can't access printer's memory card from windows explorer

Alex

Nov 18, 2008, 3:08:25 PM11/18/08
Hi all,

I am using an EPSON DX7450 all-in-one printer which is connected via
USB cable to my wireless router. My router is connected to my pc via a
LAN cable and also to the cable modem. My laptop connects to the
internet and the printer wirelessly via the router. Printing and
internet works fine on pc as well as laptop. When I insert my digital
camera's memory card into the printer's slot, normally I should be
able to access this memory card through my pc's "windows explorer"
where it should say "removable media". However, my memory card doesn't
show up. Printing pictures from the memory card by using the printer's
buttons works too but I can't access the memory card folders in
windows.
How can I access the contents of my memory card in windows xp home's
"my computer" ?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Alex

J. Clarke

Nov 18, 2008, 4:23:50 PM11/18/08

A USB port on a wireless router requires that the designer make
assumptions about what is to be connected to it. Obviously this one
wasn't designed to deal with anything but a printer.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Alex

Nov 18, 2008, 6:15:59 PM11/18/08

Thanks John, that seems straightforward. What if I connect my printer
via USB to my pc i.s.o. the router? I know all printer functions will
work from my pc in that case but will my laptop - which connects
wirelessly to the router - still be able to communicate with my
printer?

Matt Ion

Nov 19, 2008, 2:11:19 AM11/19/08

That should solve all your problems, and yes, your laptop will still be
able to see the printer, but you'll have to perform a couple extra
steps... namely, sharing the printer from your desktop, and then
connecting the laptop to that share.

Alex

Nov 20, 2008, 1:18:44 PM11/20/08

If I connect my printer to my pc, I assume my pc has to be on even
though I'm printing from my laptop, or not?

To share the printer from my desktop, is it simply by going to
"control panel - printers and faxes" then right-click on the printer
icon and select properties, "share" tab and select the option to share
the printer with a share name such as for example EPSON and that's it?