CP is running out of room!

ndd...@vms.cis.pitt.edu

Mar 29, 1994, 5:56:11 PM3/29/94

Would someone plese tell me where they have built the Raptor at Cedar
Po!nt? The park seems to be running out of room. I would suggest moving the
parking lot onto the mainland, and like the Disney parks, run several Monorails
to the park.

ndd...@vms.cis.pitt.edu

Mar 29, 1994, 6:01:34 PM3/29/94

Someone please tell me where they built the Raptor at Cedar Po!nt?
CP seems to be running out of room! What did they take down to build the
Raptor? CP needs to move the parking lot onto the mainland and run monorails
to the park, in exchange for more land to build fun on!

Victoria M Althoff

Mar 30, 1994, 12:30:00 AM3/30/94
(Q: Where is the Raptor?)
The Raptor sits on land vacated by the Mill Race, Midway Carousel, Calypso,
catered picnic area, and half of the Turnpike Cars. As I understand it, the
30-year-old Mill Race has been removed, the Midway Carousel and the Calypso
have been relocated, and the Turnpike Cars have been reconfigured--one track
was sent to Dorney Park, the other track was re-routed to accommodate the
coaster.

(RE: CP is running out of room!)
Actually, Cedar Point has some room to spare. It's a 365 acre resort, all told
including parking and hotels and stuff. The ride pieces aren't exactly stacked
on top of each other yet. Look at Kennywood. There's a park that is out of
room. Cedar Point has a lot of space in it; it just doesn't have big chunks of
undeveloped land. There is a lot of space give over to open plazas, which
could be used. The few remaining spin-N-barf rides could, in some cases, be
relocated to open up space for a larger attraction--this is what they did to
install Raptor. And in truth, Raptor could probably have been installed
elsewhere in the park; say, along the Frontier Trail, on the Giant Wheel plaza,
possibly in the newly-created Gemini parking lot, or even along the Main or
Corkscreww midways. They could have moved the kiddie rides from the space
across from Gemini, put the Himalaya across from the Corkscrew, and put Raptor
across from Gemini, surrounding the Jr. Gemini. CP chose to put Raptor in the
front of the park (IMHO) in order to (a) consolidate the water-rides in a
single area of the park (White-Water Landing, Thunder Canyon, Snake River
Falls); (b) to give a much-needed facelift to part of the main midway, an area
which has had precious little attention in the past ten years.
As for relocating parking on the mainland, I think there has been lots of
speculation that CP has been obtaining land off the peninsula for its own
expansion. And as the park grows, it may be necessary to move parking and
extend the park back towards Biemiller's Cove (where causeway meets peninsula).
But for the moment, this is not yet necessary; it would involve a HUGE capital
expenditure on a transit system, when there are other areas where the park
prefers to spend large sums of money ($11M for Raptor, for example).

For the moment, let me point out areas where there is 'vacant' land on the
peninsula, though--
Picnic areas near park entrance. The old bathhouse adjacent Disaster
Transport. A small ride could fit at the end of the midway near Matterhorn and
Scrambler. Or in the middle of the midway extension, between Wildcat and Iron
Dragon. The Giant Wheel plaza. The Frontier Trail (though I hate to mention
it) still has some undeveloped land. There is an 'island' between the lagoons
(actually two, but one is covered with Iron Dragon). Inside the Mean Streak
structure (a wood coaster could go back there, sort of like the Elitch Gardens
combo!). Part of the Camper Village. Along the Corkscrew midway.
Anyway, I think you should get my point.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

Pete Babic

Mar 30, 1994, 9:15:06 AM3/30/94

In a previous article, valt...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Victoria M Althoff) says:

>For the moment, let me point out areas where there is 'vacant' land on the
>peninsula, though--
>Picnic areas near park entrance. The old bathhouse adjacent Disaster
>Transport. A small ride could fit at the end of the midway near Matterhorn and
>Scrambler. Or in the middle of the midway extension, between Wildcat and Iron
>Dragon. The Giant Wheel plaza. The Frontier Trail (though I hate to mention
>it) still has some undeveloped land. There is an 'island' between the lagoons
>(actually two, but one is covered with Iron Dragon). Inside the Mean Streak
>structure (a wood coaster could go back there, sort of like the Elitch Gardens
>combo!). Part of the Camper Village. Along the Corkscrew midway.
>Anyway, I think you should get my point.

Also, CP bought the old Coast Guard Station at the tip of the penninsula a
number of years ago. This was the only land on the penninsula they didn't own
and provides a nice area for expansion.

--
Pete Babic - p...@po.cwru.edu |*| RAPTOR flies May 7, 1994
Library Information Technologies |*|

csc238...@emuvax.emich.edu

Mar 30, 1994, 9:47:56 PM3/30/94
About the relocating of the carousel and calypso for the Raptor, where exactly
are they putting the carousel and the calypso? Also, how close does the
Raptor come to the Blue Streak/pirate ride/Silver dollar and the Cinema? Does
it stretch into the midway and down to the Corkscrew/Iron Dragon/sky ride area?

Wondering about exact locations,

Scott W. Short
CSC238...@emuvax.emich.edu
ho...@cyberspace.org

Victoria M Althoff

Apr 1, 1994, 1:15:51 AM4/1/94
So, the Calypso is going in essentially where the Satellite Jets used to be?

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
(it's too late to ramble!)

Walt Schmidt 814-862-6696

Apr 1, 1994, 11:53:32 AM4/1/94
In article <2nge6n$i...@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>,

valt...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Victoria M Althoff) says:

>So, the Calypso is going in essentially where the Satellite Jets used to be?

That's exactly where it's going.

Walt Schmidt wjs...@psuvm.psu.edu
Cedar Po!nt Newsletter Opening Day: May 7

larry....@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2013, 3:59:34 PM11/8/13
This was 19 years ago...

surfd...@aol.com

Nov 9, 2013, 7:14:37 AM11/9/13
And they still haven't run out of room. Well, maybe they have.... They did remove a lot to build Gatekeeper.... I wonder if that was their only option?

skiguy777

Nov 9, 2013, 7:58:55 PM11/9/13
No, maintenance costs are the reason they scrap old rides. CP has a bunch of room. I've looked at other parks (the wiki), and CP has a bunch of room. There's a bunch of major parks smaller than them, many land locked. CP is land locked too, but at least they plant grass under their new rides that extend out over the parking lot.

I agree they could move the parking lot off site and run shuttles. I've been screaming about this for a long time regarding their hotels at the entrance of the causeway (Breakers Express). It would be nice to have a shuttle like Disney so I could drink a few beers and visit the park.

But let's move on. CP understands that rides have a life cycle, the maintenance costs become too much, and they scrap them for something better.

Dave Althoff, Jr.

Nov 11, 2013, 9:24:39 PM11/11/13
larry....@gmail.com wrote:
That was 19 years ago, and I am still here...

(Victoria is my Mom. She had Usenet access, I did not back then.)

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
/X\ _ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\__/XXXXX\/XXXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\_/XXX\_/\_/XXXXXX
NEW! When emailing this account, include the 'canonical magic word' in
the body of your message for a quicker response.

TC10K

Nov 12, 2013, 8:03:02 AM11/12/13
When CP gets to be like Blackpool, then I'll start wondering if they need to move parking off-site...

I'm guessing it might take them another 100 yrs or so to get that condensed, though.