Re: Trick Kodak z1285s to recharge regular rechargable batteries?

1 view
Message has been deleted

John Turco

Jun 1, 2009, 1:51:33 AM6/1/09
Evan Platt wrote:

> I bought a Kodak z1285s digital camera, and just ordered the easyshare
> dock. If this is anything like my old Kodak and easyshare I had, the
> dock will only recharge the Kodak battery packs - the packs have 2
> tabs on them.
>
> Well I guess I can confirm once I get the easyshare dock, but does
> anyone know a trick to trick the camera into charging regular
> rechargables in the easyshare cameras?
>
> Looks like the pack hits / pushes two switches inside the camera... :(
>
> Thanks.
>
> Evan

Hello, Evan:

Such a method is mentioned, on this Web page:

Amazon.com: John Reed's review of Kodak EasyShare Camera Dock Kit
"Dock won't recharge AA batteries - no Kodak support manual."
<http://www.amazon.com/review/R3H3HJELXLBBM5>

Here's an excerpt, from it:

R. Thompson says:

<edited>

"Open the battery door in the camera and look between where the
batteries go, there is a little plastic thing that slides down
into the battery compartment. Just wrap a pair of NiMh batteries
with a layer of black tape around them both to hold them together,
this tape will push that little slider down in the compartment
and allow the charger to work."

<edited>

(I've never attempted it, myself, though.)

Good luck!

Cordially,
John Turco <jt...@concentric.net>

Message has been deleted

Bob Larter

Jun 2, 2009, 4:57:31 AM6/2/09
Evan Platt wrote:

> The other thing I'm thinking is these are lithium ions, and the
> charger that came with them is a lithium ion charger. From what I
> understand, charging LiIon cells in a charger likely designed to
> charged NiCd or NiMH may not really charge the liion cells?

Not only will your NiCad/NiMH charger not charge your Li-Ion cells, it
might actually make them explode. DO NOT PUT BATTERIES IN A CHARGER THAT
IS NOT DESIGNED FOR THEM!

John Turco

Jun 4, 2009, 1:46:20 AM6/4/09
Evan Platt wrote:

> On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 00:51:33 -0500, John Turco <jt...@concentric.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Hello, Evan:
> >
> >Such a method is mentioned, on this Web page:
> >
> > Amazon.com: John Reed's review of Kodak EasyShare Camera Dock Kit
> > "Dock won't recharge AA batteries - no Kodak support manual."
> > <http://www.amazon.com/review/R3H3HJELXLBBM5>
> >
> >Here's an excerpt, from it:
> >
> > R. Thompson says:
> >
> > <edited>
> >
> > "Open the battery door in the camera and look between where the
> > batteries go, there is a little plastic thing that slides down
> > into the battery compartment. Just wrap a pair of NiMh batteries
> > with a layer of black tape around them both to hold them together,
> > this tape will push that little slider down in the compartment
> > and allow the charger to work."
> >
> > <edited>
> >
> >(I've never attempted it, myself, though.)
> >
> >Good luck!
>
> Thanks. I'll take a look. The cells I bought, CRV3, look like
> binoculars - flat on top, and 'round' on the bottom. And where it
> looks like I should put some black tape around, looks like there's
> already tape so to speak around. I'm kinda guessing it needs more
> than just black tape to work.

> The other thing I'm thinking is these are lithium ions, and the
> charger that came with them is a lithium ion charger. From what I
> understand, charging LiIon cells in a charger likely designed to
> charged NiCd or NiMH may not really charge the liion cells?

Hello, Evan:

My own Kodak AA packs (e.g., KAA2HR) are of the Ni-MH type, I should
add.

Also, putting Li-Ion batteries into any charger, other than one that's
expressly made to accept them, is not only counterproductive, it's
extremely dangerous -- as explosions can even ensue!

Just a word to the wise, eh? ;-)

Cordially,
John Turco <jt...@concentric.net>

John Turco

Jun 4, 2009, 1:46:27 AM6/4/09
Bob Larter wrote:

> Evan Platt wrote:
> >
> > The other thing I'm thinking is these are lithium ions, and the
> > charger that came with them is a lithium ion charger. From what I
> > understand, charging LiIon cells in a charger likely designed to
> > charged NiCd or NiMH may not really charge the liion cells?
>
> Not only will your NiCad/NiMH charger not charge your Li-Ion cells, it
> might actually make them explode. DO NOT PUT BATTERIES IN A CHARGER THAT
> IS NOT DESIGNED FOR THEM!

Hello, Bob:

Very sage advice, indeed!

Cordially,
John Turco <jt...@concentric.net>

Message has been deleted

John Turco

Jun 7, 2009, 12:02:11 AM6/7/09
Evan Platt wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 00:46:20 -0500, John Turco <jt...@concentric.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Hello, Evan:
> >

> >My own Kodak AA packs (e.g., KAA2HR) are of the Ni-MH type, I should
> >add.
>
> Yeah, I've got a few of those - 1800 mah NiMh.

> >Also, putting Li-Ion batteries into any charger, other than one that's
> >expressly made to accept them, is not only counterproductive, it's
> >extremely dangerous -- as explosions can even ensue!
> >
> >Just a word to the wise, eh? ;-)
>
> Ok.. appreciate the advise. I think I'll follow that.
>
> Before I go and buy more - is a 1800 mah LiIon a real big enough
> advantage over a 1800 mah NiMH?
>
> I have a few 1800 mah NiMh's and the easyshare dock, and just bought 2
> 1800 mah LiOn's with the seperate charger. If there's a good enough
> advantage with LiIOn's, I'll get a few more...
>
> Thanks. :)

Hello, Evan:

If your Ni-MH and Li-Ion packs are of the same "form factor" (e.g., AA)
and mAh rating, then, there's no major "advantage" to Li-Ion, whatsoever.

In fact, all things being equal (as they >are<, in your specific case),
Ni-MH is better, as it has a significantly greater "shelf life" than
Li-Ion does.

Cordially,
John Turco <jt...@concentric.net>

David J Taylor

Jun 7, 2009, 1:31:05 AM6/7/09
John Turco wrote:
[]

> Hello, Evan:
>
> If your Ni-MH and Li-Ion packs are of the same "form factor" (e.g.,
> AA) and mAh rating, then, there's no major "advantage" to Li-Ion,
> whatsoever.
>
> In fact, all things being equal (as they >are<, in your specific
> case), Ni-MH is better, as it has a significantly greater "shelf
> life" than Li-Ion does.
>

> Cordially,
> John Turco <jt...@concentric.net>

More correctly, Li-ion has a finite life whether used or not. However, in
terms of being ready-to-use, Li-ion does not have the high self-discharge
characteristic of most NiMH cells, so you are less likely to pick up cells
(which you thought were fully charged) after a couple of months and find
they have only a fraction of their rated capacity. On the other hand, one
NiMH type - Sanyo "eneloop" cells and copies - do not have this problem,
although they tend to have slightly less capacity.

David

John Turco

Jun 11, 2009, 1:27:55 AM6/11/09

Hello, David:

Yes, but, the original poster (Evan Platt) owns a Kodak "EasyShare" digicam
and dock. The latter will keep his Kodak Ni-MH battery pack "fully charged,"
in-camera.

Cordially,
John Turco <jt...@concentric.net>

David J Taylor

Jun 11, 2009, 2:35:26 AM6/11/09
John Turco wrote:
[]

> Hello, David:
>
> Yes, but, the original poster (Evan Platt) owns a Kodak "EasyShare"
> digicam and dock. The latter will keep his Kodak Ni-MH battery pack
> "fully charged," in-camera.
>

> Cordially,
> John Turco <jt...@concentric.net>

Presumably, John, only if the camera is in the dock, and the dock is
powered. Do people routinely do that? I would have thought it a fire
risk, if nothing else, and something which uses unnecessary
electricity....

Cheers,
David

John Turco

Jun 14, 2009, 3:51:35 AM6/14/09
David J Taylor wrote:

> John Turco wrote:
> []
> > Hello, David:
> >
> > Yes, but, the original poster (Evan Platt) owns a Kodak "EasyShare"
> > digicam and dock. The latter will keep his Kodak Ni-MH battery pack
> > "fully charged," in-camera.
>

> Presumably, John, only if the camera is in the dock, and the dock is
> powered. Do people routinely do that? I would have thought it a fire
> risk, if nothing else, and something which uses unnecessary
> electricity....
>
> Cheers,
> David

Hello, David:

Well, I do charge my various Kodak digicams, on their respective
docks (of which I own three different models). Afterward, I soon
put them back into their carrying cases.

Regardless, you're correct in thinking that a camera shouldn't be
left mounted on its dock, indefinitely.

Cordially,
John Turco <jt...@concentric.net>

David J Taylor

Jun 14, 2009, 5:27:42 AM6/14/09
John Turco wrote:
[]
> Hello, David:
>
> Well, I do charge my various Kodak digicams, on their respective
> docks (of which I own three different models). Afterward, I soon
> put them back into their carrying cases.
>
> Regardless, you're correct in thinking that a camera shouldn't be
> left mounted on its dock, indefinitely.
>

> Cordially,
> John Turco <jt...@concentric.net>

John,

I must confess that I probably treat batteries in the worst way possible.
Immediate I return "home" (whatever that might mean on any particular
photographic day), I charge the batteries. This stores them fully
charged, which may not be the best. Then, in spite of using Li-Ion and
eneloop NiMH, I charge those /before/ going out! Both the main batteries
and the spares. I've never had a camera which needed a dock, though,
always batteries or cells you could remove.

Oh, well!

Cheers,
David

John Turco

Jun 18, 2009, 12:14:20 AM6/18/09
David J Taylor wrote:

> John Turco wrote:
> []
> > Hello, David:
> >
> > Well, I do charge my various Kodak digicams, on their respective
> > docks (of which I own three different models). Afterward, I soon
> > put them back into their carrying cases.
> >
> > Regardless, you're correct in thinking that a camera shouldn't be
> > left mounted on its dock, indefinitely.
>
> John,
>
> I must confess that I probably treat batteries in the worst way possible.
> Immediate I return "home" (whatever that might mean on any particular
> photographic day), I charge the batteries. This stores them fully
> charged, which may not be the best. Then, in spite of using Li-Ion and
> eneloop NiMH, I charge those /before/ going out! Both the main batteries
> and the spares. I've never had a camera which needed a dock, though,
> always batteries or cells you could remove.
>
> Oh, well!
>
> Cheers,
> David

Hello, David:

Kodak's "EasyShare" docks are intended for convenience, mainly. They're not
truly "needed," as the cameras' battery packs/cells are always removable.

Cordially,
John Turco <jt...@concentric.net>

David J Taylor

Jun 18, 2009, 2:17:02 AM6/18/09
John Turco wrote:
[]
> Hello, David:
>
> Kodak's "EasyShare" docks are intended for convenience, mainly.
> They're not truly "needed," as the cameras' battery packs/cells are
> always removable.
>

> Cordially,
> John Turco <jt...@concentric.net>

Interesting, John. I had always been put off such cameras because of the
dock (and the poor reputation of the software). I would still look at
Panasonic first were I in the market for something other than a DSLR.

David

John Turco

Jun 22, 2009, 4:19:29 AM6/22/09
David J Taylor wrote:

> John Turco wrote:
> []
> > Hello, David:
> >
> > Kodak's "EasyShare" docks are intended for convenience, mainly.
> > They're not truly "needed," as the cameras' battery packs/cells are
> > always removable.
>

> Interesting, John. I had always been put off such cameras because of the
> dock (and the poor reputation of the software). I would still look at
> Panasonic first were I in the market for something other than a DSLR.
>
> David

Hello, David:

Yes, I no longer install Kodak's "EasyShare" program, anymore, as it had proved
to be slightly flaky and something of a resource hog.

The primary reason that I >ever< bothered with it, at all, was its capability
of displaying and editing the proprietary RAW files (with the KDC extention),
created by my P850. (I almost never shoot RAW, so, it was no huge loss.)

In recent years, I've occasionally used Kodak's "Camera Connection" software,
to copy images from digicams, to my computer (because, at times, I tire of
removing the SD card and placing it into a reader). A dock is unnecessary,
as a direct USB connection is established, instead.

Cordially,
John Turco <jt...@concentric.net>

David J Taylor

Jun 22, 2009, 4:54:59 AM6/22/09
John Turco wrote:
[]
> Hello, David:
>
> Yes, I no longer install Kodak's "EasyShare" program, anymore, as it
> had proved to be slightly flaky and something of a resource hog.
>
> The primary reason that I >ever< bothered with it, at all, was its
> capability of displaying and editing the proprietary RAW files (with
> the KDC extention), created by my P850. (I almost never shoot RAW,
> so, it was no huge loss.)
>
> In recent years, I've occasionally used Kodak's "Camera Connection"
> software, to copy images from digicams, to my computer (because, at
> times, I tire of removing the SD card and placing it into a reader).
> A dock is unnecessary,
> as a direct USB connection is established, instead.
>

> Cordially,
> John Turco <jt...@concentric.net>

Thanks for the insight, John. I've hardly ever used the USB connection
either, just put the SD card in a reader (either built into the PC or
separate).

Cheers,
David