lens shade stuck

aquadiver

May 10, 2009, 8:21:11 AM5/10/09
The built-in lens shade/hood on my Canon EF 400mm f5.6L is stuck.
It's supposed to slide out and back, but for some reason it takes
incredible force to move it at all. If I could get it all the way out,
I wouldn't be able to get it back to change filters, put the lens cap
on, etc. If I left it all the way in, it wouldn't be doing its job at
all. At the moment, it's pretty much stuck in place about an inch out,
and I can't budge it.

Anyone else had this problem? Any clues on how to fix it? Any ideas
welcome, even just funny ones.

Thanks.

Marvin

May 10, 2009, 11:50:32 AM5/10/09
Something like that happened with my wife's camera.
Fortunately, it happened while it was under warrantee, so
she had it repaired for free. I don't suggest you try
repairing it youself.

Frank ess

May 10, 2009, 12:50:15 PM5/10/09

I think Marvin is right about the risk of self-applied repair
attempts.

My only move prior to trucking off to the repair shop would be
applying some gentle heat to the hood. Differential in expansion rate
might yield a short interval when the function is less impaired.

--
Frank ess

Frank Deux

May 10, 2009, 2:01:54 PM5/10/09
"aquadiver" <george....@gmail.com> wrote in message

I agree with the others about getting it repaired professionally. However,
it may be possible to unjam it by twisting it in the opposite direction you
twisted it, but I wouldn't recommend you repairing it yourself in case
something were to go wrong.

Nicko

May 10, 2009, 6:09:17 PM5/10/09
On May 10, 7:21 am, aquadiver <george.cathc...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snips>

> The built-in lens shade/hood on my Canon EF 400mm f5.6L is stuck.
>

> Anyone else had this problem? Any clues on how to fix it? Any ideas
> welcome, even just funny ones.

K-Y?

A bucket of cold water?

--
YOP...

whisky-dave

May 11, 2009, 8:19:20 AM5/11/09

"aquadiver" <george....@gmail.com> wrote in message

3 in 1 oil :-)

Is it insured, maybe it'll be a little slippery and may fall and need
repairing/replacing.