Treasure: In Search of the Golden Horse

Tom Howe

Apr 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/29/96

Can anyone give me more information on this video-based puzzle from 1984,
like was the contest ever completed? I have this on an RCA VideoDisc.

Thanks,

--Tom Howe
ho...@ohsu.edu
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
CED Magic at http://www.teleport.com/~ceds/selectavision.html
Extensive Information on the RCA SelectaVision VideoDisc System
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Chris Cole

Apr 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/30/96

Tom Howe wrote:

> Can anyone give me more information on this video-based puzzle from 1984,
> like was the contest ever completed? I have this on an RCA VideoDisc.

This question is in the rec.puzzles archive:

==> references/books/treasure.p <==
What is the solution to _Treasure_ by Dr. Crypton?

==> references/books/treasure.s <==
"Treasure" was a puzzle by Dr. Crypton (Paul Hoffman) released
simultaneously in 1984 as a book, a videotape and a laserdisk. The book
and video versions include a number of mysterious pictures and images
connected by a loose plot involving the theft of a golden horse. The
1-kilo golden horse itself was buried, and the mysterious images were
supposed to give instructions on how to find it. The lucky winners would
get the golden horse and $500,000. The clues were interesting and
obscure; it was impossible to tell which of the puzzles were relevant to
the solution and which weren't. Enough of them were sort of solvable to
give people hope that they were on the right track. For example, some
clues written on an umbrella gave the birth and death years of Mary, Queen
of Scots; and a chess game turned out to be identifiable as Anderssen vs.
Kieseritzky, the "Shower of Gold" game. Evidently neither of these
observations was relevant to the solution in the end.

It was alleged that during the production of the video enough people
were let in on the secret that the location had to be changed... but
that very little of the puzzle was changed to reflect the new location.

Nobody solved the puzzle in time -- i.e. by midnight of 26 May 1989.
The horse was dug up by the promoters and the prize donated to a charity:
Big Brothers and Sisters of America. However, the promoters and Dr.
Crypton refused to make the solution public. Seven months later two
men, Nick Boone and Anthony Castaneda, went to Tennessee Pass in Colorado
and dug up a vial with congratulations inside. They wrote a description
of their thought processes that left other frustrated treasure-seekers
suspicious and annoyed: their "solution" appeared to be motivated very
little by anything in the puzzle itself, so that it seemed apparent to
many that they were virtually guided to that location by the promoters.
This suspicion has not been confirmed or denied.

--Jim Gillogly <uunet!rand.org!James_Gillogly>
Instructions for Accessing the rec.puzzles Archive

INTRODUCTION

The rec.puzzles Archive is a list of puzzles, categorized by subject
area. Each puzzle includes a solution, compiled from various sources,
which is supposed to be definitive.

EMAIL

To request a puzzle, send a message to archive...@questrel.com like:

return_address your_name@your_site.your_domain
send requested_puzzle_name

For example, if your net address is "mic...@disneyland.com", to request
"geometry/duck.and.fox.p", send the message:

return_address mic...@disneyland.com
send duck.and.fox

To request the index, use:

send index

To request multiple puzzles, use several "send" lines in a message.
Please refrain from requesting the entire archive via email. Use FTP.

FTP

The entire archive is also accessible via anonymous FTP, from any site
which maintains archives of the newsgroups news.answers or
rec.answers. One such site is rtfm.mit.edu, where the archive is in
the directory /pub/usenet/news.answers/puzzles/archive. The file
part01 contains the index. The remaining files contain alternating
problem text and solution text for all the puzzles.

Some other FTP sites are:

ftp://ftp.cs.ruu.nl/pub/NEWS.ANSWERS/puzzles/archive
ftp://ftp.uu.net/usenet/news.answers/puzzles/archive
Compressed plain text.
ftp://ftp.cis.ksu.edu/pub/mirrors/news.answers/puzzles/archive
Compressed plain text.

GOPHER

From the global home page, the menu choices to access the archives
at "cs.ttu.edu" are:
North America/USA/Texas/Texas Tech University, Computer Sciences
/Entertainment/Games/Puzzles
To access "uni-hohenheim.de" your menu choices are:
Europe/Germany/University of Hohenheim/Lots of Interesting Stuff
/FAQ Frequently Asked Questions/rec/puzzles/archive

WEB

http://www.nova.edu/Inter-Links/puzzles.html
Linked to the gopher server immediately above.
http://xraysgi.ims.uconn.edu:8080
By keyword as well as subject.
http://einstein.et.tudelft.nl/~arlet/puzzles/index.html
Unknown date; partially HTMLized.

THE rec.puzzles ORACLE

This is a group of rec.puzzles regulars, who are familiar with the
rec.puzzles archive, and who will find your answer there if it exists,
or maybe compose an original answer if they are interested enough!
At any rate, they promise to respond to your question within two days,
and perhaps save you the embarrassment of posting a well-worn
question. They will respond within two days even if they do not know
the answer to your question.

To query the rec.puzzles oracle, send email containing your question
to the following address:

puzzle...@questrel.com

Mark Parry

Apr 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/30/96

In article <4m3l5r$6...@fremont.ohsu.edu> ho...@ohsu.edu "Tom Howe" writes:

> Can anyone give me more information on this video-based puzzle from 1984,
> like was the contest ever completed? I have this on an RCA VideoDisc.

Yeah, it finished without being solved. However a couple of guys
cliam to have solved it. Their solution was published in TREASURE magazine.

DR KRYPTON who wrote Archimedes Revenge gives a similar solution in chapter
four of his book. This came out a year before the puzzle was solved ;-)

Be in touch.

Mark

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
+--+--+--+--+
| 9|13|16|99| Mark Parry - Mpa...@mertcplc.demon.co.uk
+--+--+--+--+
| 7| 8|92|92|
+--+--+--+--+
+--+--+--+--+
|47|18|53| 7| And a hare, as everyone knows, is only a hare.
+--+--+--+--+ KW 1979
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Check out The Armchair Treasure Hunt Home Page at
http://sunacm.swan.ac.uk/~milamber/treasure
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

badge...@gmail.com

Dec 23, 2017, 10:28:28 PM12/23/17
Hello,

The contest is over...but I am still trying to understand the puzzle. So I am going to share some things in the hopes of gaining some ally's in the search,

Here are what I think of as clues. Some seem to be agreed upon by past and hopefully present seekers:

1. Circles
2. Sunset
3. Arch
4. Fibonacci numbers (I believe they ID some clues)
5. Chess

To catch up, read the Captain Nemo Solution. Many believe this was just one solution. But they had to move the Horse of Gold, to an alternate sight because people involved in the project had figured out the original burial sight.

I have one request of anyone with access to the laser disk version of the movie. If you could make a video of the chess section, it would be great. If not the whole video. I have the VHS version...but it doesn't have the chess section other than showing a Knight in the Courtyard chapter.

From others research The Immortal Game is supposed to be featured. I would like to see the laserdisc version. Please contact me directly, if you don't want to post here. I'm really hoping I'm not alone.

Also if a woman by the online handle Judy C is out there, Please, please, please contact me Badge...@gmail.com. I have questions about the Vigenere Cipher Tool and the two answers you reported. The first answer, actually works.

JB

JP Labonte

Feb 26, 2019, 12:55:24 PM2/26/19
I sent you an email. The info about the chess section is posted on my site, with a lot more about Treasure (i.e. I am exploring a new approach with surprising results). See
http://jeanpierrelabonte.quebec/treasure

Johnnie Brock

Nov 24, 2019, 10:46:24 AM11/24/19
On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 11:55:24 AM UTC-6, JP Labonte wrote:
> I sent you an email. The info about the chess section is posted on my site, with a lot more about Treasure (i.e. I am exploring a new approach with surprising results). See
> http://jeanpierrelabonte.quebec/treasure

Thanks for the reply. One thing I think we need to keep in our minds is that Paul Hoffman said and I am paraphrasing, that any 13 year old can figure out the puzzle. I think he was over simplfying the actual solution - but I think the clue signals...signs that point to the clues ARE simple and glaring. You just have to separate them from the noise.

One of the clips on your page from the book has a large crystal ball like circle, it has 3 (itself a fibonacci number) fibonacci numbers, a gloved hand with 5 fingers, 8 Tarot cards, and added togather makes 13. Three, Five, eight, and 13. These four fibonacci numbers make the four corners of a golden rectangle. The Rabbit Card has a cipher... that points to the Nemo solution, but I think the real clue (to the original solution) is the rectangle. The seashells in the book is the obvious reference to the The Golden Ratio. Paul Hoffman was into puzzles and chess. He also lived in Chicago, IL. He cannot have overlooked two prominent area codes 314 and 618. Pi is 3.14 and Phi is 1.618 and I believe marks ground zero. The beginning of Amanda's journey. When the contest was active, I discounted this - I was certain everyone thought local features were a part of the puzzle. This is born out by some of the various still active sites that present a solution. Anyway, I have started a facebook group for my notes just search for "Treasure In Search of the Golden Horse", and anyone can request membership. Also, the way the Knight moves is related to the Golden Ratio, and the Knights Tour (the Turk solution). Look at all of this with the eyes of a 13 year old...Lewis and Clark started in the 314/618 area.
I'm convinced, the cover picture, is of the east coast. I think its Seaside, OR. Several clues point to Oregon in general (the furthest point of LC's Voyage of Discovery) Why Seaside? Researching Hoffman I found he was at a Chess Tournament there, unfortunately I have lost that source. Argh! But if you look at the cover photo, and compare it to Seaside area's topography it match's. Estuary to the north,Lighthouse to the south, the town even has a merry-go-round. Anyway, that's all I have time for now.

Johnnie Brock

Nov 26, 2019, 7:05:24 AM11/26/19
I also found a way to interpret "10th Mountain Division" from the books cover photo. First notice the Rabbit, on the carousel, then count the horses, ten. Right above is a picture of a mountain. On the roof is a divided roof - and there are different colored bars seeming to point toward the mountain picture. So from bottom to top you get 10, Mountain, divided....or 10th Mountain Division.

Johnnie Brock

Dec 9, 2019, 7:46:09 PM12/9/19
The end date of the contest was likely a clue, 5-26-1989. 5 is a fibonacci number as is 89, 26 keeps showing up....26th letter is z (izzard one of the words in the rabbit card), 1926 is when route 24 started, 26th state is Michigan and where route 24 starts. I'm looking for fibonnacci #'s leading to or sandwiching a clue.
21 blocks in the burnt map per side. 21st state Illinois.

Johnnie Brock

Dec 12, 2019, 2:16:37 PM12/12/19
Another breakthrough, a page with a L shaped slash of water. Mountain picture on the long end of the L.
Chess/kinight piece connection, the way a knight moves, L-shaped. Well water, and the shape was the give away, water is a treasure of a type and what do you use to find water? A Dowsing rod, ised to find treasure of some type. I saw a water department employee using two L shaped dowsing rods to locate water mains.
Anyway, the the long end of the L dowsing rod points to the water/mountai /treasure. Obviously possible Nemo confirmation.
I'm still thinking about the broken glass in the picture, the page number, if ten is mentioned in the text on the other page. Shape of the glass?

Michael Grams

Sep 21, 2020, 1:14:50 PM9/21/20
If anyone is interested in the one and only true solution to "Treasure In Search of the Golden Horse" Check out "Case# 735" on eBay or www.case735.com. This is the real deal not some Captain Nemo B S. Hold onto your socks. You are about to be amazed!

Ashley

Jul 5, 2023, 4:46:17 PM7/5/23
Hey, Johnnie! I'm curious what "the nemo solution" actually is. I've done a quick google search and the only thing coming up is a physical puzzle box. Thanks!