any advice for cozumel, sites/operators/web sites

superfly

Oct 30, 2006, 11:48:19 AM10/30/06
can anyone help with cozumel dives sites/operators and web site advice.
Going for a 1st visit next june. We will be between beginner and
intermediate divers, Thanks, Superfly

ben bradlee

Oct 30, 2006, 5:54:02 PM10/30/06

"superfly" <supe...@mebtel.net> wrote in message

> can anyone help with cozumel dives sites/operators and web site advice.
> Going for a 1st visit next june. We will be between beginner and
> intermediate divers, Thanks, Superfly

Cozumel is one of the most popular and written about destinations. Search
Google groups, specifically rec.scuba.locations and you will find lots of
good information; it's current too.

Chris Bergquist

Oct 30, 2006, 6:14:15 PM10/30/06
You are going to get a lot of help....probably too much...

Good travel agent that knows Cozumel >>>> http://www.islandream.com/

Good web site for Cozumel hotels if you want to do it yourself >>>
http://www.virtualmex.com/cozumel.htm

Good websites for Cozumel information >>>>
http://www.cozumel-hotels.net/index.htm http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/

My favorite dive shop is Aqua Safari. They will pick at all hotel
docks...I think >>>> http://www.aquasafari.com/
Two tank morning dive trip is $60US For $9 more they throw in a third
afternoon dive.
If you you don't need an all inclusive hotel and the accompanying expense
they have a nice, clean, spartan inexpensive ($40) rooms they rent that are
above the dive shop. See their website for photos. They also rent some
nice condos north of town. You will need a car (my opinion). The dive shop
is right on the water front in the middle of town.

Another inexpensive hotel that is on the water and about 1/4 mile south
from the center of town is the Hotel Barracuda. $70/dbl They added a
pool, pool side bar and restaurant. Dive Paradise dive shop is on site.

Last one....Scuba Club Cozumel. It's 3/4 to 1 mile south of town. It's
100% dedicated to divers. The price includes lodging, diving and food.
Makes it real simple. >>>>>>> http://www.scubaclubcozumel.com

Okay, one more...Cozumel Palace. All inclusive, $250-300/dbl low season.
That does not include diving. They are about 3/4 south of town. Aqua
Safari is the in hotel dive operator. I'm told the accommodations a re top
cabin and the food is great. Just more $$$ than I want to spend. I'll save
the extra $150/day and use it on the new motor I'm building for my '67
Fastback....another expensive hobby.

Hope this helps,

Chris
chris...@pacbell.net

Dr Yak

Oct 30, 2006, 9:13:51 PM10/30/06
I heard that Barracuda went all inclusive, but they might not have.
I've always liked having dinner in town.I've stayed at what is now Hotel
Cozumel which is close to Scuba Club Cozumel, but the all inclusive part
is optional, unlike SCC. It would be hard to go wrong in Cozumel.
Bay Adventures (www.bayadventures.com) has been my choice for Cozumel
and Belize, but there are lots of good travel agencies.

chilly

Oct 30, 2006, 10:32:19 PM10/30/06

"ben bradlee" <No...@Way.Bite.Me> wrote in message

Current . . snort . . Cozumel current, get it? :^)

chilly

Oct 30, 2006, 10:34:26 PM10/30/06

"superfly" <supe...@mebtel.net> wrote in message
> can anyone help with cozumel dives sites/operators and web site advice.
> Going for a 1st visit next june. We will be between beginner and
> intermediate divers, Thanks, Superfly

If you don't have your heart set on the beach, then I highly recommend
Baldwin House. It's a B&B, but surpasses that. If you choose this place, I
guarantee you that you'll be raving about it upon your return.

chilly

Oct 30, 2006, 10:34:26 PM10/30/06

"Dr Yak" <Dr....@NoSpam.Com> wrote in message

> I heard that Barracuda went all inclusive, but they might not have.
> I've always liked having dinner in town.I've stayed at what is now Hotel
> Cozumel which is close to Scuba Club Cozumel, but the all inclusive part
> is optional, unlike SCC. It would be hard to go wrong in Cozumel.
> Bay Adventures (www.bayadventures.com) has been my choice for Cozumel
> and Belize, but there are lots of good travel agencies.

It escapes me why anyone would be using a travel agency for Coz or Belize?
Please explain.

Dr Yak

Oct 31, 2006, 7:24:42 AM10/31/06
Good discount on the airfare.

ben bradlee

Oct 31, 2006, 8:17:16 AM10/31/06

"chilly" <sla...@shaw.canada> wrote in message

> Current . . snort . . Cozumel current, get it? :^)

I do now.

Dillon Pyron

Oct 31, 2006, 11:57:48 AM10/31/06
Thus spake Chris Bergquist <chrisb1erg*NOSPAM*@pacbell.net> :

>You are going to get a lot of help....probably too much...
>
>Good travel agent that knows Cozumel >>>> http://www.islandream.com/
>
>Good web site for Cozumel hotels if you want to do it yourself >>>
>http://www.virtualmex.com/cozumel.htm
>
>Good websites for Cozumel information >>>>
>http://www.cozumel-hotels.net/index.htm http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/
>
>My favorite dive shop is Aqua Safari. They will pick at all hotel
>docks...I think >>>> http://www.aquasafari.com/
>Two tank morning dive trip is $60US For $9 more they throw in a third
>afternoon dive.
>If you you don't need an all inclusive hotel and the accompanying expense
>they have a nice, clean, spartan inexpensive ($40) rooms they rent that are
>above the dive shop. See their website for photos. They also rent some
>nice condos north of town. You will need a car (my opinion). The dive shop
>is right on the water front in the middle of town.

Hotel Meson de Cozumel is about a block off Ave. Rafael Melgar on the
plaza. Recently refurbished inside, new pool, fresh tile in all the
rooms, new furniture. Quite a nice place. About $60 a night.

>Another inexpensive hotel that is on the water and about 1/4 mile south
>from the center of town is the Hotel Barracuda. $70/dbl They added a
>pool, pool side bar and restaurant. Dive Paradise dive shop is on site.
>
>Last one....Scuba Club Cozumel. It's 3/4 to 1 mile south of town. It's
>100% dedicated to divers. The price includes lodging, diving and food.
>Makes it real simple. >>>>>>> http://www.scubaclubcozumel.com

Loved Scuba Club. Very nice place, friendly staff, good diving. I
think they segregated us on the dives based on experience, because
except for the last day, all the divers on our boat were quite good
and had equivalent bottom times. The food is good. Drinks not
included, but that seems to be the norm with most AIs until you hit
the stratosphere. Pretty good shore diving, and easy. Nitrox was
about $3 a tank. DMs gave us a profile and we dived whatever our
computers allowed. I've heard that they now require computers, but
have Mares for rent.

--
dillon

If you can't figure out how to unmunge my
address, email me and I'll explain it.

Greg Mossman

Oct 31, 2006, 12:22:20 PM10/31/06
"Dillon Pyron" <dmpyron...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

> Loved Scuba Club. Very nice place, friendly staff, good diving. I
> think they segregated us on the dives based on experience, because
> except for the last day, all the divers on our boat were quite good
> and had equivalent bottom times. The food is good. Drinks not
> included, but that seems to be the norm with most AIs until you hit
> the stratosphere. Pretty good shore diving, and easy. Nitrox was
> about $3 a tank. DMs gave us a profile and we dived whatever our
> computers allowed. I've heard that they now require computers, but
> have Mares for rent.

$3 a tank? That sounds cheap. Even on liveaboards or dive resorts with
"unlimited" packages for $100, you'd still have to do over 30 dives to get
the price down that low.

I'll be diving with Ed Robinson's again in December. They want $15 a tank.

Jer

Oct 31, 2006, 9:53:17 PM10/31/06

Scuba Club's nitrox fee will soon be raised to a competitive rate the
day after they read this.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Dillon Pyron

Nov 1, 2006, 4:25:53 PM11/1/06
Thus spake "Greg Mossman" <mos...@qnet.com> :

I just checked my receipts. Make that 50 pesos a tank. Maybe it's
the Mexican oxygen. All I know is I got solid 3000 psi fills at 32 &
36, on the money.

Don't most liveaboards use an RO system to make nitrox, instead of
banking O2?

>I'll be diving with Ed Robinson's again in December. They want $15 a tank.

I haven't checked with Mike Severns. I know that Dive Makai gives you
a discount if you're diving nitrox, since you have to get the tanks
elsewhere. There's a shop at the King Kam (I think that's where it
is) that opens at 6 for the dive boat business and does tanks & fills
for about $12.

Ron Lee

Nov 1, 2006, 7:17:52 PM11/1/06

>Hotel Meson de Cozumel is about a block off Ave. Rafael Melgar on the
>plaza. Recently refurbished inside, new pool, fresh tile in all the
>rooms, new furniture. Quite a nice place. About $60 a night.

Do you mean Meson San Miguel?

Ron Lee

stan

Nov 2, 2006, 5:40:52 AM11/2/06
I've been going to Cozumel for years and always "dive with Martin". His
operation is out of one of the cruise ship docks (which has never posed a
problem for us). Usually there is a food truck (local tacos, etc) parked on
the road and I enjoy having them for breakfast. There are other more
conventional food sources nearby.
I noticed that others gave recommendations for accommodations. I tend to stay
away from the tourist spots. I can recommend renting a two bedroom home, Casa
Carlita, which is walking distance from the supermarket.

For under $1,000 you can have a private home with maid service. Here is their
website: http://www.cozumel-rental.com

Martin's website is www.divewithmartin.com

They are in new quarters since the last storm. I just visited his website
today and was saddened by the posting of the death of his wife.

My recommendations are obviously 180 degrees apart from hotel and large dive
operations, so it depends on what you like.

I also recommend you rent a jeep type vehicle and tour the island. It's true
you can take taxis, but you won't experience the wonderful people of Cozumel
unless you take in the whole island. While there, consider viewing the ruins.
You will probably find a local there offering guide service and I would
definately recommend it. Lastly, be sure to visit the square and hire local
mariaches. (I apologize for any spelling mistakes).

Wish I was there today.

"superfly" <supe...@mebtel.net> wrote:
>can anyone help with cozumel dives sites/operators and web site advice.
Going for a 1st visit next june. We will be between beginner and

eintermediate divers, Thanks, Superfly

Stan

Nov 2, 2006, 5:46:46 AM11/2/06
I concur that Bay Adventures would be a great place to get reservations. I've
dealt with Al for many years and they have provided the best service.

Stan

Dr Yak <Dr....@NoSpam.Com> wrote:

Mark Lindsey

Nov 4, 2006, 10:54:49 AM11/4/06
If you are looking for a large, new condo, I rent my place out. It has a
dock for the dive boats to pick you up and a ground floor, ventilated and
secure storage space for your dive gear. We are about 1.5 miles north of
town.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzep3sxw/id1.html

or

http://www.travel-library.com/condos/north_america/mexico/cozumel/nah_ha_602.html

Dillon Pyron

Nov 6, 2006, 9:48:19 PM11/6/06
Thus spake nospam...@pcisys.net (Ron Lee) :

Yes. It's only been two years, sometimes the two brain cells don't
talk to each other. Thanks

>Ron Lee

Bill

Nov 26, 2006, 12:36:53 PM11/26/06
Deb & I went to the Reef Club in Cozumel,
http://www.reefclubcozumel.com/cms, We loved the place. We are going
back this april. We dove with Sand Dollar Sports the on site
operator. They were very good and safe. I was impressed that every
boat had a tower on it. They said they had them to make it easier to
spot divers in the water.

On a tip from this group. I bought vouchers from another site that
has no affiliation with the resort. The guy just buys and resells
these vouchers. He gets $225 for them.
What the voucher does is makes you a VIP member for a week which means
you wear the same wrist band and get the same benefits as a timeshare
owner. With the voucher you can reserve rooms in the members area of
the resort which is the closet to the dive operation, members only
check in area, eat at the members only restaurant, for diving you get
a discount and they guarentee you a spot on a boat (if you walk in in
the morning and say you want to dive they can't tell you the boats are
full, they have to make a spot for you) swim in the members only pool,
drink at the members only bars, and of course you get the members only
room rates. The voucher includes a standard room in the price. You
then can add the all inclusive plan and upgrade your room if you want
to. It costs $20 per adult per nite to up to a junior suite that books
for $275 a night.
His site is http://www.reefclubresort.com/specials.htm does a great
job of explaining it. We figured we'd go back so I bought some
directly from the resort. The trick was I had to buy 20 of them. I
want to get rid of 10 or so of them for $150. I can't use 20. They are
good for 10 years.
Bottom line was it cost us $1210 including the voucher at 225 for
both of us not PP for 7 nites with all meals and drinks in a huge
suite with an L deck with our own hot tub overlooking the pool and
beach.
If you want to buy an of these just let me know or you can get them
from him.

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 11:48:19 -0500, "superfly" <supe...@mebtel.net>

Bill

Nov 26, 2006, 12:38:40 PM11/26/06
Forgot to say on a previous trip we dove with Aqua Safari and they
were great.

Aqua World on the other hand is the worst dive op I have ever
encountered and I have been diving a long time.

wrote:

>can anyone help with cozumel dives sites/operators and web site advice.

Reef Fish

Nov 26, 2006, 4:09:19 PM11/26/06

Bill wrote:
> Forgot to say on a previous trip we dove with Aqua Safari and they
> were great.

Aqua Safari is the WORST of about 25 different dive shops I've
dived with, in Cozumel. It was the ONLY shop in Cozumel who
ever refused to allow me to dive because I had filled their form
checking (truthfully) that I was diabetic AND that I already had
over 500 dives in Cozumel at that time (in the early 1990s).

Even for an absolute beginner, there are better dive shops in
Cozumel than Aqua Safari.

-- Reef Fish Bob.

Reef Fish

Nov 26, 2006, 4:37:07 PM11/26/06
I am reading this thread for the first time, only because of the post
by Bill, and couldn't help but noticed Jer's cluelessness (since
he is the one who ALWAYS made NOISE about everything I post
about Cozumel!

Jer is the posting ID for "Jerk" for short, I am sure, based on his
LONG history of LACK of experience and LACK of information
about Cozumel, yet always eager to put in his 1/2 peso's worth
uninformed opinion.

Jer wrote:
> Greg Mossman wrote:
> > "Dillon Pyron" <dmpyron...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> >

> >> Loved Scuba Club. < snip> Nitrox was about $3 a tank.

Dillon later confirmed the "50 pesos" figure, which in 2006, is worth
about $5 instead of $3:

DP> I just checked my receipts. Make that 50 pesos a tank.
DP> Maybe it's the Mexican oxygen.

It is the Mexican oxygen alright. ALL dive shops in Mexico have
the same fill from the one single source in Cozumel! :-) You
should have known THAT! Besides, if you weren't sure, didn't
you know the FIRST RULE of Nitrox diving is to ALWAYS check
the O2 percent in the tank yourself?

At any rate, Scuba Club must have charged you enough on
their DIVES, to provide you the Nitrox which should cost THEM
at about $3 a tank. But $5 (or 50 pesos) is a great price for
diving a tank of nitrox (EAN32 and EAN36 cost the same) in
Cozumel. Most shops charge $8 or more a tank there.

> > $3 a tank? That sounds cheap. Even on liveaboards or dive resorts with
> > "unlimited" packages for $100, you'd still have to do over 30 dives to get
> > the price down that low.

Greg was right about his arithmetic. :-) But $3 a tank IS
cheap, but still enough for a high volume shop in Coz to
make a buck on it. :-)

> > I'll be diving with Ed Robinson's again in December. They want $15 a tank.

Because they either KNEW or could tell "Jer" is the biggest
sucker in Cozumel diving! LOL. A completely uninformed
and loudmouth Jerk, whose only tune is his UNINFORMED
crusade against cruise ships, not realizing that they did NOT
affect any of the diving or dive environment in nearly 100% of
the dive sites in Cozumel!

> Scuba Club's nitrox fee will soon be raised to a competitive rate the
> day after they read this.
>
> --
> jer

What make you think anyone in Scuba Club reads any of this?
Besides, "Jer", just by his clueless LOOK will command a
price of at least $10 a tank for nitrox anywhere he dives in
Cozumel. Are you even Nitrox certified? LOL. In Cozumel
you can probably dive with EAN without any certification.

On second thought, there isn't even a shop in Cozumel named
"Ed Robinson"! Jer was probably referring to "Ed Robinson"
of Maui, and didn't realize that comparing the dive cost in
Hawaii and that of Cozumel is made only by someone as
CLUELESS as he is.

-- Reef Fish Bob.

Bill

Nov 26, 2006, 7:52:10 PM11/26/06
Time just rolls on. I realize now that I think about it, that it has
been about 15 years since I dove with them. We had a divemaster named
Nacho that was great. 15 years is a long time so things may have
changed with them.

On 26 Nov 2006 13:09:19 -0800, "Reef Fish"

Dan Bracuk

Nov 26, 2006, 8:17:34 PM11/26/06
Bill <nosp...@cox.net> pounded away at his keyboard resulting in:
:Time just rolls on. I realize now that I think about it, that it has

:been about 15 years since I dove with them. We had a divemaster named
:Nacho that was great. 15 years is a long time so things may have
:changed with them.

What about Aqua World? How long ago was that and what did you not
like about them?

Dan Bracuk
If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure.

Reef Fish

Nov 26, 2006, 10:39:45 PM11/26/06

Dan Bracuk wrote:
> Bill <nosp...@cox.net> pounded away at his keyboard resulting in:
> :Time just rolls on. I realize now that I think about it, that it has
> :been about 15 years since I dove with them. We had a divemaster named
> :Nacho that was great. 15 years is a long time so things may have
> :changed with them.
>
> What about Aqua World? How long ago was that and what did you not
> like about them?

Good question about what he didn't like about Aqua World if he liked
Aqua Safari (I don't think they are any different 15 years ago as they
are today).

Aqua World is the outfit from Cancun that take divers from Cancun
directly to Dive boat(s) waiting near the Palancar Reefs. It's a
fairly
recent phenomenon.

-- Reef Fish Bob.

Reef Fish

Nov 26, 2006, 10:56:16 PM11/26/06

Correction. What I said about "Jer" is correct, but the quote was
by Greg Mossman. :-) So, Greg was pretty clueless about Nitrox
diving in Cozumel, to compare it with Hawaiian cost. ;-) Greg's
been diving much more elsewhere than in Coz. Still holds the
"Anti-Aldora Idiot" title. :-) (Bestowed by me, in fairness to
Aldora Idiot given to Ron Lee and a couple others. Greg's dissing
of Aldora was completely unfair on his first dive ever in Cozumel.

-- Reef Fish.

> > Scuba Club's nitrox fee will soon be raised to a competitive rate the
> > day after they read this.
> >
> > --
> > jer
>
> What make you think anyone in Scuba Club reads any of this?

Okay. Only the above line applied to Jer.

> Besides, "Jer", just by his clueless LOOK will command a
> price of at least $10 a tank for nitrox anywhere he dives in
> Cozumel. Are you even Nitrox certified? LOL. In Cozumel
> you can probably dive with EAN without any certification.

The above would be my image when Jer dives in Coz., if he
is certified at all to dive Nitrox.

> On second thought, there isn't even a shop in Cozumel named
> "Ed Robinson"! Jer was probably referring to "Ed Robinson"
> of Maui, and didn't realize that comparing the dive cost in
> Hawaii and that of Cozumel is made only by someone as
> CLUELESS as he is.

That comment would have to apply to Greg.

> -- Reef Fish Bob.

Greg Mossman

Nov 28, 2006, 12:38:06 AM11/28/06
"Reef Fish" <large_nass...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> Greg was right about his arithmetic. :-) But $3 a tank IS
>> cheap, but still enough for a high volume shop in Coz to
>> make a buck on it. :-)

> Correction. What I said about "Jer" is correct, but the quote was

> by Greg Mossman. :-) So, Greg was pretty clueless about Nitrox
> diving in Cozumel, to compare it with Hawaiian cost. ;-) Greg's
> been diving much more elsewhere than in Coz. Still holds the
> "Anti-Aldora Idiot" title. :-) (Bestowed by me, in fairness to
> Aldora Idiot given to Ron Lee and a couple others. Greg's dissing
> of Aldora was completely unfair on his first dive ever in Cozumel.

>> On second thought, there isn't even a shop in Cozumel named

>> "Ed Robinson"! Jer was probably referring to "Ed Robinson"
>> of Maui, and didn't realize that comparing the dive cost in
>> Hawaii and that of Cozumel is made only by someone as
>> CLUELESS as he is.
>
> That comment would have to apply to Greg.

What's wrong with making a comparison to show two extremes? It's done all
the time.

-hh

Nov 28, 2006, 8:17:53 AM11/28/06

Greg Mossman wrote:

> What's wrong with making a comparison to show two extremes? It's done all
> the time.

http://tinyurl.com/y5324p

http://tinyurl.com/y2uv44

Reef Fish

Nov 28, 2006, 1:49:43 PM11/28/06

Nothing, if it was clear what was intended. Thinking it was coming
from Jer, I really thought he was referring to some Ed Robinson in
Cozumel.

Ed Robinson in Maui is probably not even the extreme, by the standards
of many locations in which I have dived. E.g., $80 - $100 for a ONE
TANK dive in Bora Bora is not uncommon, and I haven't even checked
to see if Nitrox is available there. Another 20 or 30 bucks for nitrox
wouldn't be surprising, but those are hardly appropriate to compare to
anything in Cozumel. I had given going market price, the dive-shop
cost, and what are good deals or bad deals in Cozumel EAN dives --
and that's what divers in COZUMEL would find must useful -- I could
have gotten a tank of nitrox to dive at Fairbanks (or North Pole,
Alaska)
when it was minus 50 degrees, and I suspect the cost of the one-tank
of EAN32 could be prohibitive. :-)

-- Reef Fish Bob.

Greg Mossman

Nov 28, 2006, 3:17:03 PM11/28/06

> Ed Robinson in Maui is probably not even the extreme, by the standards
> of many locations in which I have dived. E.g., $80 - $100 for a ONE
> TANK dive in Bora Bora is not uncommon, and I haven't even checked
> to see if Nitrox is available there. Another 20 or 30 bucks for nitrox
> wouldn't be surprising, but those are hardly appropriate to compare to
> anything in Cozumel.

French Polynesia may be even more expensive than Hawaii, especially due to
the annoying European habit of doing 1-tank dive trips. Ed Robinson's
doesn't even offer a 1-tank trip. Their basic 2-tank trip is $120. With
nitrox, that comes to $150.

According to www.topdive.com, "NITROX dives are available Moorea, Bora Bora
and Rangiroa at no extra cost". Two Bora Bora dives at the 1-tank rate
would come to (2 x 63 Euros)= 126 Euros. At the current exchange rate, 126
Euros = $166.19. So two nitrox dives indeed cost more in Bora Bora, but
this is primarily due to the European silliness of doing one dive at a time.
Also, the exchange rates obviously fluctuate. A month ago, 126 Euros =
$157.50. Close.

Since it's the Chinese that are causing the dollar to drop against the Euro,
I blame you for skewing my nitrox comparison, and will be cursing you when I
travel to Amsterdam in December unless you buy me another free drink or the
exchange rate improves. What are your holiday plans?

Reef Fish

Nov 29, 2006, 1:57:34 AM11/29/06

Greg Mossman wrote:
> "Reef Fish" <large_nass...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> > Ed Robinson in Maui is probably not even the extreme, by the standards
> > of many locations in which I have dived. E.g., $80 - $100 for a ONE
> > TANK dive in Bora Bora is not uncommon, and I haven't even checked
> > to see if Nitrox is available there. Another 20 or 30 bucks for nitrox
> > wouldn't be surprising, but those are hardly appropriate to compare to
> > anything in Cozumel.
>
> French Polynesia may be even more expensive than Hawaii, especially due to
> the annoying European habit of doing 1-tank dive trips. Ed Robinson's
> doesn't even offer a 1-tank trip. Their basic 2-tank trip is $120. With
> nitrox, that comes to $150.
>
> According to www.topdive.com, "NITROX dives are available Moorea, Bora Bora
> and Rangiroa at no extra cost".

That's news for me for Bora Bora. It must be newer than earlier this
year. :-)

> Two Bora Bora dives at the 1-tank rate
> would come to (2 x 63 Euros)= 126 Euros.

I wonder why you suddenly used Euros. That comes to about $80 a tank.
That was what they were charging ME, but the cruiseship was charging
more like $98 for a 1 tank. :-) They did include ALL equipment,
gears,
wetsuit and the whole kitchen sink; but too bad for those who brought
their own gear.

> At the current exchange rate, 126 Euros = $166.19.

Not bad. $166,326 NOW, which is higher than the all time low rate on
the USD against the Euro. :)

> So two nitrox dives indeed cost more in Bora Bora, but
> this is primarily due to the European silliness of doing one dive at a time.
> Also, the exchange rates obviously fluctuate. A month ago, 126 Euros =
> $157.50. Close.

Yup. The Euro will continue to rise. It hadn't been that long since
I had
a bunch of Euros exchanging about EVEN against the USD.

The European style of 1 tank is not quite silliness. I seldom do 2
tanks
at the FP even when there is plentyof time for 2, because there's not
that much variety for the 2nd tank and the 1st is STEEP enough. :)
So, I do my 2 tanks over 2 cruises. <G> Have done over 6 tanks
in Bora Bora now. Excellent on every tank.

> Since it's the Chinese that are causing the dollar to drop against the Euro,
> I blame you for skewing my nitrox comparison, and will be cursing you when I
> travel to Amsterdam in December unless you buy me another free drink or the
> exchange rate improves. What are your holiday plans?

What did the Chinese do? It's the Texan who is running this joint
that's
causing the USD to drop, and keep dropping, with no bottom in sight.
Keep sending troops to Iraq and keep messing with OTHER countries
when he can't fix his own is going to send to USD on a steep spiral
plunge, I am afraid.

I could have invited you to drinks at the Dragonair lounge in HONG KONG
-- when I flew CO HKG in Business First, not realizing that Hong
Kong does not even have a Continental President's Club! We flew
to Shanghai on Dragonair -- for about $300 USD roundtrip from HKG.
Nice airline that has flights from Hong Kong to Shanghai on an
hourly basis daily. I thought it would be like the puddle hoopers
between Cancun and Cozumel, but they were the BIG planes, 6
seats across in coach and plenty of First and Business First seats,
nearly FULL on each flight!

So far, my year end travel plans are still up in the air, but not yet
in the air. :-) I can always save you the Cognac Covoissier I
get for freebies.

So, what's for 2007 after your Ed Robinson in Maui? Any plans
for the Mardi Gras in Cozumel or some other more exotic Pacific
joints?

-- Reef Fish Bob.

Bill

Nov 29, 2006, 6:06:12 PM11/29/06
This was about 7 years ago
They had a site schedule Mon here, Tues here, etc with no regard to
weather or customers wishes.
Told us one DM leads one brings up the rear every dive. I fall behing
and catch up as I take pics. Can't find the rear DM, I was afraid
something happened to him. Back on board he had decided he didn't feel
like diving.
Worst - unsafe - took small boat to Devils Throat with 4 other divers
who did not have computers, they never asked them their profile ie
what did you dive this week, told them that they would all dive off
the DM computer. I had cleared- spent previous day off diving. WHen we
exit , I think about 125 ft, they stay there going along, I come up a
bit since there was nothing to see, now we start crossing sand and I
come up more, I'm about 40 ft above them and getting real low on
bottom time maybe 2 minutes left, when they finally head up, back on
boat DM computer alarming like crazy which I mentioned, He said no
problem, next dive will be shallow so everyone can decompress on it (
not good)
ALso had regulater with computer stolen from the locked locker they
supplied me with and they would accept no responsibilty or even help
at all.
THere's more but I'm no typist.

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 20:17:34 -0500, Dan Bracuk <bra...@pathcom.com>

Bill

Nov 29, 2006, 6:08:37 PM11/29/06
Aqua World was the on site OP at the hotel we stayed at back then.
Something Sol I think- I believe it has since changed names. It was
acroos the street from the water and had a tunnel under the road to
the beach.

On 26 Nov 2006 19:39:45 -0800, "Reef Fish"

Reef Fish

Nov 29, 2006, 9:16:38 PM11/29/06

Bill wrote:
> Aqua World was the on site OP at the hotel we stayed at back then.
> Something Sol I think-

Sounds right. May be Playa del Sol. Our boat used to take surface
interval at that public pier and one could buy ice cream and food
there.

Don't know what name it changed to, but it seemed they stopped letting
boats stop there, and there were beaches around where boats could
take their SI.

Dillon Pyron

Nov 30, 2006, 5:43:36 PM11/30/06
Thus spake "Reef Fish" <large_nass...@yahoo.com> :

>> Greg Mossman wrote:
>> > "Dillon Pyron" <dmpyron...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

>Dillon later confirmed the "50 pesos" figure, which in 2006, is worth
>about $5 instead of $3:
>
>DP> I just checked my receipts. Make that 50 pesos a tank.
>DP> Maybe it's the Mexican oxygen.
>
>It is the Mexican oxygen alright. ALL dive shops in Mexico have
>the same fill from the one single source in Cozumel! :-) You
>should have known THAT! Besides, if you weren't sure, didn't
>you know the FIRST RULE of Nitrox diving is to ALWAYS check
>the O2 percent in the tank yourself?

Of course I did. With both their analyzer (required) and mine.

Had to order nitrox by 5 pm the day before. All their fills came from
the same place, they didn't have their own compressor on site, as far
as I could tell. The onsite facilities were provided by Scuba
Cozumel. They had a small shop across the street.

Dillon Pyron

Nov 30, 2006, 5:48:39 PM11/30/06
Thus spake Bill <nosp...@cox.net> :

>Deb & I went to the Reef Club in Cozumel,
>http://www.reefclubcozumel.com/cms, We loved the place. We are going
>back this april. We dove with Sand Dollar Sports the on site
>operator. They were very good and safe. I was impressed that every
>boat had a tower on it. They said they had them to make it easier to
>spot divers in the water.

I've dived with them twice, both off cruise ships. It must be the
level of clientle, but I was singularly unimpressed with them. Even
though I was on a boat with supposedly advanced divers (everybody had
a significant number of dives under their belt and were all
experienced with Cozumel), the dives were rather meek. We did Santa
Rosa, but the profile was absurd.

Maybe diving from the resort gets you a different level of "respect".