Red Hat 8.0 / Soundmodem user-mode / PTT parallel

Chris

May 26, 2003, 8:23:12 PM5/26/03

I am trying to get my Red Hat 8.0 box working as a aprs digipeater.
I have the user-level soundmodem package working ok, and the
aprsdigi software is working.

My problem is PTT. I am attempting to use the parallel
port. No joy so far. A multimeter between PTT and ground
show no change when running soundmodemconfig PTT test, or
when running aprsdigi.

I built the parallel port circuit from Sailor's web page.

web searching, I see where people doing this with serial
port have to turn off the port using setserial. Is there
some similar thing that must be done for parallel?

Help!

Chris
kc0atc

Jim Hale

May 26, 2003, 9:46:48 PM5/26/03
"Chris" <kc0...@qsl.net> wrote

> My problem is PTT. I am attempting to use the parallel
> port. No joy so far. A multimeter between PTT and ground
> show no change when running soundmodemconfig PTT test, or
> when running aprsdigi.
>
> I built the parallel port circuit from Sailor's web page.
>
> web searching, I see where people doing this with serial
> port have to turn off the port using setserial. Is there
> some similar thing that must be done for parallel?

Maybe try different parallel port modes in the CMOS (old style
XT probably best).

Bob Nielsen

May 26, 2003, 11:15:03 PM5/26/03

You should not have the line printer driver loaded (rmmod lp).

Chris

May 27, 2003, 1:01:34 AM5/27/03
Thanks Jim!

I finally had the sense to try out the parallel port using
a printer. And it didn't work there either. I ended up doing
like you say, configuring the parallel port in the BIOS
to use a fixed address.

So for posterity's sake, here is what I am using and how it
goes together:

1) working sound card - in my case it's a built-in to the
motherboard of this 333 mhz dell machine
2) compiled kernel with mkiss.o module
3) downloaded and compiled user-level soundmodem code
(version 0.7)
4) downloaded libax25, ax25-apps, ax25-tools from sourceforge
5) downloaded aprsdigi and xastir
6) Configured and compiled all of that stuff. The compile for
aprsdigi didn't work until I did some fooling around with
/usr/include/linux/rose.h and /usr/include/linux/ax25.h,
namely, replacing them with links to ../netrose/rose.h, and
(I think) ../netax25/ax25.h something like that. and I had
to add the definition for AX25_MTU from the old /usr/include/linux
version of ax25.h (I'm not sure if I have that all exactly right,
if it builds for you, then just go for it. If not, then it is
pretty
obvious what is wrong.)
7) run soundmodemconfig, create channels for each of the ax25 devices
you
want to use sm0, sm1, etc. Also, check out the scope display to
see if your
volume is set right. And test the PTT.
8) I linked /usr/local/etc/ax25 to /etc/ax25 ( I may have done this
earlier)
9) edit /etc/ax25/axports to have a callsign/port for each channel
defined
in 7. The names sm0, sm1, etc. don't appear in axports file. But
we are building some callsign/ax25 definitions that will get hooked up
to sm0, sm1, etc. later.
10) run soundconfig -v5 and watch the packets come in
11) ifconfig sm0 up
12) axparms -setcall sm0 <callsign from axports>
13) aprsdigi (pointed to the ax25 port name indicated as the first
item in a axports definition line for callsign used in step 12)
14) ifconfig sm1 up
15) axparms -setcall sm1 <callsign from axports>
16) xastir - setup to use ax25 using ax25 name from axports which is
associated with the callsign used in step 15.

So the axports file relates callsign and ax25 port name. The
soundmodem config
relates callsign and network device (sm0, etc.) for each channel:

net device --> callsign --> ax25 port
sm0 -> kc0atc -> digi (used by aprsdigi)
sm1 -> kc0atc-2 -> xastir (used by xastir)

Using mkiss the same stuff shows up as input on both ports, so
both xastir and aprsdigi get to see it.

It took me a long time to get this all figured out.

I am using parport0 as my PTT trigger. It is working ok.
I built the little PTT circuit from Sailor's web page.
Once I got my parallel port working, then the PTT and GND
lines from his circuit go to 0 ohms (PTT is grounded)
when the software wants to transmit.

(Isn't the internet cool? I can type all of this in and Google
Groups will keep it for all of posterity. If I forget, I can
just look it up!)

Chris
kc0atc

charlesb

May 27, 2003, 7:33:13 AM5/27/03

"Chris" <kc0...@qsl.net> wrote in message

> (Isn't the internet cool? I can type all of this in and Google
> Groups will keep it for all of posterity. If I forget, I can
> just look it up!)

A couple of days go, I was trying to hook up a packet link between two
computers using ethernet. I was doing a little bit of head-scratching, until
I remembered an article I had written on the subject seven or eight years
ago, and had put in my personal web-site.

I brought up the browser, clicked the mouse a few times, and there was all
the info I needed!

Charles, N5PVL