So You Get The Bright Idea . . . To Use A Car Radio In-the-Home !

RHF

Jan 1, 2007, 6:24:53 AM1/1/07
For One and All,

So You Get The Bright Idea . . . To Use A Car Radio In-the-Home !

If you are going to use a Car AM/FM Radio as a :
Home, Garage, or Basement Radio you need
1 - The Car's AM / FM Radio
2 - 12 Volt DC Power = Battery/Charger -or- Power Supply
3 - Two or more Speakers
4 - A good "Combo" AM / FM Antenna and Ground System

Numbers One-thru-Three usually work themselves out.
- - - Work with what you have and build from there.

For Number Four - Here is what I have found to work
as a good "Combo" AM / FM Antenna and Ground System :

* 75 Ohm RG6 Coax Cable from the Radio to the Antenna.

* A 104 Inch Stainless Steel "CB" [10m] Whip Antenna
with Mounting Hardware for the Antenna Element.

* A single piece of 21 Foot long Top Rail as the
Free Standing Antenna Mast with 3-5 Feet in the
ground. Locate the Mast about 15-25 Feet 'away'
from any structures and utilities. Plus use a 4-8
Foot Ground Rod at the base of the Mast and Ground
the Mast with it.

NOTE - That the whole Mast is Grounded and the
Whip Antenna sits on-top of the Mast = The Mast
is the 'other-half' of the Antenna -and- places
the Antenna about 16-24 Feet in the Air.

This Free Standing AM / FM Whip Antenna : Works as
good as any Radio-in-a-Car at the same location.
This Antenna and Ground Set-Up
* Works well for both AM and FM reception
* Omni-Directional for all around AM and FM reception
* Produces Strong Signals and is relatively Noise Free.
* The Antenna/Ground set-up is relatively Maintenance Free

READ - Got that Car/Truck AM/FM Radio in the Home :
Now You Need an AM/MW Antenna or Two !

READ - Small Vertical {Omni} Active Shortwave Receiving Antenna
and Free-Standing Grounded Metal Mast {Top-Rail} Mounting
http://www.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/81be298d354f68f8

READ - About "Omni" {Non} Directional Vertical Active Antennas
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/6549

IMHO - Everyone should have at least one Car Radio
in their Garage besides the one in their Car. ~ RHF
.
This is "RHF" and I-B Somewhere on "The Big Blue Marble"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blue_Marble
{ Earth - The Third Planet from the Sun }
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_planet_from_the_Sun
.
Shortwave Listener Antennas => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
SWL Antenna Group => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
.
The Shortwave Listener's Blessing :
SWL BLESSING => http://tinyurl.com/s2bjm
May You Never Tire of Listening to the Radio and Always
have Strong Signals and Noise Free Reception ~ RHF {ibid}
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/9233
.
Tous Sont Bienvenus ! - - - Groupe par Radio
d'auditeur d'onde courte pour des Antennes de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Alle Sind Willkommen ! - - - Shortwave Radiozuhörer
Gruppe für SWL Antennen
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Tutti Sono Benvenuti ! - - - Gruppo Radiofonico
dell'ascoltatore di onda corta per le Antenne di SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Todos São Bem-vindos ! - - - Grupo de Rádio
do ouvinte do Shortwave para Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Все Радушны ! - - - Группа оператора
на приеме коротковолнового диапазона
Radio для Aнтенн SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
¡Todos Son Agradables! - - - Grupo de Radio del oyente
de la onda corta para las Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
= = = = Plain Old American-English Translation = = = =
All are Welcome - - - To Join the Shortwave Listeners
(SWL) Antenna Group on YAHOO !
.

/ \
.......!.......

ve3...

Jan 1, 2007, 9:44:14 AM1/1/07

RHF wrote:
> For One and All,
>
> So You Get The Bright Idea . . . To Use A Car Radio In-the-Home !
>
> If you are going to use a Car AM/FM Radio as a :
> Home, Garage, or Basement Radio you need
> 1 - The Car's AM / FM Radio
> 2 - 12 Volt DC Power = Battery/Charger -or- Power Supply
> 3 - Two or more Speakers
> 4 - A good "Combo" AM / FM Antenna and Ground System

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
I have used car radios in the house and garage off and on for years and
they are very good. The biggest problem is the power supply. A
lead-acid car battery and charger combo will create so much hash from
the rectifiers that it drowns out much of the signal. A proper power
supply of 5 amps minimum is required and even it may create buzz. If
you use the battery with the charger unplugged it is quite satisfactory
at least until the voltage drops.
A vented lead-acid car battery should not be used near electronic
equipment. The h2So4 molecules emitted when charging eat hell out of
nearby circuit boards. I think a sealed battery would be ok but I have
not tested this. An old car battery can be used in the garage to test
the system but I would not use it in the house.
A two or three foot length of wire bare at one end which is pushed
into the (Motorola) antenna input will do surprisingly well. Most car
radios are very sensitive. I have used motorcycle batteries on a 1-amp
charger and they do not seem to create the racket of the 6 to 10 amp
chargers and they are quite cheapand compact.

David

Jan 1, 2007, 9:52:34 AM1/1/07
On 1 Jan 2007 03:24:53 -0800, "RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>For One and All,
>
>So You Get The Bright Idea . . . To Use A Car Radio In-the-Home !
>
>If you are going to use a Car AM/FM Radio as a :
>Home, Garage, or Basement Radio you need
>1 - The Car's AM / FM Radio
>2 - 12 Volt DC Power = Battery/Charger -or- Power Supply
>3 - Two or more Speakers
>4 - A good "Combo" AM / FM Antenna and Ground System
>
>Numbers One-thru-Three usually work themselves out.
>- - - Work with what you have and build from there.
>
>For Number Four - Here is what I have found to work
>as a good "Combo" AM / FM Antenna and Ground System :
>
>* 75 Ohm RG6 Coax Cable from the Radio to the Antenna.

Car radios have Hi Z active MW antennas and the 75 Ohm coax will not
work very well. Youd be better off just using a decent communications
receiver (R75 or better) with either an MFJ-1024 or a Stoner Mackay
Dymek DA-100(X)

cuh...@webtv.net

Jan 1, 2007, 9:59:38 AM1/1/07
Omni hasha yika.I don't remember the brand name of the car type
batteries,I think it's Omni,or something like that.I am pretty sure the
brand name starts with O,perhaps one of those batteries would be a good
choice for an in the house car type radio.Some car type radios are
better than other car type radios.Check out the car junk yards in your
area for availabilty and prices.Best to charge car type batteries
outdoors when they need recharging.
cuhulin

cuh...@webtv.net

Jan 1, 2007, 10:38:07 AM1/1/07
Optima is the brand name of the batteries.
cuhulin

del.icio.us

Jan 1, 2007, 12:26:57 PM1/1/07
...the one and only
http://www.shortwavestore.com/sws/product.php?productid=595&cat=0&page=1

"RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net> wrote in message
For One and All,

??? ??????? ! - - - ?????? ?????????
?? ?????? ???????????????? ?????????
Radio ??? A????? SWL

RHF

Jan 1, 2007, 2:18:49 PM1/1/07

-
- Youd be better off just using a decent communications
- receiver (R75 or better) with either an MFJ-1024 or a
- Stoner Mackay Dymek DA-100(X)

David - The next time I pull an Icom IC-R75 Receiver
out of a Car - I will do just that. ;-)

This is a line from my original posting :

"- - - Work with what you have and build from there."

One Man's Junk makes Another Man's 'possible' "Partical" ~ RHF
{ Work With What You Got }
.
.
. .

RHF

Jan 1, 2007, 2:29:04 PM1/1/07

= = = On Jan 1, 9:26 am, "del.icio.us" <snuff...@leftwingers.org>
wrote:
- ...the one and only
-
http://www.shortwavestore.com/sws/product.php?productid=595&cat=0&page=1
-

DEL - While the Sony XRF5100 Car Stereo with Shortwave Coverage
and Cassette Player is a nice unit it cost over $200

A used Car Radio often can be had-for-free or for under $25.

The idea of using a Car AM & FM Radio In-the-Home
is for AM [DX] and FM Radio Listening - We all have
better Shortwave Receivers to Listen to Shortwave on.

The 'thought-begins-with' : OK I Have This Old Car Radio . . .
-and- ends up with : Hey - I could . . .

enjoy your radios in-or-out of the car ~ RHF
.
.
. .

> "RHF" <rhf-newsgro...@pacbell.net> wrote in messagenews:1167650693.1...@k21g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> For One and All,

> READ - Small Vertical {Omni} Active Shortwave Receiving Antenna

> and Free-Standing Grounded Metal Mast {Top-Rail} Mountinghttp://www.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/81be298d354f68f8

> IMHO - Everyone should have at least one Car Radio
> in their Garage besides the one in their Car. ~ RHF
> .
> This is "RHF" and I-B Somewhere on "The Big Blue Marble"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blue_Marble
> { Earth - The Third Planet from the Sun }http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_planet_from_the_Sun
> .

> SWL Antenna Group =>http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
> .
> The Shortwave Listener's Blessing :
> SWL BLESSING =>http://tinyurl.com/s2bjm
> May You Never Tire of Listening to the Radio and Always
> have Strong Signals and Noise Free Reception ~ RHF {ibid}http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/9233
> .
> Tous Sont Bienvenus ! - - - Groupe par Radio

> .
> Alle Sind Willkommen ! - - - Shortwave Radiozuhörer

> .
> Tutti Sono Benvenuti ! - - - Gruppo Radiofonico

> .
> Todos São Bem-vindos ! - - - Grupo de Rádio

> .
> ??? ??????? ! - - - ?????? ?????????
> ?? ?????? ???????????????? ?????????

> .
> ¡Todos Son Agradables! - - - Grupo de Radio del oyente

RHF

Jan 1, 2007, 2:48:11 PM1/1/07
VE3,

A 7+ Amp Hour Rated "Seal" 12 Volt Battery (Gel-Cell)
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ26006439826

Using a 12 Volt "Trickle Charger"
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ260053633101
http://www.amazon.com/1-5-Amp-Automatic-Trickle-Charger/dp/B00063V5K0
usually works very well with modern
Solid State AM & FM Car Radios

Charge the Battery when the Radio is Not-in-Use. Plus disconnect
the Battery from the Charger when the Radio is In-Use -and- Un-Plug
the Charger too.

Put the Battery and the Charger in a Vented Wooden or Metal Box.
Use a DPDT Switch to 'switch' the Battery from "Charging" to
"Powering-the-Radio" and either Un-Plug the Charger from the Wall
-or- use a second AC On-Off Switch to turn-off the Charger when
the Radio is In-Use.

IDTARS = It Don't Take A Rocket Scientist - iane ~ RHF
.
.
. .

N9NEO

Jan 2, 2007, 10:13:20 AM1/2/07
Good thread. Sorry for top post but that is my way sometimes.

I run most of my shack off of car batteries. I pull batteries out of
the cars after a few years of service and have a large collection of
used ones. (I don't want my daughters getting stranded anywhere) I
just use a trickle charger to keep topped off. I don't worry about
hydrogen gas.

regards,
NEO