Death Valley

JOH...@worldnet.att.net

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
Anyone ever driven from Los Angeles to Death Valley ? I am leaving
Sunday to go there for a workshop and I'm debating which route might
be better, I 15 to Baker and then north or CA 395 to Olancha and then
east....any suggestions or thoughts....?

John Emmons

Jack Daynes

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
JOH...@worldnet.att.net wrote:

> east....any suggestions or thoughts....? --- John Emmons

Why not go in one way and out the other? On my last trip (01/15/2K) I
went in via Baker and exited via Lone Pine (Alabama Hills, Whitney
Portal, and Horse Shoe Meadows are all options at that point).

--
Jack
;~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~;

Dave Wyman

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
JOH...@worldnet.att.net wrote:

> Anyone ever driven from Los Angeles to Death Valley ....any suggestions or thoughts....?
>
> John Emmons

John, this is the quickest way to the Valley from L.A: Highway 14 to the
Redrock-Randsburg Road, a few miles south of Red Rock Canyon. Stay left
and take Garlock Rd. to reach Highway 395, go north about a mile to
Searles Station Road and then right onto Trona Road, which will take you
to Trona on Highway 178. The "company town" of Trona, where trona
(potash) is made, is very interesting. This route will let you bypass
Ridgecrest and save many minutes of driving, although you'll miss
Redrock Canyon (best at dawn and late afternoon). You'll pass the Trona
Pinnacles on your right a few miles before you reach Trona - they are a
some miles away on a dirt road, and you'll be able to see them from
Highway 178.

From Trona, continue north to the Panamint Valley on the Trona Wildrose
Road. Watch for low flying jets. You'll see massive Telescope Peak to
the east. You'll reach the junction of Trona-Wildrose Road and Panamint
Valley Road; go left on Panamint Valley Road, unless you've got lots of
time and good tires - the road to Wildrose is rough and washes out.

At Highway 190 hang a right, go up over the Panamints, and down into
Death Valley proper. The road up into the Panamints is spectacular -
very steep, colorful rock, and views back to the crest of the snow-clad
Sierra Nevada mountains (you can probably forget about going to
Horseshoe Meadow and Whitney Portal - too much snow - check road
conditions - on rare occasion snow closes 190, which climbs up over
Towne Pass).

You'll reach Stovepipe Wells, two miles shy of the best place to
photograph the giant sand dunes; Furnace Creek is about 30 more miles to
the southeast from Stovepipe Wells.

Come back through the southern end of the Valley on 178, and go south
through Shoshone and Tecopa on Highway 127, where you'll find trailer
parks, hot springs, and the remarkable and beautiful China Gardens date
farm. The owners are friendly and very interesting. No telling what'll
happen if you hang around and profess genuine, but not intrusive,
interest. Then you can continue to Baker and home on I-15.

Have a good map, no matter what route you take, and have fun.

Dave Wyman

--
Image Quest Photography Tours
Family Adventure Tours

http://www.davewyman.com

Dave

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
Dave;

That is a beautiful route. Every years I photograph a bike race that goes that
exact route. The whole route starts by Magic Mountain and ends in 29 Palms, 508
Miles, The Furnace Creek 508. I've traveled that route many times and there are
some excellent photo ops. From scenery to old mine and mining towns.

Dave Nelson

In article <38C0CB78...@bigfoot.com>, mt....@bigfoot.com says...

Rick Ellis

Mar 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/6/00
In article <Nj1w4.1576$Pq3.1...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
<JOH...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Anyone ever driven from Los Angeles to Death Valley ? I am leaving
>Sunday to go there for a workshop and I'm debating which route might
>be better, I 15 to Baker and then north or CA 395 to Olancha and then
>east....any suggestions or thoughts....?

Why not both?

--
http://www.fnet.net/~ellis/photo/

Dan Smith, Photographer

Mar 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/6/00
Go North on 395 to Big Pine and in by way of the dirt road that goes past
Uebehebe crater & back out by way of the racetrack and Saline Valley. It is
quite a ride.

Rick Ellis <el...@ftel.net> wrote in message

GT

Mar 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/7/00
That dirt road was closed by the county last time I was there (about 3 weeks
ago) because of some rain damage. The ranger said it was probably ok to
travel with a good 4x4. Still, it may be a few weeks before it's officially
open again.

Guy

"Dan Smith, Photographer" <sho...@brigham.net> wrote in message

Rick Ellis

Mar 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/7/00
In article <8a28is$rl8$1...@k2.vii.com>,

Dan Smith, Photographer <sho...@brigham.net> wrote:

>Go North on 395 to Big Pine and in by way of the dirt road that goes past
>Uebehebe crater & back out by way of the racetrack and Saline Valley. It is
>quite a ride.

Quite a ride is right ;)

--
http://www.fnet.net/~ellis/photo/

HJ...@aol.com

Mar 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/8/00
From DejaNews Archive:

Here's a report of a Death Valley National Park trip taken during the
'97 Thanksgiving week. Thanks to those who provided pointers. Hope it
can beuseful to future visitors.

Reference material:
- "Adventuring in the California Deserts" by Lynne Foster: Excellent
coverage of the Park and surrounding area, sprinkled with photo hints.
- "California Desert Byways" by Tony Huegel: Description of unpaved
roads.
- Sunrise and sunset sheet from DVNP: Popular locations listed as
silhouette or oblique points.

campground in Furnace Creek. Temperature 70s to 40s, skies partial
cloudy to full sun. Description limited to locations within an hour's
drive from the campground, in a regular vehicle.

Sand Dunes near Stovepipe Wells: The big dunes were very photogenic, IF
not marred by footprints. Hiked for miles looking for dunes sans
footprints, but came up empty. Resorted to shooting from a distance.
From Stovepipe Wells, a short drive up Mosaic Canyon Road yielded good
views. But the sunlight hitting the dunes directly from the west was
flat. A better vista point is from Grotto Canyon Road: a short but rough
climbing dirt road that is not well marked (across from the big dunes
viewing area, off 190). Along this road at varying elevations, different
perspectives of the dunes with distant mountain ranges in the background
can be captured. Side lighting was good for both sunrise and sunset.
Most shots were taken with 100mm to 300mm range lenses. A warming filter
would help cut down the blue cast from the morning light. Watch out for
the telephone poles. According to another photog, the big dunes were
pristine during his previous visit. Probably swept clean by winds. So
YMMV. A park ranger suggested the Eureka dunes, which were a couple of
hours away, and more off the beaten path.

Golden Canyon: The last trail marker was reached after a mile hike into
the narrow canyon. There the trail forked to the left and right, and the
Red Cathedral and the Manly Beacon rose in front of you. Look for small
trails ascending the canyon walls. Took one on the right that was short
but quite steep. From the top of the bluff, the view was unobstructed by
the canyon walls. The challenge was getting everything into one frame
(hint: need your widest angle). The setting sun hit the mountains
straight on, casting few shadows. Then the Photo Gods smiled: a couple
of hikers appeared on a distant ridge, providing a much needed scaling
detail. Unless a silhouette effect is desired, this is a sunset
location.

Zabriskie Point: Scouted the location one evening before a sunrise
shoot. From the viewing area, waited an hour for the setting sun to peek
through the low clouds. Rewarded with golden mountain ranges and
colorful high clouds to the east. After sundown, towards the west, Manly
Beacon was a silhouette in the afterglow skies. Shooting sunrise here
was quite tricky. As the sun climbed, different features in the
landscape got lit up at different times. Had to make quick composition
decisions to switch between isolated lit up areas and panoramic views.

Twenty Mule Canyon: Winding dirt road offering many views of rock
formations and mountain peaks.
Artists' Palette: Colorful rock formations, facing west.
Badwater: Small pool of water with mountain reflections.
Dante' View: Panoramic views in all directions.
Death Valley Junction: In the middle of the desert, a funky hotel with
wall murals and an active opera house.
Coyote (surprise): At the big sand dunes viewing area, a coyote circled
each stopping vehicle for handouts and would get within five feet of
people. A ranger said it would probably be shot for fear of it
eventually biting someone.

Other Pointers:
- A high clearance vehicle would be most desirable for exploring the off
the beaten path unpaved roads.
- At this time of the year, the sun can disappear behind the high
mountains by 4:00 p.m.
- The abundant spectacular views can create a photo op overload. It is
easy toend up with me-too kind of shots, or become jaded. Need to slow
down.

On route side trips:
- Bristlecone Pine Forest: The road to the Schulman Grove was still
open. Upon arrival, the setting sun hid behind the low clouds, and the
howling wind shortened the visit.
- Mount Whitney: From Lone Pine, took a pre-dawn ten minute drive up the
Whitney-Portal Road to the Movie Flat Road (where numerous westerns were
filmed). Mount Whitney's peaks glowed in the morning rays. Looped back
to Lone Pine on Lubkin Canyon Road. Still some foliage color left. This
area is loaded with photo ops, and deserves a return visit.
- Keeler: A speckle of a desert town 20 miles from Lone Pine on 190.
Creative front yard decorations.
- Cerro Gordo Ghost Town: Reached by a torturous eight mile dirt road
starting from across Keeler. A white knuckles drive: narrow, s-t-e-e-p
hairpin turns, and many sections single lane. Spectacular panoramic
views along the way. Not much of a ghost town at the end of the road,
compared to Bodie. But definitely more atmospheric, with not a, eh,
ghost around.

This report got much longer than intended. Until the next trip...