the truth about Radio-mart on eBay, judge for yourself

mike maghakian

Dec 5, 2005, 2:38:11 AM12/5/05
a couple of weeks ago I listed on eBay a broken FRG-7700 receiver. the buyer
was gottahaveit1995. it was paid for and shipped to Martyn Allison.
today, Radio-mart has listed that identical FRG-7700, including the CD I
made and included. he made up a story that was not true that he had sold
this receiver in working condition and it was returned broken.
Radio-mart also happens to be Martyn Allison. and this is not the first time
he bought something from me under gottahaveit1995 and sold it two weeks
later as radio-mart
the auctions in question are: 5837723543 and 5833316809
judge for yourself how honest this person is and if you can ever believe
anything he says in his auctions.

mike maghakian

Dec 5, 2005, 2:43:58 AM12/5/05
I should have added that he did not mention that the analog dial light is
burnt out and there are some bruises to the case that preclude it from being
called excellent as he has done.

I have the serial number of the one I sold if anyone wants to compare what
he says it is to what I sold if they want further proof.

"mike maghakian" <magh...@comcast.net> wrote in message

OregonMike

Dec 5, 2005, 4:42:25 AM12/5/05
On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 23:43:58 -0800, "mike maghakian"
<magh...@comcast.net> wrote:

>I should have added that he did not mention that the analog dial light is
>burnt out and there are some bruises to the case that preclude it from being
>called excellent as he has done.
>
>I have the serial number of the one I sold if anyone wants to compare what
>he says it is to what I sold if they want further proof.

Radio-Mart is a well known and proven con artist but thanks for the
heads up.

OMO

Unrevealed Source

Dec 5, 2005, 5:52:22 AM12/5/05
I think most people are wise to the Radio-mart scam, but it's good to post
reminders for new people. I have "gottahaveit1995" on my blocked bidders
list, and Radio-mart is excluded from my saved searches.

By the way, that's one of his two most common stories. The other one is
about taking a radio in "as part of a parts trade", when in reality he just
bought it off eBay.

Greg

Dec 5, 2005, 8:08:13 AM12/5/05

> From: "mike maghakian" <magh...@comcast.net>
> Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
> Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 23:38:11 -0800
> Subject: the truth about Radio-mart on eBay, judge for yourself

You should contact ebay with this info, if you haven't already.

Greg

Michael Lawson

Dec 5, 2005, 10:11:11 AM12/5/05

"mike maghakian" <magh...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Yeah, I was bidding on a radio 2 weeks ago, and he tried
to sneak in at the last second and win it, but was denied
by someone who really really wanted that radio.

--Mike L.

leansto...@democrat.com

Dec 5, 2005, 12:00:45 PM12/5/05
I refuse to deal with radiomart because of the private bidders, but
appreciate the documentation that he is a crook. I assume the private
bidders are to use shills. Ebay is really oriented in favor of the
seller, not the buyer, else ebay wouldn't allow such scams. [The
reserve auction is a prime example of ebay favoring the seller.]

I wonder if ebay "university" tells jerks to buy stuff on ebay from an
honest seller that indicates the warts, then sell it with an ad worthy
of a real estate agent lie, a better photograph, and pretend to be a
store instead of an individual since a store must know what they are
doing.

dxAce

Dec 5, 2005, 12:19:00 PM12/5/05

leansto...@democrat.com wrote:

> I refuse to deal with radiomart because of the private bidders, but
> appreciate the documentation that he is a crook. I assume the private
> bidders are to use shills.

Noooooo... it's so that those who are wise to him can't alert the bidders.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Brian Hill

Dec 5, 2005, 12:27:36 PM12/5/05

"dxAce" <dx...@milestones.com> wrote in message

I imagine it's for both reasons. If you can't see whos bidding, you can't
tell if your being shilled or not. He did get kicked off for that reason, if
you remember.

--

Regards
B.H.

Brian's Basement
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/6.htm

Brian's Radio Universe
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/500.htm

D Peter Maus

Dec 5, 2005, 12:47:16 PM12/5/05

Both he and Radios4You regularly read this forum and adapt their
practices by what they read here, resulting in things like the hidden
bidders and feedback. On at least two instances after technical
discussions in which I participated, I was contacted by one of them with
a request to take on a project for one of their newly acquired radios. I
declined both times. I'm sure I wasn't the only one contacted.

One of the things that happens when you post something to a public
forum such as this, is it attracts attention from those you'd rather not
have looking over your shoulder. Radio-Mart and Radios4You being only
two. And when someone, as happens here, telegraphs a distaste for a
vendor and suggests, as has happened here, an intent to interfere in a
transaction by contacting bidders directly, such comments provoke a
response.

Commenting on absurd prices, or questionable products is one thing.
Not unlike telling your friends that a different vendor has better
pricing, higher quality, or more diversified offerings. We do that every
day in recommending Universal, HRO, Grove or any of the other vendors
with whom we deal. Stating an intent to follow someone into a store and
tell him/her about bad experiences, questionable ethics, or
misrepresented products is quite another matter. And the vendor, no
matter how shady, shifty and malintended he/she may be has the right and
the power to close doors to such direct accusations, especially in their
own store. eBay's analog to that is the hidden bidder/private auction.

If someone would really wish to do something effective in having an
impact on these guy's business practices, stop telling the world what
you're going to do. Once the intent has been stated, preemptive defense
is the next step.

If neither of these guys openly state, "I'm going to buy questionable
goods, put them up for sale at inflated prices and sell them as New In
Box," then don't openly state what you're going to do to impact such
questionable practices.

You don't win a chess game by laying out your moves in advance.

Telamon

Dec 5, 2005, 1:18:13 PM12/5/05
In article <LIWdnTYyGIRccg7e...@comcast.com>,
"mike maghakian" <magh...@comcast.net> wrote:

Why don't you report him to eBay?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Michael Lawson

Dec 5, 2005, 2:18:25 PM12/5/05

"D Peter Maus" <DPete...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. The best thing
to do when bidding is to become knowledgeable
on what you're bidding so that you know what's
really going on.

> One of the things that happens when you post something to a public
> forum such as this, is it attracts attention from those you'd rather
not
> have looking over your shoulder. Radio-Mart and Radios4You being
only
> two. And when someone, as happens here, telegraphs a distaste for a
> vendor and suggests, as has happened here, an intent to interfere in
> transaction by contacting bidders directly, such comments provoke a
> response.

In the case of these guys and eBay in general, be
skeptical of anything unusual, such as private auctions.
Sure, there are probably plenty of nice private auctions
out there, but let's face it: if you can't see what's going
on before you bid, then maybe you ought to not bid
on it. After all, stuff comes up all the time.

Or better yet, create a budget and stick to it. Don't
get sucked into bidding more than you want to,
and if you can, instead of an online auction go
and look at the thing at a hamfest.

--Mike L.

IonSpot

Dec 5, 2005, 2:27:12 PM12/5/05
The Truth About Radio-Mart is this: The root cause of this fraud is the
simple fact that eBay allows it to happen.

Think of it: A seller sells gottahaveit1995 a radio. Ebay gets paid.
Martyn then sells the radio as radio-mart. The same item sells again some
three weeks later (usually for MORE money).....guess what: Ebay gets paid
again!

What incentive is there for eBay to clean up these types of sellers?
Answer: none. Remember Martyn's "Summer Vacation" away from ebay about two
years ago....well, eBay did reinstate him after being caught shill
bidding....what (again) does that say about the Bay?

Ebay is only as honest as the individual seller is honest. It can be as
corrupt as any seller wants it to be, within eBay's broad sellers rules.

We are the real dopes, selling Mr. Martyn all of our stuff and then bidding
it up when we know full well that it's trash. Take a look at some the
"mint" equipment he sells...you can see the knicks and rust on the cabinets
for heavens' sake.

He's been blocked as a buyer of my equipment and shall remain so, no matter
how much he's willing to bid.

cuh...@webtv.net

Dec 5, 2005, 3:05:19 PM12/5/05
Isn't he the guy who also "clenses" those radios? Well anyway,I dont do
ebay.
cuhulin

cuh...@webtv.net

Dec 5, 2005, 3:08:49 PM12/5/05
I bought a radio from Brian Hill.Very professional business practice and
a nice Blaupunkt Derby 691 Radio I bought from him.
cuhulin

leansto...@democrat.com

Dec 5, 2005, 3:44:16 PM12/5/05
So a guy gets kicked off of ebay for shilling, and Ebay lets him back?

While we are at it, firefox users should check out ebaynegs. It is a
plug in that only displays only the negative ebay feedback.

N7ZZT - Eric Oyen

Dec 5, 2005, 4:02:39 PM12/5/05
mike maghakian wrote:

Thank you for the heads up on this one.

that "person: appears to have more I.D.'s than an undercover agent for the
CIA. I was about to bid on that as I need a newer frg series radio to go
along with the old frg-7 I now have.

I can already tell that his price on the second auction (2 at the same time
for the same radio) has already gone beyond what the radio is worth in real
dollars. so, I guess its time to hunt down another.

--
DE N7ZZT
Eric Oyen

John S.

Dec 5, 2005, 4:13:38 PM12/5/05

IonSpot wrote:
> The Truth About Radio-Mart is this: The root cause of this fraud is the
> simple fact that eBay allows it to happen.
>
> Think of it: A seller sells gottahaveit1995 a radio. Ebay gets paid.
> Martyn then sells the radio as radio-mart. The same item sells again some
> three weeks later (usually for MORE money).....guess what: Ebay gets paid
> again!

You have just described hundreds of thousands of Ebay deals... Every
sellers dream is to sell their goods for more than they paid.

> What incentive is there for eBay to clean up these types of sellers?
> Answer: none. Remember Martyn's "Summer Vacation" away from ebay about two
> years ago....well, eBay did reinstate him after being caught shill
> bidding....what (again) does that say about the Bay?

Ebay reinstates lots of sellers after a probation...so what.

> Ebay is only as honest as the individual seller is honest. It can be as
> corrupt as any seller wants it to be, within eBay's broad sellers rules.

Ebay can't police the quality of goods sold...that's up to the buyer
and seller to figure out. Ebay is first and foremost a broker. If
something is illegal, violates property rights, is dangerous or is on a
list of banned goods then they sometimes jump in.

> We are the real dopes, selling Mr. Martyn all of our stuff and then bidding
> it up when we know full well that it's trash. Take a look at some the
> "mint" equipment he sells...you can see the knicks and rust on the cabinets
> for heavens' sake.

I'm confused here. You know your stuff is trash and yet you sell it
anyway. And then once you have sold it to Mr. Martyn you then bid it
up???? If he's the crook you say he is then you are sounding more like
a co-conspirator......

Ebay is full of people selling worn out rusty stuff...it's up to the
seller to ask the right questions before sending in his money. Caveat
emptor is the first rule of doing business on Ebay!!

> He's been blocked as a buyer of my equipment and shall remain so, no matter
> how much he's willing to bid.

This and previous threads are beginning to sound more like whining from
a bunch of disgruntled sellers who can't compete with a high volume
dealer.

RHF

Dec 5, 2005, 8:32:21 PM12/5/05
John S - One Man's Junk - Is Another Man's Treasure ~ RHF
.
.
. .
.

John S.

Dec 5, 2005, 9:58:05 PM12/5/05

RHF wrote:
> John S - One Man's Junk - Is Another Man's Treasure ~ RHF

That's how Ebay, garage sales, auctions and estate sales work!

Brian Denley

Dec 5, 2005, 10:07:42 PM12/5/05

I have purchased items on Ebay with very good results. I have also bought
from RRS members with the same good results. Whle I'm sure I will sell
something on Ebay someday, I prefer to sell a something I bought to someone
else who will enjoy it as much as I did, or who needs a part I don't.

BTW, the flat black metal R8A knob I bought from Mike Maghakian is
outstanding!.

--
Brian Denley

D. Peter Maus

Dec 5, 2005, 10:26:04 PM12/5/05
Brian Denley wrote:

> BTW, the flat black metal R8A knob I bought from Mike Maghakian is
> outstanding!.

Damned straight. I put one on an SW-8 I bought from a member of this
newsgroup. With exceptional results.

Brian Denley

Dec 5, 2005, 11:06:24 PM12/5/05

Peter:
Did you get the flat black or the shiny one? The flat black just about
matches the Drake cabinet and other knobs.

D. Peter Maus

Dec 5, 2005, 11:52:04 PM12/5/05
Brian Denley wrote:
> D. Peter Maus wrote:
>> Brian Denley wrote:
>>

>>> BTW, the flat black metal R8A knob I bought from Mike Maghakian is
>>> outstanding!.
>>>

>> Damned straight. I put one on an SW-8 I bought from a member of this
>> newsgroup. With exceptional results.
>
> Peter:
> Did you get the flat black or the shiny one? The flat black just about
> matches the Drake cabinet and other knobs.

I went with the shiny black knob. I don't think he had flat back at
the time.

And put the metal knob from the SW-8 on my SW-2.

OregonMike

Dec 6, 2005, 3:35:42 AM12/6/05
On 5 Dec 2005 13:13:38 -0800, "John S." <hjs...@cs.com> wrote:

>You know your stuff is trash and yet you sell it
>anyway. And then once you have sold it to Mr. Martyn you then bid it
>up???? If he's the crook you say he is then you are sounding more like
>a co-conspirator......

How does this justify his actions though? Co-conspirators or not, it's
still a scam, right?

OM

John S.

Dec 6, 2005, 7:39:12 AM12/6/05

What are his actions and how are they different from other sellers on
ebay.

junius

Dec 6, 2005, 12:01:18 PM12/6/05

John S. wrote:
> You have just described hundreds of thousands of Ebay deals... Every
> sellers dream is to sell their goods for more than they paid.

Sure, that's a given. If you've read through the messages on this guy,
you'll see that the function of this sort of thread is to alert folks
to the fact that this guy is presumably an habitual liar regarding the
quality/condition of the products he sells. While other sellers might
do the same thing, there has been an established pattern noted by some
with regard to this specific seller. By alerting the rest of us to
this, the thread is serving to potentially improve knowledge on the
buyers' side. Other threads have highlighted instances of alleged
shill bidding on this guys part, even noting, for instance, that one of
his profiles had once left feedback on the other.

> Ebay can't police the quality of goods sold...that's up to the buyer
> and seller to figure out. Ebay is first and foremost a broker. If
> something is illegal, violates property rights, is dangerous or is on a
> list of banned goods then they sometimes jump in.

It's quite true that eBay can't police the quality of goods sold on
their site, that's why a thread like this serves to alleviate problems
of imperfect knowledge on the buyers' side. Since this guy allegedly
has an established way of doing business (i.e. buying mediocre goods
and then selling them as "as new" or "excellent condition"), Mike is
actually doing us a service by alerting us to the seller's practices.

> Ebay is full of people selling worn out rusty stuff...it's up to the
> seller to ask the right questions before sending in his money. Caveat
> emptor is the first rule of doing business on Ebay!!

Exactly, that's why it's useful to have threads like this in order to
alert potential buyers (at least those shortwave enthusiasts who
frequent this board regularly or occasionally) when a seller is
habitually overstating the quality of merchandise and/or possibly
manipulating the bidding (by utilizing private bidding and then
employing an alternate account to possibly drive up the price at which
an item sells).

> This and previous threads are beginning to sound more like whining from
> a bunch of disgruntled sellers who can't compete with a high volume
> dealer.

I don't see that folks are whining about not being able to compete with
this guy. It's more a case of folks noting his practices and warning
others that they might think twice or thrice before bidding on one of
his items. And that's fair enough, huh?

Junius

mi...@sushi.com

Dec 6, 2005, 12:31:21 PM12/6/05
Ebay could drop the private feedback and private bidders feature if
they gave a shit about the buyers. Ebay could provide a feature to only
look at negative feedback (i.e. firefox ebaynegs) if they were
concerned about the buyer.

There is an opening for some other company (google perhaps) to give
ebay some real competition by become a fairer market place. Remember
when ebay dropped the reserve auction feature (a real time waster for
buys and their system) but reinstated it when the sellers complained?

John S.

Dec 6, 2005, 12:51:58 PM12/6/05

junius wrote:
> John S. wrote:
> > You have just described hundreds of thousands of Ebay deals... Every
> > sellers dream is to sell their goods for more than they paid.
>
> Sure, that's a given. If you've read through the messages on this guy,
> you'll see that the function of this sort of thread is to alert folks
> to the fact that this guy is presumably an habitual liar regarding the
> quality/condition of the products he sells. While other sellers might
> do the same thing, there has been an established pattern noted by some
> with regard to this specific seller. By alerting the rest of us to
> this, the thread is serving to potentially improve knowledge on the
> buyers' side. Other threads have highlighted instances of alleged
> shill bidding on this guys part, even noting, for instance, that one of
> his profiles had once left feedback on the other.

I've been on this forum long anough to recognize that small core of
individuals who when this topic comes up all pile on with the same
litany of complaints and responses over and over. If this guy was
really that bad his rating would be so low that Ebay would drop him.

> > Ebay can't police the quality of goods sold...that's up to the buyer
> > and seller to figure out. Ebay is first and foremost a broker. If
> > something is illegal, violates property rights, is dangerous or is on a
> > list of banned goods then they sometimes jump in.
> >
> It's quite true that eBay can't police the quality of goods sold on
> their site, that's why a thread like this serves to alleviate problems
> of imperfect knowledge on the buyers' side. Since this guy allegedly
> has an established way of doing business (i.e. buying mediocre goods
> and then selling them as "as new" or "excellent condition"), Mike is
> actually doing us a service by alerting us to the seller's practices.

There are so many sellers of radios on Ebay that throw descriptives
like Mint, Minty, New Old Stock, Clean, Works Perfectly, etc., into
auctions that anyone with half an ounce of sense just completely
ignores them and asks specifics about condition. Information on Ebay
has to be treated as though it is coming from a used car dealer.

> > Ebay is full of people selling worn out rusty stuff...it's up to the
> > seller to ask the right questions before sending in his money. Caveat
> > emptor is the first rule of doing business on Ebay!!
> >
> Exactly, that's why it's useful to have threads like this in order to
> alert potential buyers (at least those shortwave enthusiasts who
> frequent this board regularly or occasionally) when a seller is
> habitually overstating the quality of merchandise and/or possibly
> manipulating the bidding (by utilizing private bidding and then
> employing an alternate account to possibly drive up the price at which
> an item sells).

I have yet to come across a seller that underdescribes his radios, and
in my experience there are very few that list the warts and wrinkles
completely. As with used car dealers, Ebay sellers are in the business
of selling.

Do you or others have recent examples of this guy using shill bidders
to inflate the auction price?

Even if the guy is using shills that is no excuse for a potential buyer
not knowing his maximum price.

> > This and previous threads are beginning to sound more like whining from
> > a bunch of disgruntled sellers who can't compete with a high volume
> > dealer.
> >
> I don't see that folks are whining about not being able to compete with
> this guy. It's more a case of folks noting his practices and warning
> others that they might think twice or thrice before bidding on one of
> his items. And that's fair enough, huh?

Given that it is essentially the same group of people climbing on the
bandwagon each time I have to think there is another agenda.

> Junius

Telamon

Dec 6, 2005, 1:14:19 PM12/6/05

"John S." <hjs...@cs.com> wrote:

> junius wrote:
> > John S. wrote:
> > > You have just described hundreds of thousands of Ebay deals...
> > > Every sellers dream is to sell their goods for more than they
> > > paid.
> >
> > Sure, that's a given. If you've read through the messages on this
> > guy, you'll see that the function of this sort of thread is to
> > alert folks to the fact that this guy is presumably an habitual
> > liar regarding the quality/condition of the products he sells.
> > While other sellers might do the same thing, there has been an
> > established pattern noted by some with regard to this specific
> > seller. By alerting the rest of us to this, the thread is serving
> > to potentially improve knowledge on the buyers' side. Other
> > threads have highlighted instances of alleged shill bidding on this
> > guys part, even noting, for instance, that one of his profiles had
> > once left feedback on the other.
>
> I've been on this forum long anough to recognize that small core of
> individuals who when this topic comes up all pile on with the same
> litany of complaints and responses over and over. If this guy was
> really that bad his rating would be so low that Ebay would drop him.

< Snip >

This thread started out with a warning about a specific auction not
vague or wide ranging complaints against this guy.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

John S.

Dec 6, 2005, 1:34:16 PM12/6/05

Copied this directly from the first post: ...and this is not the first

cuh...@webtv.net

Dec 6, 2005, 2:50:28 PM12/6/05
y'all are going to hurt Radio-mart dude's feelings if he reads this
stuff.
cuhulin

Telamon

Dec 6, 2005, 6:25:45 PM12/6/05
In article <1133894056.7...@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"John S." <hjs...@cs.com> wrote:

Yes, this is a specific example or experience dealing with this
individual not a vague complaint. Specific examples or experiences can
be learned from unlike vague or wide ranging complaints. Here is the
rest of the post:

> In article <OLmdnSmTqeH...@comcast.com>,

> "mike maghakian" <magh...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> a couple of weeks ago I listed on eBay a broken FRG-7700 receiver.
> the buyer was gottahaveit1995. it was paid for and shipped to Martyn
> Allison. today, Radio-mart has listed that identical FRG-7700,
> including the CD I made and included. he made up a story that was not
> true that he had sold this receiver in working condition and it was
> returned broken. Radio-mart also happens to be Martyn Allison. and

> this is not the first time he bought something from me under
> gottahaveit1995 and sold it two weeks later as radio-mart the
> auctions in question are: 5837723543 and 5833316809 judge for
> yourself how honest this person is and if you can ever believe
> anything he says in his auctions.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Dan Conti

Dec 6, 2005, 7:29:28 PM12/6/05

> I bought a radio from Brian Hill.Very professional business practice and
> a nice Blaupunkt Derby 691 Radio I bought from him.
> cuhulin

Who gives a rat's balls?

fcat...@msn.com

Dec 6, 2005, 8:45:08 PM12/6/05
Radios4you certainly does not fall into the same class as Radio Mart by
any stretch of the imagination. R4U runs a legitmate business with
Chinese imports and does not buy off of Ebay and resell at inflated
prices. I think this comparison of including R4U with Radio Fart is
unfair!

Frank
Tucson

Carter-K8VT

Dec 6, 2005, 9:32:20 PM12/6/05
fcat...@msn.com wrote:

> Radios4you certainly does not fall into the same class as Radio Mart by
> any stretch of the imagination. R4U runs a legitmate business with
> Chinese imports and does not buy off of Ebay and resell at inflated
> prices.

Two comments:

1) People seem to get upset that he "bought it off eBay and re-sold it
on eBay".

So what??? What if he bought it at a flea market or garage sale and then
sold it on eBay? I don't think you would know or care. Ergo, it makes no
difference *where* it came from.

2) You said "resell at inflated prices". Hey, folks...this is an
*auction*. Please show me where he is putting a gun against someone's
head and forcing them to bid.

P.S.

This is not to defend shilling (if any) or lying about the condition.
These are entirely different issues.

Unrevealed Source

Dec 6, 2005, 10:12:33 PM12/6/05
Of course many people resell radios that they buy on eBay. The issue is
lying, period. Radio-mart lies about where he gets the radios he sells, as
well as the condition. He also claims that he has aligned it, replaced
tubes, etc. when in fact he does not. The people that sold him the radio
know the truth, which is what started this thread. Most of the time he
doesn't even change the text of his listing. He's just generally a shady
character, and it's forums such as this that expose him.

"Carter-K8VT" <k8...@ameritech.net> wrote in message

m II

Dec 6, 2005, 10:44:31 PM12/6/05

The Rat?

mike

D. Peter Maus

Dec 6, 2005, 11:39:46 PM12/6/05
fcat...@msn.com wrote:
> Radios4you certainly does not fall into the same class as Radio Mart by
> any stretch of the imagination. R4U runs a legitmate business with
> Chinese imports and does not buy off of Ebay and resell at inflated
> prices.

Actually, Frank, he does. Further, he sells items as new that are
not, and has been equally as 'generous' in his descriptions. And like
Radio-Mart, he buys with one account, selling with another, and in a
couple of cases, listed an item for sale with full description before
he's received it.

More than one person in this group has experienced this through first
hand transactions. I've seen him do it, myself, through careful tracking
of his auctions when alerted by someone who was involved in a
transaction first hand.

One member here has had extensive experience with Radios4You he can
go into dramatic detail. With little difference between R4U and Radio-Mart.

Michael Lawson

Dec 7, 2005, 9:37:34 AM12/7/05

"D. Peter Maus" <DPete...@att.net> wrote in message

I don't suppose you'd be able to say what his purchasing
alias is, would you? Gottahaveit1995 is rather ubiquitous,
but I don't track R4U that much.

--Mike L.

D Peter Maus

Dec 7, 2005, 10:31:13 AM12/7/05

Mike Maghakian would be able to say more definitively than I
precisely which name belongs to whom.

One former member of the group, a former staffer at VOA who was run
off by huge volume of petty bickering a few years ago, entered into a
couple of transactions with R4U with less than optimal results. He
wouldn't have done business with R4U a second time, except he got
sandbagged by one of R4U's alternate purchase ID's.

OregonMike

Dec 9, 2005, 6:29:04 AM12/9/05
On 6 Dec 2005 04:39:12 -0800, "John S." <hjs...@cs.com> wrote:

>What are his actions and how are they different from other sellers on
>ebay.

Doesn't he misrepresent most the stuff he auctions as much higher
quality than it really is ? Bare in mind, this isn't my arguement.

OM

OregonMike

Dec 9, 2005, 6:34:46 AM12/9/05
I wouldn't worry about these guys trying to argue your points, junius.
They seem to be doing it just for the sake of arguing. Your points are
spot on and the guy's a proven crook.

OM

OregonMike

Dec 9, 2005, 6:38:19 AM12/9/05
I've seen many of these look and compare threads and it's pretty
straight forward that the guy's a crook and a liar. I'm wondering if
John has a vested interest in defending him specifically or just loves
to debate.

OM

OregonMike

Dec 9, 2005, 6:42:19 AM12/9/05
On 6 Dec 2005 09:31:21 -0800, mi...@sushi.com wrote:

>Ebay could drop the private feedback and private bidders feature if
>they gave a shit about the buyers. Ebay could provide a feature to only
>look at negative feedback (i.e. firefox ebaynegs) if they were
>concerned about the buyer.

I avoid e-bay like the plague. It's a proven sellers' market and e-bay
does a joke of a job policing the sellers than continue to put money
in their pockets. Private feedback & bids are a complete joke and I'd
never think twice about bidding in such a fashion.

>There is an opening for some other company (google perhaps) to give
>ebay some real competition by become a fairer market place. Remember
>when ebay dropped the reserve auction feature (a real time waster for
>buys and their system) but reinstated it when the sellers complained?

I wish this would happen. e-bay needs a wake up call from some real
competition, although google would be hard pressed to lure the sellers
away w/ offering a less seller-centric auctioning environment.

OM

OregonMike

Dec 9, 2005, 6:46:42 AM12/9/05
On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 02:32:20 GMT, Carter-K8VT <k8...@ameritech.net>
wrote:

>1) People seem to get upset that he "bought it off eBay and re-sold it
>on eBay".
>
>So what??? What if he bought it at a flea market or garage sale and then
>sold it on eBay? I don't think you would know or care. Ergo, it makes no
>difference *where* it came from.

I would say you're missing the main point. The complaints seem to be
more directed to out right lying about the quality of the product. The
fact it's an e-bay bought "piss poor quality" labeled product one
dayby seller #1, then bought/resold by somebody as "mint condition"
the next day by seller #2 is the problem. Well, along with his
shilling which was proven in the past earning him a three month ban,
right ?.

OregonMike

Dec 9, 2005, 6:49:19 AM12/9/05
On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 22:12:33 -0500, "Unrevealed Source"
<Unreveal...@nospam.net> wrote:

>Of course many people resell radios that they buy on eBay. The issue is
>lying, period. Radio-mart lies about where he gets the radios he sells, as
>well as the condition. He also claims that he has aligned it, replaced
>tubes, etc. when in fact he does not. The people that sold him the radio
>know the truth, which is what started this thread. Most of the time he
>doesn't even change the text of his listing. He's just generally a shady
>character, and it's forums such as this that expose him.

Well put.

OM

John S.

Dec 9, 2005, 10:21:17 AM12/9/05

I don't know if he does or not, and I'm beginning to think that most of
those complaining on this forum really don't know either.

But even if he is overdescribing his radios, he has plenty of company.
Most of us realize that sellers by their self-interest tend to
emphasize the positive and minimize the negative. Like most on this
forum I troll the Ebay auctions. If you look closely at the pictures
and ask a few pointed questions you quickly discover that the mint,
minty, rarely used, almost perfect, super clean, pristine radio has
plenty of warts. Most used radios are used.

Given the number of sellers that overdescribe their radios on Ebay I'm
at a complete loss as to why this one guy attracts the unending
attention of our resident mutual complaint society.

dxAce

Dec 9, 2005, 11:57:14 AM12/9/05

"John S." wrote:

Well, the guy does lie his ass off on a regular basis.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

cuh...@webtv.net

Dec 9, 2005, 12:34:26 PM12/9/05
Come to think about it,I did once buy something from a guy in Ohio who
had some Elvis Presley notebooks for sale,the kind of notebooks you jot
notes in.The married Irish woman in England had seen them on eBay and
she asked me to buy one of the notebooks for her.I emailed the guy in
Ohio (he had provided his name and email address and snail mail address
at eBay) I bought one of the notebooks from him and I snail mailed it to
her.It was about five years ago.
cuhulin

OregonMike

Dec 11, 2005, 8:26:33 AM12/11/05
On 9 Dec 2005 07:21:17 -0800, "John S." <hjs...@cs.com> wrote:

>Given the number of sellers that overdescribe their radios on Ebay I'm
>at a complete loss as to why this one guy attracts the unending
>attention of our resident mutual complaint society.

I'd guess he's quite obsessive with the overstating a products quality
or just outright lies to merit such attention. As you remarked, why is
he being singled out when e-bay is ridden with sellers overstating
their product's quality.

OM

RHF

Dec 11, 2005, 12:52:43 PM12/11/05
OM,

This is a Shortwave Radio newsgroup and some say
with good reason; that Radio-Mart is the Premiere
'miss' Seller of overstated Shortwave Radios on eBay.

There-in-lays the Reason for the Famous {Infamous} eBay
Seller Radio-Mart being a Topic-of-Discussion here.

yes it is that simple ~ RHF
.
.
. .