Help with date problem.

Ron Hunter

Mar 19, 2009, 7:34:17 PM3/19/09
My wife took a lot of pictures today, and I was moving them to the HD
when I noticed that she had the date and year, as well as the time,
incorrectly set. Now I have the time and date in the EXIF data in
error, as well as the Windows file date being the same.

It doesn't look like Exifer will be useful for this problem. Anyone
have a program that will correct this problem. It seems like something
that could happen often.

Ron

nospam

Mar 19, 2009, 8:39:27 PM3/19/09

Ron Hunter

Mar 19, 2009, 8:19:25 PM3/19/09
Thanks. Have downloaded, and will give it a try.

Ron Hunter

Mar 19, 2009, 8:32:52 PM3/19/09

Sigh.

I am not inclined to try to decipher a command line interface, given the
nature of such interfaces when combined with a person who doesn't type
very well, and who is unfamiliar with the program. I am sure that the
program would do what I want, but trying to figure it out is more work
than this is worth.

YDOD

Mar 19, 2009, 9:49:41 PM3/19/09
ACDsee pro 2.5 has a batch process to fix this problem. I haven't tried this
feature but the program does other things well.
Mike
"Ron Hunter" <rphu...@charter.net> wrote in message

jimbok

Mar 19, 2009, 11:57:17 PM3/19/09
On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 18:34:17 -0500, Ron Hunter <rphu...@charter.net>
wrote:

EXIFeditor has a GUI and can change EXIF dates/times (or other tags),
singly or in batch. It's freeware. The down side is that it requires
NET framework 2.0 or higher to run.
An advanced version, now named METAeditor is also available as
freeware, but requires NET framework 3.0.

See them here

http://www.kiwiczech.net/

--
jimbok

jimbok

Mar 20, 2009, 12:05:25 AM3/20/09
On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 23:57:17 -0400, jimbok
<jimkel...@frontiernet.net> wrote:

>EXIFeditor has a GUI and can change EXIF dates/times (or other tags),
>singly or in batch. It's freeware. The down side is that it requires
>NET framework 2.0 or higher to run.
>An advanced version, now named METAeditor is also available as
>freeware, but requires NET framework 3.0.
>
>See them here
>
>http://www.kiwiczech.net/

I should have added that if you are running Vista, .NET framework 3.0
is built in to it. If you have XP you'll have to download a free copy
of NET 3.0/3.5 from Microsoft, unless you alteady have. : )

--
jimbok

David J Taylor

Mar 20, 2009, 4:23:04 AM3/20/09

Ron,

I think that PIE (Picture Information Extractor) will do that:

http://www.picmeta.com/

Select the images, and use the Metadata, Adjust Date Picture Taken....
option.

Never used that function myself, mind.

Cheers,
David

nospam

Mar 20, 2009, 5:37:26 AM3/20/09
In article <9fadnTbSR4uoeV_U...@giganews.com>, Ron Hunter
<rphu...@charter.net> wrote:

there's a windows gui wrapper for it, but i've never tried it and i
don't know if it exposes the full functionality of it (my guess is that
it doesn't). and if i recall, one of the examples in the help does
exactly what you need.

Ron Hunter

Mar 20, 2009, 6:40:14 AM3/20/09

If so, I didn't find it. It seems like such a simple, and 'likely'
problem, I am surprised it is so difficult to find a quick, easy, free,
fix for it. Still looking, but thanks for trying.
I guess I will have to check the time/date in our cameras more often.
Mine won't even extend the lens until the time/date is set after a
battery change. My wife's seems to retain the time/date, and so doesn't
hold up progress that way, but then is subject to having the wrong date
stay in there for a while.

nospam

Mar 20, 2009, 7:06:52 PM3/20/09
In article <M-WdneNafvIT717U...@giganews.com>, Ron Hunter
<rphu...@charter.net> wrote:

> >> I am not inclined to try to decipher a command line interface, given the
> >> nature of such interfaces when combined with a person who doesn't type
> >> very well, and who is unfamiliar with the program. I am sure that the
> >> program would do what I want, but trying to figure it out is more work
> >> than this is worth.
> >
> > there's a windows gui wrapper for it, but i've never tried it and i
> > don't know if it exposes the full functionality of it (my guess is that
> > it doesn't). and if i recall, one of the examples in the help does
> > exactly what you need.
>
> If so, I didn't find it. It seems like such a simple, and 'likely'
> problem, I am surprised it is so difficult to find a quick, easy, free,
> fix for it. Still looking, but thanks for trying.

try this:
<http://freeweb.siol.net/hrastni3/foto/exif/exiftoolgui.htm>

it looks like it can do a time shift.

Ron Hunter

Mar 21, 2009, 3:57:09 AM3/21/09

The GUI for exiftool did the job. Now I have good dates for the files.
Thanks to everyone who replied.

Ron