GE/Ericson trunking scanners?

Anon

Nov 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/10/97

Perhaps I missed a post on this subject, but I was curious if anyone makes
a scanner capable of following trunked 800 Mhz channels that use the
GE/Ericson radio system, or has anyone heard of anyone coming out with such
a scanner.
The agencies that I want to listen to in my area use the GE/Ericson system
and even though I can monitor them (at least for now, barring digital) I
would like a scanner that is angled towards the GE system as other's are
towards Motorola.
Thanks for any information given.

Joseph Cardani

Nov 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/10/97

At this time there are no commercially available programs nor scanners
that can track GE/Ericsson EDACS trunking.

I suggest that anyone that would like this to happen should call
various scanner manufacturers (ie Uniden) and request they develop a
trunk tracker to acomplish this. If enough call, the EDACS trunk
tracker will become a reality :-)

Joe

Jeff

Nov 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/10/97
Stay tuned NEXT year...

MC

Nov 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/12/97

Whats that mean?

Mark Bryant <m...@zim.bms.com> wrote in article
<346889...@zim.bms.com>...
> Jeff wrote:
> >
> > Stay tuned NEXT year...
>
> OK, spill your guts. Ya know something we don't?
>
> --
> Mark

Carl Hodder

Nov 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/12/97

Anon (ami...@gte.net) wrote:
: Perhaps I missed a post on this subject, but I was curious if anyone makes
: a scanner capable of following trunked 800 Mhz channels that use the
: GE/Ericson radio system, or has anyone heard of anyone coming out with such
: a scanner.
: The agencies that I want to listen to in my area use the GE/Ericson system
: and even though I can monitor them (at least for now, barring digital) I
: would like a scanner that is angled towards the GE system as other's are
: towards Motorola.
: Thanks for any information given.

The CCC-ScanSys for the Realistic PRO-2006 and 2035 model
has a "AUTOMATIC CONTROL OF TRUNKED GROUPS". While it
does not decode any trunked signals it does use a smart
way of finnding out which channel is the data channel and
locking it. If the data channel changes, it automatically
changes it, etc. The software is specially written to use
while monitoring trunked systems.

It should work with any trunked system.

If you like more info please email dan...@ix.netcom.com
for more information.

TandKMoran

Nov 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/18/97

In article <64dc75$qap$1...@coranto.ucs.mun.ca>,
sba...@InfoNET.st-johns.nf.ca (Carl Hodder) writes:

>The CCC-ScanSys for the Realistic PRO-2006 and 2035 model
>has a "AUTOMATIC CONTROL OF TRUNKED GROUPS". While it
>does not decode any trunked signals it does use a smart
>way of finnding out which channel is the data channel and
>locking it. If the data channel changes, it automatically
>changes it, etc. The software is specially written to use
>while monitoring trunked systems.
>
>It should work with any trunked system.

Sounds like a cool mod. However, as all too many of us are all too well
aware, the problem with the EDACS trunked systems is not so much the
control channel data, (which is usually changed once a day in EDACS
systems), but the annoying "anti-scanner" tones at the end of each and
every transmission. When GE first started setting up these systems the
"tones" consisted of the most horrible rendition of the "G.E. - We Bring
Good Things To Life!" theme music ditty, played in loud, obnoxious,
off-key, square wave tones, if you can imagine that. I first heard those
mellow tones several years ago while visiting Corpus Christi, Texas.
(Scanning between all those steak tacos, I gained 10 Lbs on that trip!).
We were staying at the Bayfront Marriot, and from my 18th floor room I
found I could beat the system by listening to the mobile inputs.

It seems the theme song got to be a little to controversial, advertising
as they were on public safety frequencies, so in many areas EDACS now plays
5 little annoying beeps at the end of each transmission. While you are
still hungup on those beeps the conversation in progress has moved to a new
frequency pair and is already continuing. And yes, the frequency changes
each and every time somone in a talk group unkeys their radio.

The Illinois State Police in the Chicago area is now using an EDACS
system. I had a ScannerMaster anti-edacs board in my PRO-2004 before it
died (the radio, not the board). It worked great. It would not follow talk
groups, but simply sent the scanner back to scan when it encountered one of
those beeps. You still had to lockout the control channel daily as it
rotated around and un-lock yesterday's. I can't imagine how cool it would
be able to actually be able to follow the talk groups on this system. I
have heard of people getting GE trunking handhelds and hacking the
programming to get it to follow groups as a receiver, but right now, that's
the only way and you need access to the programming software, cables,
codes, etc.

The simple fact that edacs has "anti-scanner tones" may serve as a
indicator of the political difficulties ahead for any manufacturer wishing
to build an edacs trunk-tracker scanner. But then I remember Motorola's
"The Eavesdroppers" ad they ran promoting the non-existant security of
their trunked system to public safety users. (Nothing like an educated
consumer...). It appears Uniden was able to assuage Motorola's fears by
blocking unit-unit calls and phone patches on the trunk-trackers. You guys
who bought those things DO realize that you are not tracking those types of
calls while folks with conventional scanners are still hearing them, don't
you??? Most EDACS systems are digital ready for future expansion. The ISP's
system is also DVP/DES capable and it does get used from time to time. The
ISP system also includes conventional repeaters on the NIPSPAC 800 Mhz
Mutual Aid Channels. If you have any public safety trunked 800 Mhz systems
anywhere is your local area, especially those employing the
866.0125-868.9875 freq range you should have these in your scan bank, as
chances are, someone in your area has the capability of using them:

866.0125, 866.5125, 867.0125, 867.5125, 868.0125

Happy Scanning & visit the CARMA Web Page:

http://www.theramp.net/shabec/carma.htm