Newsgroup servers?

Dee Flint

Oct 2, 2008, 1:46:25 PM10/2/08
Can anyone recommend a free newsgroup server? Comcast just sent out an
email that they are discontinuing newsgroup access effective October 25th.

Rich Greenberg

Oct 2, 2008, 3:49:37 PM10/2/08
In article <zLudnUQmoMVAlXjV...@comcast.com>,

Dee Flint <deefl...@comcast.net> wrote:
>Can anyone recommend a free newsgroup server? Comcast just sent out an
>email that they are discontinuing newsgroup access effective October 25th.

Get a shell account at Panix.com. They have a very good news server.

$100. a year, includes email. www.panix.com

You can do email and news by logging into your shell account and using
unix tools or remotely with NNTP and IMAP access.

--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
Canines:Val, Red, Shasta & Casey (RIP), Red & Zero, Siberians Owner:Chinook-L

Richard Crowley

Oct 2, 2008, 4:21:22 PM10/2/08
"Dee Flint" wrote ...

> Can anyone recommend a free newsgroup server? Comcast just sent out an
> email that they are discontinuing newsgroup access effective October 25th.

Google will give you an ample list of free news servers.

Many people in other newsgroups faced with the same
situation are going over to news.individual.net which is
actually run by the Free University in Berlin (not that the
location makes any difference on the worldwide network).

It costs 10 Euros per year which amounts to slightly more
than 1 USD per month. They run a good operation and I
have not heard any complaints about it. I have them auto
charge my plastic every year and I don't even have to
think about it. Highly recommended.

Phil Kane

Oct 2, 2008, 5:18:29 PM10/2/08
On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 13:46:25 EDT, "Dee Flint" <deefl...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Can anyone recommend a free newsgroup server? Comcast just sent out an
>email that they are discontinuing newsgroup access effective October 25th.

They haven't sent one to me...... :-)
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

>From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest
Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

e-mail: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net

Dee Flint

Oct 2, 2008, 6:27:02 PM10/2/08
Right now I am unemployed. I need to keep the internet for my job hunting
but $100 is not reasonable to spend at this time for newsgroups.

Dee, N8UZE

"Rich Greenberg" <ric...@panix.com> wrote in message

Dee Flint

Oct 2, 2008, 6:32:44 PM10/2/08

"Phil Kane" <Phil...@nov.shmovz.ka.pop> wrote in message

Here's the URL for the web page: http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

Maybe they haven't gotten to the letter K in sending out the notice or maybe
they are doing it by service areas.

Dee, N8UZE

Dee Flint

Oct 2, 2008, 6:34:26 PM10/2/08

"Richard Crowley" <rcro...@xp7rt.net> wrote in message

I'll check out the one you suggest. I tried google but everything listed
seemed to have a charge attached to it.

It needs to be very cheap or free as I'm unemployed at this time.

Dee, N8UZE

Howard Lester

Oct 2, 2008, 8:01:33 PM10/2/08
"Dee Flint" wrote

> I'll check out the one you suggest. I tried google but everything listed
> seemed to have a charge attached to it.
>
> It needs to be very cheap or free as I'm unemployed at this time.

Dee, how about this one for $29?

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/

Patty Winter

Oct 2, 2008, 8:46:35 PM10/2/08

In article <2ieae4t4vu4i03drg...@4ax.com>,

Phil Kane <Phil...@nov.shmovz.ka.pop> wrote:

>On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 13:46:25 EDT, "Dee Flint" <deefl...@comcast.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Can anyone recommend a free newsgroup server? Comcast just sent out an
>>email that they are discontinuing newsgroup access effective October 25th.
>
>They haven't sent one to me...... :-)

Since you're posting through Panix, Comcast's actions won't
affect you anyway, Phil. Same with me. I don't recall whether
I got a notice from them or read about it in some of my habitual
Usenet groups a couple of weeks ago, but I knew it didn't affect
me anyway, because I only use my Comcast cable modem to access
my *real* ISP. :-)

Patty N6BIS

Pat Cook

Oct 2, 2008, 8:47:31 PM10/2/08
Hi everyone:

"Dee Flint" <deefl...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Can anyone recommend a free newsgroup server? Comcast just sent out an
> email that they are discontinuing newsgroup access effective October 25th.

Try http://www.open-news-network.org/ You may have to run it through
Google's Translator site to get it to where you can read it properly, but
they are the only ones I know offering free USENET access.

Good Luck.

Cheers & 73 :D

Pat Cook, KB0OXD
Denver, Colorado
**NEW!!**Owner/Sysop - KB0OXD-L (EchoLink Node No. 39953) **NEW!!**
Website - http://www.qsl.net/kb0oxd/
EchoLink Page - http://www.qsl.net/kb0oxd/echolink/

Dave Platt

Oct 3, 2008, 12:14:10 AM10/3/08
In article <gc38ka$436$1...@reader1.panix.com>,

Rich Greenberg <ric...@panix.com> wrote:
>In article <zLudnUQmoMVAlXjV...@comcast.com>,
>Dee Flint <deefl...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>Can anyone recommend a free newsgroup server? Comcast just sent out an
>>email that they are discontinuing newsgroup access effective October 25th.
>
>Get a shell account at Panix.com. They have a very good news server.
>
>$100. a year, includes email. www.panix.com

Or, for USENET access only, consider news.individual.net - ten euros
per year.

The site "aioe.org" has a publicly-accessible USENET server - free to
use, and posting is allowed. Unfortunately, The Tragedy of the
Commons applies here - because the server is free, open, and (by
deliberate intent) doesn't authenticate its users, it has become a
server-of-choice for abusive posters and (I think) spammers, and quite
a lot of sites and individuals are now just dropping all aioe.org
articles on the floor.

--
Dave Platt <dpl...@radagast.org> AE6EO

Rich Greenberg

Oct 3, 2008, 12:14:23 AM10/3/08
In article <5-CdnRbcb8Q213jV...@comcast.com>,

Dee Flint <deefl...@comcast.net> wrote:
>Right now I am unemployed. I need to keep the internet for my job hunting
>but $100 is not reasonable to spend at this time for newsgroups.
>
>Dee, N8UZE

Can you afford $10/month? Thats the basic rate at Panix, if you pay a
year at a time, you get a $20 discount.

D. Stussy

Oct 3, 2008, 9:34:34 AM10/3/08
"Howard Lester" <heyl...@dakotacom.net> wrote in message

That's a program, not a content delivery service.

D. Stussy

Oct 3, 2008, 9:34:55 AM10/3/08
"Pat Cook" <pcha...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Hi everyone:
> "Dee Flint" <deefl...@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Can anyone recommend a free newsgroup server? Comcast just sent out an
> > email that they are discontinuing newsgroup access effective October
25th.

> Try http://www.open-news-network.org/ You may have to run it through
> Google's Translator site to get it to where you can read it properly, but
> they are the only ones I know offering free USENET access.

Or try the link at the bottom of the page that says "English"!

Dick Grady AC7EL

Oct 3, 2008, 2:42:22 PM10/3/08

Forte offers Agent Premium Newsgroups (APN).
http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php
It's basically a front-end to Easynews.

12 GBytes $2.95 / month
25 GBytes $5.95 / month
70 GBytes $9.95 / month
Unlimited $14.95 / month

I don't download many binaries, so I'm happy with the 12 GBytes level.

73 de Dick, AC7EL

D. Stussy

Oct 3, 2008, 4:55:13 PM10/3/08
"Dick Grady AC7EL" <r...@richbonnie.com> wrote in message

OK, but the URL you gave was to the program. The URL for the service is
http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php and does NOT appear on the program's
page.

Jeffrey D Angus

Oct 3, 2008, 7:23:11 PM10/3/08
Basic usenet news service from http://www.newsguy.com/overview.htm
is $7.95 per month. It's $39.95 per year if you pay up front.

Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

Steve Bonine

Oct 3, 2008, 11:02:54 PM10/3/08
Rich Greenberg wrote:
> In article <5-CdnRbcb8Q213jV...@comcast.com>,
> Dee Flint <deefl...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> Right now I am unemployed. I need to keep the internet for my job hunting
>> but $100 is not reasonable to spend at this time for newsgroups.
>>
>> Dee, N8UZE
>
> Can you afford $10/month? Thats the basic rate at Panix, if you pay a
> year at a time, you get a $20 discount.

Panix is a fine service, but it's a full-service Internet facility.
Service for newsgroups only is available for much less cost, and that's
all that Comcast is dropping so why pay for more?

My preference, as others have put forward, is individual.net. I don't
like the free services for the reasons already mentioned. I find
individual.net a reasonable compromise between the free services that
are worth what you pay and the more expensive products that provide
additional function beyond what I need. If you're just looking for a
good provider for Usenet access, it fits the bill nicely.

Another alternative that I don't think anyone has mentioned is access to
newsgroups via the Google interface. Being able to use a real news
reader is well worth 10 Euros per year to me.

73, Steve KB9X

Phil Kane

Oct 4, 2008, 2:13:19 AM10/4/08

I have been using Forte Agent for quite a while. It is only a
newsreader and requires an external news service. Their "in house"
service, APM, runs about $15 per month.

For what I pay Comcast for internet access, an extra $15 a month is
not that expensive. My e-mail service costs about that much, if not
more.

It's just the principle of the thing, an "entitlement" so to speak.

Relevance to ham radio: it's how I keep in contact with r.r.a.m news,
and other hams on the two other groups, one hobby, one professional.

Phil Kane

Oct 4, 2008, 2:24:50 AM10/4/08
On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 20:46:35 EDT, Patty Winter <pat...@wintertime.com>
wrote:

>Since you're posting through Panix, Comcast's actions won't
>affect you anyway, Phil. Same with me. I don't recall whether
>I got a notice from them or read about it in some of my habitual
>Usenet groups a couple of weeks ago, but I knew it didn't affect
>me anyway, because I only use my Comcast cable modem to access
>my *real* ISP. :-)

The group is hosted on panix. My domain and mail server is on NetSol,
but my news server = the one I connect to - is newsgroups.comcast.net.
If this affects me - I will check with Comcast next week - I will have
to find another news service - perhaps NetSol has one or use the one
that Forte Agent works with.

Perhaps, to paraphrase the unforgettable Dr. C.T. Yang of MIT some 55
years ago - "THIS Comcast not the same as THAT Comcast....I only did
that to con-fuse you..."

Phil Kane

Oct 4, 2008, 2:29:14 AM10/4/08
On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 16:55:13 EDT, "D. Stussy" <sp...@bde-arc.ampr.org>
wrote:

>OK, but the URL you gave was to the program. The URL for the service is

>http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php and does NOT appear on the program's
>page.

Hmmmm...I got to the APN site through a link on the Forte Agent site.

Steve Bonine

Oct 4, 2008, 6:08:45 AM10/4/08
Phil Kane wrote:

> It's just the principle of the thing, an "entitlement" so to speak.

I have read that at least one Comcast customer called the company and
told them that Usenet access represented a $5 per month value, and they
(Comcast) reduced his monthly charge by $5. That may be totally false,
it may depend on the specific customer-service person that was involved,
or it might be a company policy ("if the customer complains, credit them
with $5 per month"). I suppose it can't hurt to ask.

The bottom line is that ISPs have noticed that only a small percentage
of their customers access Usenet these days. Many of them decided that
outsourcing to companies like Giganews was more cost effective than
running their own in-house servers; I think Comcast did that some time
ago. Now they're concluding that they won't lose customers by simply
dropping the service altogether, which is even cheaper than outsourcing
it. The recent flap about kiddie porn in Usenet gave some of them a
convenient excuse.

It's really not a big deal to find a low-cost provider and switch over
to them. Individual.net makes it very easy to sign up, and the
configuration in the news reader is straightforward. But yeah, the
principle of the thing does grate a bit.

Times change.

PS: In the spirit of "you're a lawyer, so I'm going to pick nits,"

Phil Kane wrote:

> The group is hosted on panix.

The group is _moderated_ on Panix. It's not _hosted_ anywhere in
particular; from the point of view of each user it's hosted on whatever
news server they're using. Articles are injected at Panix, which is why
the path: line indicates that that's where they're coming from.

73, Steve KB9X

helm...@noneofyourbusiness.net

Oct 4, 2008, 11:07:11 AM10/4/08
On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 02:29:14 EDT, Phil Kane
<Phil...@nov.shmovz.ka.pop> wrote:

>On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 16:55:13 EDT, "D. Stussy" <sp...@bde-arc.ampr.org>
>wrote:
>
>>OK, but the URL you gave was to the program. The URL for the service is
>>http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php and does NOT appear on the program's
>>page.
>
>Hmmmm...I got to the APN site through a link on the Forte Agent site.

Thats what I use.

Patty Winter

Oct 4, 2008, 11:11:25 AM10/4/08

In article <3f2ee4pu3jcholh7c...@4ax.com>,

Phil Kane <Phil...@nov.shmovz.ka.pop> wrote:
>On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 20:46:35 EDT, Patty Winter <pat...@wintertime.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Since you're posting through Panix, Comcast's actions won't
>>affect you anyway, Phil. Same with me.
>
>The group is hosted on panix. My domain and mail server is on NetSol,
>but my news server = the one I connect to - is newsgroups.comcast.net.

Sorry, Phil, I forgot that this was a moderated group and thus
all postings appear to come from Panix. In that case, you will
need to find yourself a new Usenet provider.

Patty

Ivor Jones

Oct 4, 2008, 7:47:17 PM10/4/08
In news:jNqdnTdfT9dJQXvV...@deskmedia.com,
Steve Bonine <s...@pobox.com> typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:

[snip]

: Another alternative that I don't think anyone has mentioned is access

: to newsgroups via the Google interface. Being able to use a real news
: reader is well worth 10 Euros per year to me.
:
: 73, Steve KB9X

Hmm. Personally, I wouldn't recommend Google for newsgroup access. It's
clunky to use and seems (from the posts of those I've seen in other
groups) to encourage top posting and not snipping repeated text, both of
which are personal dislikes of mine.

I also use individual.net and it fits the bill nicely for me.

73 Ivor G6URP

Steve Bonine

Oct 5, 2008, 5:54:21 AM10/5/08
Ivor Jones wrote:

> Hmm. Personally, I wouldn't recommend Google for newsgroup access. It's
> clunky to use and seems (from the posts of those I've seen in other
> groups) to encourage top posting and not snipping repeated text, both of
> which are personal dislikes of mine.

King of like Outlook, eh? <grin>

Seriously, it's a matter of personal taste. Most people who have used a
real news reader hold Google in contempt as a way to access Usenet, but
some folks like the interface . . . just like some folks love to work
contests and other folks think they're a plague.

Message has been deleted

Pat Cook

Oct 5, 2008, 9:22:56 AM10/5/08
"Pat Cook" <pcha...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone:
>
> "Dee Flint" <deefl...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Can anyone recommend a free newsgroup server? Comcast just sent out an
>> email that they are discontinuing newsgroup access effective October
>> 25th.
>
> Try http://www.open-news-network.org/ You may have to run it through
> Google's Translator site to get it to where you can read it properly, but
> they are the only ones I know offering free USENET access.

Another one that's being talked about on the alt.online-service.comcast
newsgroup is Motzarella. The website to this service is @
http://www.motzarella.org/

Dee Flint

Oct 5, 2008, 4:37:28 PM10/5/08

> "Pat Cook" <pcha...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi everyone:
>>
>> "Dee Flint" <deefl...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Can anyone recommend a free newsgroup server? Comcast just sent out an
>>> email that they are discontinuing newsgroup access effective October
>>> 25th.
>>
>> Try http://www.open-news-network.org/ You may have to run it through
>> Google's Translator site to get it to where you can read it properly, but
>> they are the only ones I know offering free USENET access.
>
> Another one that's being talked about on the alt.online-service.comcast
> newsgroup is Motzarella. The website to this service is @
> http://www.motzarella.org/

Okay I will see how this one works out. I just hope Comcast reduces their
cost but I doubt that they will. I'll certainly make a fuss about it if
they don't.

Dee, N8UZE