Computer Processing of Photos/Slides

Carl Madson

Feb 2, 1990, 9:29:50 PM2/2/90

The latest MacWeek (Jan. 30 1990) had a review of the Nikon slide scanner,
along with a comparison to the Barneyscan scanner. They found the Nikon beast
to be superior, for the same Low, Low price (just under $10K! Eek!).

I got the promo literature from Nikon on this one (which I can summarize on
request), but the pictures they included were very impressive--especially
considering the generations involved between original subject and final
printed output. You can indeed go up to 6K x 4K x 24/32-bit pixels (using
either CMY or CMYK pixels), for some 96 MB (!!) per 35mm image. Obviously,
you don't have to use that full resolution if you don't want to.

I'd suggest looking around for a local service bureau to see if they have
scanners and printers (and the associated software), and try them out on a
slide or two. I'd prefer to go to them, pay to scan my slides, have them put
the data on some large removeable storage device (opto-magnetic drive comes
to mind), and then I'd take the digitized images home to futz with them on
a 24-bit monitor. Then back to the local, who would then print the slides out
for the usual uses--or, with improved color printers, direct output. (Depends
on what you need and what you'll tolerate from today's printers.)

The Mirius Slide Printer is a printer that comes to mind, in the high-quality
realm. I believe such devices are in the $5K-$6K range, so unless your volume
is high, you're better off letting the local shop make the big investment, and
keep the labor component (the Mac work) at home.

Check MacWeek and MacWorld for reviews of the devices you're considering, and
see what locals also use the devices. Also try calling some pro graphics
houses to see what they prefer.

It would be very nice indeed to take those shots which would are near-greats
and make them 'greats' by some subtle alterations (e.g., that one little tree
sticking up behind the '37 Cord has gotta go..). Of course, there's no limit
as to the creative tricks you can play beyond that.

Software: PhotoShop is new and supposedly hot; Studio/8 is also rated well,
and Digital Darkroom is great for B&W use. Serious 24-bit pro paint programs
include PixelPaint Professional. Again, check reviews and the local software
shop (come to ComputerWare in Palo Alto!)

--Carl Madson, SRI International, Menlo Park, CA

heu...@boulder.colorado.edu

Feb 2, 1990, 4:07:42 PM2/2/90

I see Nikon now has a slide/negative scanner with 4Kx6Kx24 bit
resolution. When coupled with a slide printer and some paint
software, this would seem to be a dynamite tool for retouching,
color correction, and, most especially artistic effects that
would be impossible in a darkroom.

I have a Mac II that i'm itching to try this on.
Does anybody have any experience with a setup like this, and
are there any recos on slide printers and paint software?

---
Vincent Heuring Dep't of Electrical & Computer Engineering
University of Colorado - Boulder heu...@boulder.Colorado.EDU

Michael Tod Rose

Feb 4, 1990, 2:06:14 AM2/4/90
Vincent --

I've played around with the Nikon LS3500, and it's absolutely
incredible. The resolution is spectacular, certainly print quality --
in fact, at top resolution it's said that the Nikon scanner captures
more information than actually exists in the transparency (scanner
resolution is higher than film resolution), and the file size is immense
-- 75 megabytes for a full-res 24-bit image.

For paint software (assuming you have a 24-bit display board), I'd
recommend Letraset ColorStudio (very powerful but very complex, bad
documentation, retails for $2000) or PixelPaint Professional (easier to
learn and use, less powerful, cheaper) right now. If you can wait a few
months, buy Adobe Photoshop because it's probably going to be the best
of the three.

Can't help you with slide recorders, but there are scads available for
the Mac. Certainly some of them are 24-bit compatible (Mirus comes to
mind) and there are some in the 3000-4000 line resolution range.

Have fun, and don't forget that this whole shebang begins with a scanner
costing $10,000 and a Mac setup costing minimum $7,500. Check that
bankbook...

-mike rose
mac design & layout consultant -- time inc. magazines
managing editor -- the tartan, carnegie mellon university

Rick Sterling - PA

Feb 3, 1990, 9:26:50 AM2/3/90
In article <16...@boulder.Colorado.EDU> heu...@boulder.Colorado.EDU () writes:

> I see Nikon now has a slide/negative scanner with 4Kx6Kx24 bit
^^^^^^^^

> resolution. When coupled with a slide printer and some paint
> software, this would seem to be a dynamite tool for retouching,
> color correction, and, most especially artistic effects that
> would be impossible in a darkroom.
>
> I have a Mac II that i'm itching to try this on.
> Does anybody have any experience with a setup like this, and
> are there any recos on slide printers and paint software?
>

> ---
> Vincent Heuring Dep't of Electrical & Computer Engineering
> University of Colorado - Boulder heu...@boulder.Colorado.EDU

Lets see... 4096 x 6144 x 24 = 603,979,776 bits = 75,497,472 bytes !

I'll be interested in learning how & where this ammount of data will be
manipulated.

Rick Sterling N2CGI Commodore Technology Group (215)-431-9275
Test Engineering UUCP ...{uunet,allegra,rutgers}!cbmvax!sterling