Texas Giant - Rehab

Lovin' Woodies

Mar 16, 2009, 2:47:44 PM3/16/09
Six Flags Over Texas to close Texas Giant for renovations in 2010

01:04 PM CDT on Monday, March 16, 2009

By JEFF MOSIER / The Dallas Morning News

jmo...@dallasnews.com

Rollercoaster fans should get their fill of the Texas Giant this year
because the wooden behemoth at Six Flags Over Texas will be closed
during the 2010 season.
Park officials announced today that the rollercoaster will get a $10
million renovation to make it faster and smoother. It will reopen in
2011 for the park’s 50th anniversary season.
Sharon Parker, a Six Flags spokeswoman, said the coaster should be
open through Fright Fest, the park’s Halloween season. She said the
Texas Giant is usually closed for Holiday in the Park, which runs from
late November through early January.
“We do have big plans for one last ride on the original Texas Giant
before the end of the 2009 season,” Parker said.
The renovations are being designed, and there are no details about how
fast the rollercoaster will be when it reopens. It now has a top speed
of 62 mph.
The Texas Giant opened in 1990 and had the highest lift of any wooden
rollercoaster at the time. For several years, it was named the best
wooden rollercoaster by different publications or fan associations.

Ruso...@aol.com

Mar 16, 2009, 3:10:21 PM3/16/09
On Mar 16, 2:47 pm, "Lovin' Woodies" <onehal...@aol.com> wrote:
> Six Flags Over Texas to close Texas Giant for renovations in 2010
>
> 01:04 PM CDT on Monday, March 16, 2009
>
> By JEFF MOSIER / The Dallas Morning News
>
> jmos...@dallasnews.com

> Rollercoaster fans should get their fill of the Texas Giant this year
> because the wooden behemoth at Six Flags Over Texas will be closed
> during the 2010 season.
> Park officials announced today that the rollercoaster will get a $10
> million renovation to make it faster and smoother. It will reopen in
> 2011 for the park’s 50th anniversary season.
> Sharon Parker, a Six Flags spokeswoman, said the coaster should be
> open through Fright Fest, the park’s Halloween season. She said the
> Texas Giant is usually closed for Holiday in the Park, which runs from
> late November through early January.
> “We do have big plans for one last ride on the original Texas Giant
> before the end of the 2009 season,” Parker said.
> The renovations are being designed, and there are no details about how
> fast the rollercoaster will be when it reopens. It now has a top speed
> of 62 mph.
> The Texas Giant opened in 1990 and had the highest lift of any wooden
> rollercoaster at the time. For several years, it was named the best
> wooden rollercoaster by different publications or fan associations.

It'll reopen in 2011 as long as SIX doesn't go totally bankrupt!

Randy Rasmussen

Mar 16, 2009, 3:47:21 PM3/16/09
FWIW, I wouldn't be holding my breathe for it not to go bankrupt. Over the
past seven days the stock price has dropped from 25 cents a share to 15
cents a share today. The market capitalization for the company (the TOTAL
value of all the company shares) is now a whopping 14.7 million dollars.
Let's see.......... that'd be about the value of, say............ three or
four new medium-sized wood coasters?

<Ruso...@aol.com> wrote in message

jacobga...@gmail.com

Mar 16, 2009, 8:59:31 PM3/16/09
On Mar 16, 3:47 pm, "Randy Rasmussen" <1ran...@cox.net> wrote:
> FWIW, I wouldn't be holding my breathe for it not to go bankrupt.  Over the
> past seven days the stock price has dropped from 25 cents a share to 15
> cents a share today.  The market capitalization for the company (the TOTAL
> value of all the company shares) is now a whopping 14.7 million dollars.
> Let's see.......... that'd be about the value of, say............ three or
> four new medium-sized wood coasters?
>
> <Rusoz...@aol.com> wrote in message

I have my doubts that this will be a good thing. I do agree with
others so, doesn't this seem like an expensive remodel? For that you
could dismantle and rebuild a newer style ride with less maintenance
demands. Not that I support this from an enthusiast perspective, but
from a business perspective it would seem to make more sense.

msul...@ntmllc.com

Mar 16, 2009, 9:38:41 PM3/16/09
On Mar 16, 5:59 pm, jacobgatkin...@gmail.com wrote:

> I have my doubts that this will be a good thing. I do agree with
> others so, doesn't this seem like an expensive remodel? For that you
> could dismantle and rebuild a newer style ride with less maintenance
> demands. Not that I support this from an enthusiast perspective, but

> from a business perspective it would seem to make more sense.- Hide quoted text -

I'm placing bets on a new name, Terminator Salvation, along with new
trains and reprofiling.

David Sandborg

Mar 16, 2009, 9:44:09 PM3/16/09
"Renovation"? I wonder how much the new Texas Giant will resemble the
old.

--
Dave Sandborg
Remove Spam-away to respond via e-mail.

Bill Buckley

Mar 17, 2009, 8:40:01 AM3/17/09
>>Park officials announced today that the rollercoaster will get a $10
>>million
>>renovation to make it faster and smoother.

How do YOU spin, "Reprofile?"

:-)

Doug Miller

Mar 17, 2009, 10:41:33 AM3/17/09
Just wild speculation (a wish, really)... We've not yet seen it happen
anywhere, but would it be possible to take an existing woodie and add
Intamin Plug-And-Play track and trains? Wouldn't that create a much
lower maintenance ride (resulting in less expense long-term), as well as
faster and smoother? If SFOT is investing $10 million on the rehab,
wouldn't that seem a possiblity?

Doug

Rollermonkey

Mar 17, 2009, 2:28:46 PM3/17/09

Interesting question, Doug. In the past, most of the attention has
been focused on the track itself. I guess it's a question of whether
the support structure is of a modular design, too.

Chris

coasterfanatic

Mar 17, 2009, 9:08:06 PM3/17/09
The only way I see a rehab of a woodie costing this much is Intamin
track and trains put on the ride. You could build the whole darn
thing today for less.

The only other way is if the cost of another attraction is figured
into it.
Chuck

Steve Raymond Neel

Mar 20, 2009, 1:01:26 AM3/20/09
I hope they put steel track on the thing, like the one at Cedar Point...
That would be cool!
"Lovin' Woodies" <oneh...@aol.com> wrote in message

Dave Althoff, Jr.

Mar 20, 2009, 1:10:51 AM3/20/09
Bill Buckley <DontS...@verizon.net> wrote:
: >>Park officials announced today that the rollercoaster will get a $10
: >>million
: >>renovation to make it faster and smoother.
:
: How do YOU spin, "Reprofile?"

Maybe. Maybe not.

Consider "wood coaster" and "Six Flags", note that the annoucement about
the Giant mentioned new trains, look at what Six Flags has done in
recent years, and there is a very interesting possibility that presents
itself, which could even mean "restoration" if they're doing what I
think they might be doing. The only problem with my theory is that I'm
not sure that it would explain the reported $10M cost, but I think it's
equally possible that there are some additional major costs rolled into
that.

It's just a theory right now. But as I connect the dots, and realize
that Six Flags has some experience now with some alternative trains and
track constructions, I can see a definite possibility emerging here
that, for the record, has absolutely nothing to do with Intamin............

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
/X\ _ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\__/XXXXX\/XXXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\_/XXX\_/\_/XXXXXX
NEW! When emailing this account, include the 'canonical magic word' in
the body of your message for a quicker response.

Bill Buckley

Mar 20, 2009, 9:19:58 AM3/20/09

"Dave Althoff, Jr." wrote:

> Consider "wood coaster" and "Six Flags", note that the annoucement about
> the Giant mentioned new trains, look at what Six Flags has done in
> recent years, and there is a very interesting possibility that presents
> itself, which could even mean "restoration" if they're doing what I
> think they might be doing. The only problem with my theory is that I'm
> not sure that it would explain the reported $10M cost, but I think it's
> equally possible that there are some additional major costs rolled into
> that.
>
> It's just a theory right now. But as I connect the dots, and realize
> that Six Flags has some experience now with some alternative trains and
> track constructions, I can see a definite possibility emerging here
> that, for the record, has absolutely nothing to do with
> Intamin............

Please!! We all know that when Six Flags says "Faster and smoother" in
terms of wooden coasters, it means reprofiling (ala Rattler, SFNE Cyclone,
Thunder Run, etc.)

Mike R

Mar 20, 2009, 11:16:34 AM3/20/09
On Mar 20, 12:10 am, "Dave Althoff, Jr."
<dalloff.gcfn....@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

I wonder how much a certain designer would charge to come in to
retrack and add their trains?

Andrew Brawley

Mar 20, 2009, 11:17:22 AM3/20/09

"Dave Althoff, Jr." <dalloff....@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> Consider "wood coaster" and "Six Flags", note that the annoucement about
> the Giant mentioned new trains, look at what Six Flags has done in
> recent years, and there is a very interesting possibility that presents
> itself, which could even mean "restoration" if they're doing what I
> think they might be doing. The only problem with my theory is that I'm
> not sure that it would explain the reported $10M cost, but I think it's
> equally possible that there are some additional major costs rolled into
> that.
>
> It's just a theory right now. But as I connect the dots, and realize
> that Six Flags has some experience now with some alternative trains and
> track constructions, I can see a definite possibility emerging here
> that, for the record, has absolutely nothing to do with
> Intamin............

Non, mais peut-être... the "lighter" second generation GCI(I) Millennium
Flyers? Sounds good to me! But that leaves about 8 mil in "track work".
What do you envision there? Aside from some long needed TLC, I've always
thought that the first drop could use some serious tweaking, and I'd love to
see a restoration (reconstruction) of the double-up. The drop off of the
mid-course has always been really strong (provided the trains don't get
"set-up" which has happened to me way more than once) so I hope they don't
mess with that. On most of my most recent rides (which to be fair were at
least six years ago) the brakes just about killed the power of the helix
wrap-around the lift hill. And of course that is the set-up for the "Magic
Carpet", which honestly *still* managed to kick ass.

So where do you see the rest of the money going? I'm happy. I think it's
quite a worthy ride. But I'm with you. As much as I want to, and feel they
should, I can't see how they are putting that whole investment into this
ride.

-Andrew

Eric Griswold

Mar 20, 2009, 11:47:00 AM3/20/09
"Andrew Brawley" <dj_...@coasterboys.com> writes:

> "Dave Althoff, Jr." <dalloff....@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>

>> It's just a theory right now. But as I connect the dots, and realize
>> that Six Flags has some experience now with some alternative trains and
>> track constructions, I can see a definite possibility emerging here
>> that, for the record, has absolutely nothing to do with
>> Intamin............
>

> Non, mais peut-être... the "lighter" second generation GCI(I) Millennium
> Flyers? Sounds good to me!

GCI has stated publicly that the Millennium Flyer trains are not for sale
for coasters they did not construct.

Perhaps, maybe, that could include coasters that they do a full retracking
on. The notion, while completely speculative, enchants me. I've been
slowly turning into a GCI fanboy since SFDK (nee SFMW) got "Roar".

Eric

Doug Miller

Mar 20, 2009, 12:25:16 PM3/20/09
Here's another thought to add to the mix... What about the new
Timberliner (I think that's the name) trains from Gravity Group? Perhaps
a GG rehab plus their new trains?

-Doug

Richard Koppelman

Mar 20, 2009, 4:36:05 PM3/20/09
Perhaps $10 million is their "rehab" figure. Didn't it cost the same to
rehab X?

In any case I fully expect this to be the last year for the Giant as we know
it. I will hold out hope for the future, but not much.

Rich

BaSSiStiSt

Mar 20, 2009, 5:25:59 PM3/20/09
"Steve Raymond Neel" <srn...@cox.net> wrote in message

>I hope they put steel track on the thing, like the one at Cedar Point...
>That would be cool!

Circa 1978 Arrow track and trains on Texas Giant's layout? Whoa.

ston...@aol.com

Mar 20, 2009, 5:51:36 PM3/20/09
On Mar 20, 5:25 pm, "BaSSiStiSt" <dreadpirateb...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:
> "Steve Raymond Neel" <srn...@cox.net> wrote in messagenews:HqFwl.2000$xU1....@newsfe25.iad...

> >I hope they put steel track on the thing, like the one at Cedar Point...
> >That would be cool!
>
> Circa 1978 Arrow track and trains on Texas Giant's layout? Whoa.

That's way too modern. Need pedel release for restraints like the 1st
gen mine trains.

Now we're talking old skool shop.

Andrew Brawley

Mar 20, 2009, 7:39:11 PM3/20/09

"Eric Griswold" <eric_g...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> GCI has stated publicly that the Millennium Flyer trains are not for sale
> for coasters they did not construct.
>
> Perhaps, maybe, that could include coasters that they do a full retracking
> on. The notion, while completely speculative, enchants me. I've been
> slowly turning into a GCI fanboy since SFDK (nee SFMW) got "Roar".

Actually, at last year's Rumblefest, a couple of the guys from GCI, hinted
in a not so subtle way that their second generation trains may now be
available as replacements on rides from other companies. They are not as
heavy as the originals. SF did get the first of the new trains when they
put in Evil Knievel. Perhaps they feel that these trains might ultimately
cut down on maintenance costs on some of their older coasters.

-Andrew

msul...@ntmllc.com

Mar 20, 2009, 10:54:40 PM3/20/09
On Mar 20, 8:47 am, Eric Griswold <eric_grisw...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> GCI has stated publicly that the Millennium Flyer trains are not for sale
> for coasters they did not construct.

I thought they have since changed their mind...

Wolf

Mar 21, 2009, 1:21:41 AM3/21/09

http://www.thegravitygroup.com/Images/timberliner-postcard.jpg

--
|\-/|
<0 0>

Mike R

Mar 21, 2009, 2:13:25 AM3/21/09

I don't care if it is a reprofile or not. Quite frankly since Premier
bought Six Flags, the TLC that made it a great coaster came to an end
and for me the Giant became an endurance test more than a fun ride.
The ride was just so rough that I just did not enjoy it. Its probably
been 3 or 4 years since I have even been on it.

Anything has to be better than it is now. It used to be such a great
ride when it first opened and Six Flags had the money to keep it in
top shape, but anything will better than it is now.

Dave Althoff, Jr.

Mar 22, 2009, 11:48:25 PM3/22/09
Eric Griswold <eric_g...@yahoo.com> wrote:

GCI has subsequently indicated that for the right price, and if they can
have their way with somebody else's ride, they would consider selling
trains for a rehab. I think the train business is going more smoothly
for them now than it was some years ago when the oft-repeated "sorry..."
comment was made.

So what would it cost to do a complete retracking and structural rehab
on the Giant? Note that they are going to shut the thing down for
longer that it took to build it originally...!

Dave Althoff, Jr.

Mar 22, 2009, 11:54:49 PM3/22/09
Bill Buckley <DontS...@verizon.net> wrote:
:
: Please!! We all know that when Six Flags says "Faster and smoother" in
: terms of wooden coasters, it means reprofiling (ala Rattler, SFNE Cyclone,
: Thunder Run, etc.)

Although I must say, in the case of Thunder Run, the combination of
structural rehab, restrained reprofile, and new train resulted in a
significantly better ride and actually increased both airtime and
rideability. I know you've been burned by the Cyclone "updates" but for
Thunder Run I'm willing to give Six Flags credit for doing a nice job on
it. I just wish they had also installed the transfer table and second
train, instead of taking out the prebuilt structure for same.

Dave Althoff, Jr.

Mar 22, 2009, 11:58:14 PM3/22/09
Doug Miller <dougem...@webtv.net> wrote:
: Here's another thought to add to the mix... What about the new

: Timberliner (I think that's the name) trains from Gravity Group? Perhaps
: a GG rehab plus their new trains?

I had thought of that, but it occurs to me that in recent years Six
Flags has built two GCI coasters and nothing from TGG. I'm wondering if
the off-season evaluation of Evel Knievel had any effect on the decision
to rehab the Giant.

Mike R

Mar 23, 2009, 5:09:08 PM3/23/09
On Mar 22, 10:58 pm, "Dave Althoff, Jr."
<dalloff.gcfn....@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

The 1st Timberliner has yet to be built. I think we need to give it
some more time before we start assuming TGG's new trains are ready to
go. I think we will see one in the next couple of years but we will
have to wait and see what TGG has up its sleave. I can't wait to see
where the first one goes, (And I hope it is close to me)

Mike

coasterfanatic

Mar 23, 2009, 8:22:08 PM3/23/09
> Mike- Hide quoted text -

WRONG, The first is being built now and is supposed to test soon.

FYI.
Chuck

Andrew Brawley

Mar 24, 2009, 1:04:16 AM3/24/09

"coasterfanatic" <coaster...@aol.com> wrote in message

>FYI.
>Chuck

Umm... "Has yet to be built" means that said process has not been completed.
It in no way implies that said process has not begun and makes no claim to
any such timing of the given event. So... WRONG... the first Timberliner
has yet to be built, even if it is awaiting the painting of its last pin
stripe.

That being said, I would imagine that testing and the first implementation
would most likely occur on a ride of their own design.

-Andrew

rende...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2009, 9:05:51 AM3/24/09
Eric wrote:
>  I've been
> slowly turning into a GCI fanboy since SFDK (nee SFMW) got "Roar".

And I humbly (yet brazenly) admit that I find myself moving in the
opposite direction.

Since riding Kentucky Rumbler, Thunderhead, and Powerpark's
Thunderbird (in Finland), I've slowly come to the realization that my
favorite single aspect of a good wooden coaster is the sudden
transitions between negative and positive G's.

While GCI's coasters are, undoubtedly, beautiful works-of-art -- their
rides are carefully calculated to contain absolutely *NO* negative
G's. They may contain plenty of fleeting moments of ZERO G's; but
never any negative G's.

Indeed, I have almost decided to drop all of the GCI's I've ridden
into the "Bottom Fifty" of my ballot of Mitch Hawker's year-end poll.

There. I've said it -- In a public forum. I have committed "Coaster
Blasphemy". I don't care. Because I don't *care* for their coasters. I
ride'em like I ride kiddie coasters: Queue, Sit, Ride, "Ka-Ching".
Never look back.

I guess that makes me a "fanboy" of Gravity Group's, Vekoma's and even
Intamin's (pre-fab'd) wooden coasters.

Further, I guess that makes me a freak around here,
:Rendell

p.s. And I'm going to let my Freak Flag Fly proudly!

freddie

Mar 24, 2009, 2:19:40 PM3/24/09
On Mar 24, 9:05 am, "rendellb...@gmail.com" <rendellb...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Maybe you caught Rumbler on a bad day? I remember there being pops of
ejector between all the floater hills you mentioned for the most
part.....In the small hill after the first fan turn, the small hill
before the flyby that goes over the queue, and in most of the banking
transitions towards the end of the ride. It was no SROS, but it
definitely had some strong pops when I rode it.

On the other hand, I can't remember more than ONE moment of ejector
air on Voyage, and maybe 2 or 3 on Hades. Those rides were completely
floater for the most part.

msul...@ntmllc.com

Mar 24, 2009, 3:41:36 PM3/24/09
On Mar 24, 11:19 am, freddie <boulderdash...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On the other hand, I can't remember more than ONE moment of ejector

> air on Voyage...

Wow...talk about someone who caught a coaster on a bad day!

Mike R

Mar 24, 2009, 4:11:08 PM3/24/09
On Mar 24, 12:04 am, "Andrew Brawley" <dj_d...@coasterboys.com> wrote:
> "coasterfanatic" <coasterfana...@aol.com> wrote in message

Hopefully one that has had a lot of retracking in its short life
because of the aggressive nature... :)

I know a Timberliner is being built. We have all seen pictures of the
axles and wheels, but I have yet to see a picture of even a partially
built train. Drawings? yes. Pictures, no. But this is rrc and
someone sharpshooting every statement is the name of the game. People
just love to tell you your wrong without reading what you wrote...lol

But. I am very excited about this train and can not wait to see its
debut.

bassis...@hotmail.com

Mar 24, 2009, 5:06:33 PM3/24/09
On Mar 24, 4:11 pm, Mike R <mikedrobin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Peopl just love to tell you your wrong without reading what you wrote...lol

Ya know, Mike, I respect you and all, but you're wrong.

:-)

msul...@ntmllc.com

Mar 24, 2009, 5:58:48 PM3/24/09
On Mar 24, 2:06 pm, "bassistist...@hotmail.com"
<bassistist...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Ya know, Mike, I respect you and all, but you're wrong.

Dude, get it right: his name is Micheal. M-I-C-H-E-A-L. SHEESH!

Mike R

Mar 24, 2009, 6:27:56 PM3/24/09

OK, you are both right. :D

msul...@ntmllc.com

Mar 24, 2009, 6:43:39 PM3/24/09
On Mar 24, 3:27 pm, Mike R <mikedrobin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, you are both right.  :D

WRONG! (unless you do spell your name with an "eal" at the end?)

Dave Althoff, Jr.

Mar 24, 2009, 6:43:54 PM3/24/09
: On Mar 23, 5:09 pm, Mike R <mikedrobin...@gmail.com> wrote:
: > The 1st Timberliner has yet to be built.  I think we need to give it

: > some more time before we start assuming TGG's new trains are ready to
: > go.  I think we will see one in the next couple of years but we will
: > have to wait and see what TGG has up its sleave.  I can't wait to see
: > where the first one goes, (And I hope it is close to me)
: >
: > Mike- Hide quoted text -
: >
:
: WRONG, The first is being built now and is supposed to test soon.
:
: FYI.
: Chuck

Yes, but that's a long way from "service proven".

BaSSiStiSt

Mar 24, 2009, 7:15:17 PM3/24/09
"freddie" <boulder...@verizon.net> wrote in message

>On the other hand, I can't remember more than ONE moment of ejector
>air on Voyage

I thought we were discussing Voyage, not Gwazi??

<-----cornfused

msul...@ntmllc.com

Mar 24, 2009, 7:22:25 PM3/24/09
On Mar 24, 4:15 pm, "BaSSiStiSt" <dreadpirateb...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

> <-----cornfused

That's inconceivable!

coasterfanatic

Mar 24, 2009, 7:46:15 PM3/24/09
On Mar 24, 9:05 am, "rendellb...@gmail.com" <rendellb...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Actually I agree 100 percent. There is a definate lake of speed
changes. Floating or ejector airtime on GCII's Matter of fact the
longest airtime moment I've had on one is Lightning Racer.

That being said, I don't dislike GCII's but I do find a lack of
standout moments or sheer intensity other manufacturers have
implemented But I guess the coaster has to be rideable for 3hrs
straight to be considered good these days.

Nevermind.

Chuck

David Sandborg

Mar 24, 2009, 7:53:26 PM3/24/09
In article
<e617e96e-1793-4ad0...@v38g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
freddie <boulder...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On Mar 24, 9:05 am, "rendellb...@gmail.com" <rendellb...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Indeed, I have almost decided to drop all of the GCI's I've ridden
> > into the "Bottom Fifty" of my ballot of Mitch Hawker's year-end poll.
> >
> > There. I've said it -- In a public forum. I have committed "Coaster
> > Blasphemy". I don't care. Because I don't *care* for their coasters. I
> > ride'em like I ride kiddie coasters: Queue, Sit, Ride, "Ka-Ching".
> > Never look back.

Rendell, I don't think you're all that unusual for favoring Gravity
Group over GCI. I know a lot of people (myself included) who feel the
same way, though I wouldn't go so far as to put GCI into the bottom
fifty. They're in a sort of middle bracket for me.

> Maybe you caught Rumbler on a bad day? I remember there being pops of
> ejector between all the floater hills you mentioned for the most
> part.....In the small hill after the first fan turn, the small hill
> before the flyby that goes over the queue, and in most of the banking
> transitions towards the end of the ride. It was no SROS, but it
> definitely had some strong pops when I rode it.

I think there may be a terminology and/or taste difference here. I do
think that some of the newer GCI's probably do have genuine negative
G's. At least it feels like it to me. However I find that just about
any force they exert that's not downward is pretty momentary. (I may be
wrong about laterals but I can't recall any real sustained lateral
moments offhand.) Admittedly there are some GCI's I haven't ridden but
I can't recall any that has any sustained airtime. And there's also a
question of aggressiveness, which GG is clearly better at.

Dunno, trying to just get some thoughts out there, I haven't really had
a chance to work out the details. I'll let Saunders do that. :-)

--
Dave Sandborg
Remove Spam-away to respond via e-mail.

Mike R

Mar 24, 2009, 9:05:27 PM3/24/09

Well, your right. I was just going against the trend. You can spell
my name any way you want moosh!

msul...@ntmllc.com

Mar 24, 2009, 9:21:40 PM3/24/09
On Mar 24, 6:05 pm, Mike R <mikedrobin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, your right.  I was just going against the trend.  You can spell
> my name any way you want moosh!

M-I-C-H-A-E-sexy! : - )

Andrew Brawley

Mar 25, 2009, 1:23:49 AM3/25/09

"Mike R" <mikedr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Geez... I'm sorry. I didn't mean for that to come across so bitchy. See
what happens when I don't take my meds at the same time every day? :-0

Mike R

Mar 25, 2009, 9:34:33 AM3/25/09
On Mar 25, 12:23 am, "Andrew Brawley" <dj_d...@coasterboys.com> wrote:
> "Mike R" <mikedrobin...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> what happens when I don't take my meds at the same time every day?  :-0- Hide quoted text -

Your fine Andrew, actually I took it as you agreeing with me. Its all
good here.

Mike "wrong" R.

Mike R

Mar 25, 2009, 9:35:50 AM3/25/09

You need to remind Dawn and you trying to get me in trouble with Todd?

Mike "Mamoosh is so right" R

freddie

Mar 25, 2009, 2:21:50 PM3/25/09
On Mar 24, 7:53 pm, David Sandborg <sandd...@Spam-away.ix.netcom.com>
wrote:
> In article
> <e617e96e-1793-4ad0-8dd8-0ce243f14...@v38g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,

Yeah, I do agree a lot of this is subjective. Just to clarify my
definition of floater is being gently lifted into the bar for a
sustained period of time (which I actually do remember Rumbler having
over the "long" hills) and ejector being a sudden, somewhat strong
'pop' (which is why the only thing I'd consider on Voyage to be
ejector is the double down into the turnaround). Maybe like you said,
the difference in terminology is why I can't understand the hype
behind Voyage's air but thought Rumbler had lots of it and in
different presentations.

Richard Koppelman

Mar 25, 2009, 5:23:08 PM3/25/09
Rendell,

Your not alone.

Rich

<rende...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Eric Griswold

Mar 26, 2009, 11:09:49 AM3/26/09
"rende...@gmail.com" <rende...@gmail.com> writes:

> Eric wrote:
>>  I've been
>> slowly turning into a GCI fanboy since SFDK (nee SFMW) got "Roar".
>

> While GCI's coasters are, undoubtedly, beautiful works-of-art -- their

> rides are carefully calculated to contain absolutely *NO* negative
> G's. They may contain plenty of fleeting moments of ZERO G's; but
> never any negative G's.

Point acknowledged.

I *love* negative G's as well, but I don't consider them necessary.
The GCI floaters just seem to go well with their artistic designs.

> I guess that makes me a "fanboy" of Gravity Group's, Vekoma's and even
> Intamin's (pre-fab'd) wooden coasters.

I've lots of love for GG these days, as well. They keep knocking my socks off.

Intamin, not so much, but my exposure has been minimal.

Eric

Mike R

Apr 15, 2009, 5:11:37 PM4/15/09
> Chuck- Hide quoted text -

Well Damn, Just saw a video of the new train on the Holiblog. While
not a finished product it sure looked nice.......

coasterfanatic

Apr 16, 2009, 1:32:15 AM4/16/09
> not a finished product it sure looked nice.......- Hide quoted text -

http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/2009/04/train-of-different-color.html

Happy now :) I wasn't gloating, wasn't lying. True it wasn't in
operation but my birdies are reliable.
Chuck

Tim Melago

Apr 16, 2009, 6:13:17 PM4/16/09
On Mar 25, 5:23 pm, "Richard Koppelman" <bls...@velocity.net> wrote:
> Rendell,
>
> Your not alone.
>
> Rich
>
> <rendellb...@gmail.com> wrote in message

The Voyage made me realize that I really enjoy sudden transitions from
positive to negative G forces on a coaster as well. I still love major
airtime but Shivering Timbers ain't what it used to be and the days of
lapbar room are long gone. El Toro has some nice airtime hills but
you're pinned in your seat. So I've come to appreciate coasters with
an out of control nature. Solid airtime, runaway speed and sudden
transitions. That's basically what the Gravity Group builds and
they're 3 for 3 so far.

I'm not totally down on GCIs. There are some that I enjoy but they're
simply no match for Gravity Group coasters in the thrill department
for me. My highest rated GCIs are in the 20-30 range on my list. They
can be decent, they offer some airtime and some action. Aside from
dealing with their absolutely awful lapbars, they're usually pretty
fun. I'm looking forward to riding Prowler and Terminator this year.
But GG has three of my top 5 coasters. They are built to be thrill
rides.

kirk_ri...@yahoo.com

Apr 17, 2009, 8:01:47 AM4/17/09

> I'm not totally down on GCIs. There are some that I enjoy but they're
> simply no match for Gravity Group coasters in the thrill department
> for me.

I am so glad others feel this way. Being pushed down in my seat all
the time is not thrilling. Some people say GCI's are smooth...well
they feel smooth because you are constantly being pushed down in your
seat. GG does a much better job of creating airtime, pop-up
transitions, etc. Personally, I am a huge fan of Ravine Flyer II as it
is such a great ride, but actually worth riding back to back to
back.

Will GCI's or GG coasters hold up to the strain and fatigue better?

Coastin Steve

Apr 18, 2009, 9:33:42 AM4/18/09
Kirk wrote

Will GCI's or GG coasters hold up to the strain and fatigue better?

Aw come on, you should realize the answer to that

You've just got done saying that GG coasters offer more laterals,
ejector airs, ie more moments of strain on the riders and the train /
ride.
So of course GCI's will hold up better, they're not as
"strainfull" <is there such a word> as the GG coasters.

So, we know what "we" like, but which would a park actually
prefer ?

Coastin Steve

http://community.webtv.net/Coastin_Steve/FlyingTurnsFotosbyCS

coasterfanatic

Apr 19, 2009, 9:29:26 AM4/19/09

Theres no proof in what you just said though. Thunderhead is pretty
quick and hits its transitions hard. Yet little maintainence is needed
with the articulation. WIldcat is prime example the trains of the
past do not mix wll with the coaster of the future.

Ironic is that the general idea behind the mf trains are also well
from the past. The TGGs are a little different the cars are built on
a spine fully articulated im told they also have steer capabilitis.
Birdies say, not only can they be launched, they could handle loops,
corkscrews and certainly can be run backwards.

Wolf

Apr 19, 2009, 11:30:43 AM4/19/09
Theres no proof in what you just said though. Thunderhead is pretty
quick and hits its transitions hard. Yet little maintainence is needed
with the articulation. WIldcat is prime example the trains of the
past do not mix wll with the coaster of the future.

Ironic is that the general idea behind the mf trains are also well
from the past. The TGGs are a little different the cars are built on
a spine fully articulated im told they also have steer capabilitis.
Birdies say, not only can they be launched, they could handle loops,
corkscrews and certainly can be run backwards.

There's nothing special about being launched. That's only as hard on a train
as braking is.

--
|\-/|
<0 0>