Best dual-band HT antenna

Ray Wade

Jun 27, 1994, 6:35:00 PM6/27/94
On 06-22-94 LIND...@PLAINS.NODAK.E wrote to ALL...

L > I have lost my handheld antenna for the second time. I would

How on earth do you lose it. Leave it on the taklie (or did you lose the
talkie too.

L > like to know which short duck antenna has would perform the best with
L > my
L > Alinco 580. I have heard that the one Larson makes is pretty good. I
L >
L > have also heard that the factory supplied antenna is pretty much a
L > dummy load.

I have several friends with "after market" antennas on their 580's,
while I have always used the origional. We have never noticed any
differnce. ANY shortened antenna is NOT going to work as well as a full
size antenna.

K5JCM

* OFFLINE 1.56 * Dijon vu: Have I had this mustard before?

Nick Stefanisko

Jun 28, 1994, 2:22:22 PM6/28/94
I have a Comet CH-72S, it is much better than the duck I got with my IC24at.
But it seams to work about the same as the one I got with my FT-530(Yaesu).

The one bad thing about the Comet is that it is 15inces long. They say
size doesn't matter, but it sure does make it difficult to put in the
glove box with out bending. :)
___
Integrated / / Nick Stefanisko [KD6PTD]
Systems HEWLETT/hp/PACKARD stef...@hp-ptp.ptp.hp.com
Division /__/ Sunnyvale, California, USA

Opinions expressed here are not those of my employer; only my fingers
are to blame.

William A. Kirsanoff

Jun 28, 1994, 4:51:39 PM6/28/94

LIND...@PLAINS.NODAK.E wrote:

I have lost my handheld antenna for the second time. I would

like to know which short duck antenna has would perform the best

with my Alinco 580. I have heard that the one Larson makes is
pretty good. I have also heard that the factory supplied antenna
is pretty much a dummy load.

I strongly recommend a Larson "Kool-Ducky". I use one on my TH-78 rather
than the stock dummy load. I ran some comparison tests and found better
receive and transmit performance with the Larson antenna. Test methodology
was to get into a fringe area with the stock antenna, then switch to the
Kool-Ducky. Fringe became full quieting every time. :-)

The Kool-Ducky has more capture area than the stock dummy load on either
the TH-78 or the FT-530. I have not seen the stock antenna on the Alinco,
but I expect the same results.

As to loosing the antenna, are you clipping the HT to your belt and wearing
a fanny pack that rubs the connector? I found I was loosening the BNC when
I swing the fanny pack around to get out my wallet/keys/etc., then dropping
the antenna as I walked.

73

Wm. A. Kirsanoff Internet: WAKI...@ananov.remnet.ab.com
Rockwell International Ham: KD6MCI
(714) 762-2872
Alternate Internet: william_a....@ccmail.anatcp.rockwell.com
Who are you? * I am number 2. * Who is number 1? * You are number 6.

John Mollan - Harm

Jun 29, 1994, 11:26:09 AM6/29/94
Larsen also has superior quality control on each of their duckiew.
Each one is tested individually and they really stand by their product.
I now have a Magmount that has outlasted 5 cars.

Joe Landis - System & Network Mgr

Jun 29, 1994, 3:43:40 PM6/29/94
In article <Cs4Dp...@cup.hp.com>, stef...@ptp.hp.com (Nick Stefanisko) writes:
> I have a Comet CH-72S, it is much better than the duck I got with my IC24at.
> But it seams to work about the same as the one I got with my FT-530(Yaesu).
> The one bad thing about the Comet is that it is 15inces long. They say
The stock Yaesu duck (YHA28) on my FT470 works well too. About the same as an
Anli dual band duck that I had bought before. The Yaesu's about 8" but the
Anli's about 15" too. FYI, even IN a car they both work much better than an
MFJ dual band mag-mount mobile dummy load on the roof!
Joe - AA3GN
--
Joe Landis - System & Network Mgr. - North American Drager Co. Telford, PA
lan...@drager.com | uupsi5!main03!landisj | AA3GN@WB3JOE.#EPA.PA.USA

David C Gingrich

Jul 3, 1994, 12:55:00 AM7/3/94
> |> I have lost my handheld antenna for the second time. I would
> |> like to know which short duck antenna has would perform the best
> |> with my Alinco 580. I have heard that the one Larson makes is
> |> pretty good. I have also heard that the factory supplied antenna
> |> is pretty much a dummy load.

The best (reasobably sized) dual band antenna is the antenna that comes
with the Standard dual band radios. They can be purchased separately from a
dealer and sometimes be found at Hamfests (I paid $10 for mine) The
factory antenna on the 580 really stinks on two meters (it is okay on 440)
and I would recommend that it be replaced even if you CAN find it. I would
guess that the Standard antenna improves performance by at least 10 db if
not 20 on 2m.

The Larsen is also very good and probably easier to find.

--
Dave Gingrich, K9DC
Fishers, Indiana