Is there a GE Superadio IV in Our Futures . . .

RHF

Sep 20, 2002, 5:45:37 PM9/20/02
So Does Anyone Know: Is there a GE Superadio IV in Our Futures?

How Long has the current Superadio III been out? 1985> ???? <1995

Is there a Future (Potential Market) for a Superadio IV ?
(Hey, If there is NO Money in It: Why Make It ?)

I think that someone has posted that they are now making a "B" Model
of the Superadio III(B) and that it is a "Lesser" Radio. Sad to
Hear.

Would a Superadio IV be a 'shadow' of the Great Legends of the
Superadio I and Superadio II.

Will the Superadio III be Discontinued and be come a "Legend" ?

Here are the 'Features' I would like to see in a 'New' GE Superadio IV
?

1. Digital Display

2. AM Sync Detector

3. Three IF's AM: 6.0 kHZ; 3.8 kHz; 2.3 kHz

4. Two IF's on FM: Wide and FM-DX

5. FM Stereo / Mono Switch
NOTE: #s 4 & 5 could be a Combo Switch:
* Stereo(Wide)
* Mono(Wide)
* DX(Mono)

6. Eliminate the Treble and Base Controls
Replace them with an Audio Sound Equalizer(IC) Switch
* Exspanded Range HiFi-Music
* Normal
* Talk (Only)

7. Dual Tuning:
* Up and Down 'Step' Buttons
* Manual Tuner Knob

NOTE: Use Digital 'Step' Buttoms vice Side Switches and Rotating
Pots.

Question: Should Sangean: Design and Build the 'New' GE Superadio IV
for Thomson CE ?
.
Question: Should Sangean Buy the GE Superadio Brand Name ?
? Is there a CCSupeRadio in our futures ?

~ RHF

marvin rosen

Sep 20, 2002, 7:28:26 PM9/20/02
My preference in a new GE Super Radio are:
1. External Rotatable Ferrite Antenna
2. Digital Readout
3. Analog S Meter
By the way i have a Super Radio model #7-2880B.
Made in Hong Kong

"RHF" <rhf-...@usa.com> wrote in message

---

Eric Ferguson

Sep 20, 2002, 11:15:52 PM9/20/02
One thing I would also add to all the other excellent ideas, AM
Stereo.....Sony was actualy experimenting with this and came up wit AM
Synch....

Jim Leder

Sep 21, 2002, 8:29:58 AM9/21/02
The car radio in my old VW golf actually had AM stereo, but there just
were not very many AM stations broadcasting in stereo on the AM band.
Think the greater Cincy area had 2 at the time.

Jim Leder
Origin of the archery 'clicker' at
http://home.cinci.rr.com/jleder/
EMAIL: jle...@cinci.rr.com

RHF

Sep 21, 2002, 3:35:36 PM9/21/02
Somewhere I read that the AM "SYNC" on the Grundig Sat 800 Mil uses
the Sony AM Stereo Decoder IC. (Now is that True?)

If it is True, then why couldn't the same IC be used for FM Stereo and
AM SYNC in a new GE Superadio IV? It would be a matter of switching
the IC when Bands were changed from AM to FM.

For that matter, Since the CC*Radio offers FM Stereo via headphones.
Why doesn't the CC*Radio offer AM Sync using the same IC?

AM Stereo: The Issue of AM Stereo is a Chicken and Egg Situation.
* The Broadcasters say there are no AM Stereo Radios.
* The Radio Manufactures say there are no AM Stereo Broadcasters.
I am told that my 95 Jeep GCL has AM Stereo but only two stations in
the SF Bay Area broadcast the Stereo Signal. (Now is that True?)

All the Expanded Band AM Broadcasters 1600-1700 kHz) were supposed to
be AM Stereo as a matter of Licensing. But the FCC is Weak and
Ineffective when it comes to Big Money; and can really only crack down
on Hams and CBers.

~ RHF

DXing since 1957

Sep 21, 2002, 4:10:01 PM9/21/02
<< Subject: Re: Is there a GE Superadio IV in Our Futures . . .
From: rhf-...@usa.com (RHF)
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: 21 Sep 2002 12:35:36 -0700

Somewhere I read that the AM "SYNC" on the Grundig Sat 800 Mil uses
the Sony AM Stereo Decoder IC. (Now is that True?)

<<SNIPPED>>

Wrong, it is the synchronous detector that is used in the SW8 (late version)
and Drake R8B. The Sony unit is inferior.

Les
Gulfport, Ms.
Drake R8B
Lowe HF-225
R-390A/URR
Hallicrafters SX-100
Quantum QX Pro Loop
Alpha Delta Sloper
Alpha Delta DXEE
131 ft. Inverted L
85 ft. Random Wire

CW

Sep 21, 2002, 4:14:49 PM9/21/02
The Superradio was designed as a program listeners radio As such, it does
well. It has a speaker system that makes it ultimately more listenable than
most of the squeakier portables out there. It was designed to be able to
take a somewhat marginal signal and make it listenaable. Although it's long
range reception capabilities are good for what it is, a serious DX radio it
is not. It was also designed to do what it does at a reasonable price
point. Following the suggestions on here, the price would climb past what
the majority of the market would pay for it (how many CCradios are sold
compared to the Supperadio) and you still wouldn't have a great DX radio.
This is somewhat like trying to make an Indy car out of a go-kart. After all
the effort, you will find out that it was more useful as a go-kart.
--

CW
KC7NOD

Pete KE9OA

Sep 21, 2002, 10:59:35 PM9/21/02
Two different types of chips are used for AM stereo and FM stereo. That
Motorola chip seems to be used for AM stereo (I don't recall the number),
while for FM stereo, the TDA1591, LM4500, and a real hot one from Sanyo are
being used. The Sanyo unit is used in the Audiolab 8000T tuner.

Pete

CW <clinton...@attbi.com> wrote in message

Gray Shockley

Sep 21, 2002, 11:08:20 PM9/21/02
On Sat, 21 Sep 2002 21:59:35 -0500, Pete KE9OA wrote
(in message <rmaj9.38943$1C2.1...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>):

> Two different types of chips are used for AM stereo and FM stereo. That
> Motorola chip seems to be used for AM stereo (I don't recall the number),

<http://users.hfx.eastlink.ca/~amstereo/amstereo.htm>

About halfway down the page is most of the chips which were used.

(Interesting info, also.)

Gray Shockley
-----------------------
DX-392 w/internal whip
70' Long Wire
& 16" Torus Tuner
DX-398 w/Internal Whip
& Select-A-Tenna
RX-320 w/Longwire
-----------------------
Vicksburg, MS US

RHF

Sep 22, 2002, 2:04:37 AM9/22/02
CW,

Everything that You Sai is Quite Valid.
But, Having Say All That...

One can still look at a Few Clouds in the Sky and See...
"Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" :o)

Let Us Be Allow to Set Back for a Few Minutes Each Day and Dream of What Mite Be...

~ RHF