WWV 10 MHz Spanish language interference

Kevin Tekel

Feb 10, 2002, 11:01:48 PM2/10/02
For years I have been noticing what I call "the party on WWV". Every
night, underneath the signal of time station WWV on 10 MHz, I hear many
people talking nonsense in Spanish. The most common phrase is "hola,
hola, hola" (pronounced "ola", meaning "hello" in Spanish). And there
is various other jabbering, yelling, whistling, even playing sound
effects and music. This sounds a bit like a Spanish version of CB
radio, except on top of WWV's signal.

This is definitely happening right on 10.000 MHz as I have heard it for
years on various different receviers in various different locations with
all sorts of antennas. Many times the "party" is strong enough to be
heard over WWV's signal even on a cheap pocket-size shortwave receiver
using only the attached whip antenna. I have also noticed that I never
heard this on 5 or 15 MHz; it is only on 10 MHz.

Looking through the Deja archives, I see two previous discussions about
this in this newsgroup, but nothing conclusive was found about the
origins of these Spanish language transmissions occuring on 10 MHz.

So.... is anybody else hearing this? And does anyone have any idea
where it might be coming from (specific countries)? And what is the
point of all this? There are no real conversations (QSO's) going on,
per se, just a lot of jabbering and nonsense.

One possible explanation I have heard is that this is from airplane
pilots doing a radio check. They turn on their radio, tune in WWV to
make sure the receiver part is working, and then without changing the
frequency, they key up the transmitter and say "hola, hola, hola" into
the microphone. OK, I can understand this happening maybe once in a
while. But the stuff I hear on WWV is *way* too frequent to be this.
People are saying "hola, hola, hola" like 10 times in a row, and there
is all that other nonsense going on like whistling and yelling. I don't
think there are this many Spanish-speaking airplane pilots in the whole
world!

If you have an MP3 player on your computer, you can download and listen
to a recording of this "party on WWV" that I made tonight, from this web
site:

http://www.geocities.com/dieselweb/wwvparty.htm

It often gets even worse than it is in the recording. Sometimes the
Spanish voices are so strong they sound like they are coming from right
in the USA.

David Eduardo

Feb 10, 2002, 11:10:54 PM2/10/02

"Kevin Tekel" <kevtr...@compuserve.com> wrote in message

> For years I have been noticing what I call "the party on WWV". Every
> night, underneath the signal of time station WWV on 10 MHz, I hear many
> people talking nonsense in Spanish. The most common phrase is "hola,
> hola, hola" (pronounced "ola", meaning "hello" in Spanish). And there
> is various other jabbering, yelling, whistling, even playing sound
> effects and music. This sounds a bit like a Spanish version of CB
> radio, except on top of WWV's signal.

I listened to the recording. The accent on the Spanish sounded deep South
American; that could be tht location of the transmitter or it could be an
Argentine in your backyard. I could make nothing out of the other noises.
The tone and inflection in the Hola's made it seem like I was hearing a
loop... the inflection and cadence was identical each time.

> I don't
> think there are this many Spanish-speaking airplane pilots in the whole
> world!

Likely not true. If you have ever stayed in an Airport area hotel in Miami
or LA, you would think that airline pilots speak nothing but Spanish. The
lobbies of these establishments are constantly filled with Latin American
airline employees, including pilots, speaking Spanish.

phil

Feb 10, 2002, 11:22:58 PM2/10/02
Hola Kevin!

i did a Google search... the "Hola hola hola hola hola!" pirate has been
around since at least 1997 on 10 MHz :).

hasta luego
phil :)

Kevin Tekel

Feb 10, 2002, 11:44:14 PM2/10/02
> I listened to the recording. The accent on the Spanish sounded deep South
> American; that could be tht location of the transmitter or it could be an
> Argentine in your backyard. I could make nothing out of the other noises.
> The tone and inflection in the Hola's made it seem like I was hearing a
> loop... the inflection and cadence was identical each time.

Although it may sound like that, this is coming from much more than just
one person. In my hours of listening to this nonsense I have heard
dozens of different voices, even some *women* saying "hola hola hola"!
And in this recording, listen just after the WWV announcer says
"Inquiries regarding these transmissions..." for some other Spanish
voice, obviously coming from a different person, saying something which
my high school level of Spanish doesn't quite understand.

David Eduardo

Feb 10, 2002, 11:51:32 PM2/10/02

"Kevin Tekel" <kevtr...@compuserve.com> wrote in message

I could not get much out of it, but I don't have headphones on my computer
setup... it purposely has speakers matched to broadcast studio monitors so I
can do editing and stuff. But they are lousy DX speakers. I will save the
file and see if the DX phones bring out anything. For the moment, the loud
voice seems to say "vaya" or "papaya" (which is a dirty word to Cubans).

Tom Sevart

Feb 11, 2002, 1:12:00 AM2/11/02

> For years I have been noticing what I call "the party on WWV". Every
> night, underneath the signal of time station WWV on 10 MHz, I hear many
> people talking nonsense in Spanish.

Tonight (11 Feb, 0608Z) I can hear someone weakly under WWV & WWVH speaking
Spanish. WWVH is coming in at S9+20, WWV barely audible, but a male voice
speaking Spanish is occasionally audible in there under the tones.

Tom

starman

Feb 11, 2002, 4:16:16 PM2/11/02
2/11/02

These people are time station pirates or 'hijackers'. They know they'll
be heard by a lot of people that listen to the time stations for
legitimate reasons.
*****

Kevin Tekel

Feb 11, 2002, 7:14:09 PM2/11/02
> These people are time station pirates or 'hijackers'. They know they'll
> be heard by a lot of people that listen to the time stations for
> legitimate reasons.

Right now I am hearing what sounds like digital data transmissions on
top of WWV (that are definitely not coming from WWV itself). It's the
same type of "squawk" sound like you hear from pager or packet radio
transmissions. But for all I know, this could just be the "hola hola
hola" folks playing around with sound effects generators. They do that
from time to time -- I've heard sounds like video game gun blasts, and
also phone Touch Tones, in addition to the usual wide variety of
whistling into the microphone.

I guess 10.000 MHz is turning into the Latin American version of CB
radio... just a bunch of nonsense from people with nothing better to do
than amuse themselves on the air....

phil

Feb 11, 2002, 7:21:52 PM2/11/02
starman:

> These people are time station pirates or 'hijackers'. They know they'll
> be heard by a lot of people that listen to the time stations for
> legitimate reasons.

so what you're saying is they're reading my message right now saying...
'dude, look at this, they're talking about us, far out man'. the programming
on 10 MHz was pretty boring anyway... having someone say hola five times was
like adding chile to a plain potato.

phil :p

DISCLAIMER: The writer of this message does not condone illegal
transmissions of any type no matter how funny they may be. hola.

Kevin Tekel

Feb 11, 2002, 9:24:05 PM2/11/02
I just added some new recordings to my "Party on WWV" web site:

http://www.geocities.com/dieselweb/wwvparty.htm

Tonight around 00:00 to 01:00 UTC there was a LOT of chatter going on...
almost sounded like people were having actual back-and-forth
conversations, in addition to the usual "hola hola hola!" and whistling,
of course. It sounds like some are using AM and others are using SSB.
And then somebody started playing MUSIC on top of WWV! Lots of fun.

Byron L. Hicks

Feb 12, 2002, 10:48:54 AM2/12/02
I dunno, It sounds like a little front-end overloading to me.

--
Byron L. Hicks
Network Engineer

"Kevin Tekel" <kevtr...@compuserve.com> wrote in message

phil

Feb 12, 2002, 7:27:25 PM2/12/02
Byron:

> I dunno, It sounds like a little front-end overloading to me.

that brings up a good point... what receiver are they using? we can check
out what type of bandpass filters etc are in the front end.

phil :)

Kevin Tekel

Feb 12, 2002, 8:13:36 PM2/12/02
> that brings up a good point... what receiver are they using? we can
> check out what type of bandpass filters etc are in the front end.

It says right in the ID tag of the MP3 files that I am using a
Hallicrafters S-38C. This is not the most modern or selective radio,
but I can assure you that the phenomenon of Spanish voices on top of
10.000 MHz WWV has been observed by people in many different locations
using many different receivers, including modern double- and
triple-conversion radios that are pretty much immune from things like
intermod, harmonics, and front end overload.

phil

Feb 12, 2002, 8:46:21 PM2/12/02
> It says right in the ID tag of the MP3 files that I am using a
> Hallicrafters S-38C.

my bad Kevin, i write some of these messages in a hurry.

phil :)

www.TimNebo.com

Feb 13, 2002, 5:08:54 PM2/13/02
if there using ssb but right on freq eith wwv theyll ride the carrier and come
in clear as day on a AM radio

>of course. It sounds like some are using AM and others are using SSB.
>And then somebody started playing MUSIC on top of WWV! Lots of fun.

Tim Nebo
http://www.TimNebo.com
l\__O
l_l \

mizec...@gmail.com

Jan 2, 2013, 8:41:08 PM1/2/13
very old post btw! just a few minutes ago i heard some MAJOR interference on wwv. heard a very fast talking guy doing a weather broadcast. i could not even hear the time!

karab...@yahoo.com

Jan 3, 2013, 1:12:04 AM1/3/13
Spanish is the second most popular language in the world,according to Wikipedia. Over 400 Million native speakers .

Brenda Dyer

Jan 3, 2013, 7:24:14 AM1/3/13

wrote in message

How far down that list is English? I figure that languages like Hindi and
Cantonese are likely higher on the list.

karab...@yahoo.com

Jan 3, 2013, 6:24:41 PM1/3/13
Mandarin is the most used,of course...Followed by Spanish,English,Hindi etc. Again- this is by the total number of native speakers, not counting people using a different primary language . And English remains the most common tongue spoken/written worldwide on a regular basis.

fared.m...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2015, 9:36:43 AM3/20/15
---Replied by Fred after 13 years of monitoring this group discussion---

The digital data transmission is indeed time signal station RWM out of Moscow-Taldom, Russia.
RWM are sometimes audible, depending on the propagation.
The faint morse code ID is indeed time signal station BPM out of Pucheng County, Xi'an, China.
And, finally, the end lines of the "Hola Hola Hola" is actually YVTO out of Caracas, Venezuela.

P.S. It's so weird to reply to a 13 year old group discussion. I hope someone will pay attention to this post.

73's from Malaysia
Fred.

2015 A.D.

Oregonian Haruspex

Mar 20, 2015, 3:35:44 PM3/20/15
The beauty of Usenet is that a 13 year old thread doesn't have to die.

Thanks for the information Fred.
Message has been deleted