Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna for Radio Station WWV and Coordinated Universal Time {UTC}

RHF

Mar 24, 2007, 10:58:41 PM3/24/07
For One and All,

Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna for Radio Station WWV
and Coordinated Universal Time {UTC}
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/12679

The simplest and easiest Shortwave Antenna for WWV / WWVH
is a Dipole Antenna that 'cut' for 10 MHz and positioned
to receive WWV from Fort Collins, CO.
WWV => http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/stations/wwv.html
=OR= The 'sister' Time Signal Radio Station WWVH in Hawaii
NIST Radio Station WWVH located on the Island of Kauai, Hawaii,
WWVH => http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/stations/wwvh.htm

A WWV Time Signal "Half-Wave" 10 MHz Dipole Antenna
http://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/dipole.html
would be 46.8 Feet Tip-to-Tip {46' 10"} and have Two 'equal'
Arms of 23.4 Feet {23' 5"} Mounted about at least 24 Feet
above ground level. Use at least a 50 Foot long piece of
Coax Cable -or- Balance-Line for the feed-in-line from the
Antenna to the Radio/Receiver.

FWIW - Some "Time Signal Freaks" simply use a simple
Dipole Antenna made from 100 Feet of 300 Ohm TV type
Twin Lead with 47 Feet for the Twin Wire Antenna Element
and the other 53 Feet for the Balanced feed-in-line.
The Twin Wire Antenna Element is 'wired' as a "Folded"
Dipole Antenna and the feed-in-line is 'wired' as a
Balanced Pair.
* Here are some "Folded Dipole Antenna" WebPages :
http://www.qsl.net/w4sat/fdipole.htm
http://www.arcticpeak.com/antennapages/folded_dipole.htm
http://www.wfu.edu/~matthews/misc/dipole.html
http://www.cebik.com/wire/fdpl.html
* Basically since this Folded Dipole Antenna is made
of 300 Ohm Twin Lead with a very smal 1/4 Inch "Spacing"
between the Two {Twin} Wires; and for its Length of 47
Feet; and 10 Mhz Frequency; and the small Size of the
Wire 'cutting' it to the Length of a standard Dipole
Antenna is OK
RadioShack 300-Ohm [Flat] Twin-Lead @ 100 Feet
RadioShack Catalog # 15-1175
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049618&cp

TIP - This is also a good 'back-up' Antenna for general
Shortwave Listening (SWL) and for those who have Two (2)
Antenna Connections on the back of their Shortwave Radio
Receiver : one SO-239 Jack [ 50 Ohm LO-Z] and a Set of
Twin Terminals [ 500 Ohm HI-Z].
This Twin Lead Folded Dipole Antenna 'cut' for 10 MHz
with a Balanced Twin Lead feed-in-line makes a good
always ready -and- a good "Reference" Antenna to compare
your latest new Antenna or Antenna Modification to your
main [primary] Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna.

TBL : Twin Lead Folded Dipole Antenna
= = = Basic Design + Simple Construction + It Works !

NOW "ABOUT" WWV in Fort Collins, Colorado, USofA
WWV => http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/stations/wwv.html
-aka- NIST Radio Station WWV
Located about about 100 kilometers north of Denver, CO.
WWV => http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/stations/wwv.html
* The WWV Radio Station Radiates 10,000 Watts {10 kW}
on 5, 10, and 15 MHz; and 2500 Watts on 2.5 and 20 MHz
in the Shortwave {High Frequency} Band.
WWV => http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/stations/wwv.html
* Each WWV Radio Station Frequency is Broadcast from
a Separate Transmitter and Antenna. Although each Frequency
carries the same Information, multiple frequencies are used
because the quality of Shortwave Radio (HF) reception
depends on many factors such as location, time of year,
time of day, the frequency being used, and atmospheric
and ionospheric propagation conditions. The variety of
Frequencies makes it likely that at least one Frequency
will be usable at all times.
WWV => http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/stations/wwv.html
WWV and WWVH Radio Signal Modulation
The Radio Signals Broadcast by WWV and WWVH use
Double Sideband Amplitude Modu­lation {Both the Upper
and Lower SideBands "DSB"}.
WWV => http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/stations/wwv.html
The WWV and WWVH Signal Modulation Level is 50 Percent
for the Steady Tones, 50 Percent for the BCD Time Code,
100 Percent for the Second {Sound} Pulses and the Minute
and Hour {Sound} Markers, and 75 Percent for the Voice
{Time} Announcements.
WWV => http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/stations/wwv.html

WWV - Internet Time Check -Just- Click-and-See
WWV ITS => http://nist.time.gov/
http://nist.time.gov/images/map2.gif
- - - Set Your Computer Clock Via the Internet
NIST Internet Time Service (ITS)
http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/service/its.htm

WWV {NIST} - Telephone Time-of-Day Service
WWV PHONE => http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/stations/sig.html
Hello Can I Get A Time Check ! ? ! ? ! ?

WHAT ABOUT -the- WWVB "ATOMIC CLOCK" TIME ? ? ? ? ?
WWVB => http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/stations/wwvb.htm
About the NIST Radio Station WWVB Broadcasting on 60kHz
with and Effective Radiated Power of 50 kW from Fort Collins, CO.
WWVB => http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/stations/wwvb.htm
Please Note - That the 60 kHz Wave-Length is abot 5000 Meters.
Read About the WWVB Antennas -and- Dream On ! :o)

FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about WWV and WWVH
WWV FAQ => http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/general/broadcast.htm

NOTE - The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
NIST => http://www.nist.gov/
Thes NIST is and Agency of the US Department of Commerce (DoC)
DoC => http://www.commerce.gov/index.htm
and is responsible for this US National Time Standard.

FWIW - A lot of local RFI & EMF type stuff {Electronic Noise}
is being generated in every home, house, apartment and building
that did exist 30 Years Ago due to the increase in the number
of Electronic Gagets used in our everyday life. So the Level
of Man-Made {Background} Noise is much higher now then way
back then.

Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna for Radio Station WWV
and Coordinated Universal Time {UTC}
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/12679

as always - more than you wanted to know - iane ~ RHF {pomkia}
.
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antennas Group => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
The SWL Antenna Discussion Group => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna HELP => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna NEWS => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna INFO => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
* * * All Are Welcome : Including ELMERS and 'Want-to-be-Elmers'
plus plain old "Mister-Know-It-Alls"; and even those Newbees with
"I Know This Is A Really Dumb Question - But _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ "
.
The Shortwave Listener's Blessing :
SWL BLESSING => http://tinyurl.com/s2bjm
May You Never Tire of Listening to the Radio and Always
have Strong Signals and Noise Free Reception ~ RHF {ibid}
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/9233
.
Tous Sont Bienvenus ! - - - Groupe par Radio
d'auditeur d'onde courte pour des Antennes de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Alle Sind Willkommen ! - - - Shortwave Radiozuhörer
Gruppe für SWL Antennen
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Tutti Sono Benvenuti ! - - - Gruppo Radiofonico
dell'ascoltatore di onda corta per le Antenne di SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Todos São Bem-vindos ! - - - Grupo de Rádio
do ouvinte do Shortwave para Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Все Радушны ! - - - Группа оператора
на приеме коротковолнового диапазона
Radio для Aнтенн SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
¡Todos Son Agradables! - - - Grupo de Radio del oyente
de la onda corta para las Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
= = = = Plain Old American-English Translation = = = =
All are Welcome - - - To Join the Shortwave Listeners
(SWL) Antenna Group on YAHOO !
.

/ \
.......!.......

RHF

Mar 25, 2007, 7:17:49 PM3/25/07
On Mar 24, 7:58 pm, "RHF" <rhf-newsgro...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> [...]

> Tutti Sono Benvenuti ! - - - Gruppo Radiofonico
> dell'ascoltatore di onda corta per le Antenne di SWLhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/

>  .
> Todos São Bem-vindos ! - - - Grupo de Rádio
> do ouvinte do Shortwave para Antenas de SWLhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/

>  .
> Все Радушны ! - - - Группа оператора
> на приеме коротковолнового диапазона
> Radio для Aнтенн SWLhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/

>  .
> ¡Todos Son Agradables! - - - Grupo de Radio del oyente
> de la onda corta para las Antenas de SWLhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/

>  .
> = = = = Plain Old American-English Translation = = = =
> All are Welcome - - - To Join the Shortwave Listeners

NBS "UTC" Time is 23:16:00 Sunday March 25 2007
http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?UTC/s/0/java

RHF

Mar 25, 2007, 7:23:39 PM3/25/07
> > *  Here are some "Folded Dipole Antenna" WebPages :http://www.qsl.net/w4sat/fdipole.htmhttp://www.arcticpeak.com/antenna...
> NBS "UTC" Time is 23:16:00 Sunday March 25 2007http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?UTC/s/0/java- Hide quoted text -

Posting - Date: 25 Mar 2007 -and- Time 16:17:49 -0700

Seams to be a Posting Time Delay
of almost Two (2) Minutes. ~ RHF
.
.
. .

RHF

Mar 26, 2007, 2:29:55 PM3/26/07
On Mar 25, 4:17 pm, "RHF" <rhf-newsgro...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> > *  Here are some "Folded Dipole Antenna" WebPages :http://www.qsl.net/w4sat/fdipole.htmhttp://www.arcticpeak.com/antenna...
> NBS "UTC" Time is 23:16:00 Sunday March 25 2007http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?UTC/s/0/java- Hide quoted text -

ABOUT - The WWW.Time.Gov "Time Zone" WebPage
UTC TIME => http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?UTC/s/0/java
Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)
-aka- Greenwich [UK] Mean Time (GMT)
GMT INFO => http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/
Shows both "Your Local Time Zone" -and- Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)

* This Public Service WebPage is Cooperatively provided by
the Two Time Agencies of the United States of America :

1 - Department of Commerce Agency,
the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST),
NIST - Time & Frequency Division => http://tf.nist.gov/

2 - The U. S. Naval Observatory (USNO)
USNO - Time Service Department => http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/

Note - Readings from the Clocks of these Agencies contribute to
World Time, called Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). The Time
maintained by both Agencies should never differ by more than
Ten-Millionth-of-a-Second (0.00 000 01s) from UTC.

ok - so is 'utc' on-topic for a shortwave radio newsgroup ? ? ?
-just-may-be- have your check a shortwave radio station's
time and frequency schedule lately . . . ~ RHF
.
.
. .

RHF

Mar 28, 2007, 3:40:31 AM3/28/07
> > NBS "UTC" Time is 23:16:00 Sunday March 25 2007http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?UTC/s/0/java-Hide quoted text -

> ABOUT - The WWW.Time.Gov "Time Zone" WebPage
> UTC TIME =>http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?UTC/s/0/java
> Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)
> -aka- Greenwich [UK] Mean Time (GMT)
> GMT INFO =>http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/
> Shows both "Your Local Time Zone" -and- Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)
>
> *  This Public Service WebPage is Cooperatively provided by
> the Two Time Agencies of the United States of America :
>
> 1 - Department of Commerce Agency,
> the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST),
> NIST - Time & Frequency Division =>http://tf.nist.gov/
>
> 2 - The U. S. Naval Observatory (USNO)
> USNO - Time Service Department =>http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/
>
> Note - Readings from the Clocks of these Agencies contribute to
> World Time, called Coordinated Universal Time (UTC).  The Time
> maintained by both Agencies should never differ by more than
> Ten-Millionth-of-a-Second (0.00 000 01s) from UTC.
>
> ok - so is 'utc' on-topic for a shortwave radio newsgroup ? ? ?
> -just-may-be- have your check a shortwave radio station's
> time and frequency schedule lately . . . ~ RHF
>  .
>  .

Information About the New Daylight Saving Time (DST)
Rules for 2007 and UTC/GMT
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/12711

DST FAQ => http://tf.nist.gov/general/dst.htm

* What is Daylight Saving Time ?

* What are the New Rules for Daylight Saving Time ?

* I set my Computer Clock to NIST Time.
-So- Will the New DST Rules affect me ?

* I have a Radio Controlled {Atomic} Clock that Receives
NIST Time. -OK- Will the New DST Rules affect me ?

* I have a Non-Radio Controlled Clock that used to
automatically correct itself for DST. Will it still Work ?

REMEMBER - Whatever Your Local Time Is - Be It :
Standard Time -or- Daylight Savings Time (DST)

YOUR STARTING REFERENCE POINT IS UTC / GMT [.]
And Begians here at the WWW.Time.Gov "Time Zone" WebPage

US TIME ZONES => http://nist.time.gov/images/map2.gif

Set Your Computer Clock Via the Internet
NIST Internet Time Service (ITS)

PC TIME => http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/service/its.htm

yes - this is mister tick-tock -and-
i am keeping time - iane ~ RHF {pomkia}