Training Year Ending 2004

SwStudio

Dec 25, 2004, 4:42:53 PM12/25/04
Greetings, rec.runners!

This marks the third time I have had the pleasure to post the
season-ending Training Year thread. As always, thanks to
everyone who takes part in both this and the weekly verson.

Please join in and submit any information you have compiled
regarding your year. You don't have to answer every question.
Feel free to add any other info you'd like. For fun and reference,
here are links to the past two years:

2002 - http://makeashorterlink.com/?B20446A1A
2003 - http://makeashorterlink.com/?S21455A1A

Have a great & injury-free new year everyone!!!

1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?
2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?
3. What was your longest run?
4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?
5. What were your best and worst race performances?
6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?
7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?
8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?
9. What are your goals for 2004?
10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON)
www.allfalldown.org

SwStudio

Dec 25, 2004, 4:49:19 PM12/25/04
"SwStudio" <shhhh_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> 8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?
> 9. What are your goals for 2004?

Obviously both of those years should be shifted forward one.
Sorry about that. Blame the evils of cut-and-paste. ;-|

steve common

Dec 25, 2004, 6:14:04 PM12/25/04
"SwStudio" <shhhh_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

2250km / 1400 miles - pretty much same as last year

>2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

High 209km / 130 miles, Low 0k (9 times!)

>3. What was your longest run?

103km / 64 miles - Toulouse -> Carcassone (abandon during 240k race)

>4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

13 races, from 240km / 149 miles, down to 7.5km / 4.7miles

>5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Best, 73rd place / 600 in the Sand Marathon.
Worst, 42'+ in a 10k which I'd done in 36'30 the previous time.

>6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

Running through the crowds in the casbah of Mahmid El Rozlane. Seemed
the whole town was out to see the Ahansal brothers coming through during
the long 76k stage of the Sand Marathon and I was just 1 minute ahead of
them at that point (49k) - BTW they started 3 hours after me :-)

>7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

Sand storm during Sand Marathon with 30°C at 9am.

>8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?

- Finish Sand marathon = Done
- Finish Integrale de Riquet (240km in one stage within 34h) = Abandoned
- Sub 3h marathon = not attempted - Sand Marathon & Integrale were too
much already

>9. What are your goals for 2004?

Lose at least 4 kilos and get my back fixed.
Get down to 3h marathon form again.
Maybe finish that 240k race.

Tim Downie

Dec 25, 2004, 7:15:33 PM12/25/04
SwStudio wrote:

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

1884 miles so far.

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

Highest 58, lowest 5 (following campylobacter food poisoning)

> 3. What was your longest run?

43 miles (Devil O' the Highlands)

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

17 + 9 club 5k time trials

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Best (in terms of running closest to my potential) was probably my March 1/2
marathon in Inverness (1:31). Best (as in "most fun") was the 43 miler.

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

As above

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

Probably during a 25 mile trial training run last January when we ran
through driving sleet for most of the distance.

> 8. What were your goals for 2004?

Run faster, run farther.

> Did you achieve them?

Did better on the farther than the faster.

> 9. What are your goals for 2004?

As above.

> 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

Nope.

Tim

Tony

Dec 25, 2004, 11:37:07 PM12/25/04
SwStudio wrote in message ...
>Greetings, rec.runners!

>Have a great & injury-free new year everyone!!!

Thanks David. And thanks to the group for good debate and information.

>1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

Don't count miles/km, about 370 hours of biking, running and hiking this
year.

>2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

About 35m and 0m. Better stated for me, The highest was 13 hours of
cross-training, and the lowest was about 3 hours of walking only.

>3. What was your longest run?

50k

>4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

Three: 50k, 10m and marathon

>5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Best was 50k trail in 5:39, which was good for me. Worst was marathon in
3:59:45 - made my basic goal but was just a very bad race in many respects
and it destroyed my morale for weeks.

>6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

Yea, no question it was a 27 mile training run on hiking trails in the
western catskills.

>7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

Cycling last winter in 5f temp with 30 knot winds.

>8. What were your goals for 2004? Did you achieve them?

A respectible 50k performance. Yes I achieved my goal.

>9. What are your goals for 2005?

TBD.

>10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

no.

-Tony

Dan Stumpus

Dec 26, 2004, 1:13:06 AM12/26/04

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

About 3450 miles.

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

86 & 46 miles.

> 3. What was your longest run?

Two 50 mile races. Longest training run was a 28 miler.

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

6 ultras, including two 50 milers. And three 10k's.

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Best: Bulldog 50k, where I would have finished in the top 10 if I hadn't
run an extra 5 miles due to a sabotaged course marker. After I got turned
around, I blew by most of the slower folk who got ahead of me all the way to
the end (passing about 100 people).

Worst: Avalon 50 miler where I ran in debilitating pain for 20 miles.
Still got 8th overall, but should have run much faster.

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

Each ultra I did was a real adventure, and a peak experience.

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

Just some rain turned hail turned snow as I climbed Mt. Wilson above L.A. I
think I only ran in rain two or three times this year. It's pretty tough
out here... :-)
Also ran through a dust devil, that was a treat.

> 8. What were your goals for 2004? Did you achieve them?

Try to run to my potential. Race more, and don't sweat trying to do the
perfect 15 week buildup. Note that these two goals are mutually
exclusive... I achieved the second.

> 9. What are your goals for 2004?

Get down to peak race weight of 140#. This is very tough now that I'm on
the far side of 50. Run shorter intervals on the track to try and resurrect
some remnants of my former speed.

> 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

"Trample the weak, hurtle the dead" (not that I'd do any such thing...)
"My sport is your sport's punishment"
"Pride lasts longer than pain"

Brad...@yahoo.com

Dec 26, 2004, 3:29:15 AM12/26/04
Now to give an end of running year response from a mere mortal instead
of ya'll rockstars...

1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

>From my best calculations I ran between 360-380 miles since starting to
run sometime in March. So basically in 8 months I ran what Donovan and
class run in a month...

2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

20.75 and 0 (bunch of zero weeks for most of the fall semester)

3. What was your longest run?

6 miles

4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

1 5K

5. What were your best and worst race performances?

NA

6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

The first time I ever ran 5 miles was fairly awesome. It was
definitely the longest I had ever run up to that point in my life.

I meant to do my run on a Sunday but I didn't get it in. So I decided
that I would run on Monday morning before work. I left myself plenty
of time to complete the run on a trail set away from the roads, but I
didn't take a watch.

All of a sudden, the sun is up, it's bright out and there are all these
cars driving past me. I thought I had missed a turn on my
pre-determined route and was now stuck running until I could find a
cross street I knew.

I was so relieved when I finally saw the road that I was supposed to
take home. I was not so relieved when I realized that my last two
miles were straight into the blinding, glaring sun. I actually made it
home quicker than I expected - a bonus.

7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

Recent 8ºF morning with blowing snow was pretty amazing...

8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?

One goal was to build up to running 20 miles per week, which I did.
Another part of that goal was to maintain that mileage after school
started back up. I did not make that goal either semester.
My other goal was to remain injury free, which I have done. So here's
my thanks to the folks that advised the 10% increase when building up
mileage...I think that's a huge part of my ability to remain injury
free...

9. What are your goals for 2004?

Life is rather uncertain right now. I'm trying to gauge how much time
student teaching is going to take this coming spring. If it's less
than the full-time job/full-time student combo, I'd really like to run
the Fort Collins half marathon in May.

I'm just going to have to wait and see how my life shakes out over the
next couple of weeks.

10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

Nope...just thanks to everyone for the good advice and amazing
inspiration...

np426z

Dec 26, 2004, 6:17:09 AM12/26/04

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

Not as many as I should have, but more than I thought I would.

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

Dunno. Weeks don't matter. Moments do.

> 3. What was your longest run?

I'm still in it; it's my life.

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

A couple, and *they* chose *me*.

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Worst? Anything I didn't win. Best? Hopefully, those races still to
come.

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

No.

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

Rain. I ran in the rain. The ONLY reason I ran in the rain was who I was
with at the time. And, yunno, I didn't care too hoots 'bout the rain that
day :-)

> 8. What were your goals for 2004? Did you achieve them?

I prefer to leave the door open to possibility. Setting goals is too
constraining.

> 9. What are your goals for 2005?

Not telling you. Besides, it's not so much a goal as a dream. Though, as
Will noted, "dreams are the children of an idle brain".

> 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

No. But my favourite piece of writing is from the 'Oxford Handbook of
Clinical Medicine'. It's talking about death and goes;

"Death is Natures masterstroke, albeit a cruel one, because it allows
genotypes space and opportunity to try on new phenotypes... genes are not
really our genes. It is us who belong to them for a few decades. It is
one of Natures great insults that she should prefer to put all her eggs in
the basket of a defenceless, incompetent neonate rather than in the tried
and tested custody of our own superb minds. But as our neurofibrils begin
to tangle and the neonate walks towards a wisdom that eludes us, we are
forced to give Nature credit for her daring idea. Of course, Nature in her
careless way can get it wrong: people often die in the wrong order..."

It's good to remind yourself every now and then where you fit in the order
of things.

Roger.

Anthony

Dec 26, 2004, 7:58:24 AM12/26/04

> This marks the third time I have had the pleasure to post the
> season-ending Training Year thread. As always, thanks to
> everyone who takes part in both this and the weekly verson.

Thanks David for the continued maintenance. These threads as well as the
race reports
are what makes this group worthwhile for me ( and easier to follow...)

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

1300 km (808 miles). 2003 was over 2000 miles...

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

High was this week! (82 km - 51 miles). Lots of 00000 weeks.
4.5 months off injured. Managed a fair bit of pool running (yuk) and
biking. Have kept up some biking since returning to normal running
schedule. Trying to run as much as possible on more runner-friendly
surfaces like grass and dirt trails.

> 3. What was your longest run?

January marathon.

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

Jan marathon 2:57:17
Jul 5k 20:00
Oct 10k 40:28
Nov 10k 39:41
Dec 1/2M 1:26:34

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Best was the marathon.

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

The marathon.

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

Blessed with fairly uncrazy weather in this part of the world, but did
manage
1 bike ride in a quite severe storm in which my hands felt like they would
freeze over and
almost got blown off the bike.

> 8. What were your goals for 2004? Did you achieve them?

Sub-3 marathon.
> 9. What are your goals for 2005?
Sub-3 marathon (London/ April) and hopefully a PR.
PRs at other distances would also be nice!

Anthony. Jerusalem, Israel.

Dan

Dec 26, 2004, 9:54:27 AM12/26/04

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

1200 km

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

highest; 60 km and lowest; lots of 0 k

> 3. What was your longest run?

24 km

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

6 road races and 6 duathlons

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?

best; 17:35 for a 5 km 37:53 for a 10 km
worst; 18:45 for 5 km (in the beginning of season 2004)

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

Doing a 20 km run, along a river, at sunset, no wind

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

- 25 C last January

> 8. What were your goals for 2004? Did you achieve them?

my goal is always to remain injury free, almost achieve it in
04...
> 9. What are your goals for 2005?
NO INJURY , and if everything goes well, a PR in the marathon,
lower my 3H04 at Chicago...

Doug Freese

Dec 26, 2004, 10:29:21 AM12/26/04

"SwStudio" <shhhh_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Greetings, rec.runners!

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

No logs, no mileage - swag 2,300

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

130-10

> 3. What was your longest run?

Laurel Highlands 70 mile trail race.

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

5 - 2 50k's , 1 70 mile, 2 50 miles. An assortment of shorter races that
I don't count.

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Best - Vermont 50, it all clicked. Each of the others had some degree of
too hot, too fast, too much mud.

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

VT50

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

It was 2003. 40 of 50 miles in a torrential downpour and ankle deep
mud. One of the survivoers to beat the cut off.

> 8. What were your goals for 2004? Did you achieve them?

Stay healthy, smell the roses and run uninjured - yes!

> 9. What are your goals for 2005?
Turn 60 above the ground. Replace the 70 with a 100 and rock on in a
new age group.

> 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

Endurance mantra - "Find a pace that feels comfortable and then run
slower"

-DougF

Tom R Wheeler

Dec 26, 2004, 11:35:38 AM12/26/04
105 miles short of 7½ miles per day × 365 days.
most all done on a bike.
all outside real weather 4 winter,spring, summer fall winter.
2 bikes.
Break downs are many.
trash bikes replace parts allot of times.
in fact only real parts from starts are the frames. all near all been
change , like seats, wear out the most.
handle bar made into a seat bar. is the best. get a higher sit position.
because at about 1500 miles, your legs give out. evan if it would take 6
month. so a change of sit helps allot.

jock itch, ears rash, groin pulls and the old saddlers (-!-) soars. are
many.
ear rash or swimmers ear. and some ten to say whole year round.

helmets. well the list of spare parts for a year is really boring.

I know most think 7½ miles is not allot.
and some say. How can you do this?.
some and most in money. says. "YOUR NUTS".
no job,
no money.
no help in unemployment.
just live off streets.
and in a trailer in a place were all land.
when they are removing all trees and earth movers too.
old die,
rich want to be richer.
most government taken away.
A master plan. to turn whole land into money and homes.
They all call me nuts.
and I can not get a job, I have try till sick over 10 times fold.
they want my truck and this land.
in short: I fight till I die. because no were to go untill spring.and
live off streets.
105 miles or if I do monday to friday at 21.1 miles a day× 5.
I can have 7½ mile×365 or total of
2555 +182= 2736mils for year.
or now is 2632 miles for 2004
espn 25% off miller lite bottle cap stolen and replace with a sorry try
again one too.

this sig hasen't work in 113 weeks so don't bother,. I well be fine.
cheers:>) bikers are bad too.

numberus years painting. by the hour or job, you buy the paint and
supplies. Local of Ortonville Michigan. phone not in the book. e mail
only please. for work only or contact. ( a nature person. most likely be
outside.)
e-mail. Wheelerp...@webtv.net

Donovan Rebbechi

Dec 26, 2004, 1:32:45 PM12/26/04
On 2004-12-26, Doug Freese <dfr...@hvc.rr.com> wrote:

>> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?
> No logs, no mileage - swag 2,300

That's quite a lot, especially for an old guy. And you think I overdo it ? (-;

>> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?
> 130-10

(-;

>> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?
> 5 - 2 50k's , 1 70 mile, 2 50 miles. An assortment of shorter races that
> I don't count.

Snob (-;

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

Doug Freese

Dec 26, 2004, 2:36:20 PM12/26/04

"Donovan Rebbechi" <ab...@aol.com> wrote in message

> On 2004-12-26, Doug Freese <dfr...@hvc.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?
>> No logs, no mileage - swag 2,300
>
> That's quite a lot, especially for an old guy. And you think I overdo
> it ? (-;

I didn't start untill I was 40. I do more races than some 8-10 years
ago but my mileage has held fairly steady. OTOH, much like the energizer
bunny, I keep on ticking. 20 years of running and 15 years of ultras
helps me discern how much is too much. I have history. ;)

>>> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?
>> 5 - 2 50k's , 1 70 mile, 2 50 miles. An assortment of shorter races
>> that
>> I don't count.
>
> Snob (-;

Nah, just less important in the big picture.

-DF

FabulustRunner

Dec 26, 2004, 2:45:43 PM12/26/04
DF?

FabulustRunner

Dec 26, 2004, 2:47:00 PM12/26/04
>I didn't start untill I was 40.

Latent homosexuality?

>OTOH, much like the energizer
>bunny, I keep on ticking.

Then just explode.

WestEndGirl

Dec 26, 2004, 10:24:16 PM12/26/04
i know i haven't posted here in forever...went back to lurker mode, but
couldn't resist participating in this thread. thanks for posting it. :)

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

Only really started keeping track since the week ending May 23rd. Between
then and now, approx. 950 miles.

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

46 and 0 (normally averaged between 25 and 35 a week.)

> 3. What was your longest run?

16 miles

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

19 in total (15 NYRR races, 3 out-of-town and the Corporate Challenge)
1-1 mile
1-2.5 miles
4-5K
1-3.5 miles
4-4 miles
5-5 miles
2-10K
1-half marathon

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Well-what I've learned this year is that "best" and "worst" is all relative.

Best:
If we're going by time, I'd say my 6:33 mile and my 22:37 5K. However,
performance-wise, 3 races stand out:

NY Mini 10K (48:59)
First race associated with my running club, complete breakthrough race for
me, hitting a sub-8 pace after expecting a pace in the low-mid 8's.

Race to Deliver 4M (30:01)
Best race in Central Park since June, tight splits, got my revenge on the
West Side Hills

Joe Kleinerman 10K (47:38)
Couldn't have asked for a better race. Great pacing, negative splits, felt
much stronger at the end instead of crashing and burning (the last 1.2 miles
of the race were my fastest) Best race performance this year.

Worst:
Again-if we're going by time, I'd say my 35:56 4-miler and 25:47 5K.
However, there is one that has no contest for this prize...

Club Championships 5M (40:46)
Hopefully will forever be my PW for 5 miles. Hot, humid, muggy day, not
feeling 100%, knew by halfway that there was no way I was making a sub-8
pace and just switched my goal to hanging in there.

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

the Joe Kleinerman 10K-when else can a 10K PR feel like a fun run?

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

Training run in early September, when NYC was getting the tail end of
several of the hurricanes that hit Florida-this one the remnent of Frances
(I think.) A friend and I were trying to get in 4 miles one morning before
work. The very nice refreshing light rain that was at the beginning of the
run turned into a drenching downpour by the 2-mile point. We were soaked
already, so we decided to just hang in there and finish. (That was more
than I can say for the NYC subways that morning-the system was screwed up
due to the rain, I was stuck uptown for a few hours!)

> 8. What were your goals for 2004? Did you achieve them?

I achieved every last one.
Start racing, complete at least 9 NYRR races this year, run at least 1
half-marathon.

> 9. What are your goals for 2005?

In terms of racing in general:
Don't be so hard on myself-not every race has to be a PR.
Pick and choose my battles-I found I raced so much better in the fall that
way.
Get a few more half-marathons under my belt
Run first marathon (NYC)
Stay as injury free as possible while achieving those goals...

Time goals:
Sub-30 4 miler
Sub-37:30 5 miler
Sub-47 10K
Sub-1:50 half
(Sub-22 5K of lesser importance-I've found I don't like those as much as
10K's...)

> 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

Two of them...
Courtesy of one of my teammates-a marathon-inspirational quote:
"Speed is sex, distance is love."

And from another teammate, who told me this one the day before I ran my 5K
PR:
"Pain is temporary, pride is forever."

All in all, very pleased with my first year racing. Racked up some great
times, and even some team and AG hardware. Looking forward to 2005.

Happy holidays, and may 2005 be a PR year for you all...
-lara
:-)

Donovan Rebbechi

Dec 26, 2004, 11:14:20 PM12/26/04
On 2004-12-27, WestEndGirl <l...@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> i know i haven't posted here in forever...went back to lurker mode, but
> couldn't resist participating in this thread. thanks for posting it. :)

Good to see you back here. BTW, my fiancee just joined the flyers, so I
might show up at some flyer events some time.

BTW, do you do the flyers speed sessions ? What are they like ? And what do
they have in terms of range of ability ? Do they have many people at about
your pace, or maybe a little slower ?

> Well-what I've learned this year is that "best" and "worst" is all relative.

(-;

> Best:
> If we're going by time, I'd say my 6:33 mile and my 22:37 5K. However,
> performance-wise, 3 races stand out:
>
> NY Mini 10K (48:59)
> First race associated with my running club, complete breakthrough race for
> me, hitting a sub-8 pace after expecting a pace in the low-mid 8's.

The NY mini is a nice course-- the change (removing the west hills) makes it
faster. I wish they had a coed race on the same course. Conditions were
perfect this year.

[snip]

> Club Championships 5M (40:46)
> Hopefully will forever be my PW for 5 miles. Hot, humid, muggy day, not
> feeling 100%, knew by halfway that there was no way I was making a sub-8
> pace and just switched my goal to hanging in there.

Those were very tough conditions, and that's not a bad time considering what
it was like. I was about a minute or so off my PR that day. If it's hot, you
*will* run slower. The real lesson in that race is that summer is not the time
to be running PRs, or to be even thinking about running a fast time.
Likewise, there are other races like cross country where the courses are
difficult, so you will run a slower time. Just remember, as long as you're
not getting your butt kicked by people who'd normally be behind you, you're
doing OK.

> I achieved every last one.
> Start racing, complete at least 9 NYRR races this year, run at least 1
> half-marathon.

So you're in. Congratulations!

> Don't be so hard on myself-not every race has to be a PR.
> Pick and choose my battles-I found I raced so much better in the fall that
> way.

Yes! A way to apply both of the above principles -- use summer for training,
not for racing. Sure, do the team pointers. But don't worry if you can't run
a fast time. The longer you run for, the more the law of diminishing returns
kicks in, the more certain that the effect of seasonal variation will trump
the progress curve, resulting in slow summer race times. Likewise, summer
training is a thankless task, especially when you're doing marathon specific
things like tempo runs or long intervals -- heat slows down tempo runs a lot.

But trust your training, train hard, and when you do either Gretes Gallop or
the Staten Island Half (and you really should do one of these if you're doing
the NY marathon), you'll get to see all that summer training pay off.

> (Sub-22 5K of lesser importance-I've found I don't like those as much as
> 10K's...)

The 5k courses in central park are all pretty lousy. If you want a good 5k
race, you'll need to go somewhere else. I did one in Hoboken and one in Long
Island. Both were reasonably fast courses, but it was hot, so I didn't beat
my central park time.

Good luck in 2005.

FabulustRunner

Dec 27, 2004, 12:18:36 AM12/27/04
>From: "WestEndGirl" l...@nyc.rr.com
>Date: 12/26/2004 10:24 P.M. Eastern Standard Time

>i know i haven't posted here in forever...went back to lurker mode, but
>couldn't resist participating in this thread. thanks for posting it. :)

Hi Doug!

WestEndGirl

Dec 27, 2004, 12:36:04 AM12/27/04
> Good to see you back here. BTW, my fiancee just joined the flyers, so I
> might show up at some flyer events some time.

Hey thanks, Donovan!! And good to hear your fiancee joined the
Flyers-she'll have a blast. I'm usually around a lot of the events (and am
actually in the running for e-board next year!)

> BTW, do you do the flyers speed sessions ? What are they like ? And what
> do
> they have in terms of range of ability ? Do they have many people at about
> your pace, or maybe a little slower ?

I haven't formally participated in the Tuesday evening ones yet (the ones
that Toby Tanser coaches) but I am going to in '05. (I went to it last week
to try it out before committing for next year!) I was doing "informal"
speedwork sessions with another group of flyers (alternated between
intervals on the reservoir and hill repeats) But I've found it hard to get
out of slow mode at 6am. And I hate intervals-but love hill repeats. Go
figure :)
But getting back to the nighttime speedwork sessions-there are people at all
paces that do it (my pace, and faster and slower runners) And everyone
raves about it. I've seen a lot of entries in the Flyer PR zone this year
:)

> The NY mini is a nice course-- the change (removing the west hills) makes
> it
> faster. I wish they had a coed race on the same course. Conditions were
> perfect this year.

Plus the clockwise direction makes it easier, Cat Hill downhill,
etc...that's partially why my PR at the Kleinerman was such a
triumph-tougher course. But I do wish they had more races on the clockwise
loop.

> Those were very tough conditions, and that's not a bad time considering
> what
> it was like. I was about a minute or so off my PR that day. If it's hot,
> you
> *will* run slower. The real lesson in that race is that summer is not the
> time
> to be running PRs, or to be even thinking about running a fast time.
> Likewise, there are other races like cross country where the courses are
> difficult, so you will run a slower time. Just remember, as long as
> you're
> not getting your butt kicked by people who'd normally be behind you,
> you're
> doing OK.

Yeah, no one in my club PR'ed that day. And I even said earlier that day I
knew a PR was not in the cards. Wasn't feelin' it. Next year, might just
run it as a training run depending on scheduling and conditions-just there
to support the club for the points race. But yeah, I kinda fell in place
where I should have among our females. Little over 2 minutes off my upper 5
PR (I keep separate ones for lower and upper 5)

> So you're in. Congratulations!

Thank you!! I'm very excited already. I was living vicariously through my
teammates this year :) and will have over a year's worth of mental prep,
just need to have strong training and ideal conditions.

BTW-I was volunteering at mile 18 and I think I did see you run by. I did
read your report and good job this year. I know the conditions were not
ideal. As far as my team went, while there were a good share of PR's and
strong performances, there were a good share of disappointments too. Just
goes to show that the marathon distance really is a crapshoot and not to
take anything for granted.

> Yes! A way to apply both of the above principles -- use summer for
> training,
> not for racing. Sure, do the team pointers. But don't worry if you can't
> run
> a fast time. The longer you run for, the more the law of diminishing
> returns
> kicks in, the more certain that the effect of seasonal variation will
> trump
> the progress curve, resulting in slow summer race times. Likewise, summer
> training is a thankless task, especially when you're doing marathon
> specific
> things like tempo runs or long intervals -- heat slows down tempo runs a
> lot.

Well, hindsight says I did much too much racing this summer. My thinking
was "I'm not marathon training this year, might as well have my fun" and as
a result felt burnt out by the end of August. Limited myself to 2 races a
month for September-December and while not every race was a PR, had a good
share of performances that I was happy with.

> But trust your training, train hard, and when you do either Gretes Gallop
> or
> the Staten Island Half (and you really should do one of these if you're
> doing
> the NY marathon), you'll get to see all that summer training pay off.

I actually wanted to do Grete's this year but had a conflict with that
day-shame, conditions were perfect that day. The one half I did this year
was Manhattan-not ideal for my first half, but due to scheduling the only
one I could do this year. Despite the conditions, was very happy with my
time (1:52:55) Next year I want to attempt all 5 of the borough halfs-even
if I have to do Bronx and Manhattan as long runs instead of races. (And
hopefully SI will have both a correctly measured course and correct mile
markers next year!)

> The 5k courses in central park are all pretty lousy. If you want a good 5k
> race, you'll need to go somewhere else. I did one in Hoboken and one in
> Long
> Island. Both were reasonably fast courses, but it was hot, so I didn't
> beat
> my central park time.

I completely agree. I also did the Wall Street 5K, but it wasn't a good
race for me-I really don't like the downtown streets, I think I'll be
skipping those weeknight downtown races next year. The other 2 5K's I did
were in northern NJ-flat courses, my times were good (PR'ed each time,) got
an AG award in each (1st in one, 2nd in the other) but I wasn't too thrilled
with the execution-would blast the first mile and just try and hang on for
the remaining 2.1 miles. I've been much happier with my pacing in 10Ks.

> Good luck in 2005.

Thanks!! Same to you!!

The Trailrunner

Dec 27, 2004, 2:38:00 AM12/27/04

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?
about 2700

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

Highest: 90 Lowest: 15

> 3. What was your longest run?

50 miles

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

2 50M; 6 50K; 1 marathon; 4 misc of from 30K to 40M

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Firetrails 50M; time wasn't great but felt great the whole race and was
a major comeback/confidence builder from medical issues.

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

My 40M birthday run that I was joined in by 40 or so of my closest
friends :-)

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

Surprisingly nothing extreme.

> 8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?

Make progress with my medical condition and complete a 50M. yep!

> 9. What are your goals for 2004?

a 100K in the spring and if that goes well, a 100M in the fall

> 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

You're never too old to rock & roll!

--
- The Trailrunner

Anti-Spam Alert: If you wish to reply, cut the *BS*

Trails of the Diablo Valley
*Running - Hiking - Nature*
http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/trails/6016/

Tim Downie

Dec 27, 2004, 4:50:58 AM12/27/04
WestEndGirl wrote:
> Courtesy of one of my teammates-a marathon-inspirational quote:
> "Speed is sex, distance is love."

Not heard that one before. I like it. ;-)

Tim

Doug Freese

Dec 27, 2004, 6:54:56 AM12/27/04

> On 2004-12-27, WestEndGirl <l...@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>> i know i haven't posted here in forever...went back to lurker mode,
>> but
>> couldn't resist participating in this thread. thanks for posting it.
>> :)
>
> Good to see you back here. BTW, my fiancee just joined the flyers, so
> might show up at some flyer events some time.

Did she sign up or did you sign her up. I can see the prenup - no speed
work, grounds for divorce and no 50%. I hope you signed her up for the
companionship and not to convert her into a redliner. Then again, I
can't see you the companion of happy jogger. :-)

> BTW, do you do the flyers speed sessions ? What are they like ? And
> what do
> they have in terms of range of ability ? Do they have many people at
> about
> your pace, or maybe a little slower ?

Groan. ;)

-DF

Doug Freese

Dec 27, 2004, 7:02:20 AM12/27/04

"Tim Downie" <timdow...@obvious.yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

"Road runners talk and trail runners confess" - me

-Doug

Doug Freese

Dec 27, 2004, 7:02:20 AM12/27/04

"The Trailrunner" <TheTrailhead*BS*@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> 9. What are your goals for 2004?
> a 100K in the spring and if that goes well, a 100M in the fall

What ones? All on the west coast?

-Doug

FabulustRunner

Dec 27, 2004, 8:13:26 AM12/27/04
> BTW, my fiancee just joined the flyers

They allow blowup dolls in that club?

>might show up at some flyer events some time.

Now that she knows that, she won't.

Tom R Wheeler

Dec 27, 2004, 10:17:03 AM12/27/04
Who makes more Money?
A Jock,
A Nerd?

Categories
   Top Rated Jokes
Sports Jokes
Jock vs. Nerd
$ Michael Jordan having "retired," with $40 million in endorsements,
makes $178,100 a day, working or not.
$ If he sleeps 7 hours a night, he makes $52,000 every night while
visions of sugarplums dance in his head.
$ If he goes to see a movie, it'll cost him $7.00, but he'll make
$18,550 while he's there.
$ If he decides to have a 5 minute egg, he'll make $618 while boiling
it.
$ He makes $7,415/hr more than minimum wage.
$ He'll make $3,710 while watching each episode of Friends.
$ If he wanted to save up for a new Acura NSX ($90,000) it would take
him a whole 12 hours.
$ If someone were to hand him his salary and endorsement money, they
would have to do it at the rate of $2.00 every second.
$ He'll probably pay around $200 for a nice round of golf, but will be
reimbursed $33,390 for that round.
$ Assuming he puts the federal maximum of 15% of his income into a tax
deferred account (401k), his contributions will hit the federal cap of
$9500 at 8:30 a.m. on January 1st.
$ If you were given a penny for every 10 dollars he made, you 'd be
living comfortably at $65,000 a year.
$ He'll make about $19.60 while watching the 100 meter dash in the
Olympics, and about $15,600 during the Boston Marathon.
$ While the common person is spending about $20 for a meal in his trendy
Chicago restaurant, he'll pull in about $5600.
$ This year, he'll make more than twice as much as all U.S. past
presidents for all of their terms combined.
Amazing isn't it?  However...
$ If Jordan saves 100% of his income for the next 450 years, he'll still
have less than Bill Gates has today.
$$$ Game over.
  Nerd wins.

Tom R Wheeler

Dec 27, 2004, 10:42:04 AM12/27/04

Categories:
Blonde Jokes
Blonde horse riding

A blonde from California decides to try horseback riding, even
though she has had no lessons or prior experience. She mounts the horse
unassisted and the horse immediately springs into motion. It gallops
along at a steady and rhythmic pace, but the blonde begins to slip from
the saddle.
In terror, she grabs for the horse's mane, but cannot seem to get a firm
grip. She tries to throw her arms around the horse's neck, but she
slides down the side of the horse anyway. The horse gallops along,
seemingly oblivious to its slipping rider. Finally, giving up her frail
grip, she leaps away from the horse to try and throw herself to safety.
Unfortunately, her foot has become entangled in the stirrup, she is now
at the mercy of the horse's pounding hooves as her head is struck
against the ground over and over. As her head is battered against the
ground, she is mere moments away from unconsciousness when to her great
fortune . . . the Supermarket manager sees her and shuts the horse off.

My friend was on duty in the main lab on a quiet afternoon. He noticed a
young woman sitting in front of one of the workstations with her arms
crossed across her chest, staring at the screen. After about 15 minutes
he noticed that she was still in the same position, only now she was
impatiently tapping her foot. He asked if she needed help and she
replied "It's about time!

Donovan Rebbechi

Dec 27, 2004, 11:06:38 AM12/27/04
On 2004-12-27, Doug Freese <dfr...@hvc.rr.com> wrote:

> "Donovan Rebbechi" <ab...@aol.com> wrote in message
>> On 2004-12-27, WestEndGirl <l...@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>>> i know i haven't posted here in forever...went back to lurker mode,
>>> but
>>> couldn't resist participating in this thread. thanks for posting it.
>>> :)
>>
>> Good to see you back here. BTW, my fiancee just joined the flyers, so
>> might show up at some flyer events some time.
>
> Did she sign up or did you sign her up.

She signed up.

> I can see the prenup - no speed work, grounds for divorce and no 50%.

You can't see past your own nose.

> I hope you signed her up for the

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Incorrect premise

> companionship and not to convert her into a redliner.

Yeah, right.

Last "redlining" event she went to, they sung christmas carols and brought
toys to kids in the hospital.

> Then again, I can't see you the companion of happy jogger. :-)

Even you're not a "happy" jogger, or any other kind of jogger. You went from
being a "redliner" to doing ultras (your peak milage for this year is 50% more
than mine, and I'm supposedly a "redliner") So why do you so loudly advocate
that everyone else be a "jogger" ? FWIW, her approach to training is
considerably more restrained than my "redline training", your "extreme sports
training" with the 130 mile weeks, or even most r.r posters.

>> BTW, do you do the flyers speed sessions ? What are they like ? And what do
>> they have in terms of range of ability ? Do they have many people at about
>> your pace, or maybe a little slower ?
>
> Groan. ;)

She's already doing speedwork with a different group, you silly old man. But
it would obviously be desirable for her to train with her teammates.

The Trailrunner

Dec 27, 2004, 11:48:41 AM12/27/04

Mi-Wok 100K and either San Diego or Javelina 100M. The right coast is
too unpredictable weather wise. With my luck, I'd catch one of those 90
degree, 90% days and you'd have to sweep me up with a wet vac. I still
have Bull Run on the to do list though.

Brian Baresch

Dec 27, 2004, 11:49:20 AM12/27/04
>1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

By Dec. 31 I'll be just over 2,200.

>2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

Highest: Week of 6 September, 70.8.
Lowest: Week of 8 November, the week after the NYCM; I was traveling
and forgot to record my runs but did maybe 6 to 12.

>3. What was your longest run?

22 miles.

>4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

About 24 -- some of my races were done as training runs and got
entered as such, so I may have missed one.

>5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Best was probably the Austin Marathon, 3:14 and a BQ; I ran
consistently the whole way and never hit the wall.

Worst, well, no really bad results that I can remember. I went out too
fast in the NYCM and staggered in with a 3:19, about 14 minutes
positive, but I had such a great time I wouldn't call that "worst". I
had a 10K where I ran 30 seconds positive, but I still set a PR. Most
of my other races met or exceeded my expectations.

>6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

Austin and NYC marathons. Also, a week ago I was visiting Kansas City
and got to join the More Miles Than Degrees Club with a 16-miler in
10-to-15-degree weather (Fahrenheit). That may be all in a day's work
for folks farther north, but I live in Texas.

There was one run where I decided to do a 20-miler with the last third
or so at increasing pace, and I arranged it so I'd hit a 10K race
right about the time I was on 12-13 miles. I ended up setting a PR in
the race!

Also, sub-10 5K in April, sub-19 5K in October, and a 40-flat 10K on a
warm humid day, all milestones I'd hoped to hit during the year.

One day my GF, a novice cyclist, and I entered a duathlon relay, and
we came in second in the mixed division. Her first race ever, and she
got a medal! For my part I was able to pass one of the other mixed
teams in the last 100 yards.

>7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

That 16-miler in the low teens (see above).

>8. What were your goals for 2004? Did you achieve them?

Sub-40 10K, sub-20 and then sub-19 5K, BQ, run NYCM -- reached them
all.

>9. What are your goals for 2005?

Boston Marathon in 3:05 weather permitting. Sub-39 10K. Do a few
triathlons. Join my sweetie for another duathlon relay or two.

>10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

"Start slow and taper off."

--
Brian P. Baresch
Fort Worth, Texas, USA

If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston Churchill

Doug Freese

Dec 27, 2004, 12:25:49 PM12/27/04

> Mi-Wok 100K and either San Diego or Javelina 100M.

One of these years I'm going to Javelina, if nothing else to meet Geri.
I love that lady and I hear it's a greart show!!!

> The right coast is too unpredictable weather wise. With my luck, I'd
> catch one of those 90 degree, 90% days and you'd have to sweep me up
> with a wet vac.

Amen! I got creamed last year at Bull with heat AND humdity. Last 5
miles were not fun.

> have Bull Run on the to do list though.

With the bad weather last year you have a direct line to nice weather.
This will be my 4 or 5th - a real classy race organized by the
Virginia happy trail dirt bags. :) Let's attempt to meet.
Registration opens Jan 17th and it fills fast.

-Doug

Doug Freese

Dec 27, 2004, 12:45:28 PM12/27/04

>> Then again, I can't see you the companion of happy jogger. :-)
>
> Even you're not a "happy" jogger, or any other kind of jogger. You
> went from
> being a "redliner" to doing ultras (your peak milage for this year is
> 50% more
> than mine, and I'm supposedly a "redliner")

I run 45-50 a week on average. As for peek mileage it was on one day
and it included and ultra that week.

So why do you so loudly advocate
> that everyone else be a "jogger" ? FWIW, her approach to training is
> considerably more restrained than my "redline training", your "extreme
> sports
> training" with the 130 mile weeks, or even most r.r posters.

Donnie got a crossed hair on his ass this morning. You should know by
now I use the term jogger as a positive term. I consider myself a
jogger. It's only the snobs that have problem with the term.

> She's already doing spadework with a different group, you silly old

> man. But
> it would obviously be desirable for her to train with her teammates.

No prenup with specific 5k and 10k times in the contract for her. Maybe
you need some "performance" numbers also but not running related. Tee
Hee tight ass. A redliner without a sense of humor...drum roll....
Egoman!! :) :) Sign her into this group and we will give her the real
skinny on you.

-Your Idol

Donovan Rebbechi

Dec 27, 2004, 1:40:30 PM12/27/04
On 2004-12-27, Doug Freese <dfr...@hvc.rr.com> wrote:

> "Donovan Rebbechi" <ab...@aol.com> wrote in message
>>> Then again, I can't see you the companion of happy jogger. :-)
>>
>> Even you're not a "happy" jogger, or any other kind of jogger. You
>> went from
>> being a "redliner" to doing ultras (your peak milage for this year is
>> 50% more
>> than mine, and I'm supposedly a "redliner")
>
> I run 45-50 a week on average.

Which is comparable to about 65-70 for someone my age. My average is only
60 for this year, with a peak of 79 or a 7 day max of about 88.

> As for peek mileage it was on one day
> and it included and ultra that week.

And that makes it easier, right ? (-;

> Donnie got a crossed hair on his ass this morning. You should know by
> now I use the term jogger as a positive term. I consider myself a
> jogger. It's only the snobs that have problem with the term.

Most people don't have 50 mile weeks and 70 mile races in mind when they
use the word "jogger".

> Hee tight ass. A redliner without a sense of humor...drum roll....

It's not funny. For future reference, keep my fiancee out of your shitty
jokes. There is a fine line between being "funny" and just being an obnoxious
jackass, and today, you're on the wrong side of it.

Lanceandrew

Dec 27, 2004, 2:55:31 PM12/27/04
>Donnie got a crossed hair on his ass this morning. You should know by
now I use the term jogger as a positive term. I consider myself a
jogger. It's only the snobs that have problem with the term.
____

...ng, please excuse Mr. Freese, he's getting up there in years & Alzheimer is
kicking in. he also knows sheehan is wrong & one need not subscribe to
galloway's 5 stages either. Mr. Freese is a runner, not a jogger, on his
better days...he knows this....but he sometimes forgets this. He, like many
subscribes to the notion that the difference between the two is attitude &
approach. No goal=jogger. Goal=runner. The goal can be anything under the
sun....lose weight, decompress from a day's work, whatever. There's nothing
pejorative about the term jogger....it simply characterizes those engaging in
the endeavor with no goal. Yes, plenty of people run with no particular goal
of any kind in mind. that is your jogger.

Mr. Freese is the very leader, the captain, a regional advocate of the endeavor
leading a group of people on weekend runs. He drills screws in his shoes for
traction, he drills holes in his shoes to drain water. He enters races and
subjects himself to be scored. Mr. Freese has clear goals. He advises and
encourages people on how to improve in this endeavor. i understand he
considers himself to be a jogger....but... he also considers himself to be a
handsome fellow and the perfect man for Demi Moore. I say we extend
compassionate understanding to the elderly....and allow Mr. Freese to wallow in
his own delusion about himself on all 3 counts. it's not an issue of "having
a problem" with a term. it's an issue of accuracy.

back from san francisco...great trail running right at the golden gate bridge,
presidio, and along the san francisco coast line.....also hit muir woods. got
a kick out of seeing the local runners in tights, caps & mitts in 50 degree
weather.

Philip Brown

Dec 27, 2004, 5:24:47 PM12/27/04
On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 16:42:53 -0500, "SwStudio"
<shhhh_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Greetings, rec.runners!

>1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

2148 miles so far

>2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

65 miles (three weeks before marathon)
0 miles (chest infection in August/post-marathon week in October)

>3. What was your longest run?

26.2 miles

>4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

Four

>5. What were your best and worst race performances?

1:19:08 half-marathon most pleasing
3:03:02 marathon least pleasing

>6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

>7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

Caught on open moorland road in hailstorm that drew blood from both
shoulders (I always run in vest).

>8. What were your goals for 2004? Did you achieve them?

Break my two "soft" personal bests - 36:48 for 10K and 2:59:12 for
marathon (as opposed to 16:47 5K and 1:17:40 half)

Neither was achieved.

>9. What are your goals for 2005?

As above, plus picking up a few top-three places in M40 race
categories (I turn 40 on April 22, 2005)

>10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?
>

>cheers,

Doug Freese

Dec 27, 2004, 6:23:12 PM12/27/04

"Lanceandrew" <lance...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Mr. Freese is the very leader, the captain, a regional advocate of the
> endeavor
> leading a group of people on weekend runs. He drills screws in his
> shoes for
> traction, he drills holes in his shoes to drain water. He enters
> races and
> subjects himself to be scored. Mr. Freese has clear goals. He
> advises and
> encourages people on how to improve in this endeavor. i understand
> he
> considers himself to be a jogger....but... he also considers himself
> to be a
> handsome fellow and the perfect man for Demi Moore. I say we extend
> compassionate understanding to the elderly....and allow Mr. Freese to
> wallow in
> his own delusion about himself on all 3 counts. it's not an issue
> of "having
> a problem" with a term. it's an issue of accuracy.

If you had cover the screws in my head you would have been 100% correct.

> back from san francisco...great trail running right at the golden gate
> bridge,
> presidio, and along the san francisco coast line.....also hit muir
> woods. got
> a kick out of seeing the local runners in tights, caps & mitts in 50
> degree
> weather.

Confess, did you wear the same clothes to blend in? So you brought the
snow. Run up nob hill?

Ran about 10 today in 1 inch of soft snow and bright sun - heavenly.

-Doug
_

Miss Anne Thrope

Dec 27, 2004, 11:29:48 PM12/27/04
I only had 2 goals for 2004, but I did manage to successfully accomplish
both of them. I vowed to find a practical system design to harness the
energy of cold fusion, and I went on a hunger strike until the problem
of violence in the NHL was addressed. I actually gained weight on that
one.

Tom R Wheeler

Dec 28, 2004, 9:40:05 AM12/28/04
  View New Forum Topics
the link above. proceed. To start viewing messages,
 Cycling Forums PostsMark Forums Read
my bubble burst! (shoes)

 Jan 9 2004
09-01.-2004, 05:13 AM   #16
Bill
Guest

Re: my bubble burst! (shoes)
wrote in message
> OK, so I have the Nike Air Max Moto shoes. I noticed today that one of
my "bubbles burst" and it
> makes a funny noise when I step down.

Had the bubble burst in a pair of Nike Tailwinds and it was not a
problem. Cycling three pairs and
cannot tell the difference.
Had the bubble burst in the Air Max, the one prior to the current
"fashion" model and it made a big
difference; probably, because the heel had worn down as well.

Bill
09-01.-2004, 05:13 AM   #17
Ed Prochak
Guest

Re: my bubble burst! (shoes) Ted, you ignorant slut 8^). Running shoes
DO NOT NEED a "break in" period.
Since that was my remark, I'll respond.

> But if the shoes are different from what they replace, the feet,
ankles, knees and even back may
> indeed need "breaking in".
Good point, but that adjustment period should not involve pain
attributable to the shoes.

> Best to have many pairs of shoes of several different kinds and rotate
them. I have nine pair
> covering three different brands (a few lighter Nike, some Adidas, Asic
tiger paw) and five
> different models (couple of pegasuses and several Triax light things).
They all feel different,
> but my feet benefit from a "range of experiences". With that many
shoes, I always manage to buy
> new ones at sale prices because a worn out shoe is simply left out of
the rotation...
Good advice. Currently I have two pair of different brands. So I follow
that idea, though not to the
extent you practice it.

WheelerPaintingTW.............
Re: my bubble burst! (shoes)
Um, yabba dabba doo! (?) WTF did he say?

Bikea...@webtv.net (Tom Wheeler) wrote in message
> I gave mine to the plus 5 group eees. Lowtuc:>) Hills are ment to
climb. Here in Michigan The
> Great Lake State. see you snow, everywere . crunch crunch and cold
here. It not the temp. it the
> freezer and wind chill. After a few days off" becomeing"
Transformation, bone crunching, tissue
> churning, Brain re doing to find out that Red Tape is just what it is.
Red Tape. Lost in cyber
> world and I am, and I am so glad I know you.as one might say to get
off this 10 cent cans pick up
> thing. Wew q we. I don't need this .I was right, Butt with people as I
don't care and I am and I
> know you. see you. Congrads You are number 3 in the last 4 years who
broke a bubble. as far as I
> seen. Injuries are long to heal in this human form. Butt no mattr what
I well allways be
> U.S.A....no matter what. Lost and dead.funny about We the people. They
well find the rock under
> the mountain for a reason to make me Lost and dead agen.I am old and
so sick of this never
> endding re fill paper work that in the end well never happen agen. I
Knoe I M.....Y ecause There
> Not A GOD DAm THing I can Do. butt pick up 10 cent cans to live on
AGEN>>>>>>>>....... By and
> thank you. The red ass butt Bike rider. I am............... Cheers.
Time to ride. The no sore
> butt rider. I am. Y because You Let Me No YOU. You ARE. (The numebr
3person that broke a cell or
> bubble.) I know I am The
> CELL>>>>>>>
> I M>>>>>>>......................We THE
> PEOPLE>>>>>>>>>>>................. soory running people. I start up in
> spring. I gone.

In short;
audit by I.R.S. for 30 years.
2nd.denide Unemployment DENIDED.

any food help. No food help.

121 weeks now with no job or income.

one thing I figure is they(?) want this Land here for free. becaus a
sub division is starting all around thes farms here.
and as for a job or money.
Hell No....DENIDE.....

most like I see you in the spring.
espn 25% off miller lite bottle cap thief. ike guest
the theif earn this too.

Parker Race

Dec 28, 2004, 11:05:16 AM12/28/04

"SwStudio" <shhhh_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Greetings, rec.runners!
>
> This marks the third time I have had the pleasure to post the
> season-ending Training Year thread. As always, thanks to
> everyone who takes part in both this and the weekly verson.
>
> Please join in and submit any information you have compiled
> regarding your year. You don't have to answer every question.
> Feel free to add any other info you'd like. For fun and reference,
> here are links to the past two years:
>
> 2002 - http://makeashorterlink.com/?B20446A1A
> 2003 - http://makeashorterlink.com/?S21455A1A
>
> Have a great & injury-free new year everyone!!!

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

Not sure, at least 2000 miles though.

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

65 , that would be this week where I'm projecting 0.

> 3. What was your longest run?

26.2

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

a lot, too many.

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?

19:50 5k, felt comfortable could have gone farther.
a just sub 23 minute 5k in May.

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

The race for the cure as I broke 20 for the 5k on a tough course (for me), I
didn't feel good but toughed it out.

>7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

Ridiculously cold 30k last winter. I had layers of ice in between layers of
clothing after.

> 8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?

PR in the 5k, 10k, 15, 1/2 and marathon. I did in the 5k and marathon, I
was beyond peak for the other races and the 1/2 I ran was too hilly for a
PR.

> 9. What are your goals for 2004?
Get strong, cure PF concentrate on shorter distances, mile to 10k. Learn
from history and not repeat it.

> 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

No.

> cheers,
> --
> David (in Hamilton, ON)
> www.allfalldown.org
> www.absolutelyaccurate.com

FabulustRunner

Dec 28, 2004, 11:26:01 AM12/28/04
> 09-01.-2004, 05:13 AM =A0 #17
>Ed Prochak
>Guest
>=A0

What ever happened to that overweight homo? Aids?

gym gravity

Dec 28, 2004, 11:54:42 AM12/28/04

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?
About 820 (didn't keep a log with mileage last January), almost all
base, a few harder tempo runs in June, July, August.

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?
45miles, August 9th week. zero a few weeks.

> 3. What was your longest run?
10.5miles.

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?
1 5miler, ran as hard as I could at 7:29, didn't rest for it, ran 7
miles the day before and stayed up late drinking beer and smoking pot.

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?
Only one. Hard because of the pain initiation of being the first race
in years. Hard because of the too fast first two miles or so. Great
because it was.

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?
August 22nd. 8 miles flat while visiting my parents. Nice flat area,
wooded, low traffic, along a tributary of the Chesapeake Bay. Unusually
mild, cool, dry morning for the area. Always have good runs there, this
day I wanted to go hard and to go faster on the second 4 mile loop.
First time in years that I felt like I was moving well, effortless, feet
barely touching the ground. Got bitten by a dog about 2 miles from the
end, needed to get the rabies immunoglobulin and vaccine, developed knee
pain after the run that forced time off, but it was still the best run
of the year.

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?
Minus 7-10F...wind chill minus 30, Boston, Jan 16, 2004, about 7.5 miles.

> 8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?
One goal I remember thinking was that I would get up to 50 mpw average
by May. That didn't happen because of two sprained ankles in March and
April. Then I had knee trouble in September and a baby on October 5th.
(a great thing).

> 9. What are your goals for 2004?
My goal is to be a consistent, year round runner, and to not get hurt.
50mpw average for the year. Maybe a fall marathon, definitely looking
to get a half marathon under 7mpm.

> 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?
nope.

Dan Stumpus

Dec 28, 2004, 10:32:16 PM12/28/04
Lanceandrew wrote:

> back from san francisco...great trail running right at the golden
> gate bridge, presidio, and along the san francisco coast
> line.....also hit muir woods.

I enjoy running in the hills out there, too. I will run several trail races
there in '05. Maybe the Miwok 100k this year.

> got a kick out of seeing the local
> runners in tights, caps & mitts in 50 degree weather.

I live in very mild LA, and I still scratch my head when most of the runners
I see are wearing warm-ups or tights in 50 degree weather, too. I'd burn
up.

When it gets down to 40 or so, I'll don a wool cap and gloves, but it takes
weather in the 20's to get me into tights or warm-ups.

-- Dan

Doug Freese

Dec 29, 2004, 12:23:22 AM12/29/04

"Dan Stumpus" <dstump...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> I enjoy running in the hills out there, too. I will run several trail
> races
> there in '05. Maybe the Miwok 100k this year.

Careful Dan, Miwok is 100k and your getting closer to the 100 mile. Do
you have Western States tucked in a future pocket? Just like you
sniffed out Donoavn for a marathon, I'm getting vibes you're looking to
go longer. ;)

-DougF

The Trailrunner

Dec 29, 2004, 3:00:28 AM12/29/04

Yeah, sounds like he hasn't figured out that 100K ain't "just" 12M more
than a 50. Once he does, he'll be like the rest of us and realize you
might race 100Ks but you run 100Ms and have twice as long to do it so
why not.

rick++

Dec 29, 2004, 11:13:48 AM12/29/04
I was on pace for a 26th 2,000+ mile year, but injured my knee
in April. Did recover more or less by the end of the year,
but looking at a more modest 1,300 miles for 2005.

Daniel

Dec 29, 2004, 11:45:32 AM12/29/04
wrote:

>Greetings, rec.runners! . . .
>
> . . . Have a great & injury-free new year everyone!!!

You too, David! Please no life-threatening illnesses and emergency
surgeries! (I think your whole series of posts after the appendix thing
should get some kind of online journalism award!)

>1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

I went from no exercise to being a beginning runner in 2004. Indulge me
for a moment while I give monthly totals: Jan 6.5, Feb 2.5, Mar 19.0, Apr
29.1, May 31.8, Jun 39.9, Jul 47.0, Aug 50.6, Sep 48.5, Oct 56.5, Nov 52.9,
Dec (3 workouts to go) should be around 55.

Total so far this year: 423.5 -- yes, I run less in a month than many here
run in a week.

>2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

0 .. 16.0

>3. What was your longest run?

5.9 miles (72 minutes)

>4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

(3) 5K's

>5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Times were 34:33, 30:07, 32:07

>6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

August 14 -- the first time I kept moving for over an hour.
November 7 -- 29:42 unofficial 5000M on the track
November 13 -- 4.5 miles in late shorts-and-singlet weather with my son

>7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

June 25, 94蚌 and *Heavy smoke* from a big grass fire that erupted up-wind
of me in the evening (scary!).

>8. What were your goals for 2004? Did you achieve them?

I resolved to run (just finish) a 5K!

>9. What are your goals for 2005?

I think I have a 28:00 5K in me for the first half of 2005.
For the second half of 2005, increase mileage to where it won't kill me to
run a local 8.2 mile trail race in November, and possibly a leg of the
California International Marathon Relay in Sacramento, Calif. in December.

>10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

California Spanglish: "?azlo ya!" -- "Just *do* it already!"

--
Daniel
deltae...@usa.net

Donovan Rebbechi

Dec 29, 2004, 2:41:27 PM12/29/04
On 2004-12-29, Daniel <deltae...@usa.net> wrote:

> I went from no exercise to being a beginning runner in 2004. Indulge me
> for a moment while I give monthly totals: Jan 6.5, Feb 2.5, Mar 19.0, Apr
> 29.1, May 31.8, Jun 39.9, Jul 47.0, Aug 50.6, Sep 48.5, Oct 56.5, Nov 52.9,
> Dec (3 workouts to go) should be around 55.
>
> Total so far this year: 423.5 -- yes, I run less in a month than many here
> run in a week.

Building up milage takes time. I don't know what my weekly milage was in the
beginning because I didn't log it, but it was less than 10 a week. Your
gradual buildup over this year has created a solid foundation that you can
build on. Just stick with your current approach: slowly increase your milage
and you'll log over 1000 miles next year, and over 2000 the year after that.

SwStudio

Dec 29, 2004, 4:54:12 PM12/29/04
"Daniel" <deltae...@usa.net> wrote in message

> On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 16:42:53 -0500, "SwStudio"
>>Greetings, rec.runners! . . .
>>
>> . . . Have a great & injury-free new year everyone!!!
>
> You too, David! Please no life-threatening illnesses and emergency
> surgeries! (I think your whole series of posts after the appendix thing
> should get some kind of online journalism award!)

Thanks, it was more fun to write about it than experience it. ;-)

World.net

Dec 29, 2004, 5:10:13 PM12/29/04
On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 16:42:53 -0500, "SwStudio" <shhhh_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Greetings, rec.runners!

>1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

The year's not over but as of now, 971miles

>2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

0 lowest, 37.7 highest

>3. What was your longest run?

2004 L.A. Marathon - 26.2

>4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

1, Mission Inn 10K 59:15

Best - 59:15 10K, Worst - 2004 L.A. Marathon 5:09 @ 95°

Oct 03, started @39° light rain, then came the hail and ended with 70° sunshine.

>7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

Oct 03 see #6

>8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?

Run a marathon. Started my training the second week in January and ran the 2003 L.A. Marathon the first week in March.
Don't try this at home kids. 6 weeks just isn't enough. 5:25

>9. What are your goals for 2004?

Train for a sub 5:00 time at the 20th running of the L.A. Marathon. (praying for 40° weather)

>10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

I hate running, I've always hated running. Why the hell am I running?..... I think I'm starting to like running.

>cheers,

Dan Stumpus

Dec 29, 2004, 5:51:54 PM12/29/04
The Trailrunner wrote:
> Doug Freese wrote:

>> Careful Dan, Miwok is 100k and your getting closer to the 100 mile.
>> Do you have Western States tucked in a future pocket? Just like you
>> sniffed out Donoavn for a marathon, I'm getting vibes you're looking
>> to go longer. ;)

Yes, but I'm wary. I still haven't run a good 50m (as an oldster). I think
after a couple of tries that I'm zeroing in on the correct "feeling" for the
first half. Maybe respect for that tough 100k will help me ease back on my
crazy competitiveness in the first half.

> Yeah, sounds like he hasn't figured out that 100K ain't "just" 12M
> more than a 50. Once he does, he'll be like the rest of us and
> realize you might race 100Ks but you run 100Ms and have twice as long
> to do it so why not.

Oh, no, I think it's going to be alot tougher than a 50m.

-- Dan

gym gravity

Dec 30, 2004, 9:22:26 AM12/30/04
steve common wrote:

> Running through the crowds in the casbah of Mahmid El Rozlane. Seemed
> the whole town was out to see the Ahansal brothers coming through during
> the long 76k stage of the Sand Marathon and I was just 1 minute ahead of
> them at that point (49k) - BTW they started 3 hours after me :-)

Are they the Morrocan brothers that came to do NY marathon a few years
ago? Have they returned completely to ultra running or have they tried
any other marathons?

Daniel

Dec 30, 2004, 11:06:51 AM12/30/04
On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 19:41:27 +0000 (UTC), Donovan Rebbechi <ab...@aol.com>
wrote:

> . . .

Thanks for the encouragement. -- Although I'm rolling my eyes at the
reference to 2000 miles per year; that's a long ways away! :)

Running 5 days a week, 3.1 miles average is 808 and 4 miles average is 1042
-- somewhere in there is in the back of my mind for 2005.

--
Daniel
deltae...@usa.net

Donovan Rebbechi

Dec 30, 2004, 1:08:44 PM12/30/04
On 2004-12-26, Anthony <ant...@nospam.mail.biu.ac.il> wrote:

>> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

> 1300 km (808 miles). 2003 was over 2000 miles...

>> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

> High was this week! (82 km - 51 miles). Lots of 00000 weeks.
> 4.5 months off injured. Managed a fair bit of pool running (yuk) and
> biking. Have kept up some biking since returning to normal running
> schedule. Trying to run as much as possible on more runner-friendly
> surfaces like grass and dirt trails.

>> 3. What was your longest run?

> January marathon.

>> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

> Jan marathon 2:57:17
> Jul 5k 20:00
> Oct 10k 40:28
> Nov 10k 39:41
> Dec 1/2M 1:26:34

Good luck preparing for London ! BTW, excellent job in the Jan marathon. I know
the above races aren't exactly your fastest, but a 2:57 marathon is still a
damn good performance compared to your race times from 2003. Judging by the
race times above, your comeback is coming along nicely. Keep at it and you'll
be back in 37/83 shape soon.

SwStudio

Dec 30, 2004, 2:08:21 PM12/30/04
"Anthony" <ant...@nospam.mail.biu.ac.il> wrote in message
> Thanks David for the continued maintenance. These threads as well as the
> race reports
> are what makes this group worthwhile for me ( and easier to follow...)

My pleasure. I appreciate the thanks, and also the participation!
Good luck in '05.

SwStudio

Dec 30, 2004, 1:52:07 PM12/30/04
"SwStudio" <shhhh_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

About 1300 - 1400 miles. I took a couple months off.

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

Highest was 124km (77 miles). Lowest was zero.

> 3. What was your longest run?

About 19 miles.

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

About 33 - 35

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Best 5k - 16:43
Best 10k - 35:18
Best HM - 79:03

Worst 5k - 18:11 (thirteen days after appendectomy)
Worst 10 mile - 62:18 (twelve days after appendectomy)
Worst 30k - DNF (appendix)

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

Not a favorite, but I will never forget my appendix rupturing
during the ATB30k.

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

Hilly 15k race in freezing horizontal rain with steady 35-40mph
wind.

> 8. What were your goals for 2004? Did you achieve them?

My goals every year are to improve on as many PR's as I
can. I achieved success with 5k, 10k, & HM.

> 9. What are your goals for 2005?

Improve on as many PR's as I can.

> 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

"Science can't determine how the mind will tolerate pain in a
race. Sometimes I say, "Today I can die.'"
- Gelindo Bordin

Ben Blaukopf

Dec 30, 2004, 5:22:45 PM12/30/04
Dan wrote:
>>1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

2200km.

>>2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

High: 91K, low 0K (on honeymoon, but did do some hiking)

>>3. What was your longest run?

32K

>>4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

2 * 5K
2 * 5mile xc
1 * 10mile
1 * 20K
3 * 1/2 marathon
1 * marathon (aborted half way)

>>5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Best: 62:00 for 10 miles
Worst: 1:31:xx (didn't bother writing it down!) for 1/2 marathon

>>6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

A slow short run I did the mornning of my wedding to clear my head.
Not particularly good running or anything - but it epitomised one
reason I like running - the destressing effect

>>7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

The only thing that stands out is the very hot weather when I did the
1:31 half. But even that wasn't
anything special.

>>8. What were your goals for 2004? Did you achieve them?

sub-3 marathon, which I aborted after throwing up half way having
taken 1:31 already, and feeling like I'd run 1:25....

>>9. What are your goals for 2005?

Improve all my pbs. Goal of sub-3 is lurking, though I haven't really
committed to it yet. Doing the Southern XC Championships (England) but
that's just for the experience.

Ben

Donovan Rebbechi

Dec 30, 2004, 11:55:08 PM12/30/04
On 2004-12-25, SwStudio <shhhh_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings, rec.runners!
>
> This marks the third time I have had the pleasure to post the
> season-ending Training Year thread. As always, thanks to
> everyone who takes part in both this and the weekly verson.

Thanks for posting it. I was almost going to wait for the end of
the year to post here, but it's near enough...

First, something that's not in the list. The most interesting experience was
marathon recovery, and finding out how it worked. I'd seen teammates enjoy a
"post marathon bounce" before, but these were guys who overtrained going in.
Post-marathon, I was doing 60 miles of junk (compared to 70 with 2/week speed
work before). In hindsight, a week off before resumption of 60 miles junk
might have helped, though probably not that much. I was uninjured, and not
carrying anything resembling an injury.

A 10k race a month out turned out to be a big disappointment. My
group speedwork sessions had consisted of short easy reps -- much like doing a
bunch of strides. Which is fine in that there's no point training really hard
just after the marathon, but my endurance suffered. My legs would turn over
just fine -- for about 400m, and then they would turn to lead. I realised
that I was out of shape a little before the 10k race, and also knew there was
nothing I could do about it -- I just wasn't ready for hard training.

But the 10k race was a hard enough slap in the face that it kicked me into
gear. After that, I was physically ready to train, and the bitter taste of
defeat (more about that later) inspired me to train hard again. So it was
back to doubles, 70mpw, with two 4x1200 speed sessions. The first week, I
went slightly overboard with 4 tempo runs, a 4x1200, and an easy hill session.
The 4x1200 was barely OK, avg 4:15. About 10 seconds off my best. The first
of the tempos was mediocre, but they got better. Finished that week with 69
miles, and more importantly, was back in the doubles rhythm.

Second week I did the first 4x1200 on an odd track, avg was 4:11 which seemed
like an improvement, though hard to interpret because it's a wonky track (I
think it's 400m, but it has turns and grades). The next 4x1200 on a proper
track was a mess, because I had DOMS from a weights workout, but I plodded on.
Did another tempo. What was important to me was that I didn't feel any urge
to bomb out on the 4x1200 workouts. I'd just do them from start to finish, and
not feel too trashed at the end. Mentally, I was great even when the workout
bombed.

Third week (this one), the first 4x1200 was interrupted by snow. So I
guestimated a route that was about the right length (a subset of a .9 mile
loop) and did each of the 4 reps faster than the last. The snow cleared for
the second workout (today), and I finished the workout at an avg of 4:04.9,
about half a second off my best. So nearly 2 months out, I'm in good shape
again. What I learned is that post-marathon recovery seems like forever, even
though it's around 8 weeks or so (for me).

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

3161 miles + whatever I do tomorrow

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

Highest and lowest for any training week: 79 and 40 (miles)

Highest and lowest for *any* 7 day window: 88 and 21 (miles)

> 3. What was your longest run?

26.2 miles

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

27

Distances:
400m: 1 (track, 62)
800m: 2 (track, both slow)
1M: 3 (track, 5:06, 4:52, 4:51)
2M: 1 (DNF)
5k: 6 (XC: 18:32/18:26. Roads: 17:30,17:45,17:52)
4M: 4 (XC: 25:22, roads: 23:19, 22:38, 23:45)
5M: 2 (28:27, 29:34)
10k: 3 (37:22, 39:30, 36:53)
10M: 1 (64:03)
HM: 3 (81:57,82:46,79:40)
Mar: 1 (2:58:31)

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?

best:
mile: 4:52 indoors
4M: 22:38
5M: 28:27
HM: 79:40

worst: DNF for 2 mile

biggest disappointment: the DNF and the slow 10k. The time they assigned me,
39:30, was off by a whole minute, and the course was probably wrong.

On the DNF, I was just mentally burned out from too much racing, and the
pressure got to me -- I wanted to hit each lap in 1:20 and it wasn't going to
happen. To make things worse, it was hot and I was nervous. The funny thing
is, if I hung in there, I would have got through in about 10:45 -- still very
close to goal.

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

Too many to remember (-;
(1) The 22:38 4 mile. This was the start of several strong performances. I went
on to do the fast mile 2 weeks later.
(2) My indoor 4:52 mile in April. I was shooting for sub 5, so ended up with
a big negative split and very strong finish.

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

Well, there's the usual single-digit cold in Jan, and there were the Dec
blizzards.

But the craziest part was when I went on one of my routes in a park, to find
that the path was covered in 1 foot of snow. So I remember doing 2 miles or
so in a foot of snow, thinking, "WTF am I doing ? This isn't running". It was
more like cross country skiing, in running shoes.

> 8. What were your goals for 2004? Did you achieve them?

Didn't have any specific goals. Some of the things I wanted to do -- break
70% WAVA, score for my team, stay uninjured, I achieved. In fact I achieved
these by a fairly good margin -- I went up to 75.3% WAVA, and was a consistent
(if low-end) scorer for my team. I wanted to break 37 for 10k. I did this by
a narrow margin.

I would have liked a sub 36, but it didn't happen. I just didn't prepare well
for any 10k races.

The marathon was very much spur-of-the-moment. I had the miles, and I had put
in the entry, so I figured, why not ? I wouldn't have minded a faster time,
but sub 3 on first try is acceptable.

> 9. What are your goals for 2004?

Faster 10k. Don't run any marathons for a while (-;

> 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

It's a good time to quote the late great coach, Lydiard.

"Champions are everywhere, all you have to do is train them properly"
"It is important that you can see your feet".

"Who do you think you are, Snell?" (a heckler hararssing Lydiard and Snell
while they were out running in New York)

"Americans eat too large of portions"

"Run every day" (advice for young runners)

"Well I suppose some moderate stretches might help, but I never saw a race
horse stretching!!"

"They say beer dehydrates you but it doesn't if you drink enough of it."

"I have the most expensive urine in New Zealand but I am bloody well going to
keep taking my vitamins."

"Miles make champions."

"
How far?
To the next tree.

How fast?
Your best effort.

How many?
Until you get tired!"

Dan Stumpus

Dec 31, 2004, 12:55:31 AM12/31/04
I enjoyed reading your recap, Donovan.

I also liked the Lydiard quotes. He was the *man* when I came up...

With your 4:52, I think you've got a 35:xx 10k in you, one of these days.

-- Dan

Twittering One

Dec 31, 2004, 9:02:52 AM12/31/04
Have a great & injury-free new year everyone!!!

Many thanks for your continued good will!

1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

I did not measure, as this year, I returned to running after a very long
hiatus. I began seriously, about 6 months ago, and frankly, I am very pleased
with my adaption and progress. Although I was in good cardio fitness, due to
consistent cycling, and othewise fit, due to yoga et al, my body's initial
response to running was frightening! my coordination was terrible, and my legs
felt as though the pounding would never be an option.

Further, some serious knee pain (and upper inner calf pain) cautioned me to my
body's limitations. I feared that running was not going to be an option my body
cared to puruse, given its taste for more subtle (but strenuous!) forms of
exercise. The impact problem.

But 6 months later, with careful training, I can easily run a stint of 4 miles
(not much relative to runners here!) with great form. Frankly, my mental
fatigue/boresome stops me at about mile 4 (on the treadmill), and I move on to
other training, eg, cycle, elliptical, etc. I have continued cycling, which I
will never give up, as spinning exerts my body in a way running does not; and
moreover, keeps my legs limber and more responsive.

In the beginning, I had serious knee pain, and I felt certain running was a
poorly chosen new venture. But with lots of counsel here about shoes, etc, I
finally settled into Asics Nimbae, broke them in, and now feel very comfortable
those sneakers. I found, however, that for me, it's important to switch
sneakers for other activities. For example, due to the Nimbae's generous
cushioning, I find that if I use this show for street walking, I loose
articulation in my foot muscles, eg, my foot gets lazy, does not utilize it's
full range of movement through the turnover. So I switch to NB cross-trainers
for everyday activtiy.

2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

Lowest: 0
Highest: Not high, but quality counted. 15 miles, interspersed with cycling.

3. What was your longest run?

Not long: 5 miles.

4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

None. I still don't know if races will ever appeal to me.

5. What were your best and worst race performances?

NA

6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

I rarely ran outside, due to city concrete streets etc. But one Friday
evening, 7 pm, October, 50 degrees, light rain, just mist, I had a lovely run
down through Greenich Village. The conditions were precisely to my taste:
streets relatively empty of both pedestgrains and cards; misty, no wind, lovely
fall ambience. Magical.

If every outside run met thos econditions (not easy in NYC), I would run
outside all the time, rather than the treadmill. I am not near the park, and
the options near me are not perfect for running with satisfaction.

7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

I've not much to compare under those conditions; but one day, November, I
tried running outside, and the wind was gusty and nasty. The cold, too,
discouraged me. With the stop-and-go's of city street running, the frustration
must be offset by some other pleasure; if not, I get a far more efficient run
on the treadmill. Moreove, I like te way the treadmill keeps me on a stready
pace, no slacking.

8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?

My goals were to run without feeling as though it was a hopelessly abusive
activity. I surpassed that goal. With my present training, my body feels
quite adapted.

9. What are your goals for 2004?

To maintain consistency with training, and to train in sch a way that
compliments, rather than drains, my mental/creative life and other life goals.

10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

"Run as though, if one day,
you had to run for your life,
you could!"

Thanks and gratitude to ALL here!
You taught me lots, proffered good cheer,
and kept me not alone!
_______
<A
HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

Tom R Wheeler

Dec 31, 2004, 9:47:59 AM12/31/04
to bike all year.
2667 miles
a little over 7.327 or 7.3 a day ×365 days.most all done on bike from
hurt leg at ultra try and failed. 2002 hell Mi u.s.a.
did over 14 miles under 12 minutes maybe. don't really matter. leg
wreck w..by
A T trail 2160 miles.
Alexander the great 2500 × 4 =10,000 miles.
total not counting 90¼ uni consciences time is 2667 miles u.s.a.
all out side.
113 weeks no job or unempoyment or any income help at all. picking up
10¢cas to turn into store for food.only get machines, to look for work
is too say FRUITLESS.
butt I still do.
audit by i.rs. for 30 years. yes thank you.
Bikea...@webtv.net
Tom Wheeler. ortonville Michigan u.s.a.

or contact.
e-mail. Wheelerp...@webtv.net

Phil M.

Dec 31, 2004, 10:00:02 AM12/31/04
Leafing through rec.running, I read a message from ab...@aol.com of 30
Dec 2004:

> On 2004-12-25, SwStudio <shhhh_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Greetings, rec.runners!
>>
>> This marks the third time I have had the pleasure to post the
>> season-ending Training Year thread. As always, thanks to
>> everyone who takes part in both this and the weekly verson.
>
> Thanks for posting it. I was almost going to wait for the end of
> the year to post here, but it's near enough...
>
> First, something that's not in the list. The most interesting
> experience was marathon recovery, and finding out how it worked. I'd
> seen teammates enjoy a "post marathon bounce" before, but these were
> guys who overtrained going in. Post-marathon, I was doing 60 miles of
> junk (compared to 70 with 2/week speed work before). In hindsight, a
> week off before resumption of 60 miles junk might have helped, though
> probably not that much. I was uninjured, and not carrying anything
> resembling an injury.

The fact that you still had the desire to get back to semi-serious
training was probably a good sign. I recall that you were chastised
somewhat by people that thought you jumped back into your 60+ MPW too
soon. I felt the same way, but coming from me probably wouldn't mean a
whole lot. Several training books suggest a reverse taper to get back
into your normal training mileage. I think that as you become an older
runner the time off after such an event will be a wise decision. Even if
you don't feel injured, there could be latent injuries just waiting for
an opportunity to show themselves.

>> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?
>
> 27

You owe us some race reports, pal. Did you hide these in the "Training
Week" threads? ;-)

>> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?
>
> best:
> mile: 4:52 indoors
> 4M: 22:38
> 5M: 28:27
> HM: 79:40

That's smokin'! Especially the mile. You seem to be built for middle
distance, although the half marathon time is not that far off.

> But the craziest part was when I went on one of my routes in a park,
> to find that the path was covered in 1 foot of snow. So I remember
> doing 2 miles or so in a foot of snow, thinking, "WTF am I doing ?
> This isn't running". It was more like cross country skiing, in running
> shoes.

Emil Zatopek would be proud.

> "They say beer dehydrates you but it doesn't if you drink enough of
> it."

Hmmm. I thought that was a Doug F. quote.

Phil M.

Doug Freese

Dec 31, 2004, 1:21:33 PM12/31/04

"Phil M." <pm...@charter.net> wrote in message

>> "They say beer dehydrates you but it doesn't if you drink enough of
>> it."
>
> Hmmm. I thought that was a Doug F. quote.

It works well for me!!! :) Some of my non-drinking friends prefer N/A
beer. You get fluid with malts and hops and forego the alcohol.

One year they served Odule's and Ice cream at the end of race, thought I
died and went to heaven. The next year it was a 2 oz bag of chips and
some really foul tasting candy bar(I'm sure donated) plus more of the
same yummy green Gatorade that you almost threw up that last few miles.

-Doug

Phil M.

Dec 31, 2004, 4:49:31 PM12/31/04
Leafing through rec.running, I read a message from
shhhh_...@hotmail.com of 25 Dec 2004:

> Please join in and submit any information you have compiled
> regarding your year.

I'll submit some of it, but nobody would want to see all of it.

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

2,334 miles. 3,756 kilometers.

Here are my yearly totals since 1995:

1995 49 (Starting in November)
1996 1,105
1997 2,204
1998 2,131
1999 2,213
2000 665
2001 188
2002 0
2003 358 (started running again in August)
2004 2,334

After submitting this month's totals I'm on the 10,000+ mile list at
http://ice.he.net/~mmahoney/ultra/million.htm

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

Highest - 64 miles. 4 weeks pre-marathon.
Lowest - 11 miles. 1 week post-marathon.

> 3. What was your longest run?

26.2 miles. Steamtown Marathon.

Here are my other long training runs:
17 miles - 2
18 miles - 4
19 miles - 1
20 miles - 1
21 miles - 2

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

Five
1. May 31 - 10K 43:19 (Alpharetta Georgia)
2. July 11 - Half Marathon 2:54:25 (Sonoma California)
3. August 21 - 10K 42:31 (Centerville Georgia)
4. September 18 - 10K 42:35 (Sandy Springs Georgia)
5. October 10 - Marathon 3:29:22 (Forest City/Scranton Pennsylvania)

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Best - Jim Herrin Memorial Stampede 10K. Time - 42:31, 1st place in age
group (small race). Even though it was a tune-up for a bigger goal, the
marathon, it was the best WAVA performance (69%).

Worst - Wine Country Half Marathon. Time - 2:54:25. I was sick and walked
from mile 6 to the finish. Puked at the finish. Oh joy! I probably would
have DNF'd, but I had to walk to my car, which was at the finish.

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

16 mile trail run at Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park,
Kennesaw Georgia. Perfect weather, perfect trail. I dream of this run.

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

Nothing too crazy, since I live in Georgia. There were some very hot and
humid days in July/August. Specifically, an 11-mile tempo workout in 96F
temps.

> 8. What were your goals for 2004?

Get down to a weight of 165 lbs. I started the year at 183. I was at a
high of 245 in 2003. Train for and run a marathon. Qualify for Boston.

> Did you achieve them?

Yes.

> 9. What are your goals for 2005?

Train for and run the Boston Marathon. Keep running injury free. Get off
the streets and run more trails. Run a trail marathon and/or some other
trail events.

> 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

My sig has one of my favorite running-related quotes. I also like this
one (it isn't specifically running-related, but I like it):

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the
strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them
better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena,
whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly;
who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort
without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the
deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends
himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph
of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails
while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold
and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." -Theodore
Roosevelt

Phil M.

--
"What counts in battle is what you do once the pain sets in." -John
Short, South African coach.

joe positive

Dec 31, 2004, 5:59:44 PM12/31/04
> Please join in and submit any information you have compiled
> regarding your year.

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

2,684.9 miles

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

Highest - 83.67 miles
Lowest - 0 during 7 weeks when I was injured

> 3. What was your longest run?

26.2 miles, Florida Gulf Beaches Marathon

longest training run was 22.45 miles

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

16 - 10 5Ks, 1 10K, 1 15K, 1 20K, 2 half-marathons, 1 marathon.

I also entered (registered) the Chicago Marathon but did not run it.

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Best - Gate River Run 15K, March 13. Although this was a PR for me,
what made it great was that it was 3 weeks after my first marathon,
also my first shorter race in many months and I was going in with zero
speedwork, just my marathon base. I had no idea what to expect and
ended up with PRs at 10K and 15K. It was a blast, and I fell in love
with the distance.

Worst - Max Bayne Half-Marathon, Jan 4. I was overconfident, ran
poorly and came out of it with an IT band problem that almost kept me
out of the marathon I was training for.

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

Really nice 22+ miler in August with my (then) running partner. He
went on to greatness and I went on to be injured :-)

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

We had 4 hurricanes come through but I don't think I ran during any of
them.

> 8. What were your goals for 2004?

Run my first marathon, qualify for Boston, break 21 for 5K.

> Did you achieve them?

Yes.

> 9. What are your goals for 2005?

Recover completely from the stress fracture I developed this past
fall. Train for and run Boston. Get back to high mileage.

Since it's been a long while since I've tried to go fast, I don't have
any time goals yet. If I can ever get back where I was before I was
injured, I guess I'd say sub-19 5K, 40ish 10K, 1:02 15K, 1:31
half-marathon, 3:20 marathon. But that's a pipe dream now.

> 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

Wake up and smell the asphalt.

Karen
--
live! vicariously!

ultra...@webtv.net

Dec 31, 2004, 5:50:05 PM12/31/04
5195
only three days off this year
f you w

joe positive

Dec 31, 2004, 7:15:50 PM12/31/04

If it please the court, I would like to change my running-related
quote to

f you w

Karen

--
live! vicariously!

Phil M.

Dec 31, 2004, 7:20:39 PM12/31/04
Leafing through rec.running, I read a message from
kcoll...@SWENtampabayNO.rr.com of 31 Dec 2004:

> On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 14:50:05 -0800, ultra...@webtv.net wrote:
>
>>5195
>>only three days off this year
>>f you w
>
> If it please the court, I would like to change my running-related
> quote to
>
> f you w

noprob, but what does it mean?

SwStudio

Dec 31, 2004, 8:17:01 PM12/31/04
"Dan Stumpus" <dstump...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>I enjoyed reading your recap, Donovan.
>
> I also liked the Lydiard quotes. He was the *man* when I came up...
>
> With your 4:52, I think you've got a 35:xx 10k in you, one of these days.

I agree, but it's not a given. To put it in reverse, I ran 35:18 this
past summer but doubt I could run under 5:00 for the mile.

Still, his10k time is surely going down. I mean, when he ran his
best 5 mile race this year he could have gone under 36 minutes
just by slowing to 6:17 pace (from 5:41) for another 1.2 miles.

SwStudio

Dec 31, 2004, 8:21:05 PM12/31/04

> Leafing through rec.running, I read a message from
> kcoll...@SWENtampabayNO.rr.com of 31 Dec 2004:
>
>> On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 14:50:05 -0800, ultra...@webtv.net wrote:
>>
>>>5195
>>>only three days off this year
>>>f you w
>>
>> If it please the court, I would like to change my running-related
>> quote to
>>
>> f you w
>
> noprob, but what does it mean?

You're joking.

joe positive

Dec 31, 2004, 8:53:56 PM12/31/04
On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 00:20:39 GMT, "Phil M." <pm...@charter.net> wrote:

>Leafing through rec.running, I read a message from
>kcoll...@SWENtampabayNO.rr.com of 31 Dec 2004:
>
>> On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 14:50:05 -0800, ultra...@webtv.net wrote:
>>
>>>5195
>>>only three days off this year
>>>f you w
>>
>> If it please the court, I would like to change my running-related
>> quote to
>>
>> f you w
>
>noprob, but what does it mean?
>
>Phil M.

It means "on your left, mister president!"

Karen

--
live! vicariously!

Phil M.

Dec 31, 2004, 9:16:26 PM12/31/04
Leafing through rec.running, I read a message from
kcoll...@SWENtampabayNO.rr.com of 31 Dec 2004:

> On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 00:20:39 GMT, "Phil M." <pm...@charter.net> wrote:
>
>>Leafing through rec.running, I read a message from
>>kcoll...@SWENtampabayNO.rr.com of 31 Dec 2004:

>>> If it please the court, I would like to change my running-related
>>> quote to
>>>
>>> f you w
>>
>>noprob, but what does it mean?
>>
>>Phil M.
>
> It means "on your left, mister president!"

OK, then it's a compliment. Just pullin' your non-stress fractured leg. ;-)

Phil M.

Phil M.

Dec 31, 2004, 9:12:18 PM12/31/04
Leafing through rec.running, I read a message from
shhhh_...@hotmail.com of 31 Dec 2004:

> "Phil M." <pm...@charter.net> wrote in message
>> Leafing through rec.running, I read a message from
>> kcoll...@SWENtampabayNO.rr.com of 31 Dec 2004:

>>> If it please the court, I would like to change my running-related
>>> quote to
>>>
>>> f you w
>>
>> noprob, but what does it mean?
>

> You're joking.

;-)

Phil M.

Dan Stumpus

Jan 1, 2005, 1:45:45 AM1/1/05
SwStudio wrote:

Dan Stumpus wrote:

>> With your 4:52, I think you've got a 35:xx 10k in you, one of these
>> days.

> I agree, but it's not a given. To put it in reverse, I ran 35:18 this
> past summer but doubt I could run under 5:00 for the mile.

One way to find out...but not recommended. The mile is the most painful
distance, imo. Btw, the logical conclusion from your 35:18 is that you have
a 2:45-2:47 ish marathon in you. I recall running 2:44 when at that stage
in the 10k. Any plans to focus on the marathon?

> Still, his10k time is surely going down. I mean, when he ran his
> best 5 mile race this year he could have gone under 36 minutes
> just by slowing to 6:17 pace (from 5:41) for another 1.2 miles.

The gauntlet is down, Donovan!

tom_b...@yahoo.com

Jan 1, 2005, 8:28:54 AM1/1/05
SwStudio wrote:
> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

922 miles (most ever!)

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

high: 37 mi, low: 5 mi

> 3. What was your longest run?

~32 miles (50K trail race)

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

10 races:
1 10K (35:27)
3 10-mile (60:52 post-marathon recovery, 58:51, 57:12)
1 marathon (2:49:11)
1 half-mar (1:16:38? -- course was long)
1 5K (16:39)
1 8K XC (32:33)
1 50k trail race (7:00)
1 7 miler (39:17)

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?

best short race: 5k PR of 16:39 (Damien's Run for Recovery)
best medium race: 7 mile (Survivor Harbor 7) -- faster pace than 10K PR
best long race: first marathon (Virginia Creeper)

worst: Run through the grapevine 8K XC -- blew up early, suffered,
walked a lot

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

Absolutely! Big Schloss 50K. First ultra, first trail race, longest
run ever, beautiful weather, great fun out on the course, stung by a
wasp, faceplant onto a rock, camped out the night before and after,
huge drunken cookout after the race.

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

Nothing too bad, but did get to try out my carbide-tipped "Get-a-grip"
overshoes for the first time when running in Ohio over the holidays.
Temp was about 5 deg F.

> 8. What were your goals for 2004? Did you achieve them?

Main goal was to complete a marathon. Yes! Second goal was to PR in
the 10K. Didn't get this, mainly because I didn't plan ahead for a
goal 10K race when I was running well. But overall, 2004 was
definitely my best year for running ever. I finally got on a stable
plan of 2 runs per week, after a few years of one run about every 4-5
days.

> 9. What are your goals for 2005?

Do a second marathon, faster than the first (possibly 2:45?). Get that
10K PR. Do another trail ultra.

> 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

Nope. The only quotes I know come from people's sigs here on r.r.
Regards,
Tom

Doug Freese

Jan 1, 2005, 9:38:49 AM1/1/05

<ultra...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> 5195
> only three days off this year

So John, obviously the high mileage and only three days off suggests you
have great running stamina and I'll asssume you don't run through pain.

How much do you think the high miles helps your races, assuming you
still do some races??? What is a typical training week look like. Do you
run 14 miles a day or do 99 miles each Saturday?

With this kind of mileage I would expect you to be doing ultras. Hell,
you do twice the miles I do!

-Doug

Doug Freese

Jan 1, 2005, 9:42:39 AM1/1/05

> SwStudio wrote:
>
> Dan Stumpus wrote:
> The gauntlet is down, Donovan!

Drum roll!!!!!!!! ;) Dan, you're such an instigator. :-)

-Doug

jogger

Jan 1, 2005, 11:00:51 AM1/1/05

SwStudio wrote:

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

I started recording miles on July 31st- 632.

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

Too lazy to look :)

> 3. What was your longest run?

26.2 miles

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

I entered one.

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Only a worst- the DNS to the one race I entered due to injury. At least
the entry fee went to charity.

No memorable runs or goals or weather worth writing about in 2004.

Goal for 2005- to completely rehabilitate and be able to run without
fear again.

> 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

Not a "favorite", but the song on the radio that was playing in the last
mile of my 26.2 mile training run seemed written for me at the time :)
"Welcome to the fallout.
Welcome to resistance.
The tension is here-
Between who you are and who you *could* be.
Between how it is and how it *should* be.
I dare you to move, I dare you to move..."

-J

SwStudio

Jan 1, 2005, 11:32:36 AM1/1/05
>> SwStudio wrote:
> Dan Stumpus wrote:
>> I agree, but it's not a given. To put it in reverse, I ran 35:18 this
>> past summer but doubt I could run under 5:00 for the mile.
>
> One way to find out...but not recommended. The mile is the most painful
> distance, imo. Btw, the logical conclusion from your 35:18 is that you
> have
> a 2:45-2:47 ish marathon in you. I recall running 2:44 when at that stage
> in the 10k. Any plans to focus on the marathon?

I might do one in the spring since I'm building anyway for the
ATB30k in March. I think I'm good for a sub-2:50 but it would
take a bit more time to get to the range you mentioned.

>> Still, his10k time is surely going down. I mean, when he ran his
>> best 5 mile race this year he could have gone under 36 minutes
>> just by slowing to 6:17 pace (from 5:41) for another 1.2 miles.
>
> The gauntlet is down, Donovan!

bwahaha, no gauntlet! I just mentioned that because it's so weird
that two race times could be so different in apparent ability, yet so
close in distance.

Dot

Jan 1, 2005, 5:13:47 PM1/1/05
SwStudio wrote:

> Have a great & injury-free new year everyone!!!

Thanks. You, too - and that includes not losing more organs :)

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

Regular run: 99 hrs 354 mi /590 km - inc of about 50% from 2003

total snowshoe: 33 hrs 85 mi - ss hiking has been about same effort
level as easy run, so this is the relevant number for aerobic work.

SS running time: 16 hr 45 mi - relevant running TOL time as estimated
from ouija board [Guesstimating amount of running in the mostly-run
workouts (12 hr, 39 mi plus the more-walk-than-run workouts (21 hr, 46
mi). FWIW, some of the more-walk-than-run were just simply deep snow.
Choose between trying to run a few min in deep snow or power hike for
1-2 hr. Total volume is much higher for power hike.]

Total running = reg+ss = 115 hr, 399 mi (Obviously, I don't pay much
attention to achieving certain round numbers ;)

A lot of the increase in running is a result of less cross-training
(resulting in many fewer overall hours compared with 2 yr ago), less
field season, and summer miles and time being so much easier than winter
miles, esp. if I stay off the big hills. Also, I've gotten more
comfortable / better equipped for running trails in the dark, subzero
temps, snowshoe running, etc.

Trivia: approximately 45% of my log entries for 2004 were on "dry"
surfaces, 10% on wet or moist, 45% on/in some form of snow, ice, slush.

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

7-day period highest: 14 mi / 3.7 hr;
lowest: 0.1 mi
(didn't actually log it, but I did do some minimal running on stretch
breaks while driving to field locations - not to mention some hiking
hills. For field trips this year, I only had one 1-wk road trip plus
assorted smaller trips, so I didn't lose as much over summer as I
usually do = a *really* big difference in what I could do)

> 3. What was your longest run?

about 8 miles, 1000 ft, 2.2 hr
snowshoe long runs have been in the 4-4.5 mi range with hike up to 5.5
miles, about 800 ft. 1.7 hrs (2.4 for the hike, but I was wallowing in
fresh snow in open field = hill work without a hill)

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

4 - 2 snowshoe, 2 trail all in the 5-k "class" (I don't call it a
distance anymore since some runs advertise known 3-mi routes as 5k, some
might be 4.4 k, etc).

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?

The 4.4k version of the Tom Besh Hill race was probably my "best"
performance (my interpretation of "best") since it was different from
what I normally run but not too different - at least until the 3 inches
of slush was added. So it was kinda fun putting the pieces of training
together in a way I hadn't previously - kinda like a final exam. I had a
topo and course profile but had never been in the area before, so I had
to guess a little about energy management. Just ran low on gas on the
final uphill to finish - will work on that. Other races didn't provide
this level of challenge for me. I also hadn't trained at all for it,
since I just found out about it the Monday before the Sat race.

Run Like a Lynx was definitely the most beautiful race - my introduction
to Eagle River Nature Center and its Albert Loop Trail (about as flat
as they come, but beautiful trail through a floodplain and beaver pond
area). I suspect I'll see a lot more of those trails in the future,
including parts of the historic Iditarod Trail (not where the Iditarod
race is run).

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

Not one, but about half were special in some way. A few moments that
stand out include (chronological order)

(1) Albert Looop at Eagle River Nature Center - site of both my snowshoe
races, but esp. coming around the one corner in my first ss race and
seeing the beautiful snow-covered mountain smack in my face, or at least
seeming that way (no, we were running in the floodplain area and didn't
have to go up it)

(2) Approx. 2 hr training run starting on farm and proceeding through
adjacent state park area, where I was just chugging along enjoying the
scenery, birds on the lake far below, and smell of woodsmoke from nearby
camper's fire. Then I realized, that I was "running through the woods
for multiple hours", at least if you consider "multiple" to include 2 ;)
In view of my long term goal of "running through the woods for multiple
hours, easily", I'm still a long way from doing this for 13 hr or so and
a long way from doing it easily, but after the achilles and other issues
I'd had, this was the first glimpse where maybe even I could do this. I
was on the beginning edge of something I've been trying to do - get my
runs (run/walk) long enough that running could start acting like some of
my earlier activities like hiking, skiing, etc.

(3) moon over Matanuska Lake, covered with that first totally clear,
thin layer of ice in the fall, and the mountains and moon reflected in
it. May have been one of my first dark runs on single track. (usually
they're on farm roads or nordic ski trails since it takes a while to get
to single tracks from either of the 2 main trail heads.)

(4) downhill from Hatcher Pass (10%, 1.5 mi, 850 ft), esp. the last turn
where you face the historical mining town and it's surrounded by
mountains. (think Sound of Music, except I was going down)

(5) gentle (few pct) up/down hill enroute to Wishbone Lake - gosh, hills
come in "gentle" flavor. Definitely cool on the downhill - no
fear-factor aspect and could cruise along.

(6) Running in 3 inches of slush in a race with main hill a little
bigger than my normal ones but generally gentler. One that I wanted to
see if I could run the entire hill. Nope, it wasn't to be, but had a
heck of a ride down in the slush on the other side :)

(7) Snowshoe intervals in the dark (using headlight obviously).

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

Nothing new this year that I can think of, unless I count the slush, but
the weather had substantially improved by the time of the race. Methinks
I'm starting to get some of the gear issues under control, at least for
the duration runs I'm doing under weather that I've had. I do avoid the
70-100mph winds though - trees swaying in breeze, power lines doing
strange things, etc.

> 8. What were your goals for 2004? Did you achieve them?

"2002 I explored a lot and sampled different types of running events
2003 I learned about hills and what works/doesn't work for me; also
learned some cross-training and PT workouts to help hill running and
strengthen achilles

2004 see if we can put the pieces together in an injury-free program; do
a xc race in fall (didn't do any of these in 2002, so that's a type I
didn't sample in 2002)"

Sort of. No new injuries, but a couple lingering niggles. My goal race
was cancelled (bears), but my long runs were that long with almost that
much elevation gain (considering I'm not really sure of my elevation
change or the race's elevation change, I'm considering it close).

Did a xc race in the fall, although not one of the Tues night series
that I'd intended. So now I really don't see the difference
between a trail race and a xc race, other than they seem to call trail
races in the fall xc races. Or they're a hs race.

Wasn't a specific goal, but did my first (and 2nd) snowshoe running
race. So I added 2 new kinds of races this year - xc and ss.

> 9. What are your goals for 2005?

Increase run duration and length by about 50% and elevation by closer to
100% (details will depend on topography).

Increase the amount of running within my snowshoe runs (left vague to
accommodate varying terrain and snow conditions).

> 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

"Be very choosy upon what you set your heart - for if you want it
strongly enough, you'll get it" (Butchered from Ralph Waldo
Emerson, but I prefer the butchered version since it emphasizes the
"wanting" it.)

"Why the hurry when you are going to be out all day?"
-Bill LaDieu (a r.r response to a question about eating and drinking on
the run on trail runs)

"Know thy recovery." - this or a paraphrase, many times from many people.

I'm also a fan of the Teddy R. quote that Phil M. already posted.

Happy New Year everyone!

Dot

--

If we reach all our goals, we are not setting them high enough.
- Matt Carpenter

SwStudio

Jan 1, 2005, 7:56:28 PM1/1/05
"Dot" <dot.h@#duh?att.net> wrote in message

> SwStudio wrote:
>
>> Have a great & injury-free new year everyone!!!
>
> Thanks. You, too - and that includes not losing more organs :)

Thanks, Dot - I liked the quote you chose!

Donovan Rebbechi

Jan 1, 2005, 8:39:39 PM1/1/05
On 2005-01-01, SwStudio <shhhh_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> bwahaha, no gauntlet! I just mentioned that because it's so weird
> that two race times could be so different in apparent ability, yet so
> close in distance.

I think there are two factors at work -- one is that the 5 mile course is
a much faster course. The extra 1.2 miles throws in the larger hills in the
park. The other is that I've never quite got my act together and really got
in peak shape for a decent 10k race.

There's a 7 miler coming up in Jan. Course is pretty horrible, but I'm going
to be in good shape, so I might still improve on the 5:56 I did last time.

Regarding the mile -- I agree that it's not a great predictor of distance
performance. But with your distance times, at your age, I'd bet on you being
sub 5 (and probably by a good margin). But like Dan says, only one way to find
out.

SwStudio

Jan 1, 2005, 9:10:26 PM1/1/05
"Donovan Rebbechi" <ab...@aol.com> wrote in message

> I think there are two factors at work -- one is that the 5 mile course is
> a much faster course. The extra 1.2 miles throws in the larger hills in
> the
> park. The other is that I've never quite got my act together and really
> got
> in peak shape for a decent 10k race.

Understood - I am the same regarding the marathon.

> There's a 7 miler coming up in Jan. Course is pretty horrible, but I'm
> going
> to be in good shape, so I might still improve on the 5:56 I did last time.

I am sure you will - but keep looking for a flat fast one and you
will run under 36. Your race times on either side (HM & 5 mile)
show you clearly have it in you.

> Regarding the mile -- I agree that it's not a great predictor of distance
> performance. But with your distance times, at your age, I'd bet on you
> being
> sub 5 (and probably by a good margin). But like Dan says, only one way to
> find
> out.

I'd have to train specifically for it and that's not in the plan for
me right now. Still, it would be tough. I think you likely have a
more higher fast twich to slow twitch ratio than I. Your times
get slightly better as the distance decreases.

Brian Baresch

Jan 2, 2005, 2:18:47 AM1/2/05
>I agree, but it's not a given. To put it in reverse, I ran 35:18 this
>past summer but doubt I could run under 5:00 for the mile.

Just because I can, I'll observe that in HS I was under 5:00 for the
mile a couple of times (4:54 plus a 4:29 1500) but probably didn't
have a 10K under 36 in me -- there were few 10Ks back then, but I ran
a 6-mile time trial in 35 and change.

And I'm slow -- you wouldn't expect my mile times to be better than
their equivalents at longer distances. Just goes to show, it's
unpredictable case by case.

--
Brian P. Baresch
Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Professional editing and proofreading

If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston Churchill

Brian Baresch

Jan 2, 2005, 2:25:06 AM1/2/05
>>1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?
>
>By Dec. 31 I'll be just over 2,200.

Total ended up 2222.2. A weird enough number that I had to share. Of
course it doesn't include the runs I did in the first week post-NYCM
that I forgot to record so it was actually probably around 2230. But
the official record stands.

>>3. What was your longest run?
>

>22 miles.

... except of course for those two marathons I ran. Ooops.

>>5. What were your best and worst race performances?
>

>Worst, well, no really bad results that I can remember.

... except for a DNF early in the year when I was nursing a sore
adductor magnus. It flared up a quarter-mile into a tune-up 10K and I
bailed immediately. No use making it worse two weeks before a
marathon.

SwStudio

Jan 2, 2005, 6:06:38 AM1/2/05
"Brian Baresch" <brian...@peacenik.removethisstuff.net> wrote in message

> >I agree, but it's not a given. To put it in reverse, I ran 35:18 this
>>past summer but doubt I could run under 5:00 for the mile.
>
> Just because I can, I'll observe that in HS I was under 5:00 for the
> mile a couple of times (4:54 plus a 4:29 1500) but probably didn't
> have a 10K under 36 in me -- there were few 10Ks back then, but I ran
> a 6-mile time trial in 35 and change.

Well that makes sense though - you were in HS! This reminds
me of a 17-year old guy I found myself battling with one summer
in the final 100m of various 5k's. He would always outkick me.
However, one day we met up at a flat 10k with the intention of
trying to go under 36. He was doing great until about 6km, and
then by 8km he was done. Kids just have natural speed but no
endurance in general (I know there's exceptions).

> Just goes to show, it's unpredictable case by case.

That, I agree with.

Doug Freese

Jan 2, 2005, 7:13:59 AM1/2/05

> Well that makes sense though - you were in HS! This reminds
> me of a 17-year old guy I found myself battling with one summer
> in the final 100m of various 5k's. He would always outkick me.

> However, one day we met up at a flat 10k with the intention of
> trying to go under 36. He was doing great until about 6km, and
> then by 8km he was done. Kids just have natural speed but no
> endurance in general (I know there's exceptions).

In all fairness HS kids are not doing races any longer than 5k and their
training is geared specifically for 5k or less. I don't think their age
is the limiting factor but their training. If HSs were doing 10k's I'd
be willing to bet this kid if not a few others would dust you. ;)

-DougF

SwStudio

Jan 2, 2005, 7:28:03 AM1/2/05
"Doug Freese" <dfr...@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message >

> "SwStudio" <shhhh_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Well that makes sense though - you were in HS! This reminds
>> me of a 17-year old guy I found myself battling with one summer
>> in the final 100m of various 5k's. He would always outkick me.
>

>> However, one day we met up at a flat 10k with the intention of
>> trying to go under 36. He was doing great until about 6km, and
>> then by 8km he was done. Kids just have natural speed but no
>> endurance in general (I know there's exceptions).
>
> In all fairness HS kids are not doing races any longer than 5k and their
> training is geared specifically for 5k or less. I don't think their age
> is the limiting factor but their training. If HSs were doing 10k's I'd be
> willing to bet this kid if not a few others would dust you. ;)

Sure, you are probably right - but they would have to have been
at it for a little while anyway. We all know endurance gains come
slower than speed. I think that's the real reason here, the kids
usually don't have the patience to see results from mainly aerobic
stuff.

steve common

Jan 2, 2005, 7:47:56 AM1/2/05
gym gravity <jim_g...@my-deja.com> wrote:

>Are they the Morrocan brothers that came to do NY marathon a few years
>ago?

Yep. They're the gents.

>Have they returned completely to ultra running or have they tried
>any other marathons?

I don't know. I'll ask one of our team who is going out to run the
Zagora marathon which the Ahansals are organising in February, to
coincide with a big Berber festival.

Tom Wheeler

Jan 2, 2005, 7:43:26 AM1/2/05
at the state champ finals
there were like 120 h.s. girls.
a mere 5 K run through the allegiance some.
after 3 days of trials.
there were like 60 girl H.S.
so at the very last race some 25 were pick for school scholarships.
the race was started,
this girl made it across the finish line at say. 10:10...
she then ran straight to the trans am. and at a record time the 4
h.s. kids made it to" the officials field" near 4 or 5 miles away. they
said there was a 100 yards of grass flying from the finish line. were as
the 4 H.S kids were giving brownies and kool aid drinks too the
officials as there cell phones were being rung none stop of all the
mothers who children just cross the finish line. this girl who went to
the leader as he said 17.04 to a girl who ran across the line. she said
with a smile to the judge. would you like seconds, pouring the drink
and to say she got a scholarship.

at the start of the race.
her three brothers were in a brand new trans am at the finish line.
with a lot of brownies pan still warm. and a mix pictures and coolers of
kool aid. they wanted wine, or champagne, yet they were H.S. kids.

sometimes it takes a little more then 5 min miles to win.

this was a while back and I ride a bike for 10¢ cans to live on. and
50 years young.

Bike all year, Bikers are bad, Biker be had, Bikers are mad, Biker be
glad.

Tom Wheeler

Jan 2, 2005, 9:10:46 AM1/2/05
once I busted a 6 foot paint pole in 2 and gave a army leg man in my
face a bit of the blue as one half was in his throat and the other in
his bellied and said what about it now.
well the owner saw this and being the biggest man . well yelling all
done now.
I went to my area. and too my amuse. was a young girl woo said of mixy
thing on Sig Weaver. in alian movies.
brings it all back to see her on the ice scatted show yesterday when she
bends like her and in mind tells me of this memory.....on t.v........
gold winner athens gymnastic star........ to a balance beam....
thumbs up was the yelling man.
then again I pick up 10 ¢ cans. and 2667 miles for 2004....any white
trash man can do it. hell the gov and all do houston to dallas and not
evan got a sora sweat broken bone tendon or evan the thirst to limp from
the camera with a million dolled smile and say I came in 13 place right
behind the gov. before the tour d franc race.......photo make 500
million and then do a 125 mile training bike ride and be in front of the
t.v. camera all in a 24 hour time is too say......En F ding unireal.
event....to say texas makes um big.........un real in my opinion.
..... well Little lady gold metal girl....
The pie....is....to say..¼ inch....
mine is many "..."+inchs...cold here in North.if wasen't you
sorry.......
time to ride........est time.and all.......

Piedmont Donald

Jan 2, 2005, 10:38:36 AM1/2/05
> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?
680 miles / 1094 km vs 2003 (134 miles / 215 km)

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

41 miles / 0 miles

> 3. What was your longest run?

26.2 miles

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

18
5 - 10K
1 - 1 hour (time limit race)
7 - 5K
1 - 8K
1 - 4M
1 - 1M
1 - 10M
1 - marathon

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?

10K - 64 minutes
10K - 49 minutes

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

Training run for marathon - modestly hot, arrived covered in salt after 4
hour run - no pain, just a little sore

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

Windy, cold marathon

> 8. What were your goals for 2004? Did you achieve them?

Qualify for seeded placement in Peachtree Road Race - Yes, went from
unseeded to slowest seed group and after this year's race qualified for
second slowest seed group

> 9. What are your goals for 2005?

- Improve on either half marathon or marathon PRs (or both) - easy, since
I've only run one of each
- Run 1000 miles for the year (up from 680 miles for 2004) - shouldn't be
too hard
- Qualify for third slowest seed group in Peachtree Road Race (move up one
more group) - low probability, but it is my goal
- Keep my wife happy while doing above ;)

> 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

Any of the "I can die/sleep/pass out after the finish line" quotes

Piedmont Donald

Phil M.

Jan 2, 2005, 10:37:39 AM1/2/05
Leafing through rec.running, I read a message from brian_news2
@peacenik.removethisstuff.net of 02 Jan 2005:

>>>1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?
>>
>>By Dec. 31 I'll be just over 2,200.
>
> Total ended up 2222.2. A weird enough number that I had to share. Of
> course it doesn't include the runs I did in the first week post-NYCM
> that I forgot to record so it was actually probably around 2230. But
> the official record stands.
>
>>>3. What was your longest run?
>>
>>22 miles.
>
> ... except of course for those two marathons I ran. Ooops.

2222.2 total miles, 22 mile long run, 2 marathons.

>>>5. What were your best and worst race performances?
>>
>>Worst, well, no really bad results that I can remember.
>
> ... except for a DNF early in the year when I was nursing a sore
> adductor magnus. It flared up a quarter-mile into a tune-up 10K and I
> bailed immediately. No use making it worse two weeks before a
> marathon.

With that many races, you're entitled to DNF now and then. A very good year
Brian!

Phil M.

Paul Wilson

Jan 2, 2005, 10:52:30 AM1/2/05
In article <PzUBd.24947$6V1....@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,
sorry_invalid@too_much_spam.com says...

>- Qualify for third slowest seed group in Peachtree Road Race (move up one
>more group) - low probability, but it is my goal

I wish you wouldn't put it like that :-(

I prefer to think of it (subseeded) as the third FASTEST group.

And yeah, running a sub-42 10K is also my dream.

Brian Baresch

Jan 2, 2005, 12:20:54 PM1/2/05
>2222.2 total miles, 22 mile long run, 2 marathons.

Wow! Good catch!

>With that many races, you're entitled to DNF now and then. A very good year
>Brian!

Thanks, Phil!

Robert Grumbine

Jan 4, 2005, 3:10:40 PM1/4/05
In article <G6lzd.799$0y4...@read1.cgocable.net>,
SwStudio <shhhh_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Have a great & injury-free new year everyone!!!

Amen!

>1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

Several, but not over 1000.

>2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

High was probably 35-40 km, low was a distressing number of
zeroes.

>3. What was your longest run?

Hm, do we count my longest continuous run, which was about 10 miles,
or the 22 miles I ran in 24 hours as part of a relay?

>4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

24 hour relay, Wright stuff 5k, Run through the Grapevine 8k XC,
Outback 8k, Run for Kathy 5k, Park Forest Scenic 10 (miles), Pike's
Peek 10k (note spelling), ... maybe one or two others.

>5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Wright Stuff was the only good racing performance for normal
races, Grapevine was the only XC race, but went well.

The 24 hour relay was an excellent performance, I'll claim on
the basis of no comparatives. I did actually finish the thing,
and averaged a very consistent 20 seconds/mile faster than I
have run a 5k in in 2-3 years. One of the early miles was the fastest
mile I'd run in over 2 years (and still is).

>6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

24 hour relay, racing the Grapevine on guts and trickery.

>7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

Starting the 24 hour relay in the rain, continuing in it
for 8 hours, and having the forecast at start time being for
many inches of rain and sustained winds over 30 mph. We missed
the rain and sustained wind. But I did splash through the first
8 miles of the race.

>8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?
>9. What are your goals for 2004?

Didn't do so well with my plans for '04. For '05, I'm going to
(try to) continue working on 'stay healthy and get out more often'.
'04 I'd included some time/pace/distance-type goals. I'm dropping
that nonsense for now.

--
Robert Grumbine http://www.radix.net/~bobg/ Science faqs and amateur activities notes and links.
Sagredo (Galileo Galilei) "You present these recondite matters with too much

Robert Grumbine

Jan 4, 2005, 3:43:12 PM1/4/05
In article <1104336828.7...@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
rick++ <ric...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I was on pace for a 26th 2,000+ mile year, but injured my knee
>in April. Did recover more or less by the end of the year,
>but looking at a more modest 1,300 miles for 2005.

Is that from the injury limiting your ability to run the higher
mileages you traditionally did? Or are you deciding on backing
off some for other reasons?

Glad to hear that you're mostly recovered. Good luck on 2005.

jo...@remove-deez-words.hotmail.com.edu

Jan 7, 2005, 5:23:17 PM1/7/05
SwStudio <shhhh_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings, rec.runners!

> This marks the third time I have had the pleasure to post the
> season-ending Training Year thread. As always, thanks to
> everyone who takes part in both this and the weekly verson.

Thanks for maintaining the thread, David.

> Please join in and submit any information you have compiled
> regarding your year. You don't have to answer every question.

Posting after a long time. Haven't run at all for over a month.
Anyway, here goes:

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

Just under 900 miles (Don't have the log in front of me.)

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

Highest - 30
Lowest - 0 (Lots of them)

> 3. What was your longest run?

10 miles

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

3 5K's and 1 10K.

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?

5K - 19:55
5K - 22:XX

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

A few, especially one in a light drizzle.

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

Nothing really that crazy. Just light rain.

> 8. What were your goals for 2004? Did you achieve them?

Wanted to do 1000 miles - Did not. Just under 900.

But it's a big improvement over the last few year.
It was around 545 miles in 2003, 350 in 2002, 100 in 2001.

Wanted to maintain a 20 mpw base. Succeeded to some extent.

A sub-19 5K and a sub-5 mile. Didn't get either.

> 9. What are your goals for 2005?

1000 miles, a sub-19 5K, and a sub-5 mile.

> 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

Not really. But I like quite a few quotes here in r.r.

jobs

SwStudio

Jan 7, 2005, 7:02:03 PM1/7/05
<jo...@remove-deez-words.hotmail.com.edu> wrote in message

> SwStudio <shhhh_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Greetings, rec.runners!
>
>> This marks the third time I have had the pleasure to post the
>> season-ending Training Year thread. As always, thanks to
>> everyone who takes part in both this and the weekly verson.
>
> Thanks for maintaining the thread, David.

No problem! Thanks for contributing (when you can).

>> 9. What are your goals for 2005?
>
> 1000 miles, a sub-19 5K, and a sub-5 mile.

Holy crap! You must be one fast guy when the distances
shorten. I could maybe - just maybe - dip under the five
minute mark for the mile, but my half marathon pace is
about 18:40 per 5k A true example of muscle twitch ratios
at work, I think!

jo...@remove-deez-words.hotmail.com.edu

Jan 8, 2005, 9:09:01 PM1/8/05
SwStudio <shhhh_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> <jo...@remove-deez-words.hotmail.com.edu> wrote in message

> > 1000 miles, a sub-19 5K, and a sub-5 mile.

> Holy crap! You must be one fast guy when the distances
> shorten. I could maybe - just maybe - dip under the five
> minute mark for the mile, but my half marathon pace is
> about 18:40 per 5k A true example of muscle twitch ratios
> at work, I think!

I do feel faster at shorter distances. But that 5 min mile
is still a goal. Not reality yet.

I don't really have the muscle mass/bulk or the money to be
a BALCO customer in order to be really good at sprints (100m/200m).
I wonder if they have subsidized support.

jobs

It is loading more messages.