Active antennas

Stephen Drummonds

Jul 28, 2006, 1:45:06 PM7/28/06
I am considering buying a Icom r75 and would like to get an active antenna
to go with it. my question is this Are the active antennas worth the money
or should I stick with a wire antenna? Thanks for any input Steve

David

Jul 28, 2006, 3:35:45 PM7/28/06

Where are you?

RHF

Jul 28, 2006, 4:02:14 PM7/28/06
SD,

For Shortwave Listening (SWL) what you would spend on an
Active Antenna; you could buy a good 'passive' Wire Antenna.
* Your Location {Region} and Weather can be a Factor in
your choice of Antennas.
* The RF Environment {Noise} of your Location {Neighborhood}
also can be a Factor in your choice of Antennas.

1 - Two Major Determining Factors would be :
* The Size-of-the-Area {Space} that you have to put the
Wire Antenna up in; and the relative noise of your location.
- - - - - vice - - - - -
* The Distance-Away-from the Home and other Sources
of Noise that you could Locate the Active Antenna.

2 - Here are a few Good "Out-Side" 'passive' Wire Antennas
for the Shortwave Listener (SWL) : {Sized - Big to Small}
* Alpha Delta DX-Ultra Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3377.html
* Antenna Supermarket Eavesdropper SWL Sloper Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0013.html
* * Par Electronics EF-SWL Antenna - Rigged as a
15 Foot Vertical by 30 Foot Horizontal Inverted "L"
{Low Noise} Antenna with Coax Cable feed-in-line.
http://www.grove-ent.com/ANT8.html
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2205.html
* RF Systems Mini-Windom Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3575.html

3 - Here are a few Good "Out-Side" Active Antennas for
the Shortwave Listener (SWL) : {Priced - High to Moderate}
* Dressler ARA60S Active Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/4061.html
* RF Systems DX-10 Professional Active Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2868.html
* * McKay Dymek DA-100E Active Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0328.html
* LF Engineering H-800 Skymatch Active Antenna
http://www.grove-ent.com/ANT15.html
* MFJ-1024 Active Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/1132.html

Most of these are considered to offer Full Spectrum Coverage of
both the Medium-Wave and Shortwave Bands : 500 kHz - 30 MHz.

FWIW - As time goes on you may wish to have both an
Out-Side Wire Antenna and an Active Antenna as a "Pair"
of Antennas to Choose from for a variety of Shortwave
Listening (SWL) needs.

iane ~ RHF
.
Shortwave Listener Antennas => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
SWL Antenna Group => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
.
The Shortwave Listener's Blessing :
SWL BLESSING => http://tinyurl.com/s2bjm
May You Never Tire of Listening to the Radio and Always
have Strong Signals and Noise Free Reception ~ RHF {ibid}
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/9233
.

/ \
-------!-------

Lisa Simpson

Jul 28, 2006, 4:34:18 PM7/28/06
While an external antenna, such as an Eavesdropper, would be the best
solution for you, an internal active antenna such as the Radio Shack
amplified shortwave antenna is good too!

"Stephen Drummonds" <step...@centurytel.net> wrote in message

mi...@sushi.com

Jul 28, 2006, 4:58:17 PM7/28/06

Wellbrook loop.

Michael Lawson

Jul 28, 2006, 5:38:26 PM7/28/06

<mi...@sushi.com> wrote in message

If he wants to spend the dollars, the Wellbrook loop
will do well, especially if he has local noise to deal
with.

--Mike L.

Jake Brodsky

Jul 28, 2006, 5:52:11 PM7/28/06

Active antennas can be reasonably good, but there is one tiny hitch:
You need to isolate it from all the electrical and computer hash you'll
generate in your house. Do not buy a cheap active antenna or you'll be
sorry.

It's actually easier to erect a random wire antenna and use it instead
of an active antenna. That said, a well isolated loop antenna with an
external power supply, isolated from the rest of the house, might be
just what the doctor ordered for a small suburban lot. Loop antennas
have the advantage of being able to null out local groundwave signals.

However, if you have more than fifty feet of distance available to you,
I suggest you look in to the random wire first. It's cheaper, and it
just plain works...

DE AB3A

Stephen Drummonds

Jul 28, 2006, 6:49:35 PM7/28/06
Thanks to all who wrote and gave me some very good answers to my question.
I think I will go with the wire antenna for now also to the gentleman that
asked what area I am from Im located in Alabama Thanks to all who
responded!! Steve

"Jake Brodsky" <ab...@cNo0mScPaAsMt.net> wrote in message

Harveya...@aol.com

Jul 28, 2006, 6:58:01 PM7/28/06

Steve:

IF you live in a Very , low noise environment;

- Or can move the active antenna out away from your home, Into a low
noise environment, then I suggest messing around with this.

Putting up an active antenna in a noisy environment will just ..
Amplify the ambient noise as well as Shortwave Signals

Suggest Just use a regular random wire, with a co-ax feed.

Congratulations on th R-75

David

Jul 28, 2006, 6:58:19 PM7/28/06
On 28 Jul 2006 13:02:14 -0700, "RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>SD,
>
>For Shortwave Listening (SWL) what you would spend on an
>Active Antenna; you could buy a good 'passive' Wire Antenna.
>* Your Location {Region} and Weather can be a Factor in
>your choice of Antennas.

It depends on your location and what you want to listen to. A 50'
random wire is OK for SWL but it has nulls and is somewhat weak for
MW. A coax matcher and cable complicates the installation.

I'm away from any strong local signals and get really good service out
of an MFJ-1024 on my bedroom radio. I can hear KOMO 1,000 very
reliably every night and I'm 3 states away.

Steve

Jul 28, 2006, 9:02:26 PM7/28/06

RHF, I'm surprised you didn't mention the "Mini Whip".

Steve

RHF

Jul 29, 2006, 4:10:49 AM7/29/06
Steve,

PA0RDT-Mini-Whip {Active} Antenna - Inch-per-Inch - It Works !
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/dbc4666783b0a2f6

Shortwave Listening (SWL) "Receive-Only" Antennas
- Away Is Better - Then Up ! - Or Is It ?
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/d475a10814862d1d

~ RHF
.
.
. .

RHF

Jul 29, 2006, 4:48:10 AM7/29/06

David wrote:
> On 28 Jul 2006 13:02:14 -0700, "RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net>
> wrote:
>
> >SD,
> >
> >For Shortwave Listening (SWL) what you would spend on an
> >Active Antenna; you could buy a good 'passive' Wire Antenna.
> >* Your Location {Region} and Weather can be a Factor in
> >your choice of Antennas.

- It depends on your location and what you want to listen to.
- A 50' random wire is OK for SWL but it has nulls and is
- somewhat weak for MW. A coax matcher and cable
- complicates the installation.

David - The Par Electronics EF-SWL Antenna
* That is Rigged {Set-Up} as a 15 Foot Vertical by

30 Foot Horizontal Inverted "L" {Low Noise} Antenna

with Coax Cable feed-in-line and remote Ground Rod.
http://www.grove-ent.com/ANT8.html
* Gives good all-around Shortwave Band reception and
works well on the AM/MW Band Antenna too.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2205.html
* It is no more complicated to install then most
small Active Antennas.
* Active Antennas need to be installed properly and
in the right location. Otherwise they can be great
Noise Amplifiers and make Radio Listening a pain.

- I'm away from any strong local signals and get really
- good service out of an MFJ-1024 on my bedroom radio.
- I can hear KOMO 1,000 very reliably every night and
- I'm 3 states away.

David - The MFJ-1024 Active Antenna was on the list
of Active Antennas that I provided.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/1132.html
* For many who can not have a very 'visible' Antenna
small Active Antennas like the MFJ-1024 do a very
good job in letting them hear what they want to hear.
* The only feature of the MFJ-1024 that I do not like
is the Telescoping Whip Antenna.
* * I would replace the short Whip Antenna with a
solid CB Whip Antenna mounted on a piece of 21
Foot Top-Rail and 50 Foot of Coax Cable to get it
away from the House and out-side Up-in-the-Air.
* * Small Active Antennas like the MFJ-1024 some
times can be used In-Side the Attic with a Pair of
Perpendicular One-Metre Diamond Wire Loops.

and that's my view from the far side of . . .
the antenna wire - iane ~ RHF
.
.
. .

David

Jul 29, 2006, 8:20:13 AM7/29/06
On 29 Jul 2006 01:48:10 -0700, "RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>David wrote:
>> On 28 Jul 2006 13:02:14 -0700, "RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >SD,
>> >
>> >For Shortwave Listening (SWL) what you would spend on an
>> >Active Antenna; you could buy a good 'passive' Wire Antenna.
>> >* Your Location {Region} and Weather can be a Factor in
>> >your choice of Antennas.
>
>- It depends on your location and what you want to listen to.
>- A 50' random wire is OK for SWL but it has nulls and is
>- somewhat weak for MW. A coax matcher and cable
>- complicates the installation.
>
>David - The Par Electronics EF-SWL Antenna
>* That is Rigged {Set-Up} as a 15 Foot Vertical by
>30 Foot Horizontal Inverted "L" {Low Noise} Antenna
>with Coax Cable feed-in-line and remote Ground Rod.

This is no different than any other wire antenna with a coax matcher.

I have a random wire. A random wire with an MLB. And the MFJ-1024.

I posted my observation.

I don't appreciate your Doctor Bronner on Acid replies. They are
anarchy and they are more confusing tha helpful.

You have issues.

Bob Miller

Jul 29, 2006, 11:00:38 AM7/29/06
On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 12:45:06 -0500, "Stephen Drummonds"
<step...@centurytel.net> wrote:

I have a Dymek Stoner DA100E active antenna, indoors. It works fine,
doesn't take up much space, but a full size outdoor wire antenna
provides stronger, louder reception of signals.

A big wire antenna is cheaper, the active antenna is more convenient;
take your choice.

bob
k5qwg

David

Jul 29, 2006, 11:38:52 AM7/29/06
On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 15:00:38 GMT, Bob Miller <NOS...@neosoft.com>
wrote:

The Stoner and the MFJ-1024 are essentially car radio antennas. They
are omnidirectional and vertically polarised. These can be
advantageous attributes sometimes. The more antennas the merrier.

RHF

Jul 30, 2006, 2:51:41 AM7/30/06
- You have issues.

David - Issues . . . That I Do !
and thank you for your expert opinion ~ RHF
.
.
. .