Re: Creating a Time-Lapse Movie from Digital Stills

Message has been deleted

d.sorensen

Feb 21, 2009, 12:16:34 AM2/21/09
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 18:39:19 -0500, M-M <nospa...@ny.more> wrote:

>I made a movie of trees changing through the 4 seasons by taking stills
>of the same scene during the year. I used Photoshop Elements to align
>the layers and iMovie to make the transitions.
>
>I think the result is interesting- 4 seasons in 30 seconds. Comments
>welcome:
>
>http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/tl/tl.html
>
>You will need the Quicktime plugin to make it work, I believe.

7 or 9 frames dissolving in a slide-show isn't true "time-lapse"
photography, unless used for a movie clip shorter than 1 second. Nice idea
but it would have been much more interesting if it was true time-lapse.
Then you'd face the challenges of all time-lapse photographers, changing
lighting conditions from hour to hour, day to day. You could have saved a
ton of bandwidth if you just uploaded your few frames for each "movie" into
any number of freeware "slideshow" or screensaver apps with the same
dissolve effect.

You also missed including snow and winter shots in slide-show 1. It would
have provided much more contrast between them. Technically, you're only
portraying 3 seasons in that slide-show, spring to fall. 9 frames in 9
months? The second slide-show denoting even less seasonal change than that,
only the late part of 1 autumn season to first snow. Judging by how many
leaves are on the shrub and the late colors, I'd say the second slide-show
is only showing about a week in autumn. 7 frames, 7 days. I doubt the
advertised 3 weeks, unless you waited that long after the 6th shot for the
first snow.

M-M

Feb 21, 2009, 8:36:18 AM2/21/09
In article <m62vp41ppmtr0k7fd...@4ax.com>,
d.sorensen <dsor...@spambegone.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 18:39:19 -0500, M-M <nospa...@ny.more> wrote:
>
> >I made a movie of trees changing through the 4 seasons by taking stills
> >of the same scene during the year. I used Photoshop Elements to align
> >the layers and iMovie to make the transitions.
> >
> >I think the result is interesting- 4 seasons in 30 seconds. Comments
> >welcome:
> >
> >http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/tl/tl.html
> >
> >You will need the Quicktime plugin to make it work, I believe.
>
> 7 or 9 frames dissolving in a slide-show isn't true "time-lapse"
> photography, unless used for a movie clip shorter than 1 second. Nice idea
> but it would have been much more interesting if it was true time-lapse.
> Then you'd face the challenges of all time-lapse photographers, changing
> lighting conditions from hour to hour, day to day. You could have saved a
> ton of bandwidth if you just uploaded your few frames for each "movie" into
> any number of freeware "slideshow" or screensaver apps with the same
> dissolve effect.

Any dissolve effect multiplies the number of frames and the bandwidth
increases proportionately. The movie is 40 sec (not 30- I'll correct
that) at 30 frames/sec. That's 1200 frames taking a bit over 5 MB. I
don't see how you can get it smaller without making it choppy or overly
compressed.

> You also missed including snow and winter shots in slide-show 1. It would
> have provided much more contrast between them. Technically, you're only
> portraying 3 seasons in that slide-show, spring to fall. 9 frames in 9
> months?

The first frame was taken last week, in February. There are definitely 4
seasons portrayed.

> The second slide-show denoting even less seasonal change than that,
> only the late part of 1 autumn season to first snow. Judging by how many
> leaves are on the shrub and the late colors, I'd say the second slide-show
> is only showing about a week in autumn. 7 frames, 7 days. I doubt the
> advertised 3 weeks, unless you waited that long after the 6th shot for the
> first snow.

It was 3 weeks. Shall I post the dates of each frame?

<sigh>

--
m-m
http://www.mhmyers.com

Justin C

Feb 21, 2009, 7:42:39 AM2/21/09
In article <nospam.m-m-921C9...@cpe-76-190-186-198.neo.res.rr.com>, M-M wrote:
> I made a movie of trees changing through the 4 seasons by taking stills
> of the same scene during the year. I used Photoshop Elements to align
> the layers and iMovie to make the transitions.
>
> I think the result is interesting- 4 seasons in 30 seconds. Comments
> welcome:
>
> http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/tl/tl.html

More images, shorter frame length, same length movie.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

Daniel

Feb 21, 2009, 5:16:54 PM2/21/09
"M-M" <nospa...@ny.more> wrote in message

>I made a movie of trees changing through the 4 seasons by taking stills
> of the same scene during the year. I used Photoshop Elements to align
> the layers and iMovie to make the transitions.
>
> I think the result is interesting- 4 seasons in 30 seconds. Comments
> welcome:
>
> http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/tl/tl.html
>

> You will need the Quicktime plugin to make it work, I believe.

Reminds me of something I saw on Vimeo:
http://www.vimeo.com/2773102

Details are on the following link:
http://eirikso.com/2008/12/27/one-year-worth-of-images-give-some-amazing-videos/

I like the 40 years in 10 seconds morph BTW.

George Kerby

Feb 22, 2009, 10:39:51 AM2/22/09

On 2/20/09 5:39 PM, in article
<nospa...@ny.more> wrote:

> I made a movie of trees changing through the 4 seasons by taking stills
> of the same scene during the year. I used Photoshop Elements to align
> the layers and iMovie to make the transitions.
>
> I think the result is interesting- 4 seasons in 30 seconds. Comments
> welcome:
>
> http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/tl/tl.html
>
> You will need the Quicktime plugin to make it work, I believe.

Thanks! That was well worth the patience that it took to produce. I
congratulate you on that.

Paul Furman

Feb 23, 2009, 3:30:53 AM2/23/09

I like that look, same as the OP, I prefer the faster version... from
your link with details:

"At the top of this article you find a 40 second version that show one
year. Using the 10mm wide angle images. Right above you find a two
minute version made from the 55mm zoomed in images.

First I used Photomatix to make HDR images of the ones I decided to use.
Mostly because the HDR effect makes the images flat so that the
difference in light and shadows won’t disturb the transitions in my video."

www.edgehill.net
www.baynatives.com