NEW PUZZLE GAME: Fathom It! v1.1 released!

Moshe Rubin

May 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/28/98

FATHOM IT!: SOLITAIRE BATTLESHIP FOR THE DISCERNING PUZZLER

Puzzle enthusiasts can now enjoy Solitaire Battleship with a logical
deduction twist

Are you a Battleship lover looking for a challenging variation
to the game? A logical deduction fan searching for a refreshing
brain twister? A puzzle enthusiast in search of a fascinating
and new puzzle?

Mountain Vista Software announces the release of Fathom It!, an
MS Windows adaptation of GAMES Magazine's popular column
"Battleships". Like the classic game of Battleship, Fathom It!
presents you with a board in which a fleet of ships is hidden,
the goal being to locate the entire fleet of ships. Unlike
Battleship, however, Fathom It! puzzle boards are solved using
logical deduction only.

Fathom It! contains more than 30,000 unique and challenging
boards, divided into easy, intermediate, hard, and expert
levels of difficulty. Easy level Fathom It! boards are ideal
for children, while expert boards will tax the ingenuity of the
most determined puzzlists. For the player looking for
aesthetic enjoyment in puzzles, Fathom It! board solutions
exhibit a chess problem-like beauty.

Fathom It! comes with a built-in board solver, guaranteed to
supply the player with a hint at any time. The solver is a
rule-based expert system, and will amaze you with the
insightful hints it provides when invoked. An extensive help
file provides a wealth of tips and strategies for solving
Fathom It! boards.

Vision-impaired puzzlers will appreciate Fathom It!'s unique
auto-resizing feature. When Fathom It!'s window is maximized,
all elements of the game are enlarged accordingly, making the
board highly visible and easy to use.

A fully functional evaluation copy of this $24.95 program for
MS Windows 3.x or above is available from Mountain Vista
Software's Web site at:

http://www.mountainvistasoft.com.

Please send all inquiries, questions or comments to:

in...@mountainvistasoft.com

Moshe Rubin
Mountain Vista Software
Tel/Fax: +972-2-6513769
E-mail: mos...@mountainvistasoft.com
WWW: http://www.mountainvistasoft.com
CIS: 73014,626
Member: ASP (Association of Shareware Professionals)

Creators of Fathom It!, Solitaire Battleship with the Logical Deduction Twist

Everett Kaser

May 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/29/98

Moshe Rubin wrote in message <356d5a81...@news.netvision.net.il>...

>FATHOM IT!: SOLITAIRE BATTLESHIP FOR THE DISCERNING PUZZLER
>
>Puzzle enthusiasts can now enjoy Solitaire Battleship with a logical
>deduction twist

This is a very nice implementation of this game (which I had also
been thinking about implementing, but Moshe beat me to it... :-)
I highly recommend it to folks who like puzzle games!

Everett

Everett Kaser Software Sherlock, Moriarty, Solitile, Hero
PO Box 403 Phone: 541-928-5259 8am-9pm PACIFIC TIME
Albany OR 97321-0117 http://www.kaser.com

Moshe Rubin

May 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/31/98

On Fri, 29 May 1998 18:29:47 GMT, "Everett Kaser" <eve...@kaser.com>
wrote:

>This is a very nice implementation of this game (which I had also
>been thinking about implementing, but Moshe beat me to it... :-)
>I highly recommend it to folks who like puzzle games!
>
>Everett

>Everett Kaser Software Sherlock, Moriarty, Solitile, Hero
>PO Box 403 Phone: 541-928-5259 8am-9pm PACIFIC TIME
>Albany OR 97321-0117 http://www.kaser.com

Everett,

The ultimate compliment from a master puzzle designer! Your game
Sherlock hooked my, and Hero clinched it ...!

Many thanks,

Moshe

Erik Hermansen

May 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/31/98

wrote:

>Moshe Rubin wrote in message <356d5a81...@news.netvision.net.il>...

>>FATHOM IT!: SOLITAIRE BATTLESHIP FOR THE DISCERNING PUZZLER
>>
>>Puzzle enthusiasts can now enjoy Solitaire Battleship with a logical
>>deduction twist
>

>This is a very nice implementation of this game (which I had also
>been thinking about implementing, but Moshe beat me to it... :-)
>I highly recommend it to folks who like puzzle games!
>
>Everett

I was thinking when I played it, that there were a lot of similarities
between it and Sherlock/Moriarty. He sure did a nice job on his
solver. I was blown away at some of the explanations it came up with
when I tried the expert levels. "Square 4G cannot be water
because..." and then three or four levels of deduction spelled out
painstakingly clear. Very impressive and pretty fun too.
/* Deadly Rooms of Death - puzzling game of dungeon */
/* exploration for Windows. Easy to play, damned */
/* hard to win. Download from: */
/* http://webfootgames.com/catalog/drod.htm */

Everett Kaser

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

Erik Hermansen wrote in message <3571d399....@news.halcyon.com>...

>I was thinking when I played it, that there were a lot of similarities
>between it and Sherlock/Moriarty. He sure did a nice job on his
>solver. I was blown away at some of the explanations it came up with
>when I tried the expert levels. "Square 4G cannot be water
>because..." and then three or four levels of deduction spelled out
>painstakingly clear. Very impressive and pretty fun too.

Yes, the solver is VERY excellent! Moshe said that he worked on
this program for 4 years, and I can believe it. In Sherlock and Moriarty,
I "cleverly" :-) designed the games so that all of the deductions are
"straight-forward", ie, you don't have to say "Well, if THIS were true,
then THIS and THIS and THAT would have to be true, but THAT can
NOT be true, therefore the first THIS can't be true." Whereas, on
FathomIt! (and the pencil game that inspired it) you DO have to make
those kinds of "suppose/check" deductions, and sometimes two or
three of them in a row before you get to either a solution or an
impossibility (which tells you that a previous supposition was wrong).

Very impressive indeed.