Viands banned from Universal Orlando?

Thomas

Oct 23, 2008, 12:32:21 PM10/23/08
From the Orlando Sentinel:
> Universal bans hundreds of underage drinkers during Horror Nights
>
> Scott Powers | Sentinel Staff Writer
> October 23, 2008
>
> Not one sip.
>
> That's Universal Orlando's policy toward underage drinking -- a zero-tolerance stance that is getting hundreds of people banned from the resort this month during its annual Halloween Horror Nights festival, which takes place evenings every weekend.
>
> Robert Viands of Plantation learned the hard way Saturday after he bought an alcoholic "Jell-O shot" from a roaming vendor -- then let his 17-year-old daughter, Ashley, have a taste. He said the two of them and his daughter's friend, Sergio Jacas, 18, were quickly escorted out of the park and given trespass warnings that prevent their return.

GodsOnSafari

Oct 23, 2008, 1:18:20 PM10/23/08
> > Robert Viands of Plantation learned the hard way Saturday after he bought an alcoholic "Jell-O shot" from a roaming vendor -- then let his 17-year-old daughter, Ashley, have a taste. He said the two of them and his daughter's friend, Sergio Jacas, 18, were quickly escorted out of the park and given trespass warnings that prevent their return.- Hide quoted text -

ROFL

edandkasey

Oct 23, 2008, 4:04:00 PM10/23/08
Duh, yeah...

FAF

"GodsOnSafari" <GodsOn...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Keith Hopkins

Oct 23, 2008, 4:23:04 PM10/23/08
"Thomas" <none@hotmailDOTcom> wrote in message

> From the Orlando Sentinel:
>> Universal bans hundreds of underage drinkers during Horror Nights
>>
>> Robert Viands of Plantation learned the hard way Saturday after he
>> bought an alcoholic "Jell-O shot" from a roaming vendor -- then let
>> his 17-year-old daughter, Ashley, have a taste. He said the two of
>> them and his daughter's friend, Sergio Jacas, 18, were quickly
>> escorted out of the park and given trespass warnings that prevent
>> their return.

Is this an appropriate time to trot out the "fat, drunk and stupid"
line again?

--
Keith Hopkins
suss...@sssssssssgmail.ssssssssscom

Keith Hopkins

Oct 23, 2008, 4:31:38 PM10/23/08
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/custom/tourism/orl-universal2308oct23,0,2330921.story

Good lord. Look at this part:

*****
Normally, a person is banished for one year. Viands said he was afraid
he, his daughter and Jacas were about to be arrested Saturday night,
so he refused to cooperate fully -- and wound up being banned from the
resort for life.

He said he's writing to Universal higher-ups to appeal the lifetime
ban, but he also complained that even the one-year banishment imposed
on his daughter and Jacas was too much, considering all that happened
was that he let his own daughter taste his drink.

"It's a lose-lose for all involved. We go there all the time, stay in
the hotels, spend money. We're not bad people. They're kicking out
good people as well as the bad," Viands said. "It's not like we're
teenagers who would go there and get drunk and start a fight."

*****

What the hell, man?

Josh Wozny

Oct 23, 2008, 5:35:55 PM10/23/08
My mind is officially blown.

I really can't think of anything witty to say here.

BaSSiStiSt

Oct 23, 2008, 6:51:38 PM10/23/08
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/custom/tourism/orl-universal2308oct23,0,2330921.story

More details in the article...along with an extra (delicious) bonus quote
from Tipsy McStagger in the article in re: trespassing. At least parking in
church parking lots isn't trespassing! Methinks a little more pregaming
might have avoided this mishap...

RRC...I LOVE THIS PLACE!

ChrisCoaster

Oct 23, 2008, 7:27:04 PM10/23/08
On Oct 23, 5:35 pm, Josh Wozny <josh.wo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My mind is officially blown.
>
> I really can't think of anything witty to say here.
_____________________
It's really simple. Abolish all drinking laws - except those
pertaining to operation of equipment, including but not limited to
motor vehicles. Is this a country or a CONVENT? Who's running the
ship here?

Stop making drinking a CRIME and the urge to go out and do it just for
the sake of skirting the law will subside dramatically! I don't even
DRINK and I still think this is ridiculous.

-ChrisCoaster
"A law is simply a wall that some people will simply attempt to climb
over - and most will succeed."

ChrisCoaster

Oct 23, 2008, 7:33:31 PM10/23/08
On Oct 23, 6:51 pm, "BaSSiStiSt" <dreadpirateb...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:
> http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/custom/tourism/orl-universal2...

> from Tipsy McStagger in the article in re: >

"Tipsy McStagger" - LSHISMP!!!!!!

8D

AirtimeJunkie

Oct 23, 2008, 9:57:50 PM10/23/08
On Oct 23, 9:32�am, Thomas <none@hotmailDOTcom> wrote:
> �From the Orlando Sentinel:
> > Robert Viands of Plantation learned the hard way Saturday after he bought an alcoholic "Jell-O shot" from a roaming vendor -- then let his 17-year-old daughter, Ashley, have a taste. He said the two of them and his daughter's friend, Sergio Jacas, 18, were quickly escorted out of the park and given trespass warnings that prevent their return.- Hide quoted text -

Tsk tsk tsk. That lifetime ban has to suck. I suppose he'll really
be hitting the bottle now.

Andrew Brawley

Oct 23, 2008, 10:06:30 PM10/23/08
Ahhhhhh, so sweet.

Justice in all her poetic glory!

Mufassa

Oct 23, 2008, 10:06:46 PM10/23/08
> be hitting the bottle now.- Hide quoted text -

I never underestimate the stupidity of those who allow minors to
drink.
signed
Mr Van Wau Wau

steelforce

Oct 23, 2008, 10:14:52 PM10/23/08
On Oct 23, 12:32�pm, Thomas <none@hotmailDOTcom> wrote:
> �From the Orlando Sentinel:

> > Robert Viands of Plantation learned the hard way Saturday after he bought an alcoholic "Jell-O shot" from a roaming vendor -- then let his 17-year-old daughter, Ashley, have a taste. He said the two of them and his daughter's friend, Sergio Jacas, 18, were quickly escorted out of the park and given trespass warnings that prevent their return.-

Robert, hopefully now you will realize that you truly need help. When
you're escorted from a park in this manner truly alcohol has seriously
impacted your life, AND those of the people around you.

There are many warning signs of alcoholism. Here are just a few:

Do you drink alone?
Do you lie about the amount of alcohol you consume?
Has your tolerance increases?
Do you suffer from alcohol-related medical conditions?
Do you ever drink in the morning to get over a hangover?
Do you drink more than you used to?
Have you blacked out while drinking?
Do you drink to calm your nerves or relax?
Have you been involved in alcohol-related and/or legal problems?
Is alcohol affecting your relationship to a loved one or friend?

If you answered yes to even one of these questions there is a strong
indication that you have a drinking problem.

There is help for you...

AA 12 Steps for recovery from alcoholism

1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had
become unmanageable.

2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore
us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of
God as we understood Him.

4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

5. Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact
nature of our wrongs.

6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of
character.

7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to
make amends to them all.

9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to
do so would injure them or others.

10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong
promptly admitted it.

11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious
contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of
His will for us and the power to carry that out.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we
tried to carry this message to alcoholics and to practice these
principles in all our affairs.

Go to an AA meeting Robert, your life will truly be changed for the
better!

SAM

steelforce

Oct 23, 2008, 10:17:27 PM10/23/08
On Oct 23, 4:31�pm, "Keith Hopkins"
<sussk...@sssssssssgmail.ssssssssscom> wrote:
> http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/custom/tourism/orl-universal2...

> Good lord. �Look at this part:
>
> *****
> Normally, a person is banished for one year. Viands said he was afraid
> he, his daughter and Jacas were about to be arrested Saturday night,
> so he refused to cooperate fully -- and wound up being banned from the
> resort for life.
>
> He said he's writing to Universal higher-ups to appeal the lifetime
> ban, but he also complained that even the one-year banishment imposed
> on his daughter and Jacas was too much, considering all that happened
> was that he let his own daughter taste his drink.
>
> "It's a lose-lose for all involved. We go there all the time, stay in
> the hotels, spend money. We're not bad people. They're kicking out
> good people as well as the bad," Viands said. "It's not like we're
> teenagers who would go there and get drunk and start a fight."

Denial is not a river in Egypt!

Andrew Brawley

Oct 23, 2008, 10:19:17 PM10/23/08

"Keith Hopkins" <suss...@sssssssssgmail.ssssssssscom> wrote in message

> http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/custom/tourism/orl-universal2308oct23,0,2330921.story

> "It's a lose-lose for all involved. We go there all the time, stay in the
> hotels, spend money. We're not bad people. They're kicking out good people
> as well as the bad," Viands said. "It's not like we're teenagers who would
> go there and get drunk and start a fight."

Yeah, yeah, yeah.... Take *that* to the "suits", Mr. T McS!

CoasterFanatic

Oct 24, 2008, 8:57:05 AM10/24/08
I am not a Viands fan in the slightest, but even I think that this
might be a little excessive. I remember many times where curiosity got
the better of me and I asked for a little sip of some beverage that my
father (or some other family member) was partaking of. Unless the
minor had sole possession of the drink and repeatedly drank from it,
lets call this what it is ... ridiculous.

I understand that underage drinking is probably a huge problem at HHN,
but these were two "minors" that were being escorted by their legal
guardian around the park.

- Ted

steelforce

Oct 24, 2008, 9:44:33 AM10/24/08

He must have gone way overboard in his resistance to the initial
onstance to cause a lifetime ban....

Rastus O'Ginga

Oct 24, 2008, 12:35:58 PM10/24/08

Exactly. Yeah, he's a dumbass, but this is quite ridiculous, and such
a wasteful use of law enforcement. So they catch a few dozen underage
drinkers, yet probably hundreds of folks roared out of teh parking
garage, driving like complete dicks, and legally drunk.

I recall being at teh Ren Faire a few years ago and my son asking to
try my cup of mead. I let him have a little sip of stuff at home, so
alcohol isn't some insanely forbidden fruit that he's dying to try. I
didn't let him try any, and this shows why. But, I do wonder how the
grounds of this. Are the cops going to be at churches on Sunday,
hauling 20 year-olds away for drinking wine?

BUt, I'll be surprised if this keeps Viands away. It wouldn't keep me
away. If he shows up at the gate and buys tickets with cash, I would
put the odds of him being caught on property at pretty damn slim.

This whole article seems surreal. I mean, really, what are the odds?
Is Scott Powers a coaster enthusiast? And isn't it even borderline
illegal to say "Robert Viands - who provided alcohol to a minor",
unless Viands agreed to the story? Hell, he could get fired for
that. They even say what the name of his MINOR daughter is. NOt to
mention, they say the vast majority of offenders were white. Something
smells here.

-R

Buttercup

Oct 24, 2008, 4:13:56 PM10/24/08
On Oct 24, 8:57 am, CoasterFanatic <tedcromw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am not a Viands fan in the slightest, but even I think that this
> might be a little excessive.

It's not excessive at all when you realize that Universal could've
lost their liquor license. Do you have any idea how much of their
profit comes from the sales of alcohol.

Buttercup

Oct 24, 2008, 4:20:44 PM10/24/08
On Oct 24, 12:35 pm, "Rastus O'Ginga" <rast...@kingwoodcable.net>
wrote:

> Exactly.  Yeah, he's a dumbass, but this is quite ridiculous, and such
> a wasteful use of law enforcement.

He probly shoulda left the kids in the car. :P

Rastus O'Ginga

Oct 24, 2008, 5:25:55 PM10/24/08

Do you have any idea how severely Universal would have to be violating
laws to have that license revoked? The state and county have a vested
interest to have Universal keep that license. THey'd have to be
letting 12 year olds take jello shots off of babes' chests to lose
that lucrative license.

You realize driving 90+ miles an hour in Indiana is against the law
too, right?

People in glass houses....

-R

Todd Long

Oct 24, 2008, 5:35:55 PM10/24/08
>  From the Orlando Sentinel:

> > Robert Viands of Plantation learned the hard way Saturday after he bought an alcoholic "Jell-O shot" from a roaming vendor -- then let his 17-year-old daughter, Ashley, have a taste. He said the two of them and his daughter's friend, Sergio Jacas, 18, were quickly escorted out of the park and given trespass warnings that prevent their return.

Gotta dust this one off a bit...

Fuckin' idiot!

Todd

A few of my rave reviews...
"what an Idoit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"- Papaw...@aol.com 3/27/04

"Sometimes I wonder if some of you are actually
capable of anything other than smart remarks,
flamewars, and comedy............" - Sam M. 5/3/04

"Sadly, I don't think you ever will grow up."
- Daniel W Rouse Jr. 5/4/04

"40 never looked so good!" - Mamoosh 4/8/05

"... dumbass!" - Kevin D. 5/5/05

"I dunno, but you don't add anything to the group
but flames." - Rob Viands 5/8/05

"...your all stupid and live in the same world that
ended." - Steve R Neel 5/26/05

"...vulgar insect he is." - Scooby 6/16/05

"...you guys are mean" - tvdud...@gmail.com 4/16/06

"Your sig is longer than the post." - Rob Viands 5/4/06

"That guy must be real angry to be treatin' that ride like that." -
Hillbilly teen at Camden Park while I was on the flying scooters
9/6/08

darkr...@yahoo.com

Oct 24, 2008, 5:53:37 PM10/24/08
What is Florida law on drinking? Some state's (Ohio for sure) allow a
parent, legal guardian or spouse of legal age) to give alcohol to a
the underage person. If Florida is similar, the guy could have been
within his rights. He could not have given alcohol to his child's
friend though.

Rick

Paul

Oct 24, 2008, 6:31:15 PM10/24/08
I think those laws only apply when you are in a private residence. When you
are on the grounds of a licensed establishment (such as Universal), the
drinking age laws prevail.

And don't think that the state wont suspend Universal's license. Here in
Toronto, the Air Canada Centre (arena) had its' license suspended for
serving someone under 19 years of age (19 is the drinking age here). They
made sure that the suspension took place during "busy" season as to maximize
the penalty, which was, I believe, in December, when the Leafs and Raptors
are playing in the facility.

-Paul

<darkr...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

NoGodForMe

Oct 24, 2008, 8:59:41 PM10/24/08
steelforce wrote:
> On Oct 23, 12:32�pm, Thomas <none@hotmailDOTcom> wrote:
>> �From the Orlando Sentinel:
>
>>> Robert Viands of Plantation learned the hard way Saturday after he bought an alcoholic "Jell-O shot" from a roaming vendor -- then let his 17-year-old daughter, Ashley, have a taste. He said the two of them and his daughter's friend, Sergio Jacas, 18, were quickly escorted out of the park and given trespass warnings that prevent their return.-
>
> Robert, hopefully now you will realize that you truly need help. When
> you're escorted from a park in this manner truly alcohol has seriously
> impacted your life, AND those of the people around you.
>

> SAM
Thanks Sam.

I wasn't whacked that night, we had just eaten at Mythos.

I'm not going to tell exactly how the bust went down, but I wasn't drunk
when it happened. It was a simple mistake.

What happened was regrettable. Hind site is 20/20.

We basically got caught in a fish net.

On the night we visited, 127 people got a trespass warning. I was the
only one who got indefinite. The reason why is because I didn't want
to talk. Ever seen those videos on YouTube that say, "Don't Talk To
Cops?" Just search YouTube for that term and you'll find it. There's
two videos that run for 30 minutes that explain it, worth watching.

DON'T TALK TO COPS.

The investigator got mad when I said I didn't want to talk and had an
attitude. Basically, the investigators work for Universal, but they
also have Orlando Police back there. He could have been pissed off
from the person before me, who knows. I called him on Wednesday and
cleared the air. He didn't remember who I was until we talked for a
while. He said, "I see so many faces." Get it? It's like an
assembly line. A team brings the people behind the wall, and they're
either arrested or issued a trespass warning.

But get this, not only did they bust 127 people that night, but 67
during the day. And just like me, many drove from far away to attend
(destination travelers).

Do the math, this is about 175 people a day during HHN, and 67 or so any
other day of the week. This is not some random check, but a full blown
sting operation and they've been doing it for over 6 weeks now. That's
when the lady near the bottom of the story was busted, 6 weeks ago, she
flipped out and was arrested.

For those going, the processing area at USF is to the right between the
bathrooms and T2 near the front of the park. They've got card tables
and the whole area is lit up. They have a team of people hanging out
near Shrek and Jimmy Neutron. They look for underage drinkers, walk
up, and ask for ID. From there they escort the people behind a wall
next to T2 and the bathrooms. After that the warnings are written up,
take away any tickets/passes, and a ride to the escalator leading to the
parking garage.

They're also hanging out near Margaritaville during the day since they
sell those slushie drinks. Person buys a slushie drink, hands it to
their kid to take a sip, busted.

If it's happening in Orlando I imagine it's happening at all the parks.

The economy is tuff, and think about this, they're basically banning 175
people a day for 1 year. Do the math. You won't need an express pass
for HHN next year. There won't be any people left to attend at this
rate.

This reminds me of Ft. Lauderdale. Used to be the Spring Break capital
of the world. Then they busted everyone and scared them off. Now you
read articles that Ft. Lauderdale is broke, doesn't have an air show any
more, and only survives from rich people with boats. Universal
doesn't have anything else to fall back on. When people stop coming,
that's it, they lose out. The executives at the top won't care, they
still get 5 vacation homes and million dollar bonuses, but it's
definitely going to hurt everyone down the line.

Buttercup

Oct 24, 2008, 9:59:00 PM10/24/08
On Oct 24, 5:25 pm, "Rastus O'Ginga" <rast...@kingwoodcable.net>
wrote:

> Do you have any idea how severely Universal would have to be violating

> laws to have that license revoked?  The state and county have a vested
> interest to have Universal keep that license.  THey'd have to be
> letting 12 year olds take jello shots off of babes' chests to lose
> that lucrative license.
>
> You realize driving 90+ miles an hour in Indiana is against the law
> too, right?
>
> People in glass houses....
>
> -R

Well, other than having the wrong driver in the wrong state and
knowing nothing about liquor laws-YOU'RE SPOT ON!

Dave Althoff, Jr.

Oct 25, 2008, 12:14:55 AM10/25/08
ChrisCoaster <ckoz...@snet.net> wrote:

: On Oct 23, 5:35 pm, Josh Wozny <josh.wo...@gmail.com> wrote:
: > My mind is officially blown.
: >
: > I really can't think of anything witty to say here.
: _____________________
:
: Stop making drinking a CRIME and the urge to go out and do it just for
: the sake of skirting the law will subside dramatically! I don't even
: DRINK and I still think this is ridiculous.

Speaking only for myself, but with an opinion shaped by employment at a
University...

If we must have a legal drinking age, let's make the legal drinking age
no higher than 14. Would solve a lot of unintended problems.

--Dave Althoff, Jr. <-- who *usually* doesn't drink, but who is not
a 'teetotaller'...
/X\ _ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\__/XXXXX\/XXXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\_/XXX\_/\_/XXXXXX
NEW! When emailing this account, include the 'canonical magic word' in
the body of your message for a quicker response.

darkr...@yahoo.com

Oct 25, 2008, 10:15:42 AM10/25/08
On Oct 24, 6:31 pm, "Paul" <roadman...@rogers.com> wrote:
> I think those laws only apply when you are in a private residence.  When you
> are on the grounds of a licensed establishment (such as Universal), the
> drinking age laws prevail.

Again, it depends on the state. In Ohio, I think the way it's worded
applies anywhere. I'm sure the original intent was to cover cultures
(Italian, for example) where it's common to have a glass of wine with
dinner.

Having a taste of a drink is of course a lot different from a parent
getting their kid puking drunk too, and I'm sure every state would
have an issue with the later.

Rick

steelforce

Oct 25, 2008, 1:38:22 PM10/25/08

You don't have to have to be drunk to suffer the consequences of
"being" a drunk. Your actions caused this. Had you not given your
underage daughter a taste of your "drink" and then refused to
cooperate with authorities, none of this would have happened and you'd
be free to visit your favorite weekend destination as much as you
want.

Things like this will continue to happen til you get the help you
need.

SAM

Shawn Mamros

Oct 25, 2008, 3:55:26 PM10/25/08
NoGodForMe <religi...@fairytales.com> wrote:
>On the night we visited, 127 people got a trespass warning. I was the
>only one who got indefinite. The reason why is because I didn't want
>to talk. Ever seen those videos on YouTube that say, "Don't Talk To
>Cops?" Just search YouTube for that term and you'll find it. There's
>two videos that run for 30 minutes that explain it, worth watching.
>
>DON'T TALK TO COPS.

Lemme guess - you have a "Stop Snitichin'" T-shirt or two in your
closet, too? Sheesh, some people...

(one of my brothers-in-law is a police officer, and a sister-in-law
works for the local Sheriff. so yeah, I might be biased...)

-s

steelforce

Oct 26, 2008, 10:15:15 AM10/26/08
On Oct 24, 8:59�pm, NoGodForMe <religionki...@fairytales.com> wrote:

> This reminds me of Ft. Lauderdale. � Used to be the Spring Break capital
> of the world. �Then they busted everyone and scared them off. � Now you
> read articles that Ft. Lauderdale is broke, doesn't have an air show any
> more, and only survives from rich people with boats. � �Universal
> doesn't have anything else to fall back on. � When people stop coming,
> that's it, they lose out. � The executives at the top won't care, they
> still get 5 vacation homes and million dollar bonuses, but it's
> definitely going to hurt everyone down the line.

You make it sound like enforcing the law is a bad thing! Face it, you
can try to JUSTIFY this any way you like, the truth is, YOU caused
this problem, YOU!.... YOU should look inward for the answer to this
issue. Your cavalier attitude toward life and alcoholism has created
this situation. YOU have posted too many times to count, how you screw
the parks out of this and that, How you break the rules and take
photos and videos where you shouldn't. You break the rules until
someone gets in your face and tells you to stop, and you save on
parking by trespassing on bordering properties and park for free.

Time to sober up and face life on lifes terms...

SAM

David Sandborg

Oct 26, 2008, 4:16:44 PM10/26/08
In article
<526e3203-8911-4c7d...@75g2000hso.googlegroups.com>,

"Rastus O'Ginga" <ras...@kingwoodcable.net> wrote:

> On Oct 24, 7:57 am, CoasterFanatic <tedcromw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am not a Viands fan in the slightest, but even I think that this
> > might be a little excessive. I remember many times where curiosity got
> > the better of me and I asked for a little sip of some beverage that my
> > father (or some other family member) was partaking of. Unless the
> > minor had sole possession of the drink and repeatedly drank from it,
> > lets call this what it is ... ridiculous.
> >
> > I understand that underage drinking is probably a huge problem at HHN,
> > but these were two "minors" that were being escorted by their legal
> > guardian around the park.
> >
> > - Ted
>
> Exactly. Yeah, he's a dumbass, but this is quite ridiculous, and such
> a wasteful use of law enforcement. So they catch a few dozen underage
> drinkers, yet probably hundreds of folks roared out of teh parking
> garage, driving like complete dicks, and legally drunk.
>
> I recall being at teh Ren Faire a few years ago and my son asking to
> try my cup of mead. I let him have a little sip of stuff at home, so
> alcohol isn't some insanely forbidden fruit that he's dying to try. I
> didn't let him try any, and this shows why. But, I do wonder how the
> grounds of this. Are the cops going to be at churches on Sunday,
> hauling 20 year-olds away for drinking wine?

I agree (can't remember the last time I said that about a Rastus post!).
The original article said something about Universal's "zero tolerance"
policy, and for reasons like this I'm always suspicious of such things.
Viands has been an idiot in many ways, but giving one's daughter a taste
of a drink is something I think should be entirely within a parent's
rights.

--
Dave Sandborg
Remove Spam-away to respond via e-mail.

David Sandborg

Oct 26, 2008, 4:17:19 PM10/26/08
In article <490379ae$0$310$b45e...@senator-bedfellow.mit.edu>,
mam...@mit.edu (Shawn Mamros) wrote:

> Lemme guess - you have a "Stop Snitichin'" T-shirt or two in your
> closet, too? Sheesh, some people...

I love this story:

http://www.neatorama.com/2008/10/17/the-t-shirt-gave-him-away/

Jim Shaffer

Oct 26, 2008, 6:04:39 PM10/26/08
On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 07:15:15 -0700 (PDT), steelforce
<steel...@aol.com> wrote:

>You make it sound like enforcing the law is a bad thing!

I don't know what the history between you and NoGodForMe is (nor do I
care), but he's not the only person who thinks that laws against
victimless crimes have no place in a free country. As far as I'm
concerned, any cop who enforces such an abomination is a criminal.

NoGodForMe

Oct 28, 2008, 9:19:11 PM10/28/08

> Exactly. Yeah, he's a dumbass, but this is quite ridiculous, and such
> a wasteful use of law enforcement. So they catch a few dozen underage
> drinkers, yet probably hundreds of folks roared out of teh parking
> garage, driving like complete dicks, and legally drunk.
>
> I recall being at teh Ren Faire a few years ago and my son asking to
> try my cup of mead. I let him have a little sip of stuff at home, so
> alcohol isn't some insanely forbidden fruit that he's dying to try. I
> didn't let him try any, and this shows why. But, I do wonder how the
> grounds of this. Are the cops going to be at churches on Sunday,
> hauling 20 year-olds away for drinking wine?
>

> BUt, I'll be surprised if this keeps Viands away. It wouldn't keep me
> away. If he shows up at the gate and buys tickets with cash, I would
> put the odds of him being caught on property at pretty damn slim.
>
> This whole article seems surreal. I mean, really, what are the odds?
> Is Scott Powers a coaster enthusiast? And isn't it even borderline
> illegal to say "Robert Viands - who provided alcohol to a minor",
> unless Viands agreed to the story? Hell, he could get fired for
> that. They even say what the name of his MINOR daughter is. NOt to
> mention, they say the vast majority of offenders were white. Something
> smells here.
>
> -R

Nothing smells here. After we got home, I searched the internet for
the term "Trespass Warning Orlando" and low and behold, there was an
article about 4 blacks who were kicked out of Disney. Scott Powers
wrote the article. The 4 kids were making trouble in Paradise Island.
There were eventually allowed to come back after the parents
complained and played the race card. The article also mentioned the
attorney who I contacted. He couldn't help, but also thought the parks
are going way over board.

I wrote to Scott and he called me back. He asked what happened. I
told him the story and he said he'd do some research and get back to me.
The lady who was arrested 6 weeks ago also wrote to Scott. At first
he was skeptical, until I told him my story. Then he realized there was
more to it and decided to investigate.

A couple days later Scott called me and said he was ready to run the
story. I thought it was going to be some little story in the
entertainment section. Low and behold, it's on the front page, and it
also ran in South Florida a few days later in the South Florida
Sun-Sentinel. I knew my name would appear, but didn't think it was
going to be a front page thing.

What many people fail to realize, is the number of people getting booted
for a year. In the article Scott mentions there were 127 people with a
trespass warning, and all the cases had not been entered yet. So there
were more than 127 that night, and 67 during the day. This doesn't even
include those who were arrested. We're talking MORE THAN 127 trespass
warnings, and many arrests each night of HHN. This is much more than a
few dozen a night, just like the article states in the title, hundreds.
I'd say more like thousands over time.

Oh, and the race of the person is on the trespass warnings, so Scott
could see what race everyone is. Wanna know why most people were white?
Because blacks don't attend HHN, they don't attend parks in general
unless its SFA or SFoG. How did Scott get this information? He called
the Sergent because I gave him the case number. Universal doesn't have
to talk to Scott, but the police do.

So we're in a terrible economy, and they're kicking people out for a
year. The people they're kicking out come from Tampa and South Florida.
That's what Scott was trying to get across in the article.

If you read Screamscape, you'll see parks are closing because
destination travelers are not visiting. That would be places like Hard
Rock Park, and Cypress Gardens. I can guarantee you the attendance
numbers at Universal will drop along with spending. They won't go out
of business or anything, but there will be less people. The "buzz"
will die, even with the new coaster and HP land. People will go else
where.

steelforce

Oct 29, 2008, 7:37:49 AM10/29/08

Here we go again, they threw you out, so now they're going in the
shitter lol, NOT! Ya know, getting rid of the rowdies, and rule/law
breakers encourages people to come to the parks... Universal '09 HHN
event and the remainder of this years will probably be better
attended.

The sad reality is, you're a problem drinker with a warped sense of
reality, and your alcoholic judgement had you make the wrong move at
the wrong time.

Get help, things can be better.

SAM

Rastus O'Ginga

Oct 29, 2008, 9:18:18 AM10/29/08
On Oct 26, 5:04 pm, Jim Shaffer <jmshaf...@alltel.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 07:15:15 -0700 (PDT), steelforce
>
> <steelfo...@aol.com> wrote:
> >You make it sound like enforcing the law is a bad thing!
>
> I don't know what the history between you and NoGodForMe is (nor do I
> care), but he's not the only person who thinks that laws against
> victimless crimes have no place in a free country.  As far as I'm
> concerned, any cop who enforces such an abomination is a criminal.

It's not Sam and NoGodForMe's history. IT's simply that Sam has sever
mental problems, and is a borderline psychopath.

Apparently, he has never driven over the speed limit, he's never ran a
red light, he's never downloaded or copied anything in his life, and
he never drank an ounce of alcohol before he was 21.

Well, either that, or he just one more dick with no integrity, acting
all holier than thou.

-R

tbar...@gmail.com

Oct 29, 2008, 12:36:23 PM10/29/08
On Oct 28, 9:19 pm, NoGodForMe <religionki...@fairytales.com> wrote:
> Nothing smells here.   After we got home, I searched the internet for
> the term "Trespass Warning Orlando" and low and behold, there was an
> article about 4 blacks who were kicked out of Disney.   Scott Powers
> wrote the article.   The 4 kids were making trouble in Paradise Island.
>     There were eventually allowed to come back after the parents
> complained and played the race card.   The article also mentioned the
> attorney who I contacted.   He couldn't help, but also thought the parks
> are going way over board.

The kids were loitering and were asked to leave. It was part of
Disney's attempt to prevent trouble by removing people with no
legitimate reason to be there. Admittedly the article doesn't
entirely explain what they were doing. I don't inmagine that they
were simply just standing there...they were most likely being
obnoxious and continued to be obnoxious when they were asked to
leave. The ban wasn't lifted entirely, they were still banned from
Downtown Disney for a year. Whether Disney was right to ban them
remains to be clear, there was no indication that what they were doing
to attract the attention of security was illegal. Unlike your
situation.

> I wrote to Scott and he called me back.   He asked what happened.  I
> told him the story and he said he'd do some research and get back to me.
>   The lady who was arrested 6 weeks ago also wrote to Scott.   At first
> he was skeptical, until I told him my story. Then he realized there was
> more to it and decided to investigate.

Had that woman not attacked the police, she could have simply called
Universal, explained what happened, and most likely have the ban
lifted.

> A couple days later Scott called me and said he was ready to run the
> story.   I thought it was going to be some little story in the
> entertainment section.   Low and behold, it's on the front page, and it
> also ran in South Florida a few days later in the South Florida
> Sun-Sentinel.   I knew my name would appear, but didn't think it was
> going to be a front page thing.

The news story didn't seem empathetic to the people being banned. It
seemed more like it was applauding Universal and you and that woman
looked like you were whining.

> What many people fail to realize, is the number of people getting booted
> for a year.   In the article Scott mentions there were 127 people with a
> trespass warning, and all the cases had not been entered yet.  So there
> were more than 127 that night, and 67 during the day.  This doesn't even
> include those who were arrested.    We're talking MORE THAN 127 trespass
> warnings, and many arrests each night of HHN.   This is much more than a
> few dozen a night, just like the article states in the title, hundreds.
>    I'd say more like thousands over time.

Exactly why does this matter? Regardless of what your or Rastus
thinks, you and these other people VIOLATED THE LAW. Universal has
absolutely every right to ask you to leave. You were banned because
you were uncooperative. Perhaps if you had cooperated you wouldn't be
in this situation. I wouldn't be surprised if Universal had already
been warned about losing their liqcuor license, hence the crackdown.
Also, Universal's liability doesn't end at the gate. Alcohol servers
can be held liable for the actions of someone who is drunk.

> Oh, and the race of the person is on the trespass warnings, so Scott
> could see what race everyone is.  Wanna know why most people were white?
>    Because blacks don't attend HHN, they don't attend parks in general
> unless its SFA or SFoG.   How did Scott get this information?  He called
> the Sergent because I gave him the case number. Universal doesn't have
> to talk to Scott, but the police do.

It doesn't matter. Race is absolutely irrelevant in this case. It
was slightly relevant in the Disney case since only hispanics and
blacks were being banned. With this country's hstory of racism (and
one only need look at a Palin rally to see how real it still is), it
is area worth exploring.

> So we're in a terrible economy, and they're kicking people out for a
> year.  The people they're kicking out come from Tampa and South Florida.
>    That's what Scott was trying to get across in the article.

People were violating the law, which can result in hefty fines for
them as well as a suspension and/or revoking of their licquor
license. A bad economy in no way entitles people to break the law nor
does it entitle anyone to passively ignore crime.

> If you read Screamscape, you'll see parks are closing because
> destination travelers are not visiting.  That would be places like Hard
> Rock Park, and Cypress Gardens.   I can guarantee you the attendance
> numbers at Universal will drop along with spending.   They won't go out
> of business or anything, but there will be less people.   The "buzz"
> will die, even with the new coaster and HP land.   People will go else
> where.

You're being too simplistic. Neither of those places closed because
of the economy per se. Hard Rock Park had many other
problems...particularly overestimating the appeal of the park and
spending too much money. How many of the banned people were "locals"
and not tourists? I would say not a large percentage. The fact of
the matter is you broke the law. Whether or not you agree with it is
irrelevant. You broke it. Now you have to pay the consequences.

Rastus O'Ginga

Oct 30, 2008, 2:54:14 PM10/30/08
On Oct 29, 11:36 am, tbarr...@gmail.com wrote:

> With this country's hstory of racism (and
> one only need look at a Palin rally to see how real it still is), it
> is area worth exploring.

You realize that saying something like that makes anyone who isn't
swimming in the Obama socialist Kool-Aid realize you are an utter fool
with no integrity, and very little intelligence, right?

-R

Mike R

Oct 31, 2008, 3:11:29 PM10/31/08
If your going to to the crime be prepared to do the time. None of us
are angels. Sometimes we speed, some of us drank underage, etc.

The point is if your caught are you going to man up to the fact that
you broke the law and pay the fine or are you going to whine about the
fact you got caught?

If I get caught speeding, I am going to pay the ticket. That's the
way life works. Is it the cop's fault that I am speeding? If I am
going to give my kid a drink in public and get caught I have no one to
blame but myself.

Just take responsibility for your actions, We are all imperfect and
make mistakes, its how you deal with them that matters.

NoGodForMe

Nov 2, 2008, 8:57:13 PM11/2/08

Actually I'm going to do the opposite.

If Universal wants to set a trap with Jello Shots, then I'll write the
mayor and tell them to stop it.

The entire reason all of this happened is because of Jello Shots,
they're like candy, in the streets, everywhere. At Hallowscream, this
doesn't happens because they don't sell them. They sell beer in tall
glasses. Kids don't like beer, or the hard stuff.

If Universal wants to ban me with ENTRAPMENT then I'll complain to the
mayor.

1. I won't visit Universal anymore (Obviously, DUH).
2. I won't stay in any hotels in the Orlando area.
3. I won't visit any restaurants in the Orlando area.
4. I'll write the mayor telling them each time I travel to another
destination.

For those of you who don't get it yet, I'll tell you what this does.

Universal and Sea World are in Orlando. Fine. I can still visit Sea
World.

BUT, I won't visit any restaurants in Orlando, any gas stations, any
hotels.

What does this do?

A lot.

1. Universal obviously doesn't get as many visitors.
2. Orlando doesn't get taxes from hotels, gas, and sales tax.
3. Maids and waitresses get no tips.

Of coarse the Nay Sayers are going to go, But Robert, you're only ONE.

Yes, I know that, but just wait and see. Many others have said I'm
just ONE, and look at what happened.

Once again, Destination travelers are more important than anyone realizes.

If Universal wants to ban 200 people a night for ENTRAPMENT then I'll
make sure they can't sell Jello Shots anymore.

None of this happens if they can only sell beer, or liquor in the bars.
That's why you don't hear about this problem at BGT, because they
don't sell Jello Shots, just full beer glasses which the kids don't care
about.

Big Difference.

David H.--REMOVE "STOPSPAM" to reply

Nov 3, 2008, 12:09:48 PM11/3/08

Integrity is taking the consequences for your actions. If you decide to
commit a crime, then you have to be willing to accept the consequences that
come with that crime.

If I speed and get caught, I have no right to be mad at the cop who catches
me.

It's pretty simple.

David H, davi...@STOPSPAMbellatlantic.net, Boston, MA
PLEASE remove "STOPSPAM" from my address when replying via e-mail.

"Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by
the president or any other public official, save exactly to the degree
in which he himself stands by the country. It is patriotic to support
him insofar as he efficiently serves the country. It is unpatriotic not
to oppose him to the exact extent that by inefficiency or otherwise he
fails in his duty to stand by the country. In either event, it is
unpatriotic not to tell the truth, whether about the president or
anyone else."
-- Theodore Roosevelt

David H.--REMOVE "STOPSPAM" to reply

Nov 3, 2008, 12:46:04 PM11/3/08
I can't speak for the whole country. But I'm a waiter in Massachusetts.

Most restaurants require their servers and bartenders to pass a certified
alcohol awareness training course. In MA, the certification is only valid
for three years, and must be renewed. I've been through variations of the
course (there are several that are certified, including TIPS and ServeSafe)
at least a half dozen times. So, I'm pretty aware of the alcohol laws
here.

It is illegal for ANYONE to serve alcohol to ANY minor in MA. That
includes parents serving their children -- even in their own home. Now,
it's unlikely that the police or other authorities will ever know about
such situations, unless it gets out of hand. But it is illegal -- and you
can't do it at public establishments.

There are legal consequences to restaurants and bars who serve a minor --
and that includes serving an adult who then gives the minor a drink. Those
consequences are both criminal (it's a crime, which goes on your record)
and civil (you can be sued.)

1) The establishment can have their liquor license suspended or revoked.
This happens more than you might think. Even a weekend without being able
to serve alcohol (and you can bet it will be a very busy one, since the
liquor authorities try to make an example of establishments who they are
punishing) can be devastating to a restaurant or bar -- especially in this
economy. restaurants make most of their profits off of alcohol; bars make
virtually all of their profits off of alcohol.

2) As a result, EVERY EMPLOYEE of such establishment suffers from loss of
income -- either temporary or permanent.

3) Other patrons will not be able to drink alcohol safely and responsibly
in that establishment during the suspension. Or at any time in the future
if the license is revoked. An establishment who loses their liquor license
permanently will likely go out of business, which means that no one can
ever go there again.

4) The server/bartender will receive a fine of no less than $500 in
Massachusetts for the first infraction, and $1500 for each further
infraction. A father who gives 4 kids a taste of his alcohol could cost
the server/bartender $5000.

5) Since serving alcohol to a minor is a CRIME, the server/bartender will
now have a record for committing that crime.

6) The server/bartender will almost definitely lose his job -- which will
make it hard to pay that fine, never mind rent, food, etc. It will be
extremely difficult for him to get another job in the industry,

7) The restaurant could be sued if the minor gets involved in ANYTHING
while under the influence of alcohol. This includes anything from driving
to getting into a fight. Hell, if the person trips and hurts himself, he
could actually sue the restaurant for damages. While you might think that
this is a silly and frivolous situation, judges are actually very inclined
to find against the bar or restaurant in such a situation to send a
message.

8) The server could also be sued.

You may think that some or all of this is unfair. But it's the law. You
can work to charge the law (lobby, gather signatures for ballot initiative
etc.) if you'd like. But until you successfully change the law, understand
that you're endangering ME with your illegal activities. (Not to mention
anyone on the roads, if you kid is old enough to drive.)

I'd be pretty willing to bet that this is the situation in almost every
state in the US.

Think about this. *I* am responsible if you give your child a drink in my
restaurant. You are risking ME. If you get caught, I'll get a fine, lose
my job and have trouble getting a job in the future. I will have a
criminal record and could possibly be sued. My restaurant could lose its
liquor license for a busy weekend, which would hurt ALL of my co-workers.
I'd likely lose most of my friends there.

You may be willing to gamble on MY prosperity. But *I* am not. Just so
your kid can have a sip of beer.

All because you think you have the right to serve alcohol to YOUR child in
MY public restaurant.

HOW SELFISH.

Sorry, but I have no sympathy for you.

If you want to give alcohol to your child, do it in your own home. That
way only you and your child pay the consequences.

(Note that the "you" I'm talking to here isn't Paul, or any of the readers
of RRC (besides Viands). It's to an adult who wants to serve his child in
my restaurant.)

CoasterFanatic

Nov 3, 2008, 1:09:16 PM11/3/08
Mr. Viands,

After first reading the article, I posted that it was within your
parental right to give your kids a "taste" of your beverage. With
every reply you make, you make me look more like an idiot.

Thank you
- Ted

Keith Hopkins

Nov 3, 2008, 3:35:14 PM11/3/08
"NoGodForMe" <religi...@fairytales.com> wrote in message

> If Universal wants to ban me with ENTRAPMENT then I'll complain to
> the mayor.

Good luck with that.

> 1. I won't visit Universal anymore (Obviously, DUH).
> 2. I won't stay in any hotels in the Orlando area.
> 3. I won't visit any restaurants in the Orlando area.
> 4. I'll write the mayor telling them each time I travel to another
> destination.
>
> For those of you who don't get it yet, I'll tell you what this does.

It enables the Mayor's aide to automatically file all letters from
Robert Viands into the special Kook file under the desk. The round
one.

> If Universal wants to ban 200 people a night for ENTRAPMENT then
> I'll make sure they can't sell Jello Shots anymore.

Again, good luck with that.

Now go put your big boy pants on and quit stomping your little feet.

--
Keith Hopkins
suss...@sssssssssgmail.ssssssssscom
[clear up the hissing to email]
"Excuse me, sir, but you appear to be sitting
on my gown. Would you be so kind as to move?"
Mark McKenzie

Charlie Foxtrot

Nov 4, 2008, 1:00:45 AM11/4/08

In some states (Texas beingthe only one I can think of off hand) the
situation you describe is legal.

In MOST states, what the poster you are replying to is correct and
even more draconian in some states, such as New Hampshire.

Foxtrot

If you think you hate me from what I write here, check out my blog on my MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/bennettron

If you actually think I'm an okay guy, go ahead and add me as your friend if you are active at MySpace.

Mike R

Nov 4, 2008, 2:07:13 PM11/4/08
On Nov 3, 2:35 pm, "Keith Hopkins"
<sussk...@sssssssssgmail.ssssssssscom> wrote:
> "NoGodForMe" <religionki...@fairytales.com> wrote in message

> > If Universal wants to ban me with ENTRAPMENT then I'll complain to
> > the mayor.
>
> Good luck with that.
>
> > 1.   I won't visit Universal anymore (Obviously, DUH).
> > 2.   I won't stay in any hotels in the Orlando area.
> > 3.   I won't visit any restaurants in the Orlando area.
> > 4.   I'll write the mayor telling them each time I travel to another
> > destination.
>
> > For those of you who don't get it yet, I'll tell you what this does.
>
> It enables the Mayor's aide to automatically file all letters from
> Robert Viands into the special Kook file under the desk.  The round
> one.
>
> > If Universal wants to ban 200 people a night for ENTRAPMENT then
> > I'll make sure they can't sell Jello Shots anymore.
>
> Again, good luck with that.
>
> Now go put your big boy pants on and quit stomping your little feet.
>
> --
> Keith Hopkins
> sussk...@sssssssssgmail.ssssssssscom

> [clear up the hissing to email]
> "Excuse me, sir, but you appear to be sitting
> on my gown.  Would you be so kind as to move?"
> Mark McKenzie

Yep, Jello Shots are the root of all bad parenting. They must be
stopped!

I guess the entire city of Orlando must have Viands on file now. Hope
you don't get caught speeding in Central Florida. Of course it will
be the Jello Shot's fault........