The Ultimate Photo-Bag

Savageduck

May 13, 2009, 5:38:10 PM5/13/09
I was in town this morning and saw what one of our local "Pro"
photographers had parked outside his store in Paso Robles.

This is definitely what I would call the ultimate photo bag - no
excuses for leaving anything behind!

http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/JD-Devco1/index.html
--
Regards,
Savageduck

Alan Browne

May 13, 2009, 6:51:32 PM5/13/09

Very nice statement as a pro - the restored truck is an eye catcher.

Confident too - no phone number!

(is the ph# on the back of the truck?)

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

Savageduck

May 13, 2009, 7:45:04 PM5/13/09
On 2009-05-13 15:51:32 -0700, Alan Browne
<alan....@Freelunchvideotron.ca> said:

> Savageduck wrote:
>> I was in town this morning and saw what one of our local "Pro"
>> photographers had parked outside his store in Paso Robles.
>>
>> This is definitely what I would call the ultimate photo bag - no
>> excuses for leaving anything behind!
>>
>> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/JD-Devco1/index.html
>
> Very nice statement as a pro - the restored truck is an eye catcher.
>
> Confident too - no phone number!
>
> (is the ph# on the back of the truck?)

No phone number.
He has a web page, however the home page is not well laid out. the
navigation is not obvious at the bottom of the page.
Here is one of his galleries; http://www.jimmyde.com/fineart1.html

In one of the shots you can see his truck is parked in front of the
store front on 12th Street in Paso Robles.

--
Regards,
Savageduck

Savageduck

May 13, 2009, 7:50:01 PM5/13/09

Maybe I shouldn't have done him such a disservice and just posted this
link http://www.jimmyde.com/main.html

--
Regards,
Savageduck

C J Campbell

May 13, 2009, 7:50:33 PM5/13/09

Great restoration job. Does not look quite finished, yet. You could
have a whole portable photo booth in there!

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

TheRealSteve

May 13, 2009, 7:52:51 PM5/13/09

On Wed, 13 May 2009 18:51:32 -0400, Alan Browne
<alan....@Freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:

>Savageduck wrote:
>> I was in town this morning and saw what one of our local "Pro"
>> photographers had parked outside his store in Paso Robles.
>>
>> This is definitely what I would call the ultimate photo bag - no excuses
>> for leaving anything behind!
>>
>> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/JD-Devco1/index.html
>
>Very nice statement as a pro - the restored truck is an eye catcher.

There's a couple of companies around here still using those Divco
trucks. Hard to tell what year it is since they look pretty much the
same all the way until they stopped making them in 1986.

Steve

Savageduck

May 13, 2009, 8:05:51 PM5/13/09
On 2009-05-13 16:50:33 -0700, C J Campbell
<christophercam...@hotmail.com> said:

It is a finished restoration and very good. I guess my shots don't do
it justice.
I was impressed he kept the artwork subtle and did not go over the top.
I was just surprised to see it . I have lived in this area since 1986
and I am familiar with many of the restored classic vehicles and
hotrods around here, and this was the first time I have seen this
Divco, and I pass this spot several times each week.
--
Regards,
Savageduck

Savageduck

May 13, 2009, 8:21:24 PM5/13/09

I did a little research and came up with this
http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Divco/

--
Regards,
Savageduck

Alan Browne

May 13, 2009, 8:48:52 PM5/13/09
Savageduck wrote:
> On 2009-05-13 15:51:32 -0700, Alan Browne
> <alan....@Freelunchvideotron.ca> said:
>
>> Savageduck wrote:
>>> I was in town this morning and saw what one of our local "Pro"
>>> photographers had parked outside his store in Paso Robles.
>>>
>>> This is definitely what I would call the ultimate photo bag - no
>>> excuses for leaving anything behind!
>>>
>>> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/JD-Devco1/index.html
>>
>> Very nice statement as a pro - the restored truck is an eye catcher.
>>
>> Confident too - no phone number!
>>
>> (is the ph# on the back of the truck?)
>
> No phone number.
> He has a web page, however the home page is not well laid out. the
> navigation is not obvious at the bottom of the page.
> Here is one of his galleries; http://www.jimmyde.com/fineart1.html

Definitely needs work (and WHAT? You were visiting a flash site!!!???)

> In one of the shots you can see his truck is parked in front of the
> store front on 12th Street in Paso Robles.

I did pick up on that ... but first I thought he was drumming up
business in the booze store next door...

Alan Browne

May 13, 2009, 8:54:37 PM5/13/09

Alan Browne

May 13, 2009, 8:56:37 PM5/13/09
You should send some of your phots to:

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/divco.htm

TheRealSteve

May 13, 2009, 8:56:53 PM5/13/09

On that page is a picture of a Rosenberger Dairy Divco. I still see
them driving around here making deliveries. They're not restored.
Just in constant use and maintained since they were new.

Steve

Joe Makowiec

May 13, 2009, 9:21:13 PM5/13/09
On 13 May 2009 in rec.photo.digital, Alan Browne wrote:

> Savageduck wrote:

>> Here is one of his galleries; http://www.jimmyde.com/fineart1.html
>
> Definitely needs work (and WHAT? You were visiting a flash site!!!???)

Nope, no Flash. It's a javascript technique called "Lightbox":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightbox_(JavaScript)

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

Alan Browne

May 13, 2009, 9:31:40 PM5/13/09
Joe Makowiec wrote:
> On 13 May 2009 in rec.photo.digital, Alan Browne wrote:
>
>> Savageduck wrote:
>
>>> Here is one of his galleries; http://www.jimmyde.com/fineart1.html
>> Definitely needs work (and WHAT? You were visiting a flash site!!!???)
>
> Nope, no Flash. It's a javascript technique called "Lightbox":
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightbox_(JavaScript)

I sit corrected.

Savageduck

May 13, 2009, 9:48:05 PM5/13/09
On 2009-05-13 17:48:52 -0700, Alan Browne
<alan....@Freelunchvideotron.ca> said:

> Savageduck wrote:
>> On 2009-05-13 15:51:32 -0700, Alan Browne
>> <alan....@Freelunchvideotron.ca> said:

>>> Very nice statement as a pro - the restored truck is an eye catcher.
>>>
>>> Confident too - no phone number!
>>>
>>> (is the ph# on the back of the truck?)
>>
>> No phone number.
>> He has a web page, however the home page is not well laid out. the
>> navigation is not obvious at the bottom of the page.
>> Here is one of his galleries; http://www.jimmyde.com/fineart1.html
>
> Definitely needs work (and WHAT? You were visiting a flash site!!!???)

I know! I know! Sad isn't it?

>> In one of the shots you can see his truck is parked in front of the
>> store front on 12th Street in Paso Robles.
>
> I did pick up on that ... but first I thought he was drumming up
> business in the booze store next door...

Well with the economy the way it is, it is good to have a pain killer
close at hand.

--
Regards,
Savageduck

Savageduck

May 13, 2009, 9:51:22 PM5/13/09
On 2009-05-13 18:21:13 -0700, Joe Makowiec <mako...@invalid.invalid> said:

> On 13 May 2009 in rec.photo.digital, Alan Browne wrote:
>
>> Savageduck wrote:
>
>>> Here is one of his galleries; http://www.jimmyde.com/fineart1.html
>>
>> Definitely needs work (and WHAT? You were visiting a flash site!!!???)
>
> Nope, no Flash. It's a javascript technique called "Lightbox":
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightbox_(JavaScript)

Thanks for that, it gets me off the Flash Mea Culpa.
--
Regards,
Savageduck

Frank ess

May 13, 2009, 11:00:54 PM5/13/09

Hachiroku ハチロク

May 13, 2009, 11:07:57 PM5/13/09

Darn you!

I just came here just now to ask a few questions, and I am also looking
for a decent camera bag!

My nym, in Japanese, means '8 6'. It refers to this:

http://www.driftinjapan.com/uploaded_images/ae86_12-797581.jpg

The model number is AE86. I Japan they're used as drift cars.
I am a car guy BIG TIME!

I also play in a band, and am looking for something unique to haul the
stuff around, and have been looking for a halfway decent Divco to do the
job!

Now look...I've started drooling again! ;p....

Savageduck

May 13, 2009, 11:36:25 PM5/13/09
On 2009-05-13 20:07:57 -0700, Hachiroku ハチロク <Tru...@e86.GTS> said:

> On Wed, 13 May 2009 14:38:10 -0700, Savageduck wrote:
>
>> I was in town this morning and saw what one of our local "Pro"
>> photographers had parked outside his store in Paso Robles.
>>
>> This is definitely what I would call the ultimate photo bag - no
>> excuses for leaving anything behind!
>>
>> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/JD-Devco1/index.html
>
> Darn you!
>
> I just came here just now to ask a few questions, and I am also looking
> for a decent camera bag!

If you are looking for a camera bag, the first thing is to match it in
size to the camera you have and vrious lenses and other stuff you want
or need to carry. You will find that many of us have more than one bag,
since there will be times you do not want to carry everything. At those
times a belt pack of some type will be more than adequate.
If you haven't got a bag before, it is probably best to go to your
local photography shop and see what they have. Compare types. You will
find backpacks, shoulder bags, slingbags and belt packs, they all serve
different purposes.
Remember, if you get something too big and load it up with everything
you own, you are more likely to leave it at home or in the car and not
have that other lens or flash handy when you really need it.
Good hunting.

> My nym, in Japanese, means '8 6'. It refers to this:
>
> http://www.driftinjapan.com/uploaded_images/ae86_12-797581.jpg
>
> The model number is AE86. I Japan they're used as drift cars.
> I am a car guy BIG TIME!

So here is my little run-around:
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/E350_0387-E2.jpg

> I also play in a band, and am looking for something unique to haul the
> stuff around, and have been looking for a halfway decent Divco to do the
> job!

You might start with some web searches, they must be out there.

> Now look...I've started drooling again! ;p....

--
Regards,
Savageduck

Savageduck

May 13, 2009, 11:56:52 PM5/13/09

At least everybody has been decent enough not to comment on my typo in
the web gallery, "DEVCO" vs. "DIVCO."
Fingers moving quicker than my brain!

--
Regards,
Savageduck

C J Campbell

May 14, 2009, 11:23:45 AM5/14/09

Maybe he would let you get some interior shots. I like the artwork,
too, for the same reason you do.

The reason it didn't look finished to me is that the name didn't look
complete, like he was going to add a last name or maybe contact
information. It probably matches his whole brand -- stationery,
business cards, delivery boxes, etc. The design is simple enough to be
easily embroidered on a shirt.

I could see some potential in a Divco. Some of them had refrigerated
bodies which would be well insulated to protect camera gear from heat
and cold. I would want to clear out everything in the cab, though, and
put real seats in it. Not that little folding seat that the milkman
used. And I probably would want a rear-view camera. Might be around
little kids a lot.

This would be great for wedding shoots.

Matt Clara

May 14, 2009, 11:41:21 AM5/14/09
"Savageduck" <savageduck1{REMOVESPAM}@me.com> wrote in message

Looks like a mobile studio--perfect for those not-so-shy teen girls!
;-)

Savageduck

May 14, 2009, 11:41:46 AM5/14/09
On 2009-05-14 08:23:45 -0700, C J Campbell
<christophercam...@hotmail.com> said:

> On 2009-05-13 17:05:51 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1{REMOVESPAM}@me.com> said:
>
>> On 2009-05-13 16:50:33 -0700, C J Campbell
>> <christophercam...@hotmail.com> said:

>>> Great restoration job. Does not look quite finished, yet. You could
>>> have a whole portable photo booth in there!
>>
>> It is a finished restoration and very good. I guess my shots don't do
>> it justice.
>> I was impressed he kept the artwork subtle and did not go over the top.
>> I was just surprised to see it . I have lived in this area since 1986
>> and I am familiar with many of the restored classic vehicles and
>> hotrods around here, and this was the first time I have seen this
>> Divco, and I pass this spot several times each week.
>
> Maybe he would let you get some interior shots. I like the artwork,
> too, for the same reason you do.

Well we are a small town, so I plan to drop in on him and let him know
his name has been spread globally. He now owes it to all of us to
expose that interior :-)

> The reason it didn't look finished to me is that the name didn't look
> complete, like he was going to add a last name or maybe contact
> information. It probably matches his whole brand -- stationery,
> business cards, delivery boxes, etc. The design is simple enough to be
> easily embroidered on a shirt.

Yes, if you look at the 3rd shot in the set you can see his storefront
on the right where the signature logo is repeated.

On close inspection you will see the finish of the art work in the
signature logo is exceptional. The understated effect is far a more
powerful means of attracting attention and oozes quality. In my
opinion very clever.
It drove me to see if he had a web presence.

> I could see some potential in a Divco. Some of them had refrigerated
> bodies which would be well insulated to protect camera gear from heat
> and cold. I would want to clear out everything in the cab, though, and
> put real seats in it. Not that little folding seat that the milkman
> used. And I probably would want a rear-view camera. Might be around
> little kids a lot.
>
> This would be great for wedding shoots.

He seems to have his hands full with studio work, weddings, model
shoots and his artwork, so better than hauling everything around in the
back of an SUV, trailer or pickup.

--
Regards,
Savageduck

tony cooper

May 14, 2009, 12:05:04 PM5/14/09

I was going to respond to the first post on this and mention that this
is a restored milk delivery truck, but I see you've found this out.

A similar truck delivered milk to our neighborhood. I can almost hear
that early-morning clanking noise the milkman made when he carried the
crates of bottles around.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

"mcdonaldREMOVE TO...@scs.uiuc.edu

May 14, 2009, 12:34:33 PM5/14/09
tony cooper wrote:

Oh ... I noticed your .sig, which does not appear in
quoted material.

Orlando, hmmm .... why are you using British definitions?

Doug McDonald

Hachiroku

May 14, 2009, 2:38:06 PM5/14/09
On Wed, 13 May 2009 20:36:25 -0700, Savageduck wrote:

> On 2009-05-13 20:07:57 -0700, Hachiroku ハチロク <Tru...@e86.GTS> said:
>
>> On Wed, 13 May 2009 14:38:10 -0700, Savageduck wrote:
>>
>>> I was in town this morning and saw what one of our local "Pro"
>>> photographers had parked outside his store in Paso Robles.
>>>
>>> This is definitely what I would call the ultimate photo bag - no
>>> excuses for leaving anything behind!
>>>
>>> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/JD-Devco1/index.html
>>
>> Darn you!
>>
>> I just came here just now to ask a few questions, and I am also looking
>> for a decent camera bag!
>
> If you are looking for a camera bag, the first thing is to match it in
> size to the camera you have and vrious lenses and other stuff you want
> or need to carry. You will find that many of us have more than one bag,
> since there will be times you do not want to carry everything. At those
> times a belt pack of some type will be more than adequate. If you
> haven't got a bag before, it is probably best to go to your local
> photography shop and see what they have. Compare types. You will find
> backpacks, shoulder bags, slingbags and belt packs, they all serve
> different purposes.
> Remember, if you get something too big and load it up with everything
> you own, you are more likely to leave it at home or in the car and not
> have that other lens or flash handy when you really need it. Good
> hunting.

I have a few bags, but I have more cameras than bags!
I have one one-camera bag for 3 cameras, and two two-camera bags when I
want to take more than one camera.

I get them at the Salvation Army for <$5. If you're patient, you can find
some good stuff there. I even bought a camera kit with a Ricoh KR-5
'student camera' (really good images and a great, forgiving camera to use
for 'snapshots'), lenses and flash for $15!

>> My nym, in Japanese, means '8 6'. It refers to this:
>>
>> http://www.driftinjapan.com/uploaded_images/ae86_12-797581.jpg
>>
>> The model number is AE86. I Japan they're used as drift cars. I am a
>> car guy BIG TIME!
>
> So here is my little run-around:
> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/E350_0387-E2.jpg

Nice ride. A bit ostentatious, perhaps? (or, maybe a bit of the green-
eyed monster on my part?)

>> I also play in a band, and am looking for something unique to haul the
>> stuff around, and have been looking for a halfway decent Divco to do
>> the job!
> You might start with some web searches, they must be out there.

Found on on eBay, $5000. Not in bad shape, either.
It would be mostly Toyota by the time I got done with it!

Savageduck

May 14, 2009, 2:54:01 PM5/14/09

Remember, "sometimes less is more" it is nice to have access to all
your stuff, but if you overload yourself there are problems.
On a hike, or in a museum, or even street photography too much can be a
burdon which hinders your photography.

>>> My nym, in Japanese, means '8 6'. It refers to this:
>>>
>>> http://www.driftinjapan.com/uploaded_images/ae86_12-797581.jpg
>>>
>>> The model number is AE86. I Japan they're used as drift cars. I am a
>>> car guy BIG TIME!
>>
>> So here is my little run-around:
>> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/E350_0387-E2.jpg
>
> Nice ride. A bit ostentatious, perhaps? (or, maybe a bit of the green-
> eyed monster on my part?)

Not really, this is an E350, I got this to replace my 1996 S600 a V12
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/S600%40MorroBay.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/S600_6.jpg which, with some
maintenance repairs needs and gas prices, was just not economical to
run any more.

>>> I also play in a band, and am looking for something unique to haul the
>>> stuff around, and have been looking for a halfway decent Divco to do
>>> the job!
>> You might start with some web searches, they must be out there.
>
> Found on on eBay, $5000. Not in bad shape, either.
> It would be mostly Toyota by the time I got done with it!

Now there is a project for you. Time to get started.

>>> Now look...I've started drooling again! ;p....

--
Regards,
Savageduck

Message has been deleted

Savageduck

May 14, 2009, 4:15:32 PM5/14/09
On 2009-05-14 12:43:30 -0700, John A. <jo...@nowhere.invalid> said:

> I have to say his portfolio serves to further support my opinion that
> maternity portraits really really tend to the bizarre. Particularly
> since it seems either the photographer or the model insisted the belly
> be bare in pretty much every one.
>
> Either it's a nude or semi-nude pose that looks nice but will surely
> ick the kid when he/she eventually finds it, or it has the belly
> exposed in some bizarrely incongruous or awkward setting.

Finds it?
You know it is going to be obscenely enlarged and proudly & prominently
displayed in the living room.

> Nothing against this photographer. It's just a very awkward subject
> that I don't think I've ever seen done really well. Not that I could
> do it well myself.

The whole concept of wedding photographs, baby pics and other types of
sentimental portraiture is somewhat nauseating to me.
...but I guess some earn a living from it.

--
Regards,
Savageduck

Bruce

May 14, 2009, 4:44:21 PM5/14/09
Savageduck <savageduck1{REMOVESPAM}@me.com> wrote:

>This is definitely what I would call the ultimate photo bag - no
>excuses for leaving anything behind!

That's not a photo bag, it's a mobile portrait studio! ;-)

tony cooper

May 14, 2009, 5:11:14 PM5/14/09

There are words that have a definition in BrE that is different from
the AmE definition, but I use them with the AmE definition. Context
should tell you that.

For example, the British use "surgery" as a noun to describe a
doctor's office or a MP's office. We use it as a noun to describe the
room in a hospital where operations are performed. I would not use
the word with BrE meaning unless it was clear from context that I was
using it in the BrE sense.

Sig lines, if formatted correctly, will not appear where the post
content is quoted unless the quoter is using that dog's breakfast
called "Google Groups".

ray

May 14, 2009, 5:32:58 PM5/14/09
On Wed, 13 May 2009 14:38:10 -0700, Savageduck wrote:

> I was in town this morning and saw what one of our local "Pro"
> photographers had parked outside his store in Paso Robles.
>

> This is definitely what I would call the ultimate photo bag - no excuses
> for leaving anything behind!
>

> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/JD-Devco1/index.html

It would be a bit difficult to get it in my backpack when I go hiking or
biking.

Savageduck

May 14, 2009, 5:41:36 PM5/14/09

It's OK Tony, Doug is convinced you are a subversive, socialist, Anglo
mole, not just another Floridian.
--
Regards,
Savageduck

Savageduck

May 14, 2009, 5:44:27 PM5/14/09

...but you could get your bike or backpack in it.
Then get to your trailhead and select the photographic weapons for the
laborious part.
A veritable base camp.
--
Regards,
Savageduck

Hachiroku ハチロク

May 14, 2009, 5:52:15 PM5/14/09
On Thu, 14 May 2009 11:54:01 -0700, Savageduck wrote:

>> I get them at the Salvation Army for <$5. If you're patient, you can find
>> some good stuff there. I even bought a camera kit with a Ricoh KR-5
>> 'student camera' (really good images and a great, forgiving camera to use
>> for 'snapshots'), lenses and flash for $15!
>
> Remember, "sometimes less is more" it is nice to have access to all
> your stuff, but if you overload yourself there are problems.
> On a hike, or in a museum, or even street photography too much can be a
> burdon which hinders your photography.

I usually pick two cameras and two lenses for each, or two cameras, one
with two lenses ('normal' 50mm and a zoom) and another with a fixed lens
like a 135.

If I pick the two Minoltas, the lenses are interchangable.

A lot of the time I take two film and the Olympus so I don't have to wait
for processing (A whole HOUR!!!)

Savageduck

May 14, 2009, 6:05:22 PM5/14/09

Boy! you really load up!!

I prefer to go lighter.
Once I leave my vehicle I am down to a D300 with one or two (3 if I
want to add to my selection confusion) lenses, depending on what I have
in mind.
Add to that a few field essentials and I am done.

Lighten your load and you will be a lot more comfortable taking photographs.
--
Regards,
Savageduck

tony cooper

May 14, 2009, 6:44:15 PM5/14/09

Whilst* I have never hanged a chad, voted for a Bush, attached a
bumper sticker to my car to promote gun ownership, picketed an
abortion clinic, or given a rat's ass whether Adam marries Eve or
Steve, I assure you that I am a Floridian.

I have had, at various times, both moles and armadillos in my yard.
Both have surprised me on inspection. Moles are much smaller than
they are shown my grandchildren's copy of "Wind In The Willows". Tiny
little things to do so much damage. Armadillos are much more fleet of
foot than they look like they could be. Hard to photograph because
they can move so fast.

*Added to add to Mike's confusion.

Peter

May 14, 2009, 6:54:59 PM5/14/09
"Savageduck" <savageduck1{REMOVESPAM}@me.com> wrote in message

>I was in town this morning and saw what one of our local "Pro"
>photographers had parked outside his store in Paso Robles.
>
> This is definitely what I would call the ultimate photo bag - no excuses
> for leaving anything behind!
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/JD-Devco1/index.html

I looks a bit large for a carry on plane bag.

--
Peter

ray

May 14, 2009, 8:12:08 PM5/14/09

I generally start from home with exactly what I need. I have vehicles with
sufficient carrying capacity.

Mr. Jon Pope

May 14, 2009, 8:18:03 PM5/14/09
Hey Savage have not been back to Paso Robles in many years hows the weather

> On 2009-05-13 16:45:04 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1{REMOVESPAM}@me.com>
> said:
>
>> On 2009-05-13 15:51:32 -0700, Alan Browne
>> <alan....@Freelunchvideotron.ca> said:

>>> Very nice statement as a pro - the restored truck is an eye catcher.
>>>
>>> Confident too - no phone number!
>>>
>>> (is the ph# on the back of the truck?)
>>
>> No phone number.
>> He has a web page, however the home page is not well laid out. the
>> navigation is not obvious at the bottom of the page.
>> Here is one of his galleries; http://www.jimmyde.com/fineart1.html
>>
>> In one of the shots you can see his truck is parked in front of the store
>> front on 12th Street in Paso Robles.
>
> Maybe I shouldn't have done him such a disservice and just posted this
> link http://www.jimmyde.com/main.html
>

> --
> Regards,
> Savageduck

John McWilliams

May 14, 2009, 10:23:59 PM5/14/09

Good on ya, tony; I think you've got 'em reeling.

--
john mcwilliams

Savageduck

May 14, 2009, 10:26:26 PM5/14/09

You know, playing Devil's advocate is a pain.

I'm a load minimalist myself.
--
Regards,
Savageduck

Savageduck

May 14, 2009, 10:28:36 PM5/14/09
On 2009-05-14 17:18:03 -0700, "Mr. Jon Pope" <mrjo...@cox.net> said:

> Hey Savage have not been back to Paso Robles in many years hows the weather

96F today out here at the lake, and dry.

--
Regards,
Savageduck

Savageduck

May 14, 2009, 10:30:39 PM5/14/09

What! No ground squirrels & gophers in FL?
--
Regards,
Savageduck

Savageduck

May 14, 2009, 10:33:58 PM5/14/09

That will be $15 for one checked bag.

It will get youto the Airport though.
--
Regards,
Savageduck

tony cooper

May 14, 2009, 11:26:22 PM5/14/09
On Thu, 14 May 2009 19:30:39 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1{REMOVESPAM}@me.com> wrote:

The squirrel population in my yard is plentiful, fat, and sassy. They
are kept fat from the contents of my bird feeder. I had hoped to
attract the migrating Painted Buntings that move through this area in
May, but the bird feeder was kept bouncing by brawling Blue Jays,
Cardinals, and squirrels. The Buntings passed me by.

I have never seen a Florida gopher, but then I've never walked around
the Capitol building in Tallahassee (our state capitol) and watched
the Legislators go pher the money the lobbyists are handing out.

Hachiroku

May 15, 2009, 7:38:41 AM5/15/09

The different camera/lens combinations have different characteristics.
I only carry this much when it's a specific goal to get some good photos.
For 'everyday' I usually just take the SRT101 or one of the Ricohs with 2
lenses, in a small bag, for the times I just happen to see something in
my travels. Those two are very easy to compose, quick and easy metering
and easy to grab lens rings. When I'm actually going to think about what
I'm shooting I grab another like the EOS A2 or the 8008.

Peter

May 15, 2009, 2:45:24 PM5/15/09

> That will be $15 for one checked bag.
>
> It will get youto the Airport though.

Where I live, $15 won't get me close to the airport. <G>

--
Peter

Annika1980

May 15, 2009, 3:19:17 PM5/15/09
On May 13, 7:50 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1{REMOVESP...@me.com> wrote:

> Maybe I shouldn't have done him such a disservice and just posted this
> link

http://www.jimmyde.com/main.html

I can't look at the pic on that page without thinking about Douglas
MacDonald, Australia's most sought-after Famous Wedding Photographer.

Savageduck

May 15, 2009, 4:09:09 PM5/15/09

They might be long lost cousins.

--
Regards,
Savageduck

John McWilliams

May 15, 2009, 4:19:56 PM5/15/09

There's at least one priceless mislabeled photo, in the "Bridal
lingerie" section: Ballet slippers, and naught else, doesn't qualify as
lingerie, bridal or not..... although it's a comely shot, indeed.

--
john mcwilliams

Savageduck

May 15, 2009, 5:59:21 PM5/15/09

His strength, it appears, is not language.
...but as far as cliental goes, there is no accounting for taste??
--
Regards,
Savageduck

Atheist Chaplain

May 16, 2009, 12:13:38 AM5/16/09
"Annika1980" <annik...@aol.com> wrote in message

http://www.jimmyde.com/main.html

fornicate you Brett, you mentioned it and suddenly it appears.............
:-P

--
[This comment is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Church of
Scientology International]

Savageduck

May 16, 2009, 12:30:59 AM5/16/09
On 2009-05-15 21:13:38 -0700, "Atheist Chaplain" <abu...@cia.gov> said:

> "Annika1980" <annik...@aol.com> wrote in message
On

> May 13, 7:50 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1{REMOVESP...@me.com> wrote:
>

>> Maybe I shouldn't have done him such a disservice and just posted this
>> link
>
> http://www.jimmyde.com/main.html
>
> I can't look at the pic on that page without thinking about Douglas
> MacDonald, Australia's most sought-after Famous Wedding Photographer.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> fornicate you Brett, you mentioned it and suddenly it appears............. :-P

Ugly! Ugly!

That is what target fixation can get you.
The Tennessee Demon has been waiting on on something such as this for years!

--
Regards,
Savageduck

Atheist Chaplain

May 16, 2009, 6:42:51 AM5/16/09
"Savageduck" <savageduck1{REMOVESPAM}@me.com> wrote in message

I think timing had more to do with it, I read Brett's reply and then did a
refresh and suddenly he who shall not be named appeared :-)

Paul Furman

May 16, 2009, 12:19:11 PM5/16/09
John A. wrote:

> Nothing against this photographer. It's just a very awkward subject

http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/page/3/
A silly web site but, oh well :-)

Savageduck

May 16, 2009, 12:35:19 PM5/16/09

The horror! ...The horror!
--
Regards,
Savageduck

Alan Browne

May 16, 2009, 1:32:11 PM5/16/09

It's good look at those "creative" efforts!

I am designated photog for a friend's family event in July and I really
want to work the grandparent/grandchildren angle to the hilt ... the
collection above is a stern warning to me to be very thoughtful and
careful. Thankfully the setting is pastoral, old farmhouse, barns,
fields and so on.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

Paul Furman

May 16, 2009, 2:05:29 PM5/16/09
Alan Browne wrote:
> Paul Furman wrote:
>> John A. wrote:
>>>
>>> Nothing against this photographer. It's just a very awkward subject
>>
>> http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/page/3/
>> A silly web site but, oh well :-)
>
> It's good look at those "creative" efforts!
>
> I am designated photog for a friend's family event in July and I really
> want to work the grandparent/grandchildren angle to the hilt ... the
> collection above is a stern warning to me to be very thoughtful and
> careful. Thankfully the setting is pastoral, old farmhouse, barns,
> fields and so on.

There are many lessons to be learned there <g>. Sometimes it takes a
while to catch all the subtle wrongness.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Alan Browne

May 16, 2009, 2:27:11 PM5/16/09
Paul Furman wrote:
> Alan Browne wrote:
>> Paul Furman wrote:

>>> http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/page/3/
>>> A silly web site but, oh well :-)
>>
>> It's good look at those "creative" efforts!
>>
>> I am designated photog for a friend's family event in July and I
>> really want to work the grandparent/grandchildren angle to the hilt
>> ... the collection above is a stern warning to me to be very
>> thoughtful and careful. Thankfully the setting is pastoral, old
>> farmhouse, barns, fields and so on.
>
> There are many lessons to be learned there <g>. Sometimes it takes a
> while to catch all the subtle wrongness.

What? There's something wrong with a blue-white-grey sweater against a
sky blue BG, a goofy grin, bad pose and lights reflected in the eyes?

And really, shouldn't you grab your pregnant wife's ass in a portrait?
After all they are half nude.

The Anglican priest in shorts with the kid choking mommy is actually
great as long as you have some sense of humour.

Paul Furman

May 16, 2009, 3:54:29 PM5/16/09
Alan Browne wrote:
> Paul Furman wrote:
>> Alan Browne wrote:

>>> It's good look at those "creative" efforts!
>>>
>>> I am designated photog for a friend's family event in July and I
>>> really want to work the grandparent/grandchildren angle to the hilt
>>> ... the collection above is a stern warning to me to be very
>>> thoughtful and careful. Thankfully the setting is pastoral, old
>>> farmhouse, barns, fields and so on.
>>
>> There are many lessons to be learned there <g>. Sometimes it takes a
>> while to catch all the subtle wrongness.
>>

> What? There's something wrong with a blue-white-grey sweater against a
> sky blue BG, a goofy grin, bad pose and lights reflected in the eyes?

That's fine but the shadows from the eyeglasses on his crossed eyes look
like some sort of cruel makeup malfunction. Hard to notice through the
reflections though.

> And really, shouldn't you grab your pregnant wife's ass in a portrait?
> After all they are half nude.

Sure, her jeans are unbuttoned. Go for it!

> The Anglican priest in shorts with the kid choking mommy is actually
> great as long as you have some sense of humour.

:-)

That would be a fun memorable family photo indeed. I'm assuming one of
the shots came out 'straight' <g>.

Paul Furman

May 17, 2009, 2:30:40 AM5/17/09

http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/2009/05/10/what-a-vision/

>> What? There's something wrong with a blue-white-grey sweater against
>> a sky blue BG, a goofy grin, bad pose and lights reflected in the eyes?
>
> That's fine but the shadows from the eyeglasses on his crossed eyes look
> like some sort of cruel makeup malfunction. Hard to notice through the
> reflections though.

Wife looks good though :-)

Savageduck

May 17, 2009, 2:43:01 AM5/17/09

I'll bet there is some serious prism in those lenses.

> Wife looks good though :-)

She is probably with him, because he is the son of a former member of
the SAVAK who managed to get a fortune out of Iran after the fall of
the Shah.
She would probably, "vanish" if she even hinted at leaving him.
I'm surprised he isn't stroking a Persian cat.

--
Regards,
Savageduck

Alan Browne

May 17, 2009, 11:30:32 AM5/17/09

I neglected to mention the harsh red against the sky blue background...
tough, tough!!!

Peter

May 17, 2009, 11:50:11 AM5/17/09
"Alan Browne" <alan....@Freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote in message

> And really, shouldn't you grab your pregnant wife's ass in a portrait?
> After all they are half nude.

Look closely at their faces. She may be his sister, not his wife.
Oops! OTOH they may be in Applachia.

> The Anglican priest in shorts with the kid choking mommy is actually great
> as long as you have some sense of humour.

Whenever will you Aussies learn there is only one "u" in humor. <G>

--
Peter

Alan Browne

May 17, 2009, 12:09:12 PM5/17/09
Peter wrote:
> "Alan Browne" <alan....@Freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote in message
>

>> And really, shouldn't you grab your pregnant wife's ass in a portrait?
>> After all they are half nude.
>
> Look closely at their faces. She may be his sister, not his wife.
> Oops! OTOH they may be in Applachia.

I really don't think terms like sister/brother/cousin/uncle/aunt are
used the same in Appalachia as we use them... I saw a side splitting
video of a guy from Arkansas, singing, trying to explain his family tree.

>> The Anglican priest in shorts with the kid choking mommy is actually
>> great as long as you have some sense of humour.
>>

> Whenever will you Aussies learn there is only one "u" in humor. <G>

We Canadians are a confused lot and we use or drop the "u" at will.
Tell ya what though, when you yanks learn to write something as simple
as the date properly I'll change my "colours".

J�rgen Exner

May 17, 2009, 12:16:58 PM5/17/09
"Peter" <pete...@nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>Whenever will you Aussies learn there is only one "u" in humor. <G>

That depends upon if you are writing in English or in Americanese.
As the language of international Usenet is English .......

jue

Alan Browne

May 17, 2009, 12:37:42 PM5/17/09

The language of international usenet is the language of the people using
it as they see fit.

Joe Makowiec

May 17, 2009, 9:04:13 PM5/17/09
On 17 May 2009 in rec.photo.digital, Alan Browne wrote:

> I really don't think terms like sister/brother/cousin/uncle/aunt are
> used the same in Appalachia as we use them... I saw a side splitting
> video of a guy from Arkansas, singing, trying to explain his family
> tree.

This one?

http://www.google.com/search?q=I+am+my+own+grandpa

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Email: http://makowiec.org/contact/?Joe
Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/

Grant

May 17, 2009, 11:25:08 PM5/17/09

Probably when we stop seeing 'lense' :)

Grant.
--
http://bugsplatter.id.au

Annika1980

May 17, 2009, 11:42:06 PM5/17/09
On May 16, 12:13 am, "Atheist Chaplain" <abu...@cia.gov> wrote:

> I can't look at the pic on that page without thinking about Douglas
> MacDonald, Australia's most sought-after Famous Wedding Photographer.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> fornicate you Brett, you mentioned it and suddenly it appears.............
> :-P

Just making sure he hadn't choked on his own vomit or something.

Bob Larter

May 18, 2009, 5:58:57 AM5/18/09
Savageduck wrote:
> On 2009-05-13 16:45:04 -0700, Savageduck
> <savageduck1{REMOVESPAM}@me.com> said:
>
>> On 2009-05-13 15:51:32 -0700, Alan Browne
>> <alan....@Freelunchvideotron.ca> said:

>>> Very nice statement as a pro - the restored truck is an eye catcher.
>>>
>>> Confident too - no phone number!
>>>
>>> (is the ph# on the back of the truck?)
>>
>> No phone number.
>> He has a web page, however the home page is not well laid out. the
>> navigation is not obvious at the bottom of the page.
>> Here is one of his galleries; http://www.jimmyde.com/fineart1.html
>>
>> In one of the shots you can see his truck is parked in front of the
>> store front on 12th Street in Paso Robles.

> Maybe I shouldn't have done him such a disservice and just posted this
> link http://www.jimmyde.com/main.html

Interesting. The guy clearly has artistic talent, but his technical
abilities fall short of making them a reality.

Bob Larter

May 18, 2009, 6:02:35 AM5/18/09
John A. wrote:

> On Wed, 13 May 2009 16:50:01 -0700, Savageduck
> <savageduck1{REMOVESPAM}@me.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2009-05-13 16:45:04 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1{REMOVESPAM}@me.com> said:

>>> No phone number.
>>> He has a web page, however the home page is not well laid out. the
>>> navigation is not obvious at the bottom of the page.
>>> Here is one of his galleries; http://www.jimmyde.com/fineart1.html
>>>
>>> In one of the shots you can see his truck is parked in front of the
>>> store front on 12th Street in Paso Robles.
>> Maybe I shouldn't have done him such a disservice and just posted this
>> link http://www.jimmyde.com/main.html
>
> I have to say his portfolio serves to further support my opinion that
> maternity portraits really really tend to the bizarre. Particularly
> since it seems either the photographer or the model insisted the belly
> be bare in pretty much every one.
>
> Either it's a nude or semi-nude pose that looks nice but will surely
> ick the kid when he/she eventually finds it, or it has the belly
> exposed in some bizarrely incongruous or awkward setting.

> Nothing against this photographer. It's just a very awkward subject
> that I don't think I've ever seen done really well. Not that I could
> do it well myself.

Personally, I think that pregnancy shots only work well when they're
completely nude. The "peek a boo" shots always look kind of weird to me.

Bob Larter

May 18, 2009, 6:04:00 AM5/18/09
Savageduck wrote:
> Finds it?
> You know it is going to be obscenely enlarged and proudly & prominently
> displayed in the living room.

>> Nothing against this photographer. It's just a very awkward subject
>> that I don't think I've ever seen done really well. Not that I could
>> do it well myself.
>
> The whole concept of wedding photographs, baby pics and other types of
> sentimental portraiture is somewhat nauseating to me.
> ...but I guess some earn a living from it.

They can be great if the photographer has some artistic sense & knows
what he's doing, but that's pretty rare.

Bob Larter

May 18, 2009, 6:17:29 AM5/18/09

OMFG. Those are some *bad* photos!

Atheist Chaplain

May 18, 2009, 8:01:27 AM5/18/09
"Annika1980" <annik...@aol.com> wrote in message

or secretly hoping ;-)

Alan Browne

May 18, 2009, 10:02:56 AM5/18/09
Joe Makowiec wrote:
> On 17 May 2009 in rec.photo.digital, Alan Browne wrote:
>
>> I really don't think terms like sister/brother/cousin/uncle/aunt are
>> used the same in Appalachia as we use them... I saw a side splitting
>> video of a guy from Arkansas, singing, trying to explain his family
>> tree.
>
> This one?
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=I+am+my+own+grandpa

That's it!

Bob Larter

May 19, 2009, 9:28:52 PM5/19/09
Annika1980 wrote:
> On May 13, 7:50 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1{REMOVESP...@me.com> wrote:
>
>> Maybe I shouldn't have done him such a disservice and just posted this
>> link
>
> http://www.jimmyde.com/main.html
>
> I can't look at the pic on that page without thinking about Douglas
> MacDonald, Australia's most sought-after Famous Wedding Photographer.

You think he's one of the guys with the camera-phones?

Bob Larter

May 19, 2009, 9:31:26 PM5/19/09
John McWilliams wrote:
> Savageduck wrote:

>>> http://www.jimmyde.com/main.html
>>>
>>> I can't look at the pic on that page without thinking about Douglas
>>> MacDonald, Australia's most sought-after Famous Wedding Photographer.
>>
>> They might be long lost cousins.
>
> There's at least one priceless mislabeled photo, in the "Bridal
> lingerie" section: Ballet slippers, and naught else, doesn't qualify as
> lingerie, bridal or not..... although it's a comely shot, indeed.

I was a bit surprised by the bridal g-string.

Bob Larter

May 19, 2009, 9:36:50 PM5/19/09
Joe Makowiec wrote:
> On 13 May 2009 in rec.photo.digital, Alan Browne wrote:

>> Savageduck wrote:
>
>>> Here is one of his galleries; http://www.jimmyde.com/fineart1.html
>> Definitely needs work (and WHAT? You were visiting a flash site!!!???)
>
> Nope, no Flash. It's a javascript technique called "Lightbox":
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightbox_(JavaScript)

The site works fine with Javascript disabled. I didn't even realise it
had script until you mentioned it.

Robert Coe

May 31, 2009, 8:25:04 AM5/31/09
On Thu, 14 May 2009 13:15:32 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1{REMOVESPAM}@me.com> wrote:
: The whole concept of wedding photographs, baby pics and other types
: of sentimental portraiture is somewhat nauseating to me. ...

Obviously you have no grandchildren.

Bob

Robert Coe

May 31, 2009, 8:28:31 AM5/31/09
On Sat, 16 May 2009 09:19:11 -0700, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote:
: John A. wrote:
: >
: > Nothing against this photographer. It's just a very awkward subject
:
: http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/page/3/
: A silly web site but, oh well :-)

"Page Not Found". Is that what's awkward about it?

Bob

Robert Coe

May 31, 2009, 8:41:38 AM5/31/09
On Sun, 17 May 2009 12:09:12 -0400, Alan Browne

: Peter wrote:
: > "Alan Browne" <alan....@Freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote in message
: > news:wemdnUYIivEdmJLX...@giganews.com...
: >
: >
: >> And really, shouldn't you grab your pregnant wife's ass in a portrait?
: >> After all they are half nude.
: >
: > Look closely at their faces. She may be his sister, not his wife.
: > Oops! OTOH they may be in Applachia.
:
: I really don't think terms like sister/brother/cousin/uncle/aunt are
: used the same in Appalachia as we use them... I saw a side splitting
: video of a guy from Arkansas, singing, trying to explain his family tree.
:
: >> The Anglican priest in shorts with the kid choking mommy is actually
: >> great as long as you have some sense of humour.
: >>
: >
: > Whenever will you Aussies learn there is only one "u" in humor. <G>
:
: We Canadians are a confused lot and we use or drop the "u" at will.
: Tell ya what though, when you yanks learn to write something as simple
: as the date properly I'll change my "colours".

That from someone who thinks Arkansas is in Appalachia.

Bob

Paul Furman

May 31, 2009, 9:27:31 AM5/31/09

Looks like they redesigned the scripting & the old links are broken.
Here's that maternity portrait: http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/?p=866

Savageduck

May 31, 2009, 12:16:36 PM5/31/09

Why would that be obvious?

I hold by my opinion even with grandchildren, nephews, nieces &
cousins, sentimental portraiture is artificial and nauseating. However
unposed spontaneous shots are a far more valuable record of the
character of the soon to be insufferable pre-pubescent.
--
Regards,
Savageduck

Alan Browne

May 31, 2009, 12:53:12 PM5/31/09

This is partly why the "pj" wedding approach has caught on over the last
10 or 20 years. While the de rigeur formals are taken, the photographer
also shoots informally to capture more spontaneous moments.

As for myself, I see nothing artificial and nauseating about formal
photos (as long as they don't take cliche's _too_ far). They are part
of the whole of photography and culture.

Not all pre-pubescent kids are insufferable. Some wait until they're 25
or 55 to reach that state.

Alan Browne

May 31, 2009, 1:05:37 PM5/31/09

Close enough. I was really referring to the notion that people in the
Appalachian region and surrounding states such as Arkansas have somewhat
confused family trees.

Thanks for the geography tip though. I always think of Arkansas as
further east than that.

But as to comparative geographic knowledge I will blow away 9 out of 10
Americans. And so would a 10 year old in Poland or S. Korea.

Still, the American practice of writing the date in month-day-year order
would only hilariously stupid if it weren't for the fact that it leaks
out of the US to confuse everyone else.

Savageduck

May 31, 2009, 1:57:01 PM5/31/09
On 2009-05-31 09:53:12 -0700, Alan Browne
<alan....@Freelunchvideotron.ca> said:

> On 31-05-09 12:16, Savageduck wrote:
>> On 2009-05-31 05:25:04 -0700, Robert Coe <b...@1776.COM> said:
>>
>>> On Thu, 14 May 2009 13:15:32 -0700, Savageduck
>>> <savageduck1{REMOVESPAM}@me.com> wrote:
>>> : The whole concept of wedding photographs, baby pics and other types
>>> : of sentimental portraiture is somewhat nauseating to me. ...
>>>
>>> Obviously you have no grandchildren.
>>>
>>> Bob
>>
>> Why would that be obvious?
>>
>> I hold by my opinion even with grandchildren, nephews, nieces & cousins,
>> sentimental portraiture is artificial and nauseating. However unposed
>> spontaneous shots are a far more valuable record of the character of the
>> soon to be insufferable pre-pubescent.
>
> This is partly why the "pj" wedding approach has caught on over the
> last 10 or 20 years. While the de rigeur formals are taken, the
> photographer also shoots informally to capture more spontaneous moments.
>
> As for myself, I see nothing artificial and nauseating about formal
> photos (as long as they don't take cliche's _too_ far). They are part
> of the whole of photography and culture.
>
> Not all pre-pubescent kids are insufferable. Some wait until they're
> 25 or 55 to reach that state.

So you know my step-daughter from hell?
--
Regards,
Savageduck

Savageduck

May 31, 2009, 2:00:21 PM5/31/09
On 2009-05-31 10:05:37 -0700, Alan Browne
<alan....@Freelunchvideotron.ca> said:

Strangely enough the US military convention is dd/mm/yy.
--
Regards,
Savageduck

Bob Larter

May 31, 2009, 2:28:07 PM5/31/09

At least that makes sense.

Bob Larter

May 31, 2009, 2:36:03 PM5/31/09

To be honest, I don't really mind that one. Sure, there are lots of
things that could be better about it, but it's definitely a big
improvement on all those weird-looking pregnancy shots where the woman
is fully clothed, except for her belly sticking out.

Alan Browne

May 31, 2009, 3:04:08 PM5/31/09
On 31-05-09 13:57, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2009-05-31 09:53:12 -0700, Alan Browne

>> Not all pre-pubescent kids are insufferable. Some wait until they're

>> 25 or 55 to reach that state.
>
> So you know my step-daughter from hell?

... a number of her cousins...

Alan Browne

May 31, 2009, 3:08:20 PM5/31/09

YYYY-MM-DD actually (ISO 8601). It's not strange at all. The US
military uses a lot of international standards such as that date format
and a thing called the Le Système International d'Unités.

In large part for NATO conformity (operations) and for R&D, specs, and
so on.

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

May 31, 2009, 3:55:12 PM5/31/09

? "Alan Browne" <alan....@Freelunchvideotron.ca> ?????? ??? ??????

and a thing called the Le Syst�me International d'Unit�s.

In large part for NATO conformity (operations) and for R&D, specs, and
so on.

So do the japanese. They write (eg) 2009 (year) 5 (month) 31 (day) where
year, month , day put the appropriate pictogramms.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

J. Clarke

May 31, 2009, 3:01:33 PM5/31/09

The Navy taught me dd MMM yy, with the MMM being the first three letters of
the name of the month. Much, much less potential for confusion that way.

Alan Browne

May 31, 2009, 4:23:36 PM5/31/09
On 31-05-09 15:55, Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
> ? "Alan Browne"<alan....@Freelunchvideotron.ca> ?????? ??? ??????
> On 31-05-09 14:00, Savageduck wrote:

>> Strangely enough the US military convention is dd/mm/yy.
>
> YYYY-MM-DD actually (ISO 8601). It's not strange at all. The US
> military uses a lot of international standards such as that date format

> and a thing called the Le Système International d'Unités.

> In large part for NATO conformity (operations) and for R&D, specs, and
> so on.
>
> So do the japanese. They write (eg) 2009 (year) 5 (month) 31 (day) where
> year, month , day put the appropriate pictogramms.

Think you could use a newsreader that does proper quote / attribution?

Paul J Gans

May 31, 2009, 9:52:38 PM5/31/09

I have adopted the habit of writing the date as, say 31 May 2009.
That's both unambiguous and clear as well as being a self-defining
format.

--
--- Paul J. Gans

Garrison K.

May 31, 2009, 11:08:04 PM5/31/09
On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 01:52:38 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans <ga...@panix.com>
wrote:

Yet, every operating system that I know sorts by numeric YYYY MM DD c.e. as
default. So I assign all my photo-folders in the same "it finally makes
sense" convention. I might temporarily reside in the USA, but I still sign
all documents and checks that way. It makes more perfect sense than the
regional moronic fool's conventions. Let the idiots and fools figure out
why I sign checks with YYYY MM DD c.e.. Hopefully, some day, they might
catch up to "it's obvious, you fucking morons and idiots! Get a fucking
clue!"

Just because I was taught their stupidity in school doesn't mean that I
have to adhere to their stupidity.

David J Taylor

Jun 1, 2009, 3:44:56 AM6/1/09
Paul J Gans wrote:
[]

> I have adopted the habit of writing the date as, say 31 May 2009.
> That's both unambiguous and clear as well as being a self-defining
> format.

In writing, I try to do the same, but with the natural significance order:

2009-May-31

With computer directories, I use the numeric month:

..\2009\05\31\..

..\2009-05-31\..

so that they are naturally date-sorted.

Cheers,
David

Bob Larter

Jun 1, 2009, 6:54:25 AM6/1/09

Ditto. Every time I do a shoot, it goes into a folder named
YYYY-MM-DD-Subject_description. It's not the most sophisticated system
in the world, but it's been working well for me for the last 6-7 years.
Oh, & I label my DVD-R backups the same way. I've just had occasion to
dig out some photos for someone from 2003, & it took me about 10 minutes
to find the right backup disk in the case.

It is loading more messages.