Nikon Short Telephoto (105-135) alternatives

William Jones

Mar 9, 2009, 3:46:42 PM3/9/09
I'm looking for an AF prime lens in the 105-135 range. It must be extremely
sharp.

Am I correct in assuming that the only glass available that fills this need
is the 105 Micro, the 105 DC and the 135 DC?

TIA---

Paul Furman

Mar 10, 2009, 12:53:20 AM3/10/09

Just the 105 Micro if you are mounting on a D60 or D40 and want AF but
I'm guessing that's not the case. There should be some third-party
options, and of course zooms, which you ruled out.

The 105 DC/135 DC are faster f/2 lenses, the 105 DC gets a better rating
here: http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_short.html I'd consider trading
my 85/1.4D for one of these, even if they were manual focus.

The 105 f/2.8 Micro is slow to AF... perhaps more precise but not easy
for action. It has VR but that won't help you get 'extremely sharp'.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

William Jones

Mar 10, 2009, 11:20:53 AM3/10/09
Thanks Paul. I should have mentioned I'd be using the lens on my D3.

"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message

Claudio Bonavolta

Mar 10, 2009, 3:42:00 PM3/10/09

Yes, you're right, these 3 lenses are those in present catalog and all
are very sharp.

The macro lens is one stop slower and best suited for macro work or
general photography.
The other two are fast lenses and are very good for low-light
photography or subjects that require a limited depth of field
(portraits, ...).

The choice between them depends mostly on the subject.

I use the 105/2.0 DC which is incredibly sharp, one of my sharpest lenses.
I can't say I use the de-focus feature that much ...

Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch

William Jones

Mar 10, 2009, 4:54:44 PM3/10/09
Thank you Claudio. I'm leaning towards the 105mm DC for these reasons: I'm
not planning any macro work, and I like the smaller size, lighter weight and
closer working distance of the 105 DC over the 135 DC.

Best of luck...

"Claudio Bonavolta" <cla...@bonavolta.ch> wrote in message

phil-new...@ipal.net

Mar 11, 2009, 3:06:03 AM3/11/09

My 135 F/2.0 is extremely sharp. But it's not AF. Maybe there is an AF
version of it. Otherwise the macro might be the way to go.