New HD-R Embedded Exporter Technology - The Whole Truth

IBOCcrock

Apr 14, 2008, 3:08:21 PM4/14/08
"New Device To Shave HD Radio Entry Cost"

"Broadcasters just getting on the HD Radio train could save 20% or
more in the cost of launching HD broadcasts on their stations using
'embedded exporter' technology unveiled at the NAB2008 Show in Las
Vegas on Sunday (April 13). The newly created device will combine
multicast audio channels and advanced data services along with a
station's main audio channel into a format suitable for transmission
said the NAB's HD Radio Technology Advancement Task Force which, with
iBiquity Digital Corp. formed a partnership with four manufacturers to
develop the less expensive technology. The main goal of the NAB and
iBiquity was to lower the financial hurdle faced by middle-and small
market broadcasters to adopting HD. The NAB task force, formed in
2006, is chaired by Caroline Beasley, executive VP and CFO of Beasley
Broadcast Group, with Steve Newberry, CEO of Commonwealth Broadcasting
Co., acting as its vice chair. Newberry told R&R the savings to a
smaller market operator such as himself could be dramatic. He
estimated the savings at about $10,000 per station, reducing the HD
entry price to about $40,000. For a minimal investment, he added,
equipment for additional side channels can be bought, greatly
expanding a station's profile in its market."

http://www.radioandrecords.com/RRWebSite/

BUT:

"THE LATEST IN THE HD RADIO PARADE-O-FLOPS"

"Sounds to me like it's just a single box that incorporates both the
Importer and Exporter functions. Previously, the Importer was in a
separate chassis, running on a Windows platform. And it's the size of
a DVD player... wow, that's great! The Task Force must have assumed
that broom closets in most small market stations are too small for
both an Importer and an HD-2 automation system, but this will solve
the space crunch. Although this product may reduce some hardware costs
involved in multicasting (and hopefully improve system reliability), I
still want to know if iBiquity is willing to reduce the up-front HD
Radio license fee for small market broadcasters? Or do we continue to
pay the same rate as the major market stations? That's a much greater
financial hurdle than buying an Importer. All FM stations and many AM
stations must still purchase a new transmitter with a linear amp
(which will run less efficiently), along with a new STL, new audio
processing, etc. Where's the return on investment? Only FM stations
have the ability to multicast, so this announcement has no apparent
relevance to AM broadcasters, whether small or large market."

http://tinyurl.com/48zm93

RHF

Apr 14, 2008, 4:20:08 PM4/14/08

The First 'best' use of the HD-2 Channels on the
FM HD-Radio Band would be to Re-Broadcast
TV Audio Sound from around 1500 TV Stations
via the FM Radio Band as HD-2 Stations.

The Second 'best' use of the HD-2 Channels on the
FM HD-Radio Band would be to Transition around
3000 of the smaller lower powered AM/MW Radio
Stations to to the FM Radio Band as HD-2 Stations.

Present :
Total Analog FM Radio Stations = 6,309
Total Analog AM Radio Stations = 4,776

Future :
Total FM HD-Radio Stations = 6,309
Plus FM HD-2 {AM} Radio Stations ~ 3000
Plus FM HD-2 {TV Audio Sound} Radio Stations ~ 1500
Total AM HD-2 Radio Stations* = 1,776

* Note - Space the AM/MW HD-Radio Stations
at 20 kHz vice 10 kHz :
00 kHz; 20 kHz; 40 kHz; 60 kHz; 80 kHz;

~ RHF
.

Pocke...@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2008, 7:14:53 PM4/14/08

"Have 200 HD Radio stations gone missing?"

"The HD Radio camp is advertising that there are currently over 1,500
radio stations now broadcasting in HD (from its website, to press
releases as well as in various other promotions)... but yet only 1,300
have filed with the FCC."

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/have-200-hd-radio-stations-gone-missing.html

Dave

Apr 15, 2008, 8:47:32 AM4/15/08
RHF wrote:

> The First 'best' use of the HD-2 Channels on the
> FM HD-Radio Band would be to Re-Broadcast
> TV Audio Sound from around 1500 TV Stations
> via the FM Radio Band as HD-2 Stations.

TV is for idiots.