CW from the VOA server page

Joel Rubin

Mar 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/3/99
The following pages have the info you need to listen to or download
the 30 minutes Communications World from the VOA server in Real Audio.

http://www.netcom.com/~jmrubin/voa.html
http://www.cyberspace.org/~jmrubin/voa.html

Here is a summary of this info:

1) To listen to the VOA at a speed determined by your modem/Real Audio
preferences, enter the following location in your Real Audio player:

pnm://www.voa.gov/communications_world_0200.ra

2) To listen to the 14.4 stream (usually available after 0250 GMT
Saturday):

pnm://www.voa.gov/communications_world_0200.ra/14_4.18

3) To listen to the 28.8 stream (usually available after 0225 GMT
Saturday)

pnm://www.voa.gov/communications_world_0200.ra/dnet.20

4) To download the 14.4 file:

gopher://gopher.voa.gov/gg/audio/realaudio/communications_world_0200.ra/14_4.18

5) To download the 28.8 file:

gopher://gopher.voa.gov/gg/audio/realaudio/communications_world_0200.ra/dnet.20

Note a) that the files do NOT end in ".ra" so it might be a good idea
to save them with an ".ra" extension.

b) In theory, these files should be available by ftp but the VOA ftp
server has been broken for at a year. (and I think it's more like 2 or
3)

c) The gopher directories on the VOA gopher server are such that you
will do an ASCII download instead of a BINARY download (/11/ instead
of /gg/) and this will NOT work.

Gopher is a predecessor to WWW/http. It is understood by all
reasonable web browsers. The University of Minnesota (hence the
name--Minnesota is the "Gopher State" and the UM sports teams are the
"Golden Gophers") tried to get a license fee for the use of gopher and
the web was free of such fees and soon became superior so gopher has
all but disappeared.

Daniel Say

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
Joel Rubin (jmr...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: The following pages have the info you need to listen to or download

: the 30 minutes Communications World from the VOA server in Real Audio.

: http://www.netcom.com/~jmrubin/voa.html
: http://www.cyberspace.org/~jmrubin/voa.html

: Here is a summary of this info:

: 1) To listen to the VOA at a speed determined by your modem/Real Audio
: preferences, enter the following location in your Real Audio player:

: pnm://www.voa.gov/communications_world_0200.ra

: 2) To listen to the 14.4 stream (usually available after 0250 GMT
: Saturday):

---------- but why bother when Elliot says very little and
you can get the script in seconds and read in a few
minutes. The audio portions aren't missed with
Kim Elliot saying so much in proportion to the
clips.

#Linkname: VOA Communications World
lynx http://www.trsc.com/cw/#Scripts

Kim Andrew Elliott

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99

Change the gg to 9g, thus:

gopher://gopher.voa.gov/9g/audio/realaudio/communications_world_0200.ra/14_4.18

> 5) To download the 28.8 file:
>
> gopher://gopher.voa.gov/gg/audio/realaudio/communications_world_0200.ra/dnet.20

Again, change to gg to 9g, thus:

gopher://gopher.voa.gov/9g/audio/realaudio/communications_world_0200.ra/dnet.20

> Note a) that the files do NOT end in ".ra" so it might be a good idea
> to save them with an ".ra" extension.

However, Real Player plays them even without .ra extensions.

Kim

----------------------------
Kim Andrew Elliott
Producer and Presenter