excellent antenna kit on ebay for $22

the captain

Nov 2, 2004, 12:30:37 PM11/2/04
the seller rfjunkie (who is not me and I have never meet him) has a
nice antenna kit that is about the same as the one universal sells for
$50+ and his is only $22 !!!!

I am happy with the value and performance of his products, I use one
of his interfaces

I highly recommend his stuff

RHF

Nov 3, 2004, 1:10:00 PM11/3/04
= = = theca...@post.com (the captain) wrote in message
= = = news:<3d44ff40.04110...@posting.google.com>...

TC,

I would agree.

I have one of RF Junkie's "SWL-1" 10:1 Shortwave Longwire Antenna Feeders;
a so called Magnetic Longwire Balun (MLB) and it works very well.

Actually RF junkie's "High-Z Shortwave Longwire Antenna" is not a Kit.
It is a 'ready-made' SWL Antenna and MLB that only needs Rigging and
a Coax Cable Feed-in-Line to be Listening with your favorite Radio.
eBay Item # 5729107844
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5729107844
- Covers the AM/MW and Shortwave Bands: 500 kHz to 30 MHz
- Eighty Foot long 14 AWG Insulated Wire Antenna Element
- Matching Transformer 10:1 Voltage Balun
- SO-239 Connector

iane ~ RHF
.
.

Bill

Nov 4, 2004, 1:03:02 AM11/4/04
rhf-new...@pacbell.net (RHF) wrote in message news:<ff3145e8.0411...@posting.google.com>...

I'd give it a try, since the EF-SWL is on back-order at Universal, but
the EF-SWL is only 45 feet long (taking up every available amount of
space I can possibly use for an antenna), where this antenna is 80
feet long. The Par Electronics antenna has gotten some great reviews,
even being only 45 feet long.

Mark S. Holden

Nov 4, 2004, 3:22:37 PM11/4/04
Bill wrote:
> <snip>

> I'd give it a try, since the EF-SWL is on back-order at Universal, but
> the EF-SWL is only 45 feet long (taking up every available amount of
> space I can possibly use for an antenna), where this antenna is 80
> feet long. The Par Electronics antenna has gotten some great reviews,
> even being only 45 feet long.

Something else you might consider is building your own.

It's relatively easy, and you can make it to fit the best space you have available for it. It's certainly easier than moving your tall sturdy trees to match the length of a commercial antenna. ;)

Cost wise, if you don't have any of the materials in stock, it'll probably cost about what you'd pay for the Par electronics one - but you'll have wire left over for your next antenna.

Otherwise, I'm not familiar with the antennas being sold on ebay for $22, but the parts Dale mentioned using for his PAR antennas are high quality, and in the long run, I've always found quality is a bargain.

Bill

Nov 5, 2004, 10:30:22 AM11/5/04
"Mark S. Holden" <ma...@bmas.org> wrote in message news:<418A8F8D...@bmas.org>...

I've heard many good reports about Dale's antennas, and I have just
enough room for it, so that's what I'll be going with for now. You do
bring up a good point about making other antennas, though. I think
that I'll try experementing with a few different designs and see what
differences it'll make. I bought Joe Carr's "Receiving Antenna" book
a while back but never tried anything more than a random wire because
of my laziness.

RHF

Nov 5, 2004, 6:07:37 PM11/5/04
= = = willis...@earthlink.net (Bill) wrote in message
= = = news:<d71f44e7.04110...@posting.google.com>...

BILL,

The Par EF-SWL Antenna uses 45 Foot "Flex Weave" Antenna Wire as
the Antenna Wire Element (Radiator). This "Flex Weave" Wire is
made-up of 168 Strands of #36 AWG Copper Wire that has a Black
Poly Cover for the 'protective' Insulated.
PAR-EF-SWL=> http://www.parelectronics.com/swl_end.htm
NOTE: The Wire Antenna Element can be 'replaced' at the Matching
Transformer of the Par EF-SWL Antenna.

ABOUT: "Flex Weave" Antenna Wire
http://www.davisrf.com/ham1/flexweve.htm
Flex Weave #14 Polyethylene Black Jacketed 168 Copper Strands
'costs' about 19 Cents per Foot: So 45 Feet would be $8.55
worth of Flex Weave Antenna Wire in the Par EF-SWL Antenna.

The "RF Junkie" High-Z Shortwave Longwire Antenna uses a 80 Foot
Wire Antenna Element that is made-up of Insulated 14 AWG Wire.
Nothing else is stated about the Wire Antenna Element on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5729107844
NOTE: The Wire Antenna Element is appears to be 'built into' this
Antenna's Matching Transformer.

Telamon

Nov 5, 2004, 9:25:17 PM11/5/04
In article <d71f44e7.04110...@posting.google.com>,
willis...@earthlink.net (Bill) wrote:

That's a good book with many practical ideas.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

RHF

Nov 6, 2004, 9:01:35 PM11/6/04
= = = rhf-new...@pacbell.net (RHF) wrote in message
= = = news:<ff3145e8.04110...@posting.google.com>...

UP-DATE
Received the "High-Z Shortwave Longwire Antenna"
from RF Junkie today in the US Mail.

The Wire Antenna Element appears to be standard "MTW" or "THHN"
type 19 Strand Copper #14 Wire with Black Insulated with a
Clear Outer Cover.

iane ~ RHF