Antenna's for Dummies?

E.F.

Nov 13, 2005, 6:35:07 PM11/13/05
Is there a web site out there that bring's it down to the basics?? I want
to build an antenna for my portable YB400 but do not understand what a balun
or turner is or what it does. I also need to find out if my small back yard
is large enough for an antenna. What is overload and how do I prevent it...

...stuff like that

Thanks

EF

Rob

Nov 13, 2005, 6:42:05 PM11/13/05
If your running a cheap rig like the YB-400 a 10 to 20 foot single wire out
of the antenna jack will be more than satisfactory. It's not much of a rig
as far as DXing goes

It's sort of like showing up at the Grand Nationals Drag Race in a stock
YUGO!

You dont need a balun or a tuner....A tuner can be replaced with longer or
shorter wires.

"E.F." <fad...@cox.net> wrote in message

Caveat Lector

Nov 13, 2005, 7:02:41 PM11/13/05
Try these -- dozens of antenna links
http://ac6v.com/swl.htm#ANT

Also lots more
http://ac6v.com/antprojects.htm#theory
--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

David

Nov 13, 2005, 7:47:00 PM11/13/05

E.F.

Nov 13, 2005, 8:44:44 PM11/13/05
Thanks Dave and Caveat for the link. Exactly what I was looking for.

Rob, my bad. As a beginner I should have went out and bought a $2100
Kenwood TS-2000.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/1978.html

or how about the NRD-535D for $1800
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/commrxvr/1545.html

What was I thinking?

"Rob" <Robw...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Harveya...@aol.com

Nov 13, 2005, 9:53:48 PM11/13/05

EF..
Check this out..

http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx/antenna/wire/beverage/index.html

- else 10 - 30 feet of wire hooked up to the antenna should make a BIG
difference

RHF

Nov 14, 2005, 9:37:34 AM11/14/05
EF,

So you have a Grundig Yacht Boy 400 PE or the re-badged
Grundig G4000A 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio.

REFERENCE - A Good Starting Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna
for the Grundig Yacht Boy _ _ _ _ _ _ Radio
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grundig-Yacht-Boy-Radios/message/910

READ - The Grundig Yacht Boy 400 PE is now called the
Grundig G4000A AM/FM Shortwave Radio - by Eton Corp.
GoTo => http://tinyurl.com/bta43
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/047c5d30d37e8992

Then try a Portable Wire Antenna (PWA) !

With the 'portable' Radios like the Grundig Yacht Boy 400 PE Radio
try the "Portable Wire Antenna" (PWA) that was created and written
about - by Tom Sevart [N2UHC].
PWA => http://www.geocities.com/n2uhc/portablewire.html

READ - Compilation of "Portable Wire Antenna" (PWA) Messages
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/5871

ALSO - 100 Foot Wire Antenna Hook-Up ?
{ with a 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio }
Start with about 1/3rd the Wire about 35 Feet will do
very well and Think "Portable Wire Antenna" (PWA)

READ - Using the "Portable Wire Antenna" (PWA)
with your 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio
GoTo => http://tinyurl.com/bpafs
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/a789c8fd6fcb38f2

READ - Usually a 'shorter' 30-35 Foot long Random Wire Antenna
works better with most 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radios
GoTo => http://tinyurl.com/c7rxb
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/cff50876212c6786

READ - Two Things that most 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radios
Could Use for "Improved" Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL)
GoTo => http://tinyurl.com/auymq
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/423b6d9bcdb872a8

READ - Shortwave Antenna OverLoad - Urban Legend
or a sad reality for some . . . What Do I Do ?
GoTo => http://tinyurl.com/c52oe
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/46557719579ed910

Since you have a Grundig Yacht Boy 400 PE Radio; you may wish
to consider Joining the Grundig Yacht Boy Radio Group on YAHOO !

ALL ARE WELCOME TO JOIN !
The YAHOO! Group "Grundig Yacht Boy Radios" that is Focused
on Grundig's "Yacht Boy" (YB) Radios and is a Forum for Grundig
Yacht Boy Radio Owners and potential owners to post Questions
and Get Answers related to Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Radios.

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF
.
.
Tous Sont Bienvenus ! - - - Groupe par Radio
d'auditeur d'onde courte pour des Antennes de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Alle Sind Willkommen ! - - - Shortwave Radiozuhörer
Gruppe für SWL Antennen
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Tutti Sono Benvenuti ! - - - Gruppo Radiofonico
dell'ascoltatore di onda corta per le Antenne di SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Todos São Bem-vindos ! - - - Grupo de Rádio
do ouvinte do Shortwave para Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Все Радушны ! - - - Группа оператора
на приеме коротковолнового диапазона
Radio для Aнтенн SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
¡Todos Son Agradables! - - - Grupo de Radio del oyente
de la onda corta para las Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
= = = = = Translation = = = = =
All are Welcome - - - To Join the Shortwave Listeners
(SWL) Antenna Group on YAHOO !
.
.
. .
.

Bob Miller

Nov 14, 2005, 10:49:21 AM11/14/05
On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 18:35:07 -0500, "E.F." <fad...@cox.net> wrote:

An odd length of wire attached to your antenna terminal should do
fine. You might try different lengths: 20 feet, 30 feet, whatever. If
you're close to Radio Shack, they have this little kit for 5 bucks:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104088&cp=&kw=outdoor+antenna+kit&parentPage=search

If the signals are too strong, you can shorten the wire.

Try to say away from power lines.

There's nothing exact here -- experiment and have fun.

Here are some basic antenna sites, altho' they are more ham oriented,
if you ever want to go in that direction.

http://www.cebik.com/a10/anta.html

http://www.cebik.com/gup/groundup.html

Bob
k5qwg

Rob

Nov 14, 2005, 7:51:45 PM11/14/05
I got a 6 month old Ten Tec RX-340 and a pair of R-8's with an old beat up
FT-1000D Yaesu for listening to shortwave...

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/commrxvr/0340.html

But your right!!!... you should have bought one of those!

My yb-400 isn't much of a radio either

"E.F." <fad...@cox.net> wrote in message

E.F.

Nov 14, 2005, 9:03:11 PM11/14/05