LF Engineering H800 Skymatch

junius

Nov 27, 2005, 7:43:10 PM11/27/05
I'm curious, for SW reception, does it work well with a portable
(like, say an SW77 or Satellite 700), as well as with your tabletop
receivers? Size-wise and being optionally battery-powered, it looks
like an attractive option for portable applications (certainly for,
say, a Drake SW8 or something of that calibre), but I'm wondering if
it's just too much an antenna for a portable...

Junius

dk

Nov 27, 2005, 9:17:45 PM11/27/05
Junius

I'm very interested to hear responses to this question as well! I'm
looking at either the H800 or H900, or the one from northcountry. I'm
currently using a Sangean Super 909 with a Degen DE-31 active loop
antenna.

Douglas Kilen
Superior WI USA
www.pbase.com/kilen

The Axelrods

Nov 27, 2005, 9:22:36 PM11/27/05
Saw a review at:

http://entropy.brneurosci.org/antenna-lfh800.html

Shawn
"junius" <junj...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

junius

Nov 27, 2005, 10:06:04 PM11/27/05
I didn't even realize that there was an H900. LF Engineering doesn't
list it on their website, but I see that it's on Grove's site (and that
Grove is the exclusive distributor of this unit). The product
information for the H900 doesn't indicate that it can be run off of
batteries. I wonder if this was just an omission...?

dk

Nov 27, 2005, 10:14:38 PM11/27/05
It looks like the H900 only works with the plug in adapter because of
power consumption... no battery option. (although I would probably
make my own external batter pack for it)

sdan...@nyc.rr.com

Nov 27, 2005, 10:20:02 PM11/27/05
The H-800 is a great little antenna. I have one. It will work just fine
with an SW77 or comparable portable, so long as the receiver in
question has a reasonably good attenuator. In my experience, the H-800
is dynamite on MW and up to around 5 mhz. It's good from 5 mhz up to
around 15 mhz, and it's performance gradually tapers off from there. At
any rate, this is how I remember it...I haven't used the H-800 very
much since switching over to a Wellbrook loop. It's a very good value,
though. Doesn't get the attention it deserves, in my opinion.

Steve

junius

Nov 28, 2005, 12:03:23 AM11/28/05
Thanks Axelrod for the link to the review and thanks Steve for your
impressions of the H-800. Since LF Electronics seems to tailor a lot
of their products toward lowfer and MW BCB listeners, I had thought
that it might well be the case that the H800 would exhibit better
performance in the lower frequencies than the higher frequencies of the
SW spectrum. Since my interest is primarily in HF, it seems that,
although it might offer some improvement in the 120 and 90 meter bands,
the H800 likely would not offer significantly improved reception over
the AOR WL500 antenna I already have (unless we're talking about
outdoor mounting of the H800 away from a noisy indoor environment).

The WL500 is a nicely made antenna; nice performance across the SW
spectrum. Easy to set up and decent on battery consumption, too.
Unfortunate that AOR discontinued this fine product.

Junius

junius

Nov 28, 2005, 12:08:50 AM11/28/05

I haven't used the H-800 very
> much since switching over to a Wellbrook loop. It's a very good value,
> though. Doesn't get the attention it deserves, in my opinion.

Well, the Wellbrook loops get some pretty nice reviews in Passport to
World Band Radio. Given Wellbrook's lack of any distribution in the
U.S. & Canada, it's sometimes a little surprising to see how many North
American SW listeners on this newsgroup are using Wellbrook loops.

Junius

sdan...@nyc.rr.com

Nov 28, 2005, 8:43:39 AM11/28/05
Yeah, I'm surprised that the people at Wellbrook haven't worked out a
distribution deal with, say, Universal or Grove.

It's also worth mentioning that I've heard good reports about the RF
Systems MTA vertical antenna, which is available through universal.
It's about seven feet tall, as I recall, and is passive and apparently
extremely quiet. However, if you have the space for it, the MTA is
probably worth considering. I'm not sure how it would compare with the
H-800, but someone else in the group might know.

Steve

Dale Parfitt

Nov 28, 2005, 8:45:14 AM11/28/05

"junius" <junj...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Active whips with good dynamic range are extremely easy to homebrew- and
excellent article appeared in QST a couple years back using a CATV
transistor- better IP3 than likely any of the consumer antennas available.
Seem to recall that FAR Circuits has the PC board.
Don't forget a good RF ground at the antenna- without it, the outside of the
coax shield becomes part of the antenna- transporting house noise out to the
pick up probe.
Dale W4OP

RHF

Nov 28, 2005, 3:18:36 PM11/28/05
Junius,

You may wish to read these four Messages about the
LF Engineering H-800 and H-900 Active Antennas.

ABOUT - "Omni" {Non} Directional Vertical Active Antennas
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/57df7f47f701f5f4

ABOUT - LF Engineering
- "Omni" {Non} Directional Vertical Active Antennas
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/9e33e014f4850ed8

What About
- An LF Engineering Vertical Active Antenna + Plus a Slinky Jr. ?
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/d9bf937573bb4101

The Secret to most of these Small Vertical Active Antennas seems
to be Location and Placement of the Active Antenna Element.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/bc336b89160888d8

As Dale Parfitt recommmended a good Ground to the mounting position
of the Active Antenna and connected to the Coax Cable's Outer End
Connector; can help reduce Noise Pick-Up along the Coax Cable .

TIP - Two Snap-On / Clamp-On Ferrite Core Choke one about 4" - 6"
down the Coax Cable from the Active Antenna and another one about
4" - 6" before the Coax Cable enters the House/Building can also help
reduce Noise Pick-Up.

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF
.
.
* * * EXTRACTED from NewsGroups : Rec.Radio.Shortwave
= = = From: "junius" <junjun...@...>
= = = Date: 27 Nov 2005 16:43:10 -0800
= = = Subject: LF Engineering H800 Skymatch

Junius
.
.
= = = Dale Parfitt wrote :

Active whips with good dynamic range are extremely easy to homebrew-
and
excellent article appeared in QST a couple years back using a CATV
transistor- better IP3 than likely any of the consumer antennas
available.
Seem to recall that FAR Circuits has the PC board.
Don't forget a good RF ground at the antenna- without it, the outside
of the
coax shield becomes part of the antenna- transporting house noise out
to the
pick up probe.

Dale W4OP
.
.
Alle Sind Willkommen ! - - - Shortwave Radiozuhörer
Gruppe für SWL Antennen
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Tutti Sono Benvenuti ! - - - Gruppo Radiofonico
dell'ascoltatore di onda corta per le Antenne di SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Todos São Bem-vindos ! - - - Grupo de Rádio
do ouvinte do Shortwave para Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Все Радушны ! - - - Группа оператора
на приеме коротковолнового диапазона
Radio для Aнтенн SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
¡Todos Son Agradables! - - - Grupo de Radio del oyente
de la onda corta para las Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
= = = = = Translation = = = = =
All are Welcome - - - To Join the Shortwave Listeners
(SWL) Antenna Group on YAHOO !
.
.
. .
.

RHF

Dec 18, 2005, 7:59:42 PM12/18/05
Junius,

One of the LF Engineering H800 Skymatch Active Antennas
is available on eBay at this time. It has a Starting Bid of $99
with a Buy-It-Now Price of $125 + $7.70 for S&H
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ5843281489

A 'bran new' LF Engineering H-800 Skymatch Active Antenna
with the full LF/MW/SW Spectrum from 10 kHz through 50 MHz.
http://www.grove-ent.com/ANT15.html
http://www.lfengineering.com/products.htm
http://www.lfengineering.com/pdf/Monitoring%20Times%20H-800.pdf
Standard MSRP Price of $139 + S&H

Question - Why Buy Used ?
When a New One with a Manufacture's Warranty and
Store 30 Day Return Policy only Costs $14 more.

well that is my two cents worth ~ RHF

junius

Dec 18, 2005, 9:23:17 PM12/18/05
Thanks, RHF, but I decided against the H800. From what I've read and
from the opinions folks have provided, I don't see that it would
necessarily give me any advantage over my AOR WL-500 for field use,
except, perhaps, in the 120 and 90 meter bands.

Thank you, though...

Junius.

sdan...@nyc.rr.com

Dec 18, 2005, 10:02:24 PM12/18/05
I personally think the H-800 would easily outperform the WL-500 IF you
find a quiet spot for it outdoors. I think of the H-800 as being in a
different league from the WL-500--and the fact that it can easily be
located outdoors is a huge, huge advantage.

But oh well...just my two cents.

Steve

junius

Dec 18, 2005, 10:15:24 PM12/18/05
really? I'd be using either out of doors in a quiet location. bear in
mind, I'm not talking about permanent mounting of the unit...just for
use in camping and that sorta thing.

what advantages d'ya think the h-800 would offer?

junius

sdan...@nyc.rr.com

Dec 18, 2005, 10:19:52 PM12/18/05
Okay...I see. If you'd be using the WL-500 outdoors while camping or
whatnot, then it might well outperform the H-800. It'd be an
interesting match-up, actually. Let us know how you like it.

Steve

RHF

Dec 19, 2005, 3:12:13 AM12/19/05
Junius,

Here are two possible reasons for choosing the

LF Engineering H-800 Skymatch Active Antenna

with Fifty Feet (50') of RG-174/U Coax Cable
for Camping and that sort of thing . . .

1. Rig a Rope to the H-800 (Top-Up) and use a Tree Limb
to hoise it up in the Air 35'-40' away from everything.

2. Put the H-800 On-Top of a 10' piece of PVC Pipe
that is secured in a One-Foot Hole-in-the-Ground and
is located 35'-40' away from everything.

The AOR WL-500 is a very good In-Door SWL Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0238.html
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0796.html
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0238sys.html
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0238int.html
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0238.pdf
and for In-Door use would most likely be much better than
the LF Engineering H-800 Skymatch Active Antenna.

LF Engineering H-800 Skymatch Active Antenna is
by design an Out-Side {Out-Doors} SWL Antenna
and in an Out-Side Environment {Location} would
have greater utility for both Fixed and Mobile use.

hey it's just my opinion - iane ~ RHF

mi...@sushi.com

Dec 19, 2005, 4:17:39 AM12/19/05
Comparing serial numbers on Wellbrook ALA 100, in a years time they
sold 3 of the version sold for North America. Their products are a bit
pricey, even more so due to the weak dollar.

Not only do they not have a North America outlet, but their UK outlet
doesn't have a secure server. You have to fax your credit card number
to the UK.

If you don't mind hacking a bit, the ALA 100 is the way to go. If
haven't checked lately, but when I got mine, it was the cheapest and
the least expensive to ship. Further, it is very portable since the
loop is whatever you DIY rather than some thing as big as a hulahoop.

RHF

Dec 19, 2005, 2:07:11 PM12/19/05
For One and All,

The WellBrook Large Aperture Active Loop Antenna ALA100
Frequency Coverage : 50 kHz To 30 MHz
ALA100 => http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/ALA100b.html
With the WellBrook ALA100 it is recommended that the
Wire Loop Antenna Element be about 8-18 Meters; which
is about 26 to 59 Feet long. The larger sizes when the
ALA100 is mounted as a Fixed Vertical Loop and the
smaller size when the ALA100 is Mounted on a Rotor.

The WellBrook Large Aperture Active Loop Antenna ALA100
http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/images/laloop.gif
is primarily designed to be set-up as a Out-Side Fixed
Vertical Loop Antenna.

WellBrook Products Info
http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/products.html

* WellBrook Active Loop Antenna Model ALA 1530
http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/ALA1530.html
Frequency Coverage : 150kHz-30MHz = LW/MW/SW
Antenna : One Meter Diameter Aluminium Loop

* WellBrook LFL 1010 Active Loop Antenna Model
http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/LFL1010.html
Frequency Coverage : 10 kHz - 10 MHz = VLF/LW/MW/TB
Antenna : One Point One Meter Diameter Aluminium Loop

* WellBrook ALA 330S Active Loop Antenna Model
http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/ALA330S.html
Frequency Coverage : 3 MHz - 30 MHz = Shortwave Bands Only
Antenna : One Point One Meter Diameter Aluminium Loop

* WellBrook LA 5030 In-Door Loop Antenna
http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/LA5030.html
Frequency Coverage : 50 kHz - 30 MHz = LW/MW/SW
Antenna : Zero Point Seven (70cm) Meter Diameter Aluminium Loop

* WellBrook K9AY Directional Terminated Loop Antenna
Frequency Coverage : 60 kHz to 4 MHz = LW/MW/TB
http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/K9AYc.html
The K9AY Loop Antenna requires two 25 Meter Wire Loop
Antenna Elements set at 90 Degrees from each other using
a common 8 Meter Vertical Support.
http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/images/k9ay.gif

* WellBrook Universal Magnetic Balun UMB130
http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/UMB.html
The Wellbrook UMB130 is a Receiving Antenna
Matching Transformer with a 9:1 Impedance Ratio.
http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/longwire.html
http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/longwire.html
Diagram - Low Noise Longwire Antenna using the
WellBrook UMB130 and Feeder Isolator AFI 1530.
http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/images/antright.gif

* WellBrook Universal Magnetic Balun UMB T2FD
http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/UMBT2FD.html
http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/images/umbt2fd.gif
The Wellbrook Universal Magnetic Balun UMB T2FD
is a Receiving Antenna Balun designed to simplify
the construction of the T2FD Antenna.
http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/images/umbt2fdc.gif
http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/images/umbt2fde.gif

WellBrook Price Info
http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/buy.html

WellBrook Reviews
http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/ALA1530.html#reviews

eMail WellBrook
<sa...@wellbrook.uk.com>

junius

Dec 19, 2005, 2:38:57 PM12/19/05
RHF,

You're indeed quite right about the potential height advantage w/regard
to using the H800. I think, however, that if I'm stringing something
up in the trees, I'll just take along a Par Electronics EF-SWL antenna.
I have a friend who has used this antenna for portable outdoor
applications, and he's had excellent results. So, I think I'll go that
route, if taking a bit of extra time to put up an antenna at some
height.

Best,

Junius

RHF

Dec 19, 2005, 6:32:14 PM12/19/05
Junius,

The Par Electronics End-Fed Shortwave Listener's EF-SWL Antenna
is a very good Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna and I recommend
it to any one who wants to get good results right out of the box by
simply adding Coax Cable and a Ground.

PAR Electronics EF-SWL Antenna Info :
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/9db0c1f933b5e495

POPCOM=> http://www.popular-communications.com/23HomelandOct04.html
MT=> http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/mt2003reviews.html
eHAM=> http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3707
PAR=> http://www.parelectronics.com/swl_end.htm
UR=> http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2205.html
GE=> http://www.grove-ent.com/ANT8.html

READ - PAR Electronics EF-SWL Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/1666
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/ee85739bddf54cc3
Setting-Up the Ground Connection

READ: Par Electronics EF-SWL" End-Fed Shortwave Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/277
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/672c697b586250c4

Question - Do you have a 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio ?
Then Read Setting-Up a Par EF-SWL Antenna with a 'portable' AM/FM
Shortwave Radio using an External Antenna 1/8" Mono-Jack Input.

READ - Lets Think : Out-of-the-Box {Ready-Made}
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antennas for a Minute.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/a91e9554b3d7d7ee

i have one setting right next to me
in the box as i write - iane ~ RHF
.
.

David

Dec 19, 2005, 7:09:10 PM12/19/05
On 19 Dec 2005 15:32:14 -0800, "RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net>
wrote:

> .
> .
>. .
> .

$60 for a simple wire antenna?

RHF

Dec 19, 2005, 8:15:46 PM12/19/05
David,

Often you do get what you pay for and the Par Electronics
End-Fed Shortwave Listener's EF-SWL Antenna offers good
value for the Money when compared to other Commercial
{Ready-Make} Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antennas that
are currently available to buy and use.

READ - Lets Think : Out-of-the-Box {Ready-Made}
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antennas for a Minute.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/a91e9554b3d7d7ee

iane ~ RHF

David

Dec 19, 2005, 8:58:03 PM12/19/05
On 19 Dec 2005 17:15:46 -0800, "RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>David,
>
>Often you do get what you pay for and the Par Electronics
>End-Fed Shortwave Listener's EF-SWL Antenna offers good
>value for the Money when compared to other Commercial
>{Ready-Make} Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antennas that
>are currently available to buy and use.

It's very nice but probably overkill. I enjoy making my own, with me
bare hands.

http://www.geocities.com/qrp_baluns/LM.html

http://www.bulkwire.com/teflon_coated_stranded_wire.asp

sdan...@nyc.rr.com

Dec 19, 2005, 9:35:31 PM12/19/05
The problem is, the antennas you make never seem to work.

RHF

Dec 19, 2005, 11:57:14 PM12/19/05
David - Per your two links :

One RF Junkie SWLZ Balun = $16.50

45 Feet (#14 AWG @ 45/100 x $70) = $31.50

Total Cost $48

PAR EF-SWL Antenna = $58

david - you decide - iane ~ RHF

David

Dec 20, 2005, 8:55:10 AM12/20/05
On 19 Dec 2005 20:57:14 -0800, "RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>David - Per your two links :

14g for an antenna? Try 22g.

RHF

Dec 20, 2005, 6:40:43 PM12/20/05
David,

The Par Electronics End-Fed Shortwave Listener's EF-SWL Antenna
uses 45 Feet of # 14 AWG Polyethylene Black Jacketed Flex-Weave
Antenna Wire with 168 Copper Strands as it's Wire Antenna Element.
FLEX-WEAVE => http://www.davisrf.com/ham1/flexweve.htm

That was the basis of the above # 14 AWG comparison ~ RHF

.
.
. .
.

David

Dec 20, 2005, 7:36:06 PM12/20/05
On 20 Dec 2005 15:40:43 -0800, "RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net>
wrote:

Like I said, it's very nice. Probably overkill. I have a piece of
Teflon insulated, tinned 22g strateched 125' across my backyard that's
working just fine. Seems a thick wire like the 14g would require a
heavier-duty suppourt arrangement. I just use nails and TyRaps.

sdan...@nyc.rr.com

Dec 20, 2005, 8:45:31 PM12/20/05

RHF

Dec 21, 2005, 2:41:12 AM12/21/05