Longevity of Coax and Antennas

Lenny

Dec 22, 2006, 6:36:03 AM12/22/06
I've had my Antenna Supermarket Eavesdropper Dipole up for about 4 years
now.
Lately, it seems that reception isn't what it used to be.
Could it be the antenna and coax?
Or is it more likely that reception conditions are lousy?
If you think it is the antenna, could you please suggest a replacement
antenna and high grade coax system for me?
Please keep it simple, I really don't want to get into all the theory and I
don't have a lot of time to research and construct an antenna.
Thanks all.
Lenny

RHF

Dec 22, 2006, 6:54:11 AM12/22/06
Lenny,

Unless there is some physical damage to the Antenna
and/or the Coax Cable they both should be fairly good
after four years.

1 - Take the Antenna and Coax Cable down
- Inspect the Antenna for Damage
- Inspect the Coax Cable for Damage

2 - Dis-assemble the Coax Cable Connections
- Clean them
- Re-connect them
- Seal them

3 - Check your Insulators and Feed-Point Mount
- Clean them thoroughly
- Repace if needed

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF
.
.
. .

RHF

Dec 22, 2006, 7:06:27 AM12/22/06
Lenny,

If your Antenna Supermarket Eavesdropper Dipole Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0680.html
is also using a Zap Trapper (or other device) in-line with the
Coax Cable then also check it out too.

Antenna Super Market Zap Trapper
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/protect/2993.html

Many Shortwave Listeners (SWLs) prefer the Alpha Delta
ATT3G50 type of Lightening {Static Discharge} Protection
becauseof the replaceable Gas Tube ARC-PLUG Module.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/protect/4003.html

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF
.
.
. .

> > Lenny- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Lenny

Dec 22, 2006, 7:07:10 AM12/22/06
Hey, thanks for the quick response RHF.
I'm also thinking about putting up a random wire antenna.
Exactly how do you attach the wire to the coax feed?
And is there a best antenna wire to use?
Finally, could somebody point me to a simple primer for antenna building?
Thanks again.
Lenny

"RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Doug Smith W9WI

Dec 22, 2006, 9:19:02 AM12/22/06
Lenny wrote:
> Hey, thanks for the quick response RHF.
> I'm also thinking about putting up a random wire antenna.
> Exactly how do you attach the wire to the coax feed?
> And is there a best antenna wire to use?

Conditions have been pretty bad lately. I wouldn't be so worried about
your antenna. (and as RHF says, most antenna damage is visibly
apparent, it will be obvious to a good inspection)

With a random wire, just connect the wire to the center conductor of the
coax feed. If possible, connect the shield of the coax to a good earth
ground. A 9:1 balun can be helpful but not obligatory. Experiment: as
long as the antenna is a safe distance from power lines, nothing you try
can cause any damage.

The "best" antenna wire to use is whatever will stay up<grin>.
Seriously, due to "skin effect" any wire that's physically strong enough
to use will be big enough to work electrically. Just use whatever's
cheap, convenient, and safely able to hold its own weight. Insulated or
not, doesn't matter.

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Ron Hardin

Dec 22, 2006, 9:41:34 AM12/22/06
My underground coax craps out from time to time, on one line or another.

I have about 1500 feet underground, and lose one piece or another maybe
once every couple of years.

--
Ron Hardin
rhha...@mindspring.com

Keith

Dec 22, 2006, 10:29:05 AM12/22/06
In article <bNSdncYft-3uVxbY...@comcast.com>,
"Lenny" <frei...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Hey, thanks for the quick response RHF.
> I'm also thinking about putting up a random wire antenna.
> Exactly how do you attach the wire to the coax feed?

You will need an antenna tuner AKA transmatch or a balun.

> And is there a best antenna wire to use?

What matters is the length and construction used to make the wire. You
can use insulated wire to help hide the wire from neighbors if you need
to. You do want to use solid wire since the signals are collected on the
surface of the wire for the best results.

HTH,

Keith

RHF

Dec 22, 2006, 10:08:58 PM12/22/06

On Dec 22, 7:29 am, Keith <s...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> In article <bNSdncYft-3uVxbYnZ2dnUVZ_tCtn...@comcast.com>,

> "Lenny" <freil...@comcast.net> wrote:
> > Hey, thanks for the quick response RHF.
> > I'm also thinking about putting up a random wire antenna.
> > Exactly how do you attach the wire to the coax feed? You will need an antenna tuner AKA transmatch or a balun.
>

> > And is there a best antenna wire to use?What matters is the length and construction used to make the wire. You

> can use insulated wire to help hide the wire from neighbors if you need
> to.

- You do want to use solid wire since the signals are collected
- on the surface of the wire for the best results.

QUESTION - What's Your Opinion "Antenna Wire" : Solid -or- Stranded ?

let the debate begin ~ RHF
.
.
. .

> HTH,
>
> Keith

D Peter Maus

Dec 23, 2006, 1:05:44 AM12/23/06

Realistically, solid or stranded...makes minor differences in
reception signal capture. But stranded tends to have greater strength in
standing up against wind, ice & snow, and squirrels who seem to like to
Wallenda the length of the yard.

Carter-k8vt

Dec 23, 2006, 8:55:54 AM12/23/06
RHF wrote:

> QUESTION - What's Your Opinion "Antenna Wire" : Solid -or- Stranded ?

Electrically, I believe that there is no detectable difference.

Mechanically, stranded wire is used in situations where vibration and/or
flexing is present. Needles to say, an outdoor (as opposed to an attic)
antenna is subject to flexing and thus IMHO, stranded wire would be the
better choice.

Now, you didn't ask about insulated vs. non-insulated wire or regular
wire vs. 'Copperweld' (tm). Saving those for another debate, are we?

:-)

Carter
K8VT

David

Dec 23, 2006, 9:18:18 AM12/23/06
On 22 Dec 2006 19:08:58 -0800, "RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>QUESTION - What's Your Opinion "Antenna Wire" : Solid -or- Stranded ?

25 g steel wire from the hardware store is very strong. Braided
chandelier wire is also very nice.

dxAce

Dec 23, 2006, 9:40:03 AM12/23/06

RHF wrote:

I use #10 stranded and insulated here.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

cuh...@webtv.net

Dec 23, 2006, 9:59:53 AM12/23/06
Insulated wire used outside.When it rains,water can find itself inside
of that wire and get trapped in there.Doesn't that make a difference?
cuhulin

HFguy

Dec 23, 2006, 2:09:20 PM12/23/06

How do you maintain a low resistance connection to steel wire which is
outside in the elements?

cuh...@webtv.net

Dec 23, 2006, 2:13:32 PM12/23/06
I wouldn't use stranded wire. (despite what the naysayers might say) I
would use good old bare naked (non insulated) steel wire.
cuhulin

D Peter Maus

Dec 23, 2006, 3:02:21 PM12/23/06

Wirenuts with a synthetic grease always worked for me. I"ve seen
solder jobs potted in silicone. There are a number of solutions to that
kind of a problem.

I recently had the opportunity to drive through one of the
neighborhoods of my distant past. I hadn't lived there since 66. The
house was still there, in a about the same shape as we'd left it. The
screen door on the front still had the number plate I'd made in Cub
Scouts...pressed quilted aluminum sheets in natural color with black
cursive digits framed with aluminum scroll.

The owners were gracious enough to give me a brief tour.

It hadn't really been changed much at all.

And hanging under the eave where my bedroom had been was the steel
wire antenna I had used for my Remco crystal set. It has been painted
over a couple of times, but the steel wire, the original plastic
insulators (stamped REMCO), were still there. Apparently in use by one
of the kids in the house.

Memories.

The connection to an outdoor steel wire is a lot less problematic than
it would appear. :)

Doug Smith W9WI

Dec 23, 2006, 8:10:11 PM12/23/06
RHF wrote:
> - You do want to use solid wire since the signals are collected
> - on the surface of the wire for the best results.
>
> QUESTION - What's Your Opinion "Antenna Wire" : Solid -or- Stranded ?
>
> let the debate begin ~ RHF

If the signals are collected on the surface of the wire, wouldn't you
want to use *stranded* wire? For the same gauge, it would have a
greater surface area.

Due to the skin effect I would suggest stranded would also have lower
resistance: lower losses delivering the signal from the outer parts of
the antenna to the feedline.

But I believe the difference is negligible. Really, the only
consideration for a receiving antenna should be mechanical: how hard is
it to get the antenna strung and will it *stay* strung once you string it?

I use #14 stranded, sold at Home Depot for home wiring.

I do have a 700' Beverage using solid aluminum electric fence wire.
ONLY because it was dirt cheap. The stuff is really hard to work with.
(and I managed to snap it twice trying to pull it through the woods)

Telamon

Dec 23, 2006, 9:05:26 PM12/23/06
In article <458DD36C...@invalid.invalid>,

What makes the skin effect occur is electrons repulsing each other. The
higher the frequency the higher the electric field flux so the
electrons tend to occupy the conductor outer skin. Even with multiple
insulated conductors bundled together the electrons would only occupy
the outside of the most outside conductors at higher frequencies.
Multi-stranded wire will not help once you go above a certain
frequency. You would have to calculate using the frequency of operation
and the size of each strand with the number of strands to know if a
litz type wire will help you increase the conductance of a wire path.

Usually this number is less then a few megahertz for most available
litz wire so that type of wire is useful for AMBCB and lower frequencies.

If the conductors are not insulated from each other then they act as one
conductor.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

HFguy

Dec 23, 2006, 9:46:56 PM12/23/06
D Peter Maus wrote:

> HFguy wrote:
>
>> David wrote:

>>> 25 g steel wire from the hardware store is very strong. Braided
>>> chandelier wire is also very nice.
>>
>> How do you maintain a low resistance connection to steel wire which is
>> outside in the elements?
>
> Wirenuts with a synthetic grease always worked for me. I"ve seen solder
> jobs potted in silicone. There are a number of solutions to that kind of
> a problem.
>

> The connection to an outdoor steel wire is a lot less problematic than
> it would appear. :)

I don't think I would trust anything less than a welded or brazed
connection over the long term.

David

Dec 23, 2006, 10:12:52 PM12/23/06

My Palomar MLB uses tinned stranded wire for the HiZ side and this
solders nicely to shiny steel. I then cover with 3M putty (aka CoAx
Seal) and some 33+. Excellent connection and quite windproof.

HFguy

Dec 23, 2006, 10:54:17 PM12/23/06

What kind of solder? Any special flux or paste used?

cuh...@webtv.net

Dec 24, 2006, 12:06:36 AM12/24/06
Solid steel wire.None of that sissy greasy kid stuff stranded ''wire''
for me.
cuhulin

RHF

Dec 24, 2006, 4:38:10 AM12/24/06
= = = On Dec 23, 5:55 am, Carter-k8vt <k...@ameritech.net> wrote:
> RHF wrote:
> > QUESTION - What's Your Opinion "Antenna Wire" : Solid -or- Stranded ?Electrically, I believe that there is no detectable difference.

> Mechanically, stranded wire is used in situations where vibration and/or
> flexing is present. Needles to say, an outdoor (as opposed to an attic)
> antenna is subject to flexing and thus IMHO, stranded wire would be the
> better choice.
>
> Now, you didn't ask about insulated vs. non-insulated wire or regular
> wire vs. 'Copperweld' (tm). Saving those for another debate, are we?
>
> :-)
>
> Carter
> K8VT

Carter [K8VT],

Yes most Solid or Stranded Wire may have very little
'difference' Electrically as a Wire Antenna Element.
And Yes - Stranded Wire of the same Size usually is
more durable then Solid Wire.

EXCEPT - For Stranded "Litz" Wire which has each Strand
Insulated from the others and thus has a much greater RF
Surface Area for a given Size OD Stranded Wire Bundle.

ABOUT - Litzendraht Wire [ LITZ WIRE ]
http://home.earthlink.net/~jimlux/hv/litz.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litz_wire

TIP - WHEN TO USE LITZ WIRE :
* For short [ under 30-Feet ] Shortwave Listening (SWL)
Antennas - Consider using Litz Wire as the Multi-Wire
Antenna Element.
* For In-the-Attic -and- In-the-Room Shortwave Listening
(SWL) Antennas - Consider using Litz Wire as the Multi-Wire
Antenna Element.
* For Under-the-Eaves and Hidden [Stealth] No-See-Em
Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antennas - Consider using
Litz Wire as the Multi-Wire Antenna Element.

While it is not Litz Wire "Flex-Weave" Antenna Wire
is easy to work with and durable.
FLEX-WEAVE => http://www.davisrf.com/ham1/flexweve.htm
* Flex-Weave Antenna Wire is a sophisticated "Hybrid"
Aerial Wire.
* Flex-Weave Antenna Wire is sometimes referred to
as "Wire Rope" Ulta-Flexible Aerial Wire.
* Flex-Weave comes in # 14 AWG Wire composed
of 168 Individual Strands of # 36 AWG Wire.
- Bare Wire -or- Insulated Wire -
- - - HEY ! - You Can Always Say : " My Shortwave Listening
Antenna - I Use Flex-Weave ".

ABOUT - Litzendraht Wire [ LITZ WIRE ] - TIP - When To Use Litz Wire
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/11774
.
.
staying flexable and weaving my words - iane ~ RHF
.
.
I-B Somewhere on "The Big Blue Marble"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blue_Marble
{ Earth - The Third Planet from the Sun }
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_planet_from_the_Sun
.
Shortwave Listener Antennas => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
SWL Antenna Group => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
.
The Shortwave Listener's Blessing :
SWL BLESSING => http://tinyurl.com/s2bjm
May You Never Tire of Listening to the Radio and Always
have Strong Signals and Noise Free Reception ~ RHF {ibid}
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/9233
.
Tous Sont Bienvenus ! - - - Groupe par Radio
d'auditeur d'onde courte pour des Antennes de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Alle Sind Willkommen ! - - - Shortwave Radiozuhörer
Gruppe für SWL Antennen
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Tutti Sono Benvenuti ! - - - Gruppo Radiofonico
dell'ascoltatore di onda corta per le Antenne di SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Todos São Bem-vindos ! - - - Grupo de Rádio
do ouvinte do Shortwave para Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Все Радушны ! - - - Группа оператора
на приеме коротковолнового диапазона
Radio для Aнтенн SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
¡Todos Son Agradables! - - - Grupo de Radio del oyente
de la onda corta para las Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
= = = = Plain Old American-English Translation = = = =
All are Welcome - - - To Join the Shortwave Listeners
(SWL) Antenna Group on YAHOO !
.

/ \
.......!.......

RHF

Dec 24, 2006, 4:43:13 AM12/24/06

- I use #10 stranded and insulated here.
-
- dxAce
- Michigan
- USA

DX Ace - Straight from the Hardware Store ? :o) ~ RHF
.
.
. .

RHF

Dec 24, 2006, 5:05:07 AM12/24/06

On Dec 23, 6:05 pm, Telamon
<telamon_spamshi...@pacbell.net.is.invalid> wrote:
> In article <458DD36C.3020...@invalid.invalid>,

> Doug Smith W9WI <w...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>

> > RHF wrote:
> > > - You do want to use solid wire since the signals are collected
> > > - on the surface of the wire for the best results.
>
> > > QUESTION - What's Your Opinion "Antenna Wire" : Solid -or- Stranded ?
>
> > > let the debate begin ~ RHF
>
> > If the signals are collected on the surface of the wire, wouldn't you
> > want to use *stranded* wire? For the same gauge, it would have a
> > greater surface area.
>
> > Due to the skin effect I would suggest stranded would also have lower
> > resistance: lower losses delivering the signal from the outer parts of
> > the antenna to the feedline.
>
> > But I believe the difference is negligible. Really, the only
> > consideration for a receiving antenna should be mechanical: how hard is
> > it to get the antenna strung and will it *stay* strung once you string it?
>
> > I use #14 stranded, sold at Home Depot for home wiring.
>
> > I do have a 700' Beverage using solid aluminum electric fence wire.
> > ONLY because it was dirt cheap. The stuff is really hard to work with.

> > (and I managed to snap it twice trying to pull it through the woods)What makes the skin effect occur is electrons repulsing each other. The

> higher the frequency the higher the electric field flux so the
> electrons tend to occupy the conductor outer skin. Even with multiple
> insulated conductors bundled together the electrons would only occupy
> the outside of the most outside conductors at higher frequencies.
> Multi-stranded wire will not help once you go above a certain
> frequency. You would have to calculate using the frequency of operation
> and the size of each strand with the number of strands to know if a
> litz type wire will help you increase the conductance of a wire path.
>
> Usually this number is less then a few megahertz for most available
> litz wire so that type of wire is useful for AMBCB and lower frequencies.

- If the conductors are not insulated from each other
- then they act as one conductor.
- --
- Telamon
- Ventura, California

Telamon - That is my basic understanding. ~ RHF

IIRC - With a 19-Strand Copper Wire like the THHN type
common Electrical Wire used for Household Wiring the
Nineteen (19) Strands :
1 = Center Core Wire
6 = Middle Layer Wires
12 = Outer Layer Wires *
* It is the Twelve (12) Outer Layer Wires that do all
the RF Signal handling and they some what effectively
'shield' the inner seven (7) wires.
* However it is the Seven (7) Inner Wires that give the
Stranded Wire its greater flexibility and durability.

"THHN" -means- Thermoplastic High Heat-Resistant Nylon-Coated
THHN => http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/THHN
http://www.alanwire.com/awscripts/makspecs.cgi?ntype=THHN
http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/14-48-building-wire-thhn.aspx
http://www.doityourself.com/icat/1214gauge
http://customcable.thomasnet.com/viewitems/building-wire/-wire-type-thhn-or-thhn-pvc-with-nylon-jacket-600v?&forward=1

.
.
. .

David

Dec 24, 2006, 10:29:45 AM12/24/06

No. Please read below and note that tin, lead and steel are adjacent
in the galvanic order:

''There is a direct relationship between various types of dissimilar
metals when they are mated. Some dissimliar metals, such as copper and
brass, when mated cause very little corrosion. There are other metals,
however, that react most harshly when matched. Zinc and brass, for
example, will cause corrosion with the zinc metal quickly breaking
down. If you wish to prevent galvanic corrosion the best means, of
course, is to use the same metal throughout your construction. If this
is not possible your next course of action would be to assemble
materials that have a close relationship on a galvanic metals table.
Here is a descending list of metals and their associated relationships
in order of the most "noble" or least active.

least active

gold

silver
silver solder
bronze
copper
brass
nickel (plating)

tin
lead
lead-tin solder
stainless steel
iron/steel

aluminum alloys
aluminum
zinc-galvanized steel

most active

zinc

When choosing materials you should try to pick a metal part made from
the type closest to the other metal parts you will be using as charted
on the above list. It is very important to consider EVERY part of your
antenna including clamps and washers. For example, if brass screws are
used to hold aluminum tubing in place they will cause a headache when
corrosion takes hold. The better choices would be either
stainless-steel screws to secure aluminum tubing or brass screws to
hold copper tubing.''

http://hometown.aol.com/haminfo/hammingout.html

Again, waterproof the joint.

cuh...@webtv.net

Dec 24, 2006, 12:01:50 PM12/24/06
I have a fifty foot long extension cord here.(yeah,I have some other
extension cords here too) I once draped it around the rooms in my
house,used it for a shortwave radio antenna,it did quite well too,I
might add) That extension cord broke in two just from the age of
it.Nothing beats solid steel non stranded wire for shortwave antennas.Or
good old Barbed Wire.
cuhulin

D Peter Maus

Dec 24, 2006, 1:04:44 PM12/24/06
Lenny wrote:
> I've had my Antenna Supermarket Eavesdropper Dipole up for about 4 years
> now.
> Lately, it seems that reception isn't what it used to be.
> Could it be the antenna and coax?
> Or is it more likely that reception conditions are lousy?
> If you think it is the antenna, could you please suggest a replacement
> antenna and high grade coax system for me?
> Please keep it simple, I really don't want to get into all the theory and I
> don't have a lot of time to research and construct an antenna.
> Thanks all.
> Lenny

I had an Eavesdropper up for nearly 15 years, with no real signs of
aging. And no deterioration in performance up to the point I took it
down to move it, and then found that I really don't need it with my
other antennae in place.

I have replaced the coax more than once, in that time, however. The
jacket cracked. Moisture gets into the coax and performance drops
precipitously.

Check your traps for signs of leakage. Not likely, but possible.
Especially in direct sunlight, and with large swings in temperature.

Check your connectors for signs of corrosion. Corroded connectors
will be a source of ground irregularities and mismatches. Higher noise.
And if the inner contact is corroded, reduced signal. But if the
connectors are corroded, you're almost always going to have moisture in
the coax. Replace it. With a coax of UV resistant jacket.

When you reinstall the coax, a little synthetic grease on the
connectors will help seal prevent corrosion, while CoaxSeal or similar
application will seal moisture out of the assembly.

Properly sealed, your installation will be trouble free for as long
as the coax jacket remains unbroken.

But as another poster commented, conditions haven't been good for
awhile. Be sure that's not what you're seeing. No need worrying about
things that don't require it.

cuh...@webtv.net

Dec 24, 2006, 1:12:50 PM12/24/06
Yeah,,,,, outside,,,,, coax can SUCK!
cuhulin

cuh...@webtv.net

Dec 24, 2006, 1:14:50 PM12/24/06
coax,outside is like a weep.It sucks up all kinds of S..T.
cuhulin

cuh...@webtv.net

Dec 24, 2006, 1:11:36 PM12/24/06
I would guesstimate,replace the coax at least once every five years or
so.There is a BIG difference in the quality (read that,Big Bucks) of
coax too.
cuhulin

RHF

Dec 25, 2006, 1:12:23 PM12/25/06
FWIW - Many Crystal Radio Enthusiasts like to use Litz Wire
to build their Radio-Antenna Coils.

Litz Wire [Type 175/46] for Coils, Loop Antennas and
Crystal Radio Sets - Length 50 Feet
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ300061128335
http://myworld.ebay.com/vanagon/
http://stores.ebay.com/RESCUE-ELECTRONIC-SURPLUS

Note - The right 'type' of Litz Wire can help a Crystal Radio to
perform up to it's full potential in the AM/MW Broadcast Band.

iane ~ RHF
.

/ \
.......!......

= = = On Dec 24, 1:38 am, "RHF" <rhf-newsgro...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> [...]

>  .

> SWL Antenna Group =>http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
>  .
> The Shortwave Listener's Blessing :
> SWL BLESSING =>http://tinyurl.com/s2bjm
> May You Never Tire of Listening to the Radio and Always

>  .
> Tous Sont Bienvenus ! - - - Groupe par Radio

>  .
> Alle Sind Willkommen ! - - - Shortwave Radiozuhörer

>  .
> Tutti Sono Benvenuti ! - - - Gruppo Radiofonico

>  .
> Todos São Bem-vindos ! - - - Grupo de Rádio

>  .
> Все Радушны ! - - - Группа оператора
> на приеме коротковолнового диапазона

>  .
> ¡Todos Son Agradables! - - - Grupo de Radio del oyente

cuh...@webtv.net

Dec 25, 2006, 3:39:09 PM12/25/06
www.devilfinder.com Super Long Distance Crystal Radios

Some good stuff there.Depending on how such a radio is built,it can
reach way out there.Crystal Shortwave Radios too.
cuhulin

N9NEO

Dec 27, 2006, 8:56:21 AM12/27/06

I agree with Doug on the Home Depot #14 stranded. I think I paid about
11 bucks for a 500' spool.

Got a question for you Telamon. I think you are power supply guy like
me. Why is it that for Ham radio tank coil people don't use litz wire?
Most tank coils are made from Copper tubing I see. I suppose the
surface area of a 3/8" copper tube would be fairly large and does ok,
and litz would require a coilform. The reason I asked is because I
remember a large battery charger at UW *Go Badgers!* It was a large
resonant 500kw battery charger that used some litz wire.

73
NEO

RHF

Dec 27, 2006, 2:32:50 PM12/27/06

On Dec 27, 5:56 am, "N9NEO" <yzordder...@verizon.net> wrote:

> Telamon wrote:
> > In article <458DD36C.3020...@invalid.invalid>,

> > Ventura, CaliforniaI agree with Doug on the Home Depot #14 stranded. I think I paid about

> 11 bucks for a 500' spool.
>
> Got a question for you Telamon. I think you are power supply guy like
> me.

- Why is it that for Ham radio tank coil people don't use litz wire?
- Most tank coils are made from Copper tubing I see.
- I suppose the surface area of a 3/8" copper tube would be fairly
large
- and does ok, and litz would require a coilform.

Why Cooper Tubing -over- Litz Wire :
Raw Power Handling Ability and Relative Lower Cost.

yes it is that simple - iane ~ RHF