Supply 3 Pole Gas Tube Arresters(Gas Discharge Tubes)3-Electrode Cdramic Surge Arrester,Ceramic Surge Arresters

samu...@vip.163.com

Oct 27, 2005, 10:01:25 PM10/27/05
Supply 3 Pole Gas Tube Arresters(Gas Discharge Tubes)3-Electrode
Cdramic Surge Arrester,Ceramic Surge Arresters

We are a professional manufacturer from China mainly produce 3 Pole Gas
Tube Arresters(Gas Discharge Tubes)3-Electrode Cdramic Surge
Arrester,Ceramic Surge Arresters

See More Details at the Link:
http://www.cheerwe-telecom.com
http://indonetwork.info/cheerwetelecom

My E-mail:ebaby...@yahoo.com.cn
Tel:+86-135-86539769

pdr...@coinet.com

Oct 28, 2005, 1:03:59 PM10/28/05
Ok, how does this relate to antennas?

Are your devices UL approved? If not, my insurance will not pay for
loss with these devices in use in either my house or my plant.

Paul

tsterkel

Oct 28, 2005, 4:09:33 PM10/28/05
I have a VW Jetta with the "shorty" antenna. I am pleasantly impressed
that it works better than the long steel type. The active (electronic)
antenna is superior, and I get reception when no one else can.

Here is my question for the techys:

I am looking at getting an Avanti. The shorty antenna would look very
rakish, and a nice replacement for that stock extended steel. The body
on the Avanti is Fiberglass.

1. Do you ground back to the frame?
2. I suspect that the shorty antenna uses the metal roof as a ground
plane, true?
3. If true, what is the implications for using the shorty, active
antenna on the fiberglass?
4. What are the different model names/numbers for such an antenna, and
what is YOUR OPINION of each?

URLs appreciated

thanks!
terry

John Poulos

Oct 28, 2005, 4:17:48 PM10/28/05
You need to run a ground strap to the frame, but the lower mounting on
the Avanti's rear fender may hurt reception a bit as well as the poorer
ground plane.

--
JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com

N8N

Oct 28, 2005, 4:21:40 PM10/28/05

I don't know the answer to your question, but I can tell you this

a) the VW antenna has a star washer under its mounting nut, so your
assumption that it is grounded to the car body may be correct. If that
is the case you will need to probably solder a lead to a large flat
washer to replicate that setup.

b) the manufacturer of said antenna is "Fuba" which might help you in
your search for information.

Personally, I haven't had much luck with Fubas, every car I've had that
is so equipped has had zippy AM reception, as the amplifier section is
already blown by the time I acquire the car. (I tend to buy my daily
driver type vehicles fully depreciated.) Also, shit you not, squirrels
apparently like to gnaw on them. Dunno if that's of concern to you or
not, but replacement masts are available and just screw in. (take them
off before going through a car wash, too...)

If you do choose to go forward with this and are looking for economical
sources, I'd look to the VW aftermarket, such as parts4vws.com or
similar.

Another thought would be to use the trunk mount antenna from a GT Hawk,
it looks very Fuba-like but is "period correct." I don't know if there
is any way you could rig Fuba guts to work with the Stude trunk mount
unit, but if it could be worked out I might consider doing that for my
'55 coupe.

Finally, I've even seen fender-mount Fubas; I know they were used on A3
cabrios. Might be able to adapt one to work in the stock location
rather than having to drill a hole in the roof (yikes!) to mount the
angled-back style.

You may also want to post to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled or to the
Vortex...

good luck,

nate

Telamon

Oct 28, 2005, 6:40:21 PM10/28/05
"tsterkel" <goo...@sterkel.org> wrote:

Concerning #1, 2 and 3:
Chances are it needs a ground plane of some sort around it. You could
make a ground plane for it by using self sticking copper foil on the
inside of the fiberglass panel the antenna is mounted on. The foil
should extend some distance from the edge of the mounting hole for the
antenna in all directions and then use a metal washer inside the panel
to mount the antenna with, which will make contact with foil.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Jerry Martes

Oct 28, 2005, 6:57:27 PM10/28/05

"tsterkel" <goo...@sterkel.org> wrote in message

Hi Terry

I find it difficult to think of the whip for AM radio reception on a car
as 'the antenna'. It is more like a probe of the currents flowing on the
outer surface of the car. The "shortys" on cars with amplifiers mounted
at their base certainly arent antennas.
A plastic car provides the Shorty with an environment thats considerably
different from that anticipated by the original Shorty design.
A strap to the chassis might be a solution for installing a VW amplified
antenna. But,would you consider a radio intended for a Corvette??

Jerry

harrogate2

Oct 29, 2005, 4:59:17 AM10/29/05

You only need a ground plane if the aerial transmits - for a receive
only you can kust mount it, end of story.

It is NOT a good idea to connect an earth bond at the aerial end as
the aerial cable and that bond might provide a lower resistance feed
to other vehicle electrics than the designed route and end up causing
severe interference.

--
Woody

harrogate2 at ntlworld dot com

John Poulos

Oct 29, 2005, 9:27:03 AM10/29/05
Not true, here's a GM service letter about the fiberglass bodied Vette:

"Antenna Ground Plane Upgrade

GM issued a service bulletin for an improvement to the radio antenna. It
can enhance the quality of FM radio reception. This is applicable for
’90 through ’91 Corvettes. Some customers have been very impressed with
the results. The results are dependent on the quality your local radio
signals and the quality of the installation. High quality installations
are performed only if the installation is exactly as specified by the
technical bulletin. The improvement was incorporated into factory
production in the ’92 model year.

The method is to create a ground plane for the antenna. Four wires that
are ¼ wavelength long join together to form an electrical ground field
at radio frequencies. The C4 Corvette has a narrow steel band located
under the antenna. It is designed to function as a ground plane, but its
area is too small for optimal performance. Other cars don’t have this
difficulty because metal exterior panels provide the ground plane."