Diving the Caribbean

JamesHess89

Feb 19, 2002, 8:52:57 PM2/19/02
I have never been to a Caribbean island. I am a certified diver, my wife will
only snorkel. I prefer to keep my dive under 100 feet. I am looking for
suggestions on a Caribbean island that will accommodate both of us

Jeanne Brynie

Feb 20, 2002, 12:05:03 AM2/20/02
>I have never been to a Caribbean island. I am a certified diver, my wife will
>only snorkel. I prefer to keep my dive under 100 feet. I am looking for
>suggestions on a Caribbean island that will accommodate both of us

I would say Grand Cayman would fit the bill. There are lots of places where
you can do shore dives and your wife could snorkle above you. The topside
activities are abundant there too. As well as shopping!

"*^*" Jeanne "*^*"

Mike_Scollan

Feb 20, 2002, 8:03:44 AM2/20/02
james...@aol.com (JamesHess89) wrote in message news:<20020219205257...@mb-da.aol.com>...

> I have never been to a Caribbean island. I am a certified diver, my wife will
> only snorkel. I prefer to keep my dive under 100 feet. I am looking for
> suggestions on a Caribbean island that will accommodate both of us

Only ever been to Tobago in the Carribean, so can't comment on others.
But Tobago was good. Not much nightlife but resteraunts are
plentiful, cheap and offer live entertainment. Diving was good and
plenty of snorkling too.

Newsgroups Earthlink

Feb 20, 2002, 10:25:04 AM2/20/02
Hi James,
Have you considered an all-inclusive crewed yacht charter on a boat that is
dive oriented? This way you can visit many dive sites on various islands
under the expert guidance of a dive professional with local knowledge and
you only have to unpack once! Plus there are also other activities for you:
waterskiing, kayaking, snorkelling, laying in the hammock with a cool
cocktail after your dive, hiking, limin', etc.
Visit: www.http://www.paradiseconnections.com/diving.html (as you are an AOL
user, you may have to cut and paste the address into your browser).

Check it out and feel free to give us a call! We live in the islands...

Sheila & Bob
Paradise Connections Yacht Charters
St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands
www.paradiseconnections.com
www.prestigecharteryachts.com

"JamesHess89" <james...@aol.com> wrote in message
> [...]

david & donna

Feb 20, 2002, 10:26:38 AM2/20/02
Rodale's has a section on rating diving operations, you may get some help
there. Most dive boats have a weekly posted schedule as to where they are
going each day, and you simply pick the trip that meets your needs
(visibility, depth, marine life, wrecks, current, drift or anchored, day or
night). The Bahamas has some good diving above 100, but I personally haven't
been anywhere else, other than the Keys and Cozumel.

Daniel Kessler

Feb 20, 2002, 5:49:46 PM2/20/02
Yes, I've dived both. Tobago had more currents than Grand Cayman. ...So the person snorkeling and hovering
above might be carried away by currents more readily.

r-s92098

Feb 20, 2002, 7:51:39 PM2/20/02
Just got back from Grand Cayman. The diving was not very good due to the
damage from hurricane Michelle last fall. Most of the sponges & sea fans
are gone....what's left are small. We did see some turtles & a golden
spotted eagle ray at "Jacks Dax" dive site. Boat dives are generally better
& deep dives also....less damage from Michelle. A good snorkel/dive site is
Eden Rock & Devil's Grotto. There are swim throughs there. All in all we
won't be going back...not when there's places like Bonaire to dive.

Jim Smith

Feb 20, 2002, 8:15:18 PM2/20/02
Go to Bonaire

Fishbre396

Feb 20, 2002, 11:32:07 PM2/20/02
In article <vwXc8.3622$Ep1.1...@news2.east.cox.net>, "r-s92098"
<r-s9...@cox.net> writes:

>Just got back from Grand Cayman. The diving was not very good due to the
>damage from hurricane Michelle last fall. Most of the sponges & sea fans
>are gone....what's left are small.

It's been that way for a number of years . . .I wouldn't blame it on the most
recent hurricane (although, many would like to do just that . . .)

Joe English

Feb 21, 2002, 7:08:46 PM2/21/02
Cozumel, Gand Cayman, belize

BluesDivr

Feb 21, 2002, 11:17:59 PM2/21/02

Hi James -

My recommendation would be Bonaire. There is plenty of mid-depth (40 - 60 ft)
diving there. Its all shore diving, and there are things to see in the
shallows too. You and your wife can rent a little Suzuki, get some tanks for
you, and then go wherever you choose. You can dive and she can snorkel off the
same beach.

Let me know what what you decide and also how it goes.

- David -

David Southerland

Feb 22, 2002, 1:05:14 PM2/22/02
I agree with Bonaire - not a bad choice - Also look into Turks & Cacios
Islands...

Tumbleweed

Feb 23, 2002, 3:37:30 PM2/23/02

"Mike_Scollan" <mikes...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Just come back from there, wasnt too impressed with the visibility.
Something to do with rain in venezuela apparently. I dont know if its a
seasonal thing? Enjoyed Tobago nevertheless. Turks and Caicos is looking
good in reviews, though I've never been there but plan to now there are
direct flights from the UK.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)

Robert "Doc" Adelman

Feb 23, 2002, 6:53:33 PM2/23/02
Tobago reminds me of the story of two blind men touching and describing
an elephant...

Tobago can be many things... On the South end near the airport it is a
developed civilized area with grocery stores and dive ops and discos.
The snorkeling is pretty good, may I suggest Carolyn at Sunsplash Scuba?

www.walax.com/sunsplashscuba.htm or search Google

The northern end is for experienced drift divers. The currents are a
thrill and this is your best chance to see a Manta. It is very rural and
pleasantly tribal. Everybody seems to be quite happy with whatever the
day brings.

See our April 2001 trip report at

http//www.turq.com/trips/trinidad5.html

Tumbleweed wrote:
> "Mike_Scollan" <mikes...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > > I have never been to a Caribbean island. I am a certified diver, my wife
> will
> > > only snorkel. I prefer to keep my dive under 100 feet. I am looking for
> > > suggestions on a Caribbean island that will accommodate both of us

I would mention Roatan's CoCo View which not only is a well regarded
dive resort but is fully occupied and booked for 3 weeks each year by
groups such as Joel Solomon's "Sea For Yourself" Snorkel tours. CoCo
View's "front yard", literaly at the door to your over-the-reef
cabana... is an easy and bountiful snorkel... even for night swims!
Check Google for Sea For Yourself and maybe you could dive while your
wife gets the snorkel naturalist education of a lifetime.

> > Only ever been to Tobago in the Carribean, so can't comment on others.
> > But Tobago was good. Not much nightlife but resteraunts are
> > plentiful, cheap and offer live entertainment. Diving was good and
> > plenty of snorkling too.
>
> Just come back from there, wasnt too impressed with the visibility.
> Something to do with rain in venezuela apparently. I dont know if its a
> seasonal thing?

Yes, It follows the hurricane season, but suffice to say the rains
have not abated.

Enjoyed Tobago nevertheless. Turks and Caicos is looking
> good in reviews, though I've never been there but plan to now there are
> direct flights from the UK.
>
> --
> Tumbleweed
>
> Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)

--
Doc _(:)0

"I'm hiding in Honduras, I'm a desperate man,
Send Lawyers, Guns & Money...The sh*t has hit the fan"
-Warren Zevon

Tumbleweed

Feb 24, 2002, 6:43:26 AM2/24/02
"Robert "Doc" Adelman" <lawyers-g...@world-NOSPAM-net.att.net> wrote
in message news:3C782EB8...@world-NOSPAM-net.att.net...

> Tobago reminds me of the story of two blind men touching and describing
> an elephant...
>
> Tobago can be many things... On the South end near the airport it is a
> developed civilized area with grocery stores and dive ops and discos.
> The snorkeling is pretty good, may I suggest Carolyn at Sunsplash Scuba?
>
> www.walax.com/sunsplashscuba.htm or search Google
>
> The northern end is for experienced drift divers. The currents are a
> thrill and this is your best chance to see a Manta. It is very rural and
> pleasantly tribal. Everybody seems to be quite happy with whatever the
> day brings.
>
> See our April 2001 trip report at
>
> http//www.turq.com/trips/trinidad5.html

Nice. Some roads were apparently washed out again in December 2001 but are
being fixed now, we could go all round the island in feb, with just one stop
while a bulldozer cleared a path for us during road reconstruction!
My bro has also dived with Redman and recommends him, in the crown point
area I found http://www.rseadivers.com/ good value and safe, small trips, 4
or 5 divers and the DM good at spotting stuff to look at (somewhat of a
challenge in the poorish vis).