

On 8 Apr 1997 kl...@xmission.com wrote:

> Steven Deem <sd...@u.washington.edu> wrote:
>
> > On the other hand, if you'd like to match your 3-pins against my shaped
> > skis on a downhill course - now, that would be interesting. Snowboarders
> > beware.
>
> Sure... as long as we have to walk up first. And then we can use a 90m
> ski jump as the tie breaker.

You're on. I'll bring my parasail. Assuming we'll need a tie-breaker.

klaus@xmission.com@editme.first

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

Steven Deem <sd...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

> You're on. I'll bring my parasail. Assuming we'll need a tie-breaker.

Where are we gonna get the boat? Or do you me paraglider. There is a
difference you know... or maybe you don't.

-klaus

Vail-big difference.

--
This .sig is in tribute to post parsing, spam generating, software:

postm...@127.0.0.1
postm...@cyberpromo.com
club...@freestuff4u.com
mail.redrove.com
p.ma...@inetarm.com

Scott Abraham

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

klaus and Buttdawg had a lover's quarrel:

> > The point I don't understand is why people go to great lengths to
> > search out the most challenging areas and terrain and then make it
> > "easier" by using equipment that doesn't require as much skill.
>
> The point I don't understand is why wankers seek out easy terrain and try
> to make it look harder by using telemark gear. They should stay home.

The point I don't understand is why everybody doesn't ski the easiest
groomed terrain on the newest, most advanced gear, using the most user
friendly lifts at the most accessible resorts offering the best
service....which is why I am taking my quiver of new Olins to Whistler
tomorrow while you silly buggers hike up stupid hills in weird gear.

Two Buddha

Vail: All of the above and more

Jamie

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

Bish,

Forget your daily dose of the soaps! This thread between
Anthea and Two Buddha is WAY BETTER than the Young & the
Restless. Even better than a Tyson/Holyfield match!

I'm puttin' my dinero on Ant...all the way...TKO, 4th
round. Buddha will never last...Ant's got more balls
than TB and klaus have testosterone combined ;>

Shit, somebody sell banner space on this!

Jamie
e-mail: nmj...@flash.net
jamsite: http://www.flash.net/~nmjamie

> > Nadine for doggie love (given to the doggie, alas), and > > Stu Rempel of Olin for the best damn pair of skis I've > > ever had.
> > No thanks to Anthea. The only thing I've gotten off the > > wise-ass Aussi is shit. She has no respect for her > > elders, even when that decrepit old

Scott Abraham

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

Anthea and Two Buddha amused each other:

> My back is killing me! And that bloody cat
> keeps missing its kitty litter tray. I rekcon it's senile.

No more senile than the Aussie who believes that those little chocolate
logs covered with crunchies are an American treat....

> > Been wasting half my day waiting for the Aussie to get her thumb out of
> > her pouch.
>
> bollocks! You are having a rest! Nadine was right. He starts at about
> 9am on a good day, skis til about 11.30am and then says "I'm toast" and
> blames a cold!

Standing in the cold waiting for you is very tiring.

> Nup. 205cm would do me nicely. I'll spend a season on the 195s and then
> move on up to my rightful length. The 195s are just Vailized 180s
> anyway.

If 205's are your rightful length, we're gonna have to borrow a rack
from the Inquisition Museum just to make you tall enough to look the
bindings in the eye.

> > my belt buckle in the eye doesn't mean I don't like you. I wouldn't
> > dance with klaus, either.
>
> Just as well. I'd get trodden on. Small people are normal! Tall people
> are not!

Anthea, me dearie, that's what we sophisticated Americans do after a
sauna. Learned it from the Finns, who know their snow. Of course, the
Finns generally roll in the snow right after they get out of the saunna,
not the next day.

> > on my nice new free skis.
> > I am a grateful prophet, and I never forget my benefactors. Thanks to
> > klaus for floor space, BD for PC tickets, the slut of rsa for free
> > nookie,
>
> What?! I thought you paid for that with a discount Schweitzer ticket and
> a used boot bag?!

Worth every penny, too.

> I'd sew up your pyjamas, cept you don't seem to bother with them.
> which is probably why TB's housemates have banished him to the cellar,
> where he dwells in the the Cave of Hope (Nadine can confirm this)
> waiting for Lurv.

Such a pathetic, sad reaction, calling the lair of the Pride the Cave of
Hope.
Are you still praying that you'll be allowed to climb the beefstick
before we deport you?
Did you notice the sign above the door?
"Abandon All Hope, All Aussies Who Wish To Be Entered Here."

Two Buddha

Vail: All Aussies look the same upside down

Scott Abraham

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

Jamie wrote:

> Bish,
>
> Forget your daily dose of the soaps! This thread between
> Anthea and Two Buddha is WAY BETTER than the Young & the
> Restless. Even better than a Tyson/Holyfield match!

Anthea keeps hitting below the belt. She bites, scratches, and kicks,
too.

> I'm puttin' my dinero on Ant...all the way...TKO, 4th
> round.

Jamie, this particular bout has been going on for the last three weeks,
and keeps getting better. She keeps enlisting my friends and then plays
tag team on my old fat ass. Unfair!
We have not yet begun to fight. The going won't really get hot until
she gets back to Austrailia, and I start bragging about how she calls me
"Roto Rooter".

> Buddha will never last...Ant's got more balls
> than TB and klaus have testosterone combined ;>

Agreed. If I had the courage, I'd grab her right in the cojones just to
make sure she's not passing as a woman.
Sorta like hanging out with a very crabby little butch gay man with
tits. She swears more than I do. You sorta forget she's a broad until
she says something like, "There should be a law that makes all twenty
year old men wear spandex shorts."
I only wish she could ski like a man so I wouldn't be wasting all my
time waiting on her.

> Shit, somebody sell banner space on this!

Think of all the fun all you wankers will be missing this weekend.

Two Buddha

Vail: passing as a ski area

John Gould

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

Can anyone explain how they come up with these meter ratings for sidecut?
Sidecut doesn't turn your ski at all until the ski is put up on edge, and the
further it's on edge, the tighter the turn. Is there some standard amount of
on-edge-ness everyone is using, or are they just winging it and making these
numbers up? While I'm asking dumb questions, does anyone understand the idea
that lift plates on bindings give you "more turning leverage"? This is the
standard explanation (although boot-out avoidance is occassionally mentioned).
It's hard to imagine that adding 1/2 inch of length to a lever the length of
one's leg (30+inches long) would make a significant difference. I know, I
know, this should really be a separate post...sorry, being lazy. JG

Horvath

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

On 8 Apr 1997 21:53:59 GMT, br...@cnd.hp.com (Bruno Melli) scribbled:

>Jeff (d-...@Ix.netcom.com) wrote:
>: The point being that excellent skiers can carve on most any
>: ski, but more and more racers are experimenting with and winning with
>: shaped skis.
>
>The way I see it:
>When you race cars you use different tires/setup depending
>on the track. When you ski race you use different skis depending on the
>race type and course. If you have a very turny GS where a shaped ski
>makes you go faster than the opposition then you are a better skier.
>Not only because of your skills but also because you are smart enough
>to use the right equipment for the right job.

Who cares what skis you race on, as long as you go fast?

Horvath

I was surfing the net when Yahoo was only a hillbilly cheer.

Butt Dawg

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

On 8 Apr 1997 kl...@xmission.com wrote:

> The point I don't understand is why people go to great lengths to
> search out the most challenging areas and terrain and then make it
> "easier" by using equipment that doesn't require as much skill.

The point I don't understand is why wankers seek out easy terrain and try
to make it look harder by using telemark gear. They should stay home.

Andrew

Luc Lefebvre

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

The way I see it lifters contribute to at least two aspects of skiing. The
first, as you mention, is pushing back the boot-out limit. The second is
indeed leverage. You can visualize this by drawing a ski on edge with the
edge on the snow being the pivot point. In order to get the ski to roll on
the edge one has to apply a couple to it and this load could have a
component that is parallel to the boot sole. The further the boot sole
from the base, the greater the leverage. In addition, gravity will always
be there (at least where skiing can take place, no gravity, no skiig...<g>)
so that we will always have a component of the load applied to the ski that
will be parallel to its base.

Regarding turn radius, I know there is a convention defining it. If you
would like to know what it is I could look it up, just let me know. Keep
in mind that I am leaving for, what else, a ski holiday in two days, and I
may not be able to get back to you for a few weeks.

\
\ Luc Lefebvre
\ Montréal, Canada
\
\ to email me remove the two 'z' from my adress

Patrick Chase

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

In article <5ihdc5$j6k$1...@wrqnews.wrq.com>, jo...@wrq.com (John Gould) writes:
|> Can anyone explain how they come up with these meter ratings for sidecut?

Yes. It's simply the radius of the ski's sidecut. That would correspond
to the radius of a pure-carved turn with 0 degrees of edge angle (if such
a thing were possible...)

|> Sidecut doesn't turn your ski at all until the ski is put up on edge, and
|> the further it's on edge, the tighter the turn.

Yup. In particular, if you call the ski's sidecut radius Rsc, and the edge
angle theta, then the ski's pure-carved turn radius at a given edge angle
is:

Rturn = Rsc*cos(theta)

This assumes that the ski is completely rigid torsionally, and that it is
being edged on a hard, perfectly flat surface. In practice, my experience
is that a good skier on real, not-perfectly-hard snow can carve a pure-
carved turn a bit tighter than this equation would suggest.

|> Is there some standard amount of on-edge-ness everyone is using, or are
|> they just winging it and making these numbers up?

Nope. We're all assuming zero degrees of on-edge-ness, which is completely
unrealistic. It's still useful because the zero-degree radius is the upper
limit of a ski's range of turn radii, and becuase it can be used to predict
turn radii at other edge angles.

-- Patrick

Kevin T. Broderick

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

John Gould (jo...@wrq.com) wrote:
: Can anyone explain how they come up with these meter ratings for sidecut?
: Sidecut doesn't turn your ski at all until the ski is put up on edge, and the
: further it's on edge, the tighter the turn. Is there some standard amount of
: on-edge-ness everyone is using, or are they just winging it and making these

Methinks (and I could very likely be wrong) that these radii are based on
extending the curve of the sidecut while the ski is flat. From talking
to some ski-industry (ski-company) people when I was working on a parabolic
ski article last year, different companies do this differently. For
instance, some figure based on average decambering of the ski, while some
base it on a ski that is not decambered at all.

: numbers up? While I'm asking dumb questions, does anyone understand the idea

: that lift plates on bindings give you "more turning leverage"? This is the
: standard explanation (although boot-out avoidance is occassionally mentioned).
: It's hard to imagine that adding 1/2 inch of length to a lever the length of
: one's leg (30+inches long) would make a significant difference. I know, I
: know, this should really be a separate post...sorry, being lazy. JG

I don't now about the "more turning leverage" part, but the prevention
of boot-out is a definite advantage. Also, I've talked to people using
2+ inch risers, and they do say that there is a huge difference in how
much you can load up the ski when compared to the inch you get out of an
EPB or deflex and binding risers. Of course, a plate (ie EPB, Deflex, or
Rossiplate) has additional benefits (ie some dampening, improved
carving power, etc).

--
--KTB aka Sparty
mailto: spa...@emails.com kbro...@arbornet.org brod...@upside.net

Patrick Chase

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

In article <5ij1ud$13...@sol.caps.maine.edu>, brod...@upside.net (Kevin T. Broderick) writes:
|> Methinks (and I could very likely be wrong) that these radii are based on
|> extending the curve of the sidecut while the ski is flat.

That was my understanding. I know that Atomic, Fischer, Kastle, and K2 rate
their skis this way.

|> From talking
|> to some ski-industry (ski-company) people when I was working on a parabolic
|> ski article last year, different companies do this differently. For

|> instance, some figure based on average decambering of the ski...

Would this be Dynastar's method, perchance?

I've always wondered how the Dynastar could claim a 32 meter sidecut radius
for the G9 at 200 cm. As far as I can tell, the actual sidecut radius of
that particular ski is about 36 meters. That also explains why Deborah
Compagnoni's "26 meter" ski doesn't seem to have all that much sidecut when
you look closely at pictures of it...

-- Patrick

klaus@xmission.com@editme.first

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

Butt Dawg <butt...@aol.com> wrote:

> The point I don't understand is why wankers seek me out on easy
> terrain and try to make themselves harder by stroking my gear. They
> should just follow me home.

Well said ButtPuppy. Butt you'll always make me look harder.

*Hugs*

-klaus

Vail-way harder.

dave

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

Butt Dawg wrote:
: On 8 Apr 1997 kl...@xmission.com wrote:

: > The point I don't understand is why people go to great lengths to

: > search out the most challenging areas and terrain and then make it
: > "easier" by using equipment that doesn't require as much skill.

: The point I don't understand is why wankers seek out easy terrain and try
: to make it look harder by using telemark gear. They should stay home.

: Andrew

the point i don't understand is why anyone would want to put slats
on their feet and go slide down some godforsaken rock strewn slope.
talk about stoopid. bleech. try golf, it's a man's sport.

dave

vail, golf, golf, golf.....

Anthea

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

Scott Abraham wrote:
> > Nup. 205cm would do me nicely. I'll spend a season on the 195s and then
> > move on up to my rightful length. The 195s are just Vailized 180s
> > anyway.
>
> If 205's are your rightful length, we're gonna have to borrow a rack
> from the Inquisition Museum just to make you tall enough to look the
> bindings in the eye.

then I won't mention that those 208cm Rossi 7Xk's you've just sold my
brother are really for me......

> > > the slut of rsa for free
> > > nookie,
> >
> > What?! I thought you paid for that with a discount Schweitzer ticket and
> > a used boot bag?!
>
> Worth every penny, too.

That's not what you've been saying. Maybe we should ask the current
champion?! (ooh how tasteless of me)

> > which is probably why TB's housemates have banished him to the cellar,
> > where he dwells in the the Cave of Hope (Nadine can confirm this)
> > waiting for Lurv.
>
> Such a pathetic, sad reaction, calling the lair of the Pride the Cave of
> Hope.

Poor TB. who is going to tell him the Pride departed many years ago?!
He's been 10 1/2 months pregnant for some years now, and hasn't noticed.

> Are you still praying that you'll be allowed to climb the beefstick
> before we deport you?
> Did you notice the sign above the door?
> "Abandon All Hope, All Aussies Who Wish To Be Entered Here."

We Australians are renown for our taste and discrimination (which is why
I prefer the couch).
Anyway, the sign actually says "Warning, Flammable, no naked flames" and
there's a smaller one which says "ear protection should be worn at all
times".
Besides, if anyone goes near that bed, the dog growls at them.
I wonder why?

Ant

Anthea

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

Scott Abraham wrote:

> Jamie wrote: (with the intention of waving a red rag at TB and succeeding, it appears)

Even better than a Tyson/Holyfield match!

> Anthea keeps hitting below the belt. She bites, scratches, and kicks,
> too.

And TB bites every time (or line...). He's too easy.

> > I'm puttin' my dinero on Ant...all the way...TKO, 4th
> > round.
>
> Jamie, this particular bout has been going on for the last three weeks,
> and keeps getting better. She keeps enlisting my friends and then plays
> tag team on my old fat ass. Unfair!

Like shooting fish in a barrel...too easy

> We have not yet begun to fight. The going won't really get hot until
> she gets back to Austrailia, and I start bragging about how she calls me
> "Roto Rooter".

There have been strange noises emanating from the Cave of Hope lately. I
thought it might be the dog.

> > Buddha will never last...Ant's got more balls
> > than TB and klaus have testosterone combined ;>
>
> Agreed. If I had the courage, I'd grab her right in the cojones just to
> make sure she's not passing as a woman.
> Sorta like hanging out with a very crabby little butch gay man with
> tits. She swears more than I do. You sorta forget she's a broad until
> she says something like, "There should be a law that makes all twenty
> year old men wear spandex shorts."

> I only wish she could ski like a man so I wouldn't be wasting all my
> time waiting on her.

Hmmm, I'm thinking of Crystal Mountain yesterday, when a 20-foot lenth
of semi-moguls appeared in the middle of the run, and Mr Speed King
turned into Mr Careful Stem Christies AGAIN, AS USUAL, (howling), and
when the run branched off, with a green groomed and a very light blue
skiied-out and slightly bumpy choice, guess who went wheezing off down
the GREEN run!
Any one can go fast down groomed runs, especially if they don't bother
turning and are so HEAVY that the skis don't dare deviate.
(And he's busy rampaging around behind me, pretending to pack for
Whistler, and really reading this over my shoulder...)

> > Shit, somebody sell banner space on this!
>
> Think of all the fun all you wankers will be missing this weekend.

Yeah! Har har har.

Ant

Steven Deem

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

On 9 Apr 1997 kl...@xmission.com wrote:

> Steven Deem <sd...@u.washington.edu> wrote:
>
> > You're on. I'll bring my parasail. Assuming we'll need a tie-breaker.
>
> Where are we gonna get the boat? Or do you me paraglider. There is a
> difference you know... or maybe you don't.

Is "do you me", a sexual innuendo, or a line from the
Sound of Music?

Oh what the heck - I can find a boat, if you can get someone to drive it
down a ski run.

ram...@aol.com

Apr 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/11/97

Posted to me from the manager of Highlander motel in Rutland Vermont.
Subj: Skiing report from killington Thur.
Date: 97-04-10 12:45:07 EDT
From: ArnoldG535
To: 7175...@compuserve.com, RAMIDOG
To: Sharon. Goodman. Las...@directory.reed.edu
To: Vtbudski, NORMSKI, RZROY, gb...@torchlake.com
To: WSalzman

Sunny but not warm with some wind. Groomed trails were good. On Superstar the
first run down was good. The run over to bear was very good. Killington is
blowing snow on , OL. This weekend is the mogul thing. The top of OL looked
hard. Cruise
control was wonderful, but the gondola was going at half speed. Bittersweet
and
Skyelark were very good. After a pit stop I can not afford a coffee break up
the K chair. It was cold on top. I skied down cascade and the less said the
better. It was firm. Double Dipper was better but the sugar near the bottom
was deep. Rim Run and East falls was very good.

If it warms most, of the mountain is still covered the skiing could be very
good.

Dale Bish

Apr 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/11/97

AAA5B...@seanet.com> <334AE9...@seanet.com> <334C4F...@flash.net>

Jamie (nmj...@flash.net) wrote:
: Anthea and Two Buddha is WAY BETTER than the Young & the
: Restless. Even better than a Tyson/Holyfield match!

No way, Victor is falling in love with Nikki as we speak. I could give a
rats ass about some Australian wack ass stayin up in seattle on some couch
which probably has a higher sperm count than Cafe 101.

: I'm puttin' my dinero on Ant...all the way...TKO, 4th

No way, TB doesn't lose, he gets cheap. That's why I stopped caring about
him

: Shit, somebody sell banner space on this!

Only after they advertise for the Dodgers....

: > Anthea wrote:

Nothing that ever interested me in the slightest.
She is obviously a silly skier for so many reasons with very little
creativity. Anybody who wants to stay with TB deserves to be castrated by
the wholier than I prophet of Crail. TB should give her the HBI, push her
out of bed and send her flailing back to Australia (isn't almost winter
there anyways) where she can hide in some guys pouch, maybe work on her
weboage which has the merit of a UCD psych lecture.
Oh but she has to wait for the Vailized meeting of the bored and
pathetic who are chained to their desks 5 days a week, ski once a month
and post as if they really are skiers.
See the funny thing is I used to have some twisted respect for
this holiest of cliches because the founding members were all decent
skiers who skied a decent amount of days but it has turned into the losers
of the net nightly dose of humor.
The post about rsa going down the pot is right on. 18 months of
sheep jokes is kinda overkill, or in TB's case, overhill. Its cool when
we spring up real issues, bash the beef around with occasional sheep
references and end up doggpiling on me...but for the last 3 or 4 months
its basically a you stroke my shlong and I'll paddle your ass kinda thing
for a bunch of guys who think they can ski, but when it comes down to it
they say "Oh I have to bail cuz I have to work or babysit or make dinner"
like the true losers that they are.
There are a few guys on board this train wreck that I like, some I
respect and a whole bunch of randoms who are in serious need of balls,
face-shots and a life.
Go Big or Go home...to Australia
Dale
Tahoe:Tales of Stupidty are better than Tails of Packrats

--
***************************************************** /\
You can't be lost if you don't care where you are. * _/ \

Email me at: Or check out my websites:
drb...@ucdavis.edu http://www.hyperski.co
bish...@sprynet.com http://www.wzone.com/snozone/bishzone
alpin...@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/7705
http://asucd.ucdavis.edu/orgs/other/sos
http://www.rockandice.com

Scott Abraham

Apr 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/11/97

Dale Bish, the arbiter of cool, opined from Moo U, CA:

Excuse me a second before I ream this sombitch a new asshole.
Anthea, do you mind being quiet while I write? I can't compose insults when
all I can hear is "Bloody Wanker. Probably wears a goatee. Wipes his bum
with his napkin....He's so useless he couldn't organize a gang bang in a
brothel. A shit in a toilet. A piss up in a brewery. He wouldn't know what
was cool if it jumped up and bit him on the bum."

Thank you.

Bish, you pissant punk:

> No way, Victor is falling in love with Nikki as we speak. I could give a
> rats ass about some Australian wack ass stayin up in seattle on some couch
> which probably has a higher sperm count than Cafe 101.

Bish, only wankers have sperm count couches. Real Men fuck in beds, not in
their parents living rooms.

> : I'm puttin' my dinero on Ant...all the way...TKO, 4th
>
> No way, TB doesn't lose, he gets cheap. That's why I stopped caring about
> him

Bish, you stopped caring because every time you fuck with me, you lose.

> Nothing that ever interested me in the slightest.
> She is obviously a silly skier for so many reasons with very little
> creativity.

There are more ways to be creative than to suck your own dick on the net,
Bish. One way you might consider is to become an aware human being who has a
modicum of insight about his own actions and reactions.
I can hereby testify she is certainly not a silly skier. Her ability level,
or anyone else's, does not matter except in your warped value system. Her
enthusiasm level is very high...and that is all I care about.

> Anybody who wants to stay with TB deserves to be castrated by
> the wholier than I prophet of Crail.

Bish, you incredibly stupid moron, would you care to explain how you can
castrate a woman?

> TB should give her the HBI, push her
> out of bed and send her flailing back to Australia (isn't almost winter
> there anyways) where she can hide in some guys pouch, maybe work on her
> weboage which has the merit of a UCD psych lecture.

Perhaps you should pay more attention at the UCD psych lectures, Bish. They
obviously are above your head, especially the parts about developmental tasks,
ethical and moral codes, and personal accountability.
Consider the notion, you testosterone laden wanker, that a grown man and a
grown woman could spend plenty of time together, enjoy each other immensely,
and not have the slightest intention of bedding each other.
Crawl into your own pouch, Bish-the one your head is stuck up.

> Oh but she has to wait for the Vailized meeting of the bored and
> pathetic who are chained to their desks 5 days a week, ski once a month
> and post as if they really are skiers.

Don't know about you, Bish, but I'm got 18 days in the last four weeks, fifty
for the year.
Not bad for such a bored and pathetic old man.

> See the funny thing is I used to have some twisted respect for
> this holiest of cliches because the founding members were all decent
> skiers who skied a decent amount of days but it has turned into the losers
> of the net nightly dose of humor.

Better to be a loser on the net than a loser everywhere, loser.

> The post about rsa going down the pot is right on. 18 months of
> sheep jokes is kinda overkill, or in TB's case, overhill.

Did I tell you about the time I fucked a sheep and she dropped a turd that
fermented into Bish?

> Its cool when
> we spring up real issues, bash the beef around with occasional sheep
> references and end up doggpiling on me...but for the last 3 or 4 months
> its basically a you stroke my shlong and I'll paddle your ass kinda thing
> for a bunch of guys who think they can ski, but when it comes down to it
> they say "Oh I have to bail cuz I have to work or babysit or make dinner"
> like the true losers that they are.

I'm writing from Whistler, Bish.
Where the fuck are you?
I skied 35,000 verts on six different pairs of skis today.
I was given the VIP tour of Olin yesterday.
Bite me.

> There are a few guys on board this train wreck that I like, some I
> respect and a whole bunch of randoms who are in serious need of balls,
> face-shots and a life.

Here's my offer, you stupid, ignorant coward.
Anytime you want to, show up in Seattle and lets see if you have the balls to
talk to my face the way you talk on the net. I guarantee you plenty of face
shots.
My bet is you'll piss your diaper and whine about being bullied.

Kiss my ass, punk.

Scott Abraham

Evets

Apr 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/11/97

Ray F. wrote:

> Ok Folks,
> I've sat on the sidelines on this one and watched the hype and the truth
> mixed in good fashion. I've been skiing for better than 30 years. I have
> skied mostly GS skis from Atomic, Kastle, Blizzard and Fisher. On
> occasion I've bought and enjoyed slalom cuts from Atomic both this years
> SL and the 833SL which I loved. This year I was given a pair of Fischer
> Race Revolutions with ESS bindings mounted, to race on. These are the
> fastest most stable ski I have EVER skied. I like them so much I hung up
> the Atomic sl s early and have been skiing only the revolutions.
> The revolutions are a hybrid parabolic ski with a matched tip and tail
> of 89mm. I put them up against my Fischer RC4s, the tip is about the
> same and the tail I guess is about a 1/2 inch wider. Every person I have
> let try these, 4 total, have since gone out and bought a pair for
> themselves.

> I hear a lot of people spouting off how parabolics aren't for racing.
> The winner of this years Govenor Adams cup at Loon was skiing the same
> skis.
>
> My 2 cents
>
> Ray

Thats really a great ski! I love mine.

ram...@aol.com

Apr 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/11/97

Subj: Very nice on the slopes
Date: 97-04-11 15:01:20 EDT
From: ArnoldG535
m, RAMIDOG

Friday at Killington was sunny but not warm. The snow is groomed but not wet.
Bear Mtn the first thing was very good. The second run down Wildfire was
already not very good. Skyeburst into Bear Claw was very good.
Needles eye was good: Great eastern into cruise was
wonderful. Bittersweet was groomed and very good.

After a eye full at the base lodge we went up and did the Canyon area. This
was the site of a deathWed. from a heart attack. The skiing there was good
but there was sand growing rapidly. After everyone left us we went over to
Chute on Snowdon. This was near perfect spring condition. It was soft
carveable snow. I used the boards as a snowboarder would and it was nice. A
very good day for me until I came home to see the dow down 110 points.

The weather is still iffy but maybe not that bad.

Scott Abraham

Apr 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/11/97

Dale Bish played Mr. Passive Agressive:

> : Bish, you stopped caring because every time you fuck with me, you lose.
>
> If that's the case why am I still trying?

Stupidity.

> : Bish. One way you might consider is to become an aware human being who has a

> : modicum of insight about his own actions and reactions.
>

> This coming from the guy who thrives off of calling people whores,
> pissants, schlongs and joking about screwing sheep?

Yup. Except for two exceptions, you and the slut of rsa, I do so in
good
humor with no intent to harm. As for you two, I make no secret that you
are
jerks. I treat you as such.

> She could be a great skier but I have never seen one inteligent post
> made by her, you have made some good comments, especially during the
> K2/Olin thing.

Bish, if you had a clue, you'd notice a consistent pattern of very funny
satire of skiing, skiing culture, and people with overblown egos who
think
being a good skier makes them a good person.
Anthea is not a great skier. Not even close. But she's got more class
in
her flat feet than you'll ever have. She was intelligent enough to spot
you
as a wanker long ago-which is why, of course, you launched your
tasteless,
mean-spirited, uncalled for attack. There was no humor in your words,
Bish,
just the bitter venom of an insecure punk.

> Look below, I have some respect for you and the others (klaus, dave,
> bd) who started this whole Vailized thing, bust most of the people
> who were supposed to do this Vailien revival thing are obviously a
> step below you on the ski pumpometer. And let's not do a I ski 50
> days thing, I don't care about your days, I'm sure you ski a bunch,
> that wasn't the point, you're not the one I was aiming that towards.

So what, dickweed? What does it matter how much I ski? When did the
amount
of skiing days become a pre-requisite for posting to rsa? Stick that
ski
pumpometer up your ass and get to work...you might get enough oxygen to
your
over-concussed brain so you could perceive the bullshit you are
spreading.

> :
> : > See the funny thing is I used to have some twisted respect for

> : > this holiest of cliches because the founding members were all decent
> : > skiers who skied a decent amount of days but it has turned into the losers
> : > of the net nightly dose of humor.

I've met a good portion of those supposed "losers", Bish. They tend to
be
damn fine people, considerate and compassionate. If they are losers and
you
ain't, just call me a loser too.
> :

> : I was given the VIP tour of Olin yesterday.
>
> So you can kiss ass with the best of them, I already knew this.

Yup. Unlike you, I admit it. Unlike you, I have a sense of humor and
perspective, which makes the whole thing into one big joke. I think it
is
absolutely hilarious that a dirt bag old fart like me is skiing next
year's
top of the line skis for free while a young idiot like you is paying for
his
gear.
Yuk, yuk, yuk.

> : Bite me.
> I fear the diseases you've acquired from so many years of sheep
> jokes, Aussie lasses and "sluts" to use your own words.

Was only one slut. I seem to remember she fucked with your mind a bit,
too,
though that ain't all that hard a job.
Be accurate, Bish. I got those diseases from Buttdawg-no where else.

> Stupid? yes, ignorant? arent we all. coward? since when, how did you
> get that?

Cowards slander and launch ad hominem attacks.
Cowards are passive agressive assholes who lie, manipulate, and brag.
Cowards have big mouths and run when someone calls their bluff.

> So I want to show up in Seattle, in order to get knocked by someone,
> gee that sounds fun. Why don't I just stay here and ski rad
> terrain, then go to Whistler, ski rad terrain then go to Yosemite
> and climb rad terrain?

Why don't you shut the fuck up, asshole?

> : My bet is you'll piss your diaper and whine about being bullied.
>
> I'm sure nothing would make you happier...what was that krap about
> being an adult, secure, blah, blah?

As predicted, you whine.

> Look, I'm not insulting your skiing or whatever..

Bish, I could care less if you insulted my skiing. Everybody else does,
why
not you?
You insulted a friend of mine, and you insulted me. You did so without
humor, with ill intent. You have no class.

I've realized over
> the years that you do give a shit about the sport, for whatever
> reasons. What I'm saying is that your posts are getting old. Your
> followers have lost their creativity, the good guys in your club
> have bailed on you and have been replaced by some total comp geeks
> who would rather argue about sheep than if K2 is acting with pure
> motives or the real qualities of the different ski areas.

Bish, you dumbfuck, I have no followers. There is no cult. It is a
joke,
Bish, one huge fucking joke, and you still havn't gotten it.

> Youre the shrink, tell me what is the psychological need to join a
> group of people who do the same thing over and over, year after
> year.

It's called repetition compulsion, Bish. Next time you stick your head
up
your ass, ask yourself why you are doing it again.

Bite me.

Two Buddha

Vail: Will somebody please rid me of this pesky varmint?

Scott Abraham

Apr 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/11/97

Kate MacLean

Apr 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/11/97

Anthea wrote:

> [...]

> > of crampons, dial up warp speed without a quiver. Stomp on them and
> > play snowboarder, lighten up on the angulation and carve old fashioned
> > GS turns, even hit the bumps (lightly).
>
> Good for ruining snowboard parks, too, I notice!
> A horrible sight. A grown man zooming up the ramps, and pounding the
> tops into oblivion, while the kids wail and hurl abuse.
>
> > Simply the best pair of skis I've ever slapped on my size 14's, and I've
> > tried most of the good ones.
> > I feel like Fred Astaire the day he met Ginger Rogers. Batman the day
> > he met Robin. Buttdawg the day he met Dennis Rodman. klaus the day he
> > met Buttdawg.
> > I've found my dancing partner.
>
> Dancing?!
>
> > Vail: Olin is guilty, guilty, guilty of making a hell of a ski.
>
> And guess what is on those stickers he defaced his nice white skis

Ya know...is it just me, or is it that after two weeks of skiing these
two sound like an old married couple...??? Votes on this, anyone?

Kate, GWN
Live from the Ottawa Bureau of the Valien Revival.

Dale Bish

Apr 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/12/97

: Bish, you pissant punk:

: Bish, you stopped caring because every time you fuck with me, you lose.

If that's the case why am I still trying? It's just that mostof your
topics bore the shit out of me, but this one was addressed to me.

: Bish. One way you might consider is to become an aware human being who has a
: modicum of insight about his own actions and reactions.

This coming from the guy who thrives off of calling people whores,
pissants, schlongs and joking about screwing sheep?

: or anyone else's, does not matter except in your warped value system. Her

: enthusiasm level is very high...and that is all I care about.

She could be a great skier but I have never seen one inteligent post

made by her, you have made some good comments, especially during the
K2/Olin thing.

: obviously are above your head, especially the parts about developmental tasks,

: ethical and moral codes, and personal accountability.

Again, coming from whom?

[...]

And I'm rubber and your glue, whatever you say bounces on me and
sticks on you...gee you're sinking lower Scott

: > The post about rsa going down the pot is right on. 18 months of

: > sheep jokes is kinda overkill, or in TB's case, overhill.
:
: Did I tell you about the time I fucked a sheep and she dropped a turd that
: fermented into Bish?

Well your mama is so fat....

: > they say "Oh I have to bail cuz I have to work or babysit or make dinner"

: > like the true losers that they are.
:
: I'm writing from Whistler, Bish.

you're the exception, like I said in the og, the losers are those
who bailed on you.

: Where the fuck are you?
kirkwood

: I skied 35,000 verts on six different pairs of skis today.
Hope you had fun, I can't wait to be up there in a week or two.

[...]

: Scott Abraham
rsa's finest in action.

Look, I'm not insulting your skiing or whatever..I've realized over

the years that you do give a shit about the sport, for whatever
reasons. What I'm saying is that your posts are getting old. Your
followers have lost their creativity, the good guys in your club
have bailed on you and have been replaced by some total comp geeks
who would rather argue about sheep than if K2 is acting with pure
motives or the real qualities of the different ski areas.

When prompted to, you can make some damn good arguments with some
good humor, but most of the time all of this krap is just boring.
Ant who posts more than anyone save yourself never makes any good
arguments that I or anyone else have noticed. She and the rest of
your new Vailized schlongs are using rec.skiing as rec.lamejokes and
obviously I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Youre the shrink, tell me what is the psychological need to join a
group of people who do the same thing over and over, year after
year.

I'm going to SLT to a south shore local party, hope you have fun at
home arguing about the name of your cellar-on the newsgroup.

Nate Abbott

Apr 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/12/97

If im waas not so drunk right now and I could focus I would rip on both
of you brats. Chill the heckk out/ Nate Dogg

Good Ol' Ed

Apr 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/12/97

Evets wrote:

> Ray F. wrote:
> > I hear a lot of people spouting off how parabolics aren't for racing.
> > The winner of this years Govenor Adams cup at Loon was skiing the same
> > skis.
> >
> > My 2 cents
> >
> > Ray
>
> Thats really a great ski! I love mine.

Most racing bears little resemblance to REAL skiing.
Notice how they "prepare" a course...first they cut down all the moguls
and then ice the course. Now you have a condition that only may bear
resemblance to early Eastern skiing.
Then they put up gates that make all the turns of nearly the same
radius.
Further, to cover a range of turn radii, they divide the competition
into 4 different turn radius events...slolom, GS, Super G and downhill
.
This whole affair resembles nothing that relates to real expert skiing
such as practised by most people skiing here at xxxx or other decent ski
areas. It is more like what we do to endure the groomed runout at the
bottom of the hill.

I don't see how it helps to develope decent skis for real skiing...this
may explain where all the shaped skis came from and why people are
racing on them.

Good Ol' Ed

Mogul events are more pertinent to the real thing.

Patrick Chase

Apr 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/12/97

In article <334FF0...@sisna.com>, Good Ol' Ed <e...@sisna.com> writes:
|> Most racing bears little resemblance to REAL skiing.
|> Notice how they "prepare" a course...first they cut down all the moguls
|> and then ice the course. Now you have a condition that only may bear
|> resemblance to early Eastern skiing.
|> Then they put up gates that make all the turns of nearly the same
|> radius.

In general you're right, but I have to disagree with this last one. A good,
difficult course for any of the 4 alpine events will have (very) roughly a
2:1 variation in turn radii from the tightest turn to the most open. Turn
radius variation is why we have delays and flushes.

-- Patrick

CZGRAGGEN

Apr 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/12/97

Hey Good'Ol ED,
The ski racers are far superior to anybody else on the slopes.
Freestyle came about from those not good enough to make the US team back
in the late 60's and early 70's.
As for the radius of turns being all the same that is a bunch of bull.
The radius is similar in each event but each turn is a little different.

Richard Culpeper, M.A.

Apr 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/12/97

If you were a high end racer, you might have a different opinion.
--

Richard Culpeper
E-mail: cul...@lawlab.law.uwo.ca

"Hour after hour, day after day, far from sight of shore,
We laughed and sang and slept under the hot sun on the northern ocean,
Wanting never to return."
-- Kimosippi '95 --

Good Ol' Ed

Apr 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/12/97

Then how come they use different skis for each event? And why do some
skiers specialize in only 1 or 2 events?

Why don't they set up a race that combines the elements of all the
events...gates greatly varying in tightness so the skier and his
equipment would have to perform over a wide range of speed and turn
radii?
This would relate much better to real skiing.

Good Ol' Ed

Tell us the details of the superiority of the racers...and which type of
racers are so superior to lesser typs of racers.

CZGRAGGEN

Apr 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/13/97

As the person who first raised the question, let me explain why I did so.
As in all sports there are rules on equipment. Square grooves were
temporarily outlawed on the PGA tour because it made the course too easy
for the pros. In skiing, the major recipients of the new parabolic skis
are the recreational skiers, racers already know how to use that metal
strip on each side of the ski.
I was just curious as to what extent the FIS would allow their use on
the World Cup tour. Just as break-away poles back in 81 allowed for a much
straighter line in slalom, a ski which could turn quicker would do the
same again. Also the new skis are also slightly shorter due to the
increased surface area on the snow. That creates a ski that is very
unstable at high speeds (not good at 50 MPH or even higher). All I wanted
was the simple answer if there were rules against the skis. Let us not, as
even I did, become testy about racing and recreational skiing.
Thanks for all the input
Ziggy

Dale Bish

Apr 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/13/97

Scott Abraham (scot...@seanet.com) spent a good long time using all
of his vocabulary:

: Stupidity.
[...]

: As predicted, you whine.
:
You have no class.
:
: Bish, you dumbfuck,
: Bish, one huge fucking joke, and you still havn't gotten it.

: Next time you stick your head up your ass, ask yourself why you
are doing it again.
:
: Vail: Will somebody please rid me of this pesky varmint?
:

ALright Scott, 18 months of the same shit is enough. Call me
everything you want to, I don't care. If you want to flex your mind
by using every four letter word in the english language, go ahead.

I'm stopping this stupid game.
All I'm saying is that your friends, whatever you want to call them
should post about skiing, what they know, where they ski, how the
conditions are, what certain skis feel like, new gear, technique
debate, etc. and not use rec.SKIING.alpine as a 21st century soap
opera/personals. It's just stupid and I know you realize that
rec.SKIING.alpine posts should probably have something to do with
skiing.
If not, well I'm ignoring your shit until the next time you have a
good argument about something I, and the rest of rsa cares about.
This current thread is totally unrelated to skiing, so it is over.
Email me if you want, I don't care, but stop making this NEWSgroup a
piece of shit that makes people flock to the K2 page.
Dale
Tahoe:Great skiing today, see my other post.

Richard Culpeper, M.A.

Apr 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/13/97

Good Ol' Ed wrote:
--snip--

> Why don't they set up a race that combines the elements of all the
> events...gates greatly varying in tightness so the skier and his
> equipment would have to perform over a wide range of speed and turn
> radii?
> This would relate much better to real skiing.
--snip--

Well, how about a top to bottom run including:
Super-G
G.S.
Slalom
Bumps
Nordic Jump
Skate

It's called the Telemark Classic, and yes, it is one of those darn FIS
things.

klaus@xmission.com@editme.first

Apr 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/13/97

Richard Culpeper, M.A. <cul...@lawlab.law.uwo.ca> wrote:

> Well, how about a top to bottom run including:
> Super-G
> G.S.
> Slalom
> Bumps
> Nordic Jump
> Skate

> It's called the Telemark Classic, and yes, it is one of those darn FIS
> things.
> --

You forgot the walk uphill part where they do the little circle thingy.

-klaus

Vail-all downhill.

Hugh Grierson

Apr 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/14/97

In article <5ij7pf$o...@news.sdd.hp.com>, pat...@sdd.hp.com (Patrick Chase) wrote:
>In article <5ij1ud$13...@sol.caps.maine.edu>, brod...@upside.net (Kevin T.
> Broderick) writes:
>|> Methinks (and I could very likely be wrong) that these radii are based on
>|> extending the curve of the sidecut while the ski is flat.
>
>That was my understanding. I know that Atomic, Fischer, Kastle, and K2 rate
>their skis this way.

Do K2 state a sidecut radius? I have only seen them state the sidecut depth
in mm ((tip+tail-2*waist)/4).

Also, how would you measure the radius of a non-circular sidecut (eg Elan's
cycloid and parabolic sidecuts)?

Speaking of Elan, if anyone has skied their WC Super-G ski then please email
me...

-H

Richard Culpeper, M.A.

Apr 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/14/97
to "klaus@xmi...@editme.first

kl...@xmission.com@editme.first wrote:
--snip--

> You forgot the walk uphill part where they do the little circle thingy.
--snip--

Thanks, I did forget it.

Hugh Grierson

Apr 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/14/97

In article <334FF0...@sisna.com>, Good Ol' Ed <e...@sisna.com> wrote:
>Then they put up gates that make all the turns of nearly the same
>radius.

That has already been clearly refuted.

>This whole affair resembles nothing that relates to real expert skiing
>such as practised by most people skiing here at xxxx or other decent ski
>areas.

I guess there's "real expert skiing such as practised by most people" and
then there's real expert skiing. One thing in common between racing and
real expert skiing is speed.

>I don't see how it helps to develope decent skis for real skiing...

I disagree. The strongest expert free skiers have traditionally always used
race skis, and as far as I can tell most of them will continue to do so.
Slalom skis for bumps and steeps, GS or SuperG skis for powder and crud,
SuperG or DH skis for big air.

> this
>may explain where all the shaped skis came from and why people are
>racing on them.

Huh? I don't understand this conclusion, even given the premise.

-H

Let Mikey Ski It!

Apr 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/14/97

On Tue, Apr 15, 1997 5:18 AM, Benjamin Charles Ferguson
<mailto:ferg...@lincoln.ac.nz> wrote:
--snip other stuff about Bishead--
>If I lived in Australia (or in my case NZ) I would go home too, to get as
far
>away from a retarded knee jirk like you, and you really are one, there is
no
>doubt about that.

Bengy,

Your application for Vailization is in the mail. I put a gold star on it.
Please return it asap.

I think the next Vailien reunion needs to be in Kiwi-land this July/August.
I bet Bengy would show us around and pay for our tickets. Any takers?
(humor inclined only, please).

Pow...

Vail: Looking for a few good kiwis

Mike Saemisch, Salt Lake City, Utah
Visit me at http://www.sisna.com/users/MSaemisch
Visualize whirled peas.

Scott Abraham

Apr 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/14/97

Mikey told Bengy that he was a good bloke wwho knows a wanker when he
sees one:

> Bengy,
>
> Your application for Vailization is in the mail. I put a gold star on it.
> Please return it asap.

Two Buddha adds his hearty endorsement. Anthea will pay the initiation
fee, and even volunteered to stick her head in the fence at Xxxx to
spare Bengy.

> I think the next Vailien reunion needs to be in Kiwi-land this July/August.
> I bet Bengy would show us around and pay for our tickets. Any takers?
> (humor inclined only, please).

Anthea has already offered to charter a plane for a Vailien Revival at
Thredbo, but anyone who knows anything about Aussie skiing has declined.

Two Buddha

Vail: Who is Bo Thread?

Jay Levine

Apr 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/14/97

czgr...@aol.com (CZGRAGGEN) wrote:

> I was just curious as to what extent the FIS would allow their use on
>the World Cup tour.

Look at some of the sidecuts on most of the skis that World Cuppers
have ALREADY been skiing on for the last 2 or 3 years. I think you
will find some rather large ones...

So I'm sure that they are allowed.

-Jay

Scott Abraham

Apr 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/14/97

Dale Bish wrote:
> No way, Victor is falling in love with Nikki as we speak.

Now, why doesn't it suprise me that an alleged university student is
watching crap soap operas?

> I could give a
> rats ass about some Australian wack ass stayin up in seattle on some couch
> which probably has a higher sperm count than Cafe 101.

Well, actually, he has a very large bed for that sort of thing. Don't
worry, you'll be able to have one too, in a few years. That'll beat
wanking off behind the woodshed over playboy, won't it?

> : I'm puttin' my dinero on Ant...all the way...TKO, 4th
>
> No way, TB doesn't lose, he gets cheap. That's why I stopped caring about him

And he's still recovering from the experience. It's totally shattered
him.

> : > Anthea wrote:
>
> Nothing that ever interested me in the slightest.
> She is obviously a silly skier for so many reasons with very little
> creativity.

Dear oh dear. You really shouldn't post while drunk. Especially at your
age. I take it you are not studying Humanities at your "university"?
Applied woodwork, basketweaving II and Maths in Society more likely.

> and send her flailing back to Australia (isn't almost winter
> there anyways)

Obviously you're not doing Geography! Are you sure your surname isn't
Slifkin?

>, maybe work on her
> weboage which has the merit of a UCD psych lecture.

Ahhh, the deft touch of a true wit at work. I defer to the sheer
artistry, the effortless play on words...
you should be getting pretty good at web pages by now, you've got enough
of them. Have you managed to do a good one yet?
Keep at it.

> Oh but she has to wait for the Vailized meeting of the bored and
> pathetic who are chained to their desks 5 days a week, ski once a month
> and post as if they really are skiers.

Sigh. And I thought this 7 week tour of approx. 15 ski areas half way
around the world counted for something!
Then again, some people have to earn money before they can spend it on
skiing. Your parents, for instance.

> but it has turned into the losers
> of the net nightly dose of humor.

Then I take it you'll register your disapproval by buggering off soon?
That'll really teach us a lesson.

> Its cool when
> we spring up real issues, bash the beef around with occasional sheep
> references and end up doggpiling on me...

Why don't you explain to everyone exactly what is cool, and tell us what
we should and shouldn't post? We're pretty stupid after all.
We await your instruction. Could you please try to make it entertaining,
though? Your posts are generally distinguished by their tediousness.
Boring as Batshit, in fact.

I thought you reached your nadir with a recent post, where you informed
the world that you were drunk and about to jump off a cliff.
Wow. I'm glad you shared that with us.

> There are a few guys on board this train wreck that I like, some I

> respect and a whole bunch of randoms who are in serious need of balls,
> face-shots and a life.

I hope you are prepared to face the consquences of what you have just
said. People are going to be commiting suicide, going into therapy,
giving up skiing, becoming psychopaths, all because you don't respect
them.

> Go Big or Go home...to Australia

I take it that you would like me to leave your country? Oh dear.
Everyone has been so nice. Oh well, I'll just have to go, cos Bish
doesn't like me.

> Dale
> Tahoe:Tales of Stupidty are better than Tails of Packrats

How true. How are you doing in Remedial spelling and punctuation? I
presume your "university" offers that?

I am so impressed by all your web pages and e-mail addresses. You are my
hero. Can I be like you?

Anthea
(Living in a Petulent Little Boy-free zone)

Benjamin Charles Ferguson

Apr 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/15/97

>Jamie (nmj...@flash.net) wrote:
>: Anthea and Two Buddha is WAY BETTER than the Young & the
>: Restless. Even better than a Tyson/Holyfield match!

>No way, Victor is falling in love with Nikki as we speak. I could give a

>rats ass about some Australian wack ass stayin up in seattle on some couch
>which probably has a higher sperm count than Cafe 101.

>: I'm puttin' my dinero on Ant...all the way...TKO, 4th

>No way, TB doesn't lose, he gets cheap. That's why I stopped caring about
>him

>: Shit, somebody sell banner space on this!

>Only after they advertise for the Dodgers....

>: > Anthea wrote:

> Nothing that ever interested me in the slightest.
>She is obviously a silly skier for so many reasons with very little

>creativity. Anybody who wants to stay with TB deserves to be castrated by
>the wholier than I prophet of Crail. TB should give her the HBI, push her

>out of bed and send her flailing back to Australia (isn't almost winter

>there anyways) where she can hide in some guys pouch, maybe work on her

>weboage which has the merit of a UCD psych lecture.

> Oh but she has to wait for the Vailized meeting of the bored and
>pathetic who are chained to their desks 5 days a week, ski once a month
>and post as if they really are skiers.

They are still probably better than you!
Do you respect me for skiing 42 days last season...
I DON'T THINK SO!!
Mind you I don't have much respect for you either, so we'll get along just
fine.

> See the funny thing is I used to have some twisted respect for
>this holiest of cliches because the founding members were all decent

>skiers who skied a decent amount of days but it has turned into the losers

>of the net nightly dose of humor.

> The post about rsa going down the pot is right on. 18 months of

>sheep jokes is kinda overkill, or in TB's case, overhill. Its cool when

>we spring up real issues, bash the beef around with occasional sheep

>references and end up doggpiling on me...but for the last 3 or 4 months

As for the sheep, you seem to be the only one bringing them up, is that
because they keep running away from you (which sounds like a good idea)
Please leave the sheep alone, cos they are nice animals thet don't deserve the
bullshit label that you have given them.
And stop trying to make up for your deprived life.

>its basically a you stroke my shlong and I'll paddle your ass kinda thing
>for a bunch of guys who think they can ski, but when it comes down to it

>they say "Oh I have to bail cuz I have to work or babysit or make dinner"
>like the true losers that they are.

> There are a few guys on board this train wreck that I like, some I
>respect and a whole bunch of randoms who are in serious need of balls,
>face-shots and a life.

>Go Big or Go home...to Australia

If I lived in Australia (or in my case NZ) I would go home too, to get as far

away from a retarded knee jirk like you, and you really are one, there is no
doubt about that.

Down here we put our faith in gravity to keep the snow on the mountains in
winter.
Whoever has the most jelly beans at the end of the day wins.

My middle name is CHARLES, & don't you forget it

Bengy

Jeff Preston

Apr 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/15/97

Patrick Chase wrote:

> The funny thing is that a lot of the skidders believe that they are carving
> their turns. If they're happy, then more power to them!
>
> -- Patrick

You're right! It's amazing. I teach full-time at Keystone and when I
talk to a new student before we go skiing they tell me they are carving.
In the 10+ years I have been teaching here I have never seen a
recreational skier carve a clean turn. The only skiers I see carve
around here are a few of the locals with a race background, the kids in
the local race program, and the national teams that come here early
season to train.

And the many and varied opinions I have heard on this newsgroup about
shape-skis (too many to mention) are probably part of the same
phenomenom: everyone thinks they're carving, but when you watch them ski
it's an entirely different animal.

One last word on shape-ski opinions: around here in Summit county the
very best of the local skiers, real experts, a few who have significant
racing experience including world cup, are ALL on shape skis.

Jeff

klaus@xmission.com@editme.first

Apr 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/15/97

Butt Dawg <butt...@aol.com> wrote:

> On 13 Apr 1997 the knee dragger himself, kl...@xmission.com wrote:

> > You forgot the walk uphill part where they do the little circle thingy.

> In teleracing it's called a ripasshole(sp?).

No.. you spelled it right. And I knew you'd know the right term for it
since its always yours that gets.....

> In your case I believe it's
> called a circle-jerk.

You are showing up for the next one.. right? It was so much more fun
with you sitting in the middle with your mouth open.

-klaus

Vail-mouth agape.

Pray For Snow

Apr 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/15/97

Butt Dawg (butt...@aol.com) wrote:

: The current worlds record for *intentional* cliff jumping is held by a
: Kiwi. Something like 58 meters (190.288713'). You better be nice to them
: or they'll invite you down there and kick your sorry ass.

Will they pay my airfare? Could be just like the Simpsons episode.
Patrick
I can't get no, Internetaction

Butt Dawg

Apr 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/15/97

On 13 Apr 1997 the knee dragger himself, kl...@xmission.com wrote:

> > It's called the Telemark Classic, and yes, it is one of those darn FIS
> > things.

> You forgot the walk uphill part where they do the little circle thingy.

In teleracing it's called a riplocche (sp?). In your case I believe it's
called a circle-jerk.

Andrew

Butt Dawg

Apr 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/15/97

BishMan wrote:

> Go Big or Go home...to Australia

Bishop,

The current worlds record for *intentional* cliff jumping is held by a
Kiwi. Something like 58 meters (190.288713'). You better be nice to them
or they'll invite you down there and kick your sorry ass.

Andrew

(Yeah I know - Kiwi's aren't Aussies, but close enough.)

Eric Carlson

Apr 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/15/97

Better through some trees in also

Richard Culpeper, M.A. wrote:

> kl...@xmission.com@editme.first wrote:
> --snip--

> > You forgot the walk uphill part where they do the little circle thingy.

Scott Abraham

Apr 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/15/97

Kate MacLean bemoaned losing the opportunity to become the third broad TB
took to Canada this year, after Anthea and Nadine:

> Ya know...is it just me, or is it that after two weeks of skiing these
> two sound like an old married couple...??? Votes on this, anyone?

If sounding like an old married couple means that I'm getting a ton of shit
but no nookie, that sounds like marriage. No wonder I am a life-long
bachelor.
In this case, I must be a bigamist, because Nadine is chiming in, too.
Perhaps I should have consummated these relationships, so at least I could
console myself with the knowledge that I'd gotten some goodies for my
trouble.

> Kate, GWN
> Live from the Ottawa Bureau of the Valien Revival.

The Whistler bureau just closed down today. I dropped Anthea off at the bus
stop and headed for Banff-only made it to Revelstoke before I got tired.
With typical TB luck, I've checked into a motel that has a bar that has the
Chippendale's playing downstairs.
Hmmmmm.....show should be over just about now.
Toodle.

Vail: Bigamy in skiing with Beaver Creek

Dale Bish

Apr 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/16/97

Benjamin Charles Ferguson (ferg...@lincoln.ac.nz) wrote:
: If I lived in Australia (or in my case NZ) I would go home too, to get as far
: away from a retarded knee jirk like you, and you really are one, there is no
: doubt about that.
:
: Bengy

OK Banger, I said I'm keeping my posts clean so I'll email you instead.
Dale

--
***************************************************** /\
You can't be lost if you don't care where you are. * _/ \
***************************************************** __/ \_
_/ \
Dale Bish / \_
Student, ski bum, future problem for social inequities \

Email me at: Or check out my websites:

Benjamin Charles Ferguson

Apr 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/16/97

>Your application for Vailization is in the mail. I put a gold star on it.
>Please return it asap.

Gee thanks, this award looks really good on my wall. Thank you, thank you
thankyou!

>I think the next Vailien reunion needs to be in Kiwi-land this July/August.
>I bet Bengy would show us around and pay for our tickets. Any takers?
>(humor inclined only, please).

This year I will be skiing at Craigieburn (if you don't know where it is, my
mum says you can't come) for $12 a day NZ. I just hate how expensive this
sport is!!!

I have to warn you, I only ski the South Island, some of the skifields in the
north seem to boil over a bit too often, spilling the broth out of the pot (if
you didn't know this ruins the flavour).

>Pow...
>Vail: Looking for a few good kiwis

Ski Kiwi

The snow is coming, I can feel the change in the force!!
Let it snow, let it snow, LET IT SNOW!!!!!
Please... I'll be good.

Bengy the ski bum

It is loading more messages.