HCJB's ANDEAN HERALD 95/9

ENGLISH_DEPARTMENT

Jul 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/6/95
>>>> HCJB's ANDEAN HERALD 95/9 <<<<

Welcome to the ANDEAN HERALD, the program news from HCJB's
English Language Service being released from Quito, Ecuador,
6 July 1995.

Our Verse for the Week:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ Anyone who claims to be in the light, but hates his +
+ brother is still in the darkness. 1 John 1:9 +

Friday, July 7:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Join Colin Lowther for ONLINE today as the boot's on the other
foot when we discover who made the very rugby boots, we
celebrate the 25th anniversary of a UK wildlife park, and did
you know someone is re-writing the music for Verdi's grand opera
'Aida'? He's a pop star, and you'll find out his name if you
tune in today! Send your comments about the programme to:
onl...@hcjbuk.gn.apc.org

STUDIO NINE today is TRAVEL LATIN AMERICA with hostess Fiona
Cline on a special program on transportation. Topics are
traveling Latin America by bus and the dangerous Combi-Vans in
Peru.

On MUSICA DEL ECUADOR, host Jorge Zambrano presents songs from
his own family. Come along with Jorge Zambrano and the Zambrano
family for half an hour of Ecuadorian music.

Saturday, July 8:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DX PARTYLINE has a full line-up today which includes an
interview with Christer Brunstrom, a visiting Swedish DXer here
in Ecuador, ODXA Perspectives, details on the 1996 ODXA
Convention, the EDXC report, and a lot of DX news. Richard and
Lisa McVicar are your DX hosts, today on DX PARTYLINE!

SOLSTICE is hosted by 20 year old Ashley Field and 18 year old
Hayley Coates. Unlawful vandalism and graffiti is often seen in
our cities, including on public transport. Today on SOLSTICE,
we meet Noel Buchanan. His life is built on reaching out to
perpetrators of these crimes in Melbourne Australia, helping
them to get on top of difficult personal issues.

MORNING IN THE MOUNTAINS today is a fun wake-up programme filled
with great music, greetings and conversation, as well as some
challenging devotional pieces. On today's program, we listen to
an interview with Tonny Tamayo. Who is he? Join Tania Manners
and Melanie DeJanon today to find out.

It's Lisa, Tania, Chuck and Ken who gather around the control
board to eat Lisa's famous banana-chocolate chip cup cakes and
read listeners' letters. Tania has some thoughts about "letting
go,", there is good music and a lot of fun. Join us for MUSICAL
MAILBAG today!

How can the people of this old troubled world make it if
would-be leaders aren't even sure the effort is worth it? An
international organization is using the phrase, "Operation
Determined Effort." Do you see that happening? Let's check on
it together with Paul Bell today on WHAT IN THE WORLD.

Sunday, July 9:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Music is highlighted in today's SALUDOS AMIGOS on HCJB. In
response to a question from a listener, host Ken MacHarg plays
two versions of HCJB's theme song, "Great is Thy Faithfulness",
plus the various sounders and use of that theme on HCJB. In
addition, Ken talks about the pursuit of happiness and plays a
happiness medley by Suzanne Johnson. Listener letters today on
SALUDOS AMIGOS come from England, Canada, the USA and Australia.

On HCJB TODAY, Jim Allen talks with former Quito staff member
and current Australian representative, Charles Gray. We think
you'll enjoy listening in as this exuberant, fun person shares
about his travels in the land down under representing HCJB.

A conspiracy to kill a perceived political opponent is afoot in
the scenes we view on GLORIOUS INTENTIONS today, hosted by Paul
Bell. Who is at fault? You get to sift the evidence, decide
for yourself, and view a glad result out of all the grief.

On MOUNTAIN MEDITATIONS, Jim Allen takes a look at "Imitating
Christ in our Organizational Relationships". We will seek to
answer the question, "How should a Christian behave in his or
her work when the boss is unfair, or things are not as one would
want them to be?"

Monday, July 10:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Horace Easterling and Mark Irwin are your hosts on YOU SHOULD
KNOW as they focus in on the topic of AIDS.

We visit to Latin American countries on STUDIO NINE today: in
Guatemala, we'll be looking at the Mayan Sites, and in Brazil,
we learn about the restriction of colonial architecture.

Join Chuck Swindoll on today for INSIGHT FOR LIVING. The topic
for the programs on Monday and Tuesday is "Joyful Reunion -
Insightful Response".

Tuesday, July 11:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today on BLUES RAGS AND ALL THAT JAZZ, Bill Rapley takes a look
at the life, times and music of self-styled 'King of Jazz' and
world's greatest hot tune writer - Jelly Roll Morton. Join Bill
for a feast of Jelly Roll's music. You can contact Bill direct
at: bi...@hcjbuk.gn.apc.org

On STUDIO NINE's history feature today, host Curt Cole brings a
report on blacks in South America. And there is information
about trouble in Vilcabamba, the city of long life.

On today's edition of "The Computer Corner" on EL MUNDO FUTURO,
we will hear of hardware upgrades to improve system performance;
about Hewlett-Packard, yesterday and today; and how to improve
customer service by linking phone communications with computer
information systems. Other topics on our journey of The Future
World of science and technology include gene research linked to
colon cancer, the discovery of "sprites" over storms outside the
United States, how nature lends a hand on paint research, and,
on "Imagine That", why your toast always lands butter side down
when it falls! Allen Graham hosts today's EL MUNDO FUTURO.

HCJB IS MUCH MORE THAN A VOICE IN ENGLISH

HCJB, "The Voice of the Andes", is also known as "La Voz de los
Andes", "Die Stimme der Anden", and many others.

You see, HCJB broadcasts from Quito, Ecuador in a number of
different languages, not just in English. These languages
include:

Arabic Japanese Russian
Czech Kikongo Spanish
French Nordic Tajik
Georgian Portuguese Uzbek
German Quichua

An International Program Schedule listing the broadcasts and
frequencies for each of these languages is available. Should
you desire a copy, please contact us here at the English
Language Service. Our Internet address is noted below.

Some of these language services also have their program
schedules available to send via the Internet. Again, if you
want more information, please let us know here at the English
Language Service. We'll be more than happy to help!

Thanks for listening to the Voice of the Andes. If at any time
you wish to discontinue receiving the HERALD, please just let us
know. We hope you find this information beneficial, but if not,
we don't want you to be burdened by it. Remember, too, we are
open to suggestions and comments about what can be included and
not included in these updates. Please let us know what will you
serve most.

Also, if you are reading this from one of the computer bulletin
board services, may we remind you that we will be more than
happy to mail you the twice weekly files directly to your eMAIL
mailbox. Just drop us a note here at the English mailbox, and
we'll happily add you to our listener mailing list!

ENGLISH FREQUENCY SCHEDULE : Effective 9 May 1995 at 1600 UTC
THE AMERICAS: 0030-0500 UTC on 9745 kHz eastern North America
0500-0700 UTC on 9745 kHz western North America
1100-1500 UTC on 12005 kHz to The Caribbean
1130-1430 UTC on 15115 kHz to North America
1130-1600 UTC on 15115 kHz to South America
1330-2100 UTC on 6080 kHz to the Andean Region

EUROPE: 0700-0830 UTC on 11615 kHz
1700-2000 UTC on 15490 kHz

SOUTH PACIFIC: 0700-1130 UTC on 6135 kHz

GENERAL NOTES: All English releases are also carried on 21455
kHz USB in 13 meters. English is also broadcast on the USB
frequency of 15540 kHz in 19 meters at the following times:
0030-0500, 0700-0930, 1000-1130, 1200-1600, and 1800-1830 UTC.

FOR A COMPLETE LISTING OF PROGRAMS AND FREQUENCIES, PLEASE WRITE
AND ASK. IF YOU WISH A PRINTED COPY OF THE SCHEDULE, PLEASE
INDICATE SUCH IN YOUR LETTER AND BE SURE TO INCLUDE YOUR MAILING
ADDRESS. THANK YOU!

TO CONTACT HCJB'S ENGLISH LANGUAGE SERVICE, YOU MAY...

...write to us at English Language Service
Radio HCJB
Casilla 17-17-691
Quito, Ecuador
South America
...or by INTERNET at ENG...@MHS.HCJB.COM.EC
...or by FAX at 593-2-447-263
...or by phone at 593-2-466-808 Ext. 441

HCJB
The Voice of the Andes
Heralding Christ Jesus' Blessings
from Quito, Ecuador since December 25, 1931

* End of the ANDEAN HERALD from the English Language Service.