For Shortwave Listening (SWL) here is a "Simpler" Horizontal Loop Antenna in the Attic using common TV type Parts

RHF

Nov 22, 2005, 6:02:32 PM11/22/05
For One and All,

For Shortwave Listening (SWL) here is a "Simpler" Horizontal Loop
Antenna in the Attic using common TV type Parts.

* 300 Ohm Twin Lead (100 Feet) Antenna Element
[ Connected in Series for a Double Loop of 200 Feet. ]

* TV 300 Ohm to 75 Ohm Balun (1) Rated down to 5 MHz

* RG6 TV type Coax Cable (100 Feet) Feed-in-Line

* TV type Screw-In Insualted Stand-Offs (4-10)

READ - In-the-Attic Horizontal {Flat} 'double' Loop Antenna
using 300 Ohm Twin Lead
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/1759

PLUS - ATTIC - Receiving Antenna Question
- Think Loop made from TV Parts
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/1635

KISAP - keep it simple and practical - iane ~ RHF
.
.
All are WELCOME and "Invited to Join" the
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna eGroup on YAHOO !
SWL ANTENNAS GROUP => http://tinyurl.com/an6tw
.
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night . . .
You Can Hear Forever and Beyond, The BEYOND !
.
With a Shortwave Listener SWL Antenna of your own making.
"If You Build It {SWL Antenna} You Will Hear Them !"
SWL ANTENNAS GROUP => http://tinyurl.com/an6tw
.
.
. .
.

SeeingEyeDog

Nov 22, 2005, 7:28:34 PM11/22/05
Again, running a horizontal loop more than once around the attic or roof
perimeter would create lobes which would be unpredictable and likely cancel
each other out at certain frequencies.

A single large horizontal loop will perform equal to any dipole at the same
height.
The advantage is you only need one horiz. loop to equal the bandwidth of
multi-multi-dipoles for all the HF bands.
Random multiple turns of the horiz. loop would create unpredictable results
and likely perform worse on certain bands compared to a dipole.

"RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

SeeingEyeDog

Nov 22, 2005, 7:44:38 PM11/22/05
http://www.cebik.com/wire/hl.html

Horizontally Oriented, Horizontally Polarized Large Wire Loop Antennas
(03-29-1999)
http://www.cebik.com/fdim/atl1.html

http://www.cebik.com/wire/horloop.html

RHF

Nov 23, 2005, 7:14:54 AM11/23/05
SED,

1. These are "Receive Only" Horizontal Loop Antennas
for Shortwave Listeners.

2. These are Horizontal Loop Antennas that are by the
"Restrictions" of Shortwave Listeners must be located
in the Attic Area under the Roof and in the House.

3. They are made with TV type Parts that are easy to find and
their ease of assembly for all - especially the non-technical.

Antenna Building (Life) is Full of Compromises [.]

KISAP - keep it simple and practical - iane ~ RHF
.
.

. .
.

cuh...@webtv.net

Nov 23, 2005, 2:58:21 PM11/23/05
I did a google a few minutes ago.Go look at it.
cuhulin

SeeingEyeDog

Nov 23, 2005, 7:33:51 PM11/23/05

> SED,
>
> 1. These are "Receive Only" Horizontal Loop Antennas
> for Shortwave Listeners.

Doesn't matter. The charecteristis of the lobes are the same for transmit
as well as for receive.

> 2. These are Horizontal Loop Antennas that are by the
> "Restrictions" of Shortwave Listeners must be located
> in the Attic Area under the Roof and in the House.

I know, I use one myself for TX & RCV.

> 3. They are made with TV type Parts that are easy to find and
> their ease of assembly for all - especially the non-technical.

My loop is even simpler than the one you describe.

> Antenna Building (Life) is Full of Compromises [.]

But this design is based on voodoo.

> KISAP - keep it simple and practical - iane ~ RHF

take a single piece of wire and run it in a single loop horizontally on the
perimeter of your roof - forget the attic and all that fiberglass
insulation. Join the ends to either coax (use a balun if you wish) or use
ladder line and run it a cheap antenna tuner (MFJ).

What can be more simpler than that?