Lithium AA's in Panasonic DMC-LS80EB-S

Photo Mad

Mar 16, 2009, 7:14:35 AM3/16/09
The Panasonic manual states you cannot use Lithium AA's in the
Panasonic DMC-LS80EB-S digital camera

It allows you to use nimh/ alkaline, or Oxyride (Panasonic own
brand !!) in a menu setting.

I think this is just so that the battery capacity remaining indication
is correct, as type is selected.

I do not see why you cannot use lithium, with their slightly higher
voltage, and greatly increased capacity.

I personally found Oxyrides in another camera not much better than
ordinary alkalines.

Anyone any experience of this ?

ASAAR

Mar 16, 2009, 10:58:56 AM3/16/09
On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 04:14:35 -0700 (PDT), Photo Mad wrote:

> I do not see why you cannot use lithium, with their slightly higher
> voltage, and greatly increased capacity.
>
> I personally found Oxyrides in another camera not much better than
> ordinary alkalines.

When fresh, oxyrides provide about the same voltage as lithiums.
When using them, lithiums generate more heat. If you shoot rapidly,
especially if the flash is used, the heat may damage your camera.

tn...@mucks.net

Mar 16, 2009, 2:55:33 PM3/16/09
On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 04:14:35 -0700 (PDT), Photo Mad
<DOI...@googlemail.com> wrote:

Lithium AA's are not recommended because they can leak and/or
release highly corrosive lithium hydroxide gas that will quickly
destroy a digital camera.

tn...@mucks.net

Mar 16, 2009, 4:20:36 PM3/16/09

In addition to heat generation, the possibility of corrosive leaking
and/or corrosive venting of gases there is another more likely
factor that keeps camera manufacturers from recommending
lithium AA's.

Lithium AA's have a PTC over current safety device built in.
The (positive temperature coefficient) safety device is used to
turn the battery off when its temperature gets above 185 degrees
Fahrenheit. This disruption of power can cause the camera to
shut down or cause data corruption. The temperature itself,185 will
most likely not harm the camera, but the power interruption may.

Using side by side lithium's can further increase the likely hood of
more heat generation. The fact that lithium AA's are less dense
than alkaline or NIMH further increases their chance of getting hot
because they have lesser ability to absorb the heat.

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/lithiuml91l92_appman.pdf

ASAAR

Mar 16, 2009, 8:05:26 PM3/16/09
On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 16:20:36 -0400, tn...@mucks.net wrote:

> Using side by side lithium's can further increase the likely hood of
> more heat generation. The fact that lithium AA's are less dense
> than alkaline or NIMH further increases their chance of getting hot
> because they have lesser ability to absorb the heat.
>
> http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/lithiuml91l92_appman.pdf

Because that data sheet showed a photo of the new name of the L91
("Ultimate Lithium") and packaging compared with the old version
("e2 Lithium"), I'm surprised that there was no mention of the
lesser EA91, ("Advanced Lithium"). At the higher currents used by
many cameras, the EA91 has a much lower capacity, rated at 4x the
life, vs. 8x for the L91 AA lithium cells. It also has a shorter
shelf life, 10 vs 15 years, and unlike the L91 which is rated at
being usable down to temperatures of 40° below zero ( both °C and
°F), this info. is missing from the EA91's data sheet, so its
recommended operating temperature range may not be as wide.

From what I've seen in stores, the Ultimate and Advanced lithiums
are sold at the same price, so there's little reason to buy the
latter unless one is an Energizer shareholder.

Dave Cohen

Mar 17, 2009, 11:15:57 AM3/17/09
My first canon, a A40 specifically mentioned not to use Lithium. My
current A95 doesn't mention Lithium. I never inquired as to the reason,
once I checked the price of Lithium in the store, no further reason was
needed.
On a set of pre-charged Eneloops, I got over 600 shots within a month.
If I take a year to run them down, I only get a measly 300+ shots. I can
live with that.
Dave Cohen

Paul

Mar 17, 2009, 11:28:08 AM3/17/09

<tn...@mucks.net> wrote in message

My Pentax K200D came with a set of Eveready lithium AAs. They worked fine in
that camera, and also in a Canon S5IS I used recently.

ASAAR

Mar 17, 2009, 12:24:58 PM3/17/09
On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 11:15:57 -0400, Dave Cohen wrote:

>> From what I've seen in stores, the Ultimate and Advanced lithiums
>> are sold at the same price, so there's little reason to buy the
>> latter unless one is an Energizer shareholder.
>
> My first canon, a A40 specifically mentioned not to use Lithium. My
> current A95 doesn't mention Lithium. I never inquired as to the reason,
> once I checked the price of Lithium in the store, no further reason was
> needed.
> On a set of pre-charged Eneloops, I got over 600 shots within a month.
> If I take a year to run them down, I only get a measly 300+ shots. I can
> live with that.

Definitely. My first two Powershots (bought 9 years ago, each of
which cost more than some of my DSLRs) used NiMH batteries that
provided less than 100 shots per charge and in a single day's use
often had to be recharged several times. My A620 gets over well
over 1,000 shots per charge, and now that I use it less, even
alkalines are practical, with a single set lasting a year or more.

tn...@mucks.net

Mar 17, 2009, 3:37:59 PM3/17/09

>> Lithium AA's are not recommended because they can leak and/or
>> release highly corrosive lithium hydroxide gas that will quickly
>> destroy a digital camera.
>
>My Pentax K200D came with a set of Eveready lithium AAs. They worked fine in
>that camera, and also in a Canon S5IS I used recently.

I'm guessing that each model of camera is tested to see if under the
worst case scenario the lithium AA's can reach the threshold of the
PTC activation. If the particular model of camera is for example
sluggish enough between cycling multiple shots with the flash then it
is possible that the PTC threshold would never be met. The camera in
that case would have no recommendation against the use of lithium's.