Repost: English Puzzle

Jonathan Haas

May 2, 1994, 1:58:58 PM5/2/94

Folks--

Awhile ago, I posted the following puzzle. Nobody's gotten it yet (no, Tom,
none of your answers were the one I had in mind), so I thought I'd repost
it and give y'all a couple more days to chew on it, before I post the answer.

In general, a [blank]er is someone who [blank]s. Example: a builder builds,
a dancer dances, a player plays. Give an example of a pair of words where
this pattern is *reversed*: a [blank] is someone who [blank]ers.

Answer posted May 5, if nobody gets it.

--
__/\__ Jonathan S. Haas | Jake liked his women the way he liked
\ / University of Michigan | his kiwi fruit: sweet yet tart, firm-

Chris Cole

May 3, 1994, 2:42:33 AM5/3/94
In article <2q3f12$l...@zip.eecs.umich.edu> posi...@quip.eecs.umich.edu (Jonathan Haas) writes:

>Folks--
>
>Awhile ago, I posted the following puzzle. Nobody's gotten it yet (no, Tom,
>none of your answers were the one I had in mind), so I thought I'd repost
>it and give y'all a couple more days to chew on it, before I post the answer.
>
> In general, a [blank]er is someone who [blank]s. Example: a builder builds,
> a dancer dances, a player plays. Give an example of a pair of words where
> this pattern is *reversed*: a [blank] is someone who [blank]ers.
>
>Answer posted May 5, if nobody gets it.

Well, I have a few that are probably not what you have in
mind, but here they are:

A moth mothers; a prof proffers; she sheers; a wag wagers.

But all seriousness aside, could your pair be:

A pest pesters?

Ben A. Fairbank

May 2, 1994, 9:51:21 PM5/2/94
In article <2q3f12$l...@zip.eecs.umich.edu> posi...@quip.eecs.umich.edu (Jonathan Haas) writes:

My Cousin, Henry, longs for carnal congress with Gwendolyn. He is
therefore a Hank who hankers.... ...... :-). Ben.

Jonathan Haas

May 3, 1994, 7:39:48 AM5/3/94
Chris Cole <ch...@questrel.com> wrote:

> posi...@quip.eecs.umich.edu (Jonathan Haas) writes:
>>
>> In general, a [blank]er is someone who [blank]s. Example: a builder builds,
>> a dancer dances, a player plays. Give an example of a pair of words where
>> this pattern is *reversed*: a [blank] is someone who [blank]ers.

>A pest pesters?

BING! And the Colemeister nails it...

paf2

May 3, 1994, 9:58:57 AM5/3/94

In order for this to work I must point out that my best friend is called
Matthew and therefore:-

Mat is someone who matters.

I hope there is a financial award...Ta Cheesus.
Don't die in the pub it looks bad.

Also if you have a bat who works in a fish 'n' chip shop,
a bat is someone who batters.

please send your prize to pa...@aber.ac.uk

Holleman Eric

May 3, 1994, 12:17:35 PM5/3/94
In article <2q5d64$7...@zip.eecs.umich.edu> posi...@quip.eecs.umich.edu (Jonathan Haas) writes:

>Chris Cole <ch...@questrel.com> wrote:
>>A pest pesters?
>
>BING! And the Colemeister nails it...

Damn! And here I was thinking that a wave might waver (not quite
the right form, I know) or that a frightened cow might cower.

Congratulations, Chris.

Eric

Tom Magliery

May 3, 1994, 12:33:09 PM5/3/94
er...@gsb003.cs.ualberta.ca (Holleman Eric) writes:

>>Chris Cole <ch...@questrel.com> wrote:
>>>A pest pesters?

I think "wimp whimpers" deserves honorable mention. It doesn't quite
go spelling-wise, but it works great vocally (and definitionally).

mag
--
Tom Magliery ** Dept of CS ** 1304 W Springfield ** Urbana IL 61801 ** USA

RVES...@vma.cc.nd.edu

May 3, 1994, 1:17:28 PM5/3/94
how about a <blank>erer who <blank>ers?

bob vesterman.

David Savitt

May 4, 1994, 3:38:52 AM5/4/94
<RVES...@vma.cc.nd.edu> writes:

>how about a <blank>erer who <blank>ers?

>bob vesterman.

[SPOILER]

A wanderer who wanders.
A philanderer who philanders.

-Dave

Dave Savitt | 2nd year mathematics | AKA Little Dave | Go Canucks!
dsa...@unixg.ubc.ca | University of B.C. | AKA Goliath | Go Capitals!
--- "I am not a crook" - Richard Nixon ----- "I am not your cook" - my mom ---

Mike Chakoian

May 4, 1994, 9:17:00 AM5/4/94
In article <2q3f12$l...@zip.eecs.umich.edu>, posi...@quip.eecs.umich.edu (Jonathan Haas) writes:

> Awhile ago, I posted the following puzzle. Nobody's gotten it yet (no, Tom,
> none of your answers were the one I had in mind), so I thought I'd repost
> it and give y'all a couple more days to chew on it, before I post the answer.
>
> In general, a [blank]er is someone who [blank]s. Example: a builder builds,
> a dancer dances, a player plays. Give an example of a pair of words where
> this pattern is *reversed*: a [blank] is someone who [blank]ers.

Not what you were looking for, but...

"I have a sandwich named after me," boasted Rueben.

"So do I!" COUNTERed the COUNT.

--
Michael P. Chakoian (MP...@ntrs.com) | HOFSTADTER'S LAW
Northern Trust Co. CB5S | ==============================

M. Crystal

May 5, 1994, 8:04:21 AM5/5/94

In article <94123.1217...@vma.cc.nd.edu>, <RVES...@vma.cc.nd.edu> writes:
> how about a <blank>erer who <blank>ers?
>
> bob vesterman.

A buggerer who buggers.
--
----------
Michael R. Crystal <MCry...@bbn.com>

Knut Mork

May 5, 1994, 8:18:23 AM5/5/94
(Jonathan Haas) wrote:

> Folks--
>
> Awhile ago, I posted the following puzzle. Nobody's gotten it yet (no, Tom,
> none of your answers were the one I had in mind), so I thought I'd repost
> it and give y'all a couple more days to chew on it, before I post the answer.
>
> In general, a [blank]er is someone who [blank]s. Example: a builder builds,
> a dancer dances, a player plays. Give an example of a pair of words where
> this pattern is *reversed*: a [blank] is someone who [blank]ers.
>
> Answer posted May 5, if nobody gets it.

A 'wimp' is someone who 'whimpers'? ;O)

--Knut

Larry Colwell

May 5, 1994, 4:05:57 PM5/5/94
mcry...@bbn.com (M. Crystal) writes:

A waterer who waters.

Larry Colwell

Bill Schenck

May 12, 1994, 1:30:08 PM5/12/94

I know this is an old thread but I was just catching up. How about:

A slob slobbers.