The sponge tool in Photoshop

Brian

Jun 22, 2009, 8:55:14 AM6/22/09
I'm using photoshop elements 7.
I understand what the Dodge and Burn tools do and have used them often
to improve a photo but it's not clear what the Sponge tool does.
How what the sponge tool be used to improve a photo?

Regards Brian

tony cooper

Jun 22, 2009, 9:31:36 AM6/22/09

The sponge tool either increases or decreases the saturation of color
on a selective basis. You use it on a small area of an image where
you want the color to be a bit different to emphasize or de-emphasize
that area. It's not a precise tool.

I've used it where the photograph is of something reflective and the
reflection picks up the color of the background or something around it
on the edge or in some small place. I'll desaturate that reflective
spot. I've never had occasion to use it to increase saturation.

There's no rule that says "Use the sponge here". This kind of change
can be done in several ways, and you try the various tools to see
which works best for the individual situation.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

John McWilliams

Jun 22, 2009, 11:04:18 AM6/22/09

There are groups for Photoshop and PSE questions.

--
John McWilliams

John Navas

Jun 22, 2009, 12:05:47 PM6/22/09
On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 08:04:18 -0700, John McWilliams <jp...@comcast.net>
wrote in <h1o6ki$a4f$1...@news.eternal-september.org>:

Notably the Adobe Forums
<http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop_elements>

--
Best regards,
John (Panasonic DMC-FZ28, and several others)

Bob Williams

Jun 22, 2009, 5:12:47 PM6/22/09
As Tony said, it is a selective saturation tool.
I have used it to INCREASE saturation of color in flowers that were
slightly washed out. The effect can be pretty subtle for a single pass
of your brush, but the more you drag the brush, the more pronounced the
effect.
If the subject is easily selectable, I usually end up using the LEVEL or
the CURVES adjustment tool. It is easier to go back and forth while
watching the effect change........That's just me though.
Bob Williams

Brian

Jun 22, 2009, 9:48:37 PM6/22/09
tony cooper <tony_co...@earthlink.net> wrote:

Thanks Tony.
I tried the Photoshop Elements help but there is not much information.
How do you switch it from increasing saturation to decreasing
saturation? I can now see that it is useful for toning down bright
colours that catch the eye.

Regards Brian

tony cooper

Jun 22, 2009, 10:51:02 PM6/22/09

Look at the tool bar at the top where it says "Mode". It can be set
to either saturate or desaturate. The flow (amount of either) can be
set.

Google for "Elements tutorial (tool)" and insert the tool you want to
learn about. Follow the tutorials.

Brian

Jun 23, 2009, 8:07:22 PM6/23/09
Bob Williams <mytbob...@cox.net> wrote:

Thanks Bob.
The sponge tool sounds like just the thing I need to desaturate faces
so that the skin tones look correct.

Regards Brian

dave

Jun 27, 2009, 5:57:07 PM6/27/09
Yes, you certainly need to do this with Elements, their built in help is
pretty lame. Fortunately there is a wealth of information in both books
(try you local library) and on-line tutorials.
Dave Cohen

John Navas

Jun 30, 2009, 12:21:33 PM6/30/09
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 17:57:07 -0400, dave <exa...@example.net> wrote in
<h264jk$3m8$1...@news.motzarella.org>:

>tony cooper wrote:

>> Google for "Elements tutorial (tool)" and insert the tool you want to
>> learn about. Follow the tutorials.
>>
>Yes, you certainly need to do this with Elements, their built in help is

>pretty lame. ...

Actually, click Help > Online Learning Resources, which opens:
<http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/photoshopelements/articles/tutorial_index.html>