Restocking Fee

wco...@dccc.edu

Apr 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/3/95

The reason Ham radio dealers charge a restocking fee is because no one
wants to buy an open box. The restocking fee is how much they discount
the equipment you returned in order to move it.
Tnx & 73
Bill
N3OGH

Brian Carling

Apr 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/5/95
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.misc
From: brian....@acenet.com

WC>The reason Ham radio dealers charge a restocking fee is because no one
WC>wants to buy an open box. The restocking fee is how much they discount
WC>the equipment you returned in order to move it.
WC>Tnx & 73
WC>Bill
WC>N3OGH

We knew that Bill. The topic at hand refers to an original message
in this thread where a ham was charged a large restocking fee for
returning a piece of "demo" gear. The box was already opened, and he
did nothing to change the radio.

brian....@acenet.com
AF4K
---
ş SLMR 2.1a ş I've told you a million times not to exaggerate!

Pete Borders

Apr 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/5/95
In <2a6.98...@acenet.com>, brian....@acenet.com (Brian Carling) writes:
>Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.misc
>From: brian....@acenet.com
>
>WC>The reason Ham radio dealers charge a restocking fee is because no one
>WC>wants to buy an open box. The restocking fee is how much they discount
>WC>the equipment you returned in order to move it.
>WC>Tnx & 73
>WC>Bill
>WC>N3OGH

If you think the restocking fee is to cover discounts to sell returned equipment
you are being naive. The restocking fee is a penalty to discourage returns from
customers. Think about it, all these department stores and computer shops and
other large stores that take returns don't just throw out the returned items, they
"reshop" them, which is a sellers term for returning them to the shelves. There
is no discount and no notice that the item is not "new". Many computer stores,
and other stores I am sure, shrink wrap the items so that they look even more
like "new" items. Any time you buy from ANY major store you have a chance of
buying a returned item, the only real exceptions are for safety or security reasons.
Computer stores don't take back software since they think you already copied it
and department stores don't take back underware for health reasons.

Pete

Peter W. Borders - WB4TKA
Network Administrator
Tidewater Community College