How difficult is this puzzle?

ste...@buckmaster.ca

Jan 23, 2009, 4:53:28 PM1/23/09
I put this puzzle on my blog, and found people not understanding even
the solution.

What is this?

A A A B A D A E A G A H A I A L A M A N A R A S A T A W A X A Y B A B
E B I B O B Y D E D O E D E F E H E L E M E N E R E S E T E X F A F E
G O H A H E H I H M H O I D I F I N I S I T J O K A K I L A L I L O M
A M E M I M M M O M U M Y N A N E N O N U O D O E O F O H O I O M O N
O P O R O S O W O X O Y P A P E P I Q I R E S H S I S O T A T I T O U
H U M U N U P U S U T W E W O X I X U Y A Y E Y O Z A

So I thought surely someone from the rec.puzzles crowd would figure it
out?

Stephan

David Breton

Jan 23, 2009, 5:15:08 PM1/23/09

An unreadable CV.

David
--
Pete: Waiter, this meat is bad.
Waiter: Who told you?

Kevin Stone

Jan 23, 2009, 5:53:23 PM1/23/09
> A A A B A D A E A G A H A I A L A M A N A R A S A T A W A X A Y B A B
> E B I B O B Y D E D O E D E F E H E L E M E N E R E S E T E X F A F E
> G O H A H E H I H M H O I D I F I N I S I T J O K A K I L A L I L O M
> A M E M I M M M O M U M Y N A N E N O N U O D O E O F O H O I O M O N
> O P O R O S O W O X O Y P A P E P I Q I R E S H S I S O T A T I T O U
> H U M U N U P U S U T W E W O X I X U Y A Y E Y O Z A

I T F E W D E F E F R S G T G H T H D E
F G T F F F J K O L P U Y H H Y G Y H J
G Y Y H I T F D E S X W A Q D S H U H H
J I E K L M E U H U J M K L O P I A K J
H H B G H T F N S M K L O B N K H U I I
Q A W D E F R G Y G E D G V Z X C V F R
E R D F G H Y J U I O E

--
Kev

dgates

Jan 23, 2009, 7:09:07 PM1/23/09

I can sort of see what's going on. First there are A's interspersed
with most of the consonants. (Also with E and I, now that I look more
carefully.)

Then B's interspersed with most of the vowels, and so on.

I don't immediately see the pattern to the omissions.

A,B,D,E,F,G,H,I,L... but not C,J,K,O,P,Q,U,V,Z.

Then the B's have all the vowels but U.

There is no set of C's at all, a couple D's, then multiple E's.

The problem I have with any complex puzzles that get posted is that I
can't be 100% sure that there will be a logical, satisfactory answer,
so it's hard to put in too much legwork.

I don't suppose anyone wants to parse the text and rewrite it so that
the letters being "interspersed" each get their own row header and
then the interspersed letters follow...?

Example:

A's:
A B D E G H I L M N R S T W X Y

B's:
A E I O Y

D's:
E O

E's:
D F H L M N R S T X

Or maybe that's totally wrong. Maybe what's important is that it's an
alphabetical list of the first two letters of all the things in some
group -- all the countries in the world, or all the names in the bible
or something.

Kevin Stone

Jan 23, 2009, 7:33:09 PM1/23/09
> The problem I have with any complex puzzles that get posted is that I
> can't be 100% sure that there will be a logical, satisfactory answer,
> so it's hard to put in too much legwork.

I can guarantee that my puzzle is logical and solvable - and of an
interesting form.

When I was thinking about the OP I checked for a solution of the form of my
subsequent post - which it still might be, but I couldn't be bothered to
check the extension (which I'll describe once my post is solved).

Actually, once my puzzle is solved, the extension to check for should be
pretty obvious.

--
Kev

swp

Jan 23, 2009, 7:42:31 PM1/23/09

this is a complete(?) list of 2-letter words, not sure if there is
anything else to it.

swp

Ted Schuerzinger

Jan 23, 2009, 9:03:31 PM1/23/09

I believe it's specifically the two-letter words in the current North
American Scrabble list. <http://www.isc.ro/lists/twl062.html>

The British list is at <http://www.isc.ro/lists/sowpods2.html>, and has
more words than the North American list. I don't know the meanings of
the words in SOWPODS not in TWL06.

--
Ted S.
fedya at hughes dot net

Patrick Hamlyn

Jan 24, 2009, 12:43:30 AM1/24/09
swp <Stephen...@gmail.com> wrote:

Wotta singularly pointless puzzle. It wasn't the solution they didn't
understand, it's why you thought it was a puzzle...
--
Patrick Hamlyn posting from Perth, Western Australia
Windsurfing capital of the Southern Hemisphere